Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions about roleplaying

Hi all! I've been playing mmorpg's since 2002 but never got into roleplaying. So I have a few questions regarding this subgenre of mmorpg's. I am asking about games in general, but notable differences may occur in different games which is interesting as well. Anyway, here are my questions:

1- how does it generally work in mmorpg's, not looking at specific games?

2- is roleplaying as addictive as "normal" playing, or less or more? (either in a bad/good way or neutral)

3- are you much tied to events and the time you are playing, or is/can it be quite free?

4- are friendships in rp environments closer?

5- what can you learn from it? I can imagine that playing a role can be quite good for your personality, for example.

Thank you for your time :)

-Mike

Comments

• AiriannaSAiriannaS Member Posts: 6

its hard, need a guild that likes to role play together, u wont get an entire server to do this

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

Originally posted by Powermike

It works how you want it to work, it's all about imagination. If you have others with which to RP then you have the tools in your head.

2- is roleplaying as addictive as "normal" playing, or less or more? (either in a bad/good way or neutral)

That all depends on whether you can get into it or not. If you're forced into by a guild or something, then it might not be addictive because you may not be enjoying yourself.

3- are you much tied to events and the time you are playing, or is/can it be quite free?

It is free, the events are what you make of it, you can create your own or go with what the game offers. It's up to you really. All depends on what you are striving for.

Depends on the people, RP does not make better friendships, just like-minded players that you can have fun with.

5- what can you learn from it? I can imagine that playing a role can be quite good for your personality, for example.

It's like drama class, you act some else's personality. The one you are envisioning with your toon. You learn what you want out of it. If you create your own story then you can alot on creative writing, story telling etc. Only limit is your imagination.

I've been a pen & paper RP-er for a long time before the mmo genre took off. It was fun for what it was, and a good social interactive medium for friends to share some memorable moments of imagination-gone-wild scenarios. It really is about what you want to get out of it.

Hope it helps.

• Thank you for your input :). @Gorwe: yeah I was specifically aiming at mmorpg's.

• KhaerosKhaeros Member Posts: 452

Originally posted by Powermike

1.)  Most MMORPGs have a /say channel and then some way to perform emotes through a command.  Roleplayers will either congregate on a specific server / location in the game to roleplay, or they will have events through their roleplaying guilds.

In general, roleplaying is moving towards a clique-oriented activity since it is such a niche style.  In addition, most roleplaying guilds also have a second activitiy these days (like raiding or pvp, or maybe both).  Not that you have to participate in it, but it seems like there are fewer people who solely RP.

To get involved, you usually check out any official server forums for special user channels, websites, guilds, etc.

2.)  It depends how your experiences with it go.  If you start getting involved in a few plots and they interest you, it could be just like a good book - itching to find out what happens next.  If nothing's going on, you're bored, or you get involved in out-of-character drama, it can be a deterrent.  Once you get involved with the community, creating conflict can be a great way to spice things up from day to day.

3.) Events are a mainstay of the current RP communities.  Although there are situations where you can just run into a tavern and have simplistic RP, most of the 'good' stuff comes from pre-arranged events by guild leaders or figureheads who are greatly involved in the community.  That said, a good community will give plenty to do.  My calendar in WoW is brimming full with events that people personally invite me to, and while I can't make them all, I can go to most.

4.) I believe that they are, but there are several arguments to this.  In roleplaying, you are personifying a character most of the time, not yourself - so while you do make friends, it's usually under the perception of the character the person plays.  An activity like raiding will do much more to bond a group of players together.  That said, roleplaying is pretty much about being social, so you're bound to make new friends and aquaintances.  The roleplayers that have fun are the ones who have a lot of friends and are involved in the community.

5.) You can learn how to type better (and faster).  Roleplaying is essentially creating a story, so if you were really interested in roleplaying, I suppose that a career in theater or acting would appeal to you as well.  I wouldn't call it a very educational experience, really, but you might pick up a few things from people who are also very smart.

• Trucido614Trucido614 Member Posts: 1

nexus tk is probably the only real RP game in existance

players run "subpaths" which you RP to get into and stay in

players run clans and armies

players run community events ect

sadly its not f2p