Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Latest "Ask Cryptic" Details Direction of the Game

2»

Comments

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

LOL territory control.  How can you have any meaningful territory control in such a heavily instanced game?  What...is your fleet going to control instance #11 of something?

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

Don't underestimate the extent to which Atari screwed Cryptic over.

Anyway, STO is pretty fun. Yes, it's a cash-shop game like all PWE games, but you can avoid spending much if you don't want to.

The Foundry (user-created content) and Duty Officer system are pretty unique - worth checking out.

• ShardWarriorShardWarrior Member Posts: 290

Originally posted by Naevius

Don't underestimate the extent to which Atari screwed Cryptic over.

Nor should anyone underestimate the extent to which Cryptic will try to lay blame on anyone but themselves.

The Foundry (user-created content) and Duty Officer system are pretty unique - worth checking out.

City of Heroes had User Generated Content in April of 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes#Issues_.28free_updates.29) via Mission Architect, years ahead of STO. The Foundry is nothing "unique" at all.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Originally posted by ShardWarrior

City of Heroes had User Generated Content in April of 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Heroes#Issues_.28free_updates.29) via Mission Architect, years ahead of STO. The Foundry is nothing "unique" at all.

I thought the same thing before I tried it.

I'm by no means a big supporter of Cryptic or STO, but the Foundry, at least in terms of built missions, is FAR better than MA.  MA missions are mostly just XP grinders.  Foundry missions, at least the ones I've played, are often on the same level or better than episode missions.

Could just be that Trekkies put more love into their missions, or they have better tools, but from my experience, the resulting content quality couldn't be more different between the two systems.

All that said, if it's Cryptics aim to slow development of content and let their paying players do the work(it wouldn't surprise me), they'll be... well... on par with what I expect them to do.

The Duty Officer system isn't bad, either.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

it's a cash-shop game like all PWE games, but you can avoid spending much if you don't want to.

Simply put , bull. CO was released F2P, long before PWE got a hold of Cryptic. Cryptic had designed both games to go F2P. Cryptic's C-store design was well in place and populated even before PWE took formal control. The longer you play the less avoidable it becomes, incidently by design.

Originally posted by Robsolf
    Foundry missions, at least the ones I've played, are often on the same level or better than episode missions.

That is not saying much, given the overall very poor quality of the Developer created missions in STO.

Mission Architect missions in CoH can be great as well. The problem lies in finding them, which is a definite issue with the system.

• staranstaran Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Gated content, lottery's, and no plan for new fe's?
    No thx

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

it's a cash-shop game like all PWE games, but you can avoid spending much if you don't want to.

Simply put , bull. CO was released F2P, long before PWE got a hold of Cryptic. Cryptic had designed both games to go F2P. Cryptic's C-store design was well in place and populated even before PWE took formal control. The longer you play the less avoidable it becomes, incidently by design.

100% Spot on. 

• JounarJounar Member UncommonPosts: 142

Not to mention how much Craptic milked the playerbase right from the start when the game was pay to play. Hell the 2 STF's that were promised around the first couple of months after launch (Into the Hive and Khan's children) not only still havent made it into the game but don't even seem to be ever added according to the last dev chat.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Jounar

Not to mention how much Craptic milked the playerbase right from the start when the game was pay to play. Hell the 2 STF's that were promised around the first couple of months after launch (Into the Hive and Khan's children) not only still havent made it into the game but don't even seem to be ever added according to the last dev chat.

"Milked" is putting it lightly. The scam boxes are more like thievery.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

The most disappointing MMO I've ever played by a large margin.  I just couldn't feel comfortable with the ground or space combat.  Nothing felt right and I just gave up.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    The most disappointing MMO I've ever played by a large margin.  I just couldn't feel comfortable with the ground or space combat.  Nothing felt right and I just gave up.

I agree for the most part. I enjoyed space combat for a while, and I enjoyed acquiring new ships. Though, new ships are gained mostly through the C-store now. Anyway, STO just felt like a shell of a game for the longest time, and it feels even more so now that the dev team seems to refuse to release any steady mission content. Personally, I want a story continuation, I want the plot of the game to move forward somehow. Im tired of C-store fluff being featured on the main page.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by Cacaphony

I agree for the most part. I enjoyed space combat for a while, and I enjoyed acquiring new ships. Though, new ships are gained mostly through the C-store now. Anyway, STO just felt like a shell of a game for the longest time, and it feels even more so now that the dev team seems to refuse to release any steady mission content. Personally, I want a story continuation, I want the plot of the game to move forward somehow. Im tired of C-store fluff being featured on the main page.

I actually liked the combat, it was/is far better than Eve's. However the game lacked in pretty much everything else. For one thing it just did not feel right to lose your starship and then just immediately respawn. And the Klingon/Fed conflict was really poorly done and could have been some really nice PvP setting.

I think Cryptic just did not take the IP serious and just created a casual space shooter, which is really a shame for such an IP.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I'd like a lot more of the storyline as well, which they have been slow in producing.

Probably more than that, I'd like some longer term, self-sustaining content to make it less of a "shell of a game".  While we don't know the specifics yet, I believe that fleet advancement and fleet starbases may fill that need, in that it appears that things like exploration, colonization, and territorial control will all be tied into it.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Originally posted by Rohn

I'd like a lot more of the storyline as well, which they have been slow in producing.
    Probably more than that, I'd like some longer term, self-sustaining content to make it less of a "shell of a game".  While we don't know the specifics yet, I believe that fleet advancement and fleet starbases may fill that need, in that it appears that things like exploration, colonization, and territorial control will all be tied into it.

I agree with what you have said. As for fleet starbases, I haven't paid that much thought as I don't fly with a fleet, but it does sound interesting. I would really enjoy opened up sector space where the walls are torn down between sectors, and a revamped exploration mode where I can fly in one direction and discover new things as I go.

I feel that my frustration stems from the C store focus. I feel that the game would be soooooooo much better had they made more content on a regular basis and some c-store content in the mix, than mostly c-store stuff with a little content mixed in.
    Anyway, I am putting the game down for a good long while to wait and see what happens. Perhaps in a year, perhaps two, the game will provide me with a few surprises when I decided to pick it up again.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Rohn

Any fan of Star Trek or any space game MMO or otherwise hoped for more. Instead we recieved CO in space. Combat that was pretty well 2-D with little actual thought given to it, other then poorly copying SFC III. The game design , engine and server ( remember this is a single server architecture that is heaily partitioned ) setting have become the limiting factors to this game. 

I'm sorry to say that the things you are dreaming and wishing for, will never transpire.  The starbases will be nothing more then an instanced zone that you'll be able to access by warping into, much like the craftering sector Alpha, or whatever they call it. At which point you'll have predetermined hulls from which to dress the house with . Much like Ship bridges they will be about as useful .  Much like they promised ship bridges they will deliver star bases in much the same manner. Oh , but this time they will be tied to the C-store more heavily, either through some sort of maintenance fee or purchases , most likely through an indirect route.

As far as exploration , they tried that with their famed "Genesis engine " if you recall ? How successful was that ? This means they have no clue or concept on how to implement it and that extends to territorial control  ( in a heavily instanced game ), as well as colonization . It gets back to the initial design choices . To invest that heavily in those concepts would require more time and money then Cryptic would ever draw out of the game financially, so it's a non-starter.

I'm sorry to say that the things you are dreaming and wishing for, will never transpire.  The starbases will be nothing more then an instanced zone that you'll be able to access by warping into, much like the craftering sector Alpha, or whatever they call it. At which point you'll have predetermined hulls from which to dress the house with . Much like Ship bridges they will be about as useful .  Much like they promised ship bridges they will deliver star bases in much the same manner. Oh , but this time they will be tied to the C-store more heavily, either through some sort of maintenance fee or purchases , most likely through an indirect route.

As far as exploration , they tried that with their famed "Genesis engine " if you recall ? How successful was that ? This means they have no clue or concept on how to implement it and that extends to territorial control  ( in a heavily instanced game ), as well as colonization . It gets back to the initial design choices . To invest that heavily in those concepts would require more time and money then Cryptic would ever draw out of the game financially, so it's a non-starter.

I agree with this and would also advise against getting hopes up over fleet starbases and "territory control". These things will most certainly be instanced as the Cryptic engine is written to use instancing. They are most certainly not going to rewrite the entire engine as the amount of work involved is cost prohibitive.

If I were to wager, I will bet that fleet starbases in STO will be just like "hideouts/lairs" in CO. You will get to pick from a pre-set design with little to no customization. These will also be their own instance, just like your bridge/ship interior are now. Of course, there will be the plethora of "add ons" available in the C-Store or via a new lockbox, which of course will require a key to open.

Any dreams of vast territory control/pvp will be quickly dashed. I would bet these are going to be one fleet vs another fleet in a "challenge" type scenario. These will not be open FFA zones at all. This would be very similar (if not exactly) how supergroup bases were implemented in City of Heroes.

Essentially, wishing for a sandbox gaming experience in an engine that is written to only provide a themepark is going to lead to disappointment.