Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's going to be bad.....

Comments

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by L0C0Man

Have a really bad launch, and even if months later the game becomes the best and most polished ever, it will be a ghost town by then and still forever be known as a buggy and lousy game because of launch

/shrug.  

Like i said, TOR and LoTRO and Rift all had amazing launches.  LoTRO went nothing but downhill from there, revived only by its amazing F2P system.  This despite the fact that it's probably the best AAA themepark MMO ever made.  TOR has had a nearly flawless launch and it doesn't help the game suck any less, it somehow managed to be a total ghost-town even with a reported 2 million people playing.  Rift had an amazing launch and is actually quite a good game, but 90% of the people I know didn't last past a month.  

What i'm saying is, a good launch doesn't really mean anything either.  A good game with a good launch obviously has the best chance to succeed.  But in the long term, it's a really fickle market and things can go either way.  

I was playing MMOs long before EQ2 and WoW set a new standard for polished launchs, so I'm fully used to working through a few bugs and lag and something not working.   A good MMO will entertain me for 3-10 years, so in the grand scheme of things, I don't care how the first 2-4 weeks of it go as much as I care about their being enough potential in it to keep me around for a long time.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Originally posted by rznkain

Having played Ao for 5 years from release up to those 5 years and then Aoc Ias well as having some friends who work.worked for Failcom I can tell you straight up Failcom's buisness model is to cash grab as fast as they can right out of the gate then worry about patching it whenever they really do not care about keeping alot of subs long term that much is obvious from both AO and AoC.Failcom has already had some great ideas and innovations there is no denying that.The issue is they rarely can pull them off or by the time they do they have killed there fan base for the game.

I won't be buying TSW nor even trying it I don't care if it is great because of how much they lie and cheat there customers I cannot put my money into there pockets ever again.They had ppl beta test there monstors kid mmo under the promise of TSW beta access and lied about it and didn't give them out pretty much told us tough luck and that was that.I will no longer support a bunch of crooks like Failcom is.

i played AO for 3 years and AoC for 6 months and also betatested the BC.  I don't know any people that work for FC.  Yet, I've never been swindled, screwed or taken advantage of by them. 

I guess they are very selective about who they scam.  Maybe it's the people you know there that decided to play a cruel joke on you.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

I liked the game concept but the combat just wasnt good for me i htink its to much static...

• LordRelicLordRelic Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by rznkain

Having played Ao for 5 years from release up to those 5 years and then Aoc Ias well as having some friends who work.worked for Failcom I can tell you straight up Failcom's buisness model is to cash grab as fast as they can right out of the gate then worry about patching it whenever they really do not care about keeping alot of subs long term that much is obvious from both AO and AoC.Failcom has already had some great ideas and innovations there is no denying that.The issue is they rarely can pull them off or by the time they do they have killed there fan base for the game.

I won't be buying TSW nor even trying it I don't care if it is great because of how much they lie and cheat there customers I cannot put my money into there pockets ever again.They had ppl beta test there monstors kid mmo under the promise of TSW beta access and lied about it and didn't give them out pretty much told us tough luck and that was that.I will no longer support a bunch of crooks like Failcom is.

Lol your funny. Company says Test this and you will get a chance at testing or other game and if everyone does not get it OMFG YOU LIE LIER YOU DIDNT GIVE ME IT WTFO OMG!!!!!!!!!!11111 Lol grow up you think Blizzard isnt after your money or ea or sony or any other fucking COMPANY who makes a product be it Tampons or airplanes.   ITS all about $ and if you think other wise well i feel sorry for you cause life must be hard.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

I liked the game concept but the combat just wasnt good for me i htink its to much static...

I think people are going to play/try this game for the wrong reasons.

The game is about the lore and the puzzles and metagame.

But players are going to see "no classes" and go into it like all other mmo's.

my thought is that if one is a player to delve into lore, a player who will look things up on the internet that they are confronted with, a player who enjoys puzzles then this is your game.

If players are going into it for the combat and the loot (and possibly pvp) then this game will not be for them.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheYear1500TheYear1500 Member UncommonPosts: 531

Originally posted by arieste

Have a really bad launch, and even if months later the game becomes the best and most polished ever, it will be a ghost town by then and still forever be known as a buggy and lousy game because of launch

/shrug.  

Like i said, TOR and LoTRO and Rift all had amazing launches.  LoTRO went nothing but downhill from there, revived only by its amazing F2P system.  This despite the fact that it's probably the best AAA themepark MMO ever made.  TOR has had a nearly flawless launch and it doesn't help the game suck any less, it somehow managed to be a total ghost-town even with a reported 2 million people playing.  Rift had an amazing launch and is actually quite a good game, but 90% of the people I know didn't last past a month.  

What i'm saying is, a good launch doesn't really mean anything either.  A good game with a good launch obviously has the best chance to succeed.  But in the long term, it's a really fickle market and things can go either way.  

I was playing MMOs long before EQ2 and WoW set a new standard for polished launchs, so I'm fully used to working through a few bugs and lag and something not working.   A good MMO will entertain me for 3-10 years, so in the grand scheme of things, I don't care how the first 2-4 weeks of it go as much as I care about their being enough potential in it to keep me around for a long time.

Sorry just because the people that you know left Rift does not mean the game is failing.  Its doing very well, and has a stable population.  

Originally posted by TheYear1500.

Sorry just because the people that you know left Rift does not mean the game is failing.  Its doing very well, and has a stable population.  

No it does not mean that it is failing.  Nor did i say that it was failing.  What i said is that a lot of people left after the initial month, which they did.  I don't judge games by how many people are playing them.  My post actually clearly says that in my opinion rift is a pretty good game.

- Raph Koster

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Kuppa

I have no clue if this game is going to be good or bad simply because there is not enough information out there for me to take an opinion and I have not played it. Soon through, we will know image

Ill know this coming weekend with the first BWE.

Originally posted by TheYear1500.

No it does not mean that it is failing.  Nor did i say that it was failing.  What i said is that a lot of people left after the initial month, which they did.  I don't judge games by how many people are playing them.  My post actually clearly says that in my opinion rift is a pretty good game.

You put Rift in with a bunch of games that did poorly or was reseaved poorly.  If you didn't mean that than perhaps you should not say it.   You explicitly said the game was bad as all your friends left.   You did say it failed or you would not have said "90% of your freinds" left the game. 

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Charlizzard

I can't deal with another bad launch from anyone. And why does this appear to be turning into the norm? SWTOR launched with pretty standard MMO features missing and a lot of promises on what was to come, 4 months later was the so-called "Jesus patch." D3 is releasing with PvP to be added later. Tera released with no structured PvP or raids with promises that all of that will come. I'm sure there are other examples.

LOL.  Seriously though, TOR - while the game sucks - had one of the best launches in MMO history.  If you're not happy with TOR's launch, I can pretty much guarantee you won't be happy with TSW's or any other MMO's launch.

I think only Rift and LoTRO ever had better launches than TOR and even those are arguable.  

But reading your post, i think it's TOR as a game that you're disappointed with, not its actual launch. 

Smooth launches are pretty standard nowadays.  The MMO industry has developed drastically and if you have a crapola launch with all kinds of bugs and whatnots like in launches 10.. 15 yrs ago... that says a lot about the competance of the company.  People need to stop comparing modern launches to those 10.. 15 yrs ago.  You don't compare the latest HP comp to the Apple II green screen.

Originally posted by Sylvarii

Originally posted by Kuppa

I have no clue if this game is going to be good or bad simply because there is not enough information out there for me to take an opinion and I have not played it. Soon through, we will know image

Ill know this coming weekend with the first BWE.

Yep i am going to bern the midnight oil playing TSW this weekend.  Well unless it sucks than i am just going to play some PS3 game i have backlogged.  

• NethriilNethriil Member Posts: 178

4 Rznkain

YOu have friends that work for funcom and now you are slagging of their company and saying its sucks, etc etc.

Your whole post reeks of BS and the only thing you achieve is looking like a complete "#¤¤%#¤

• ShmackpappyShmackpappy Member Posts: 75

Why do people make huge assumtions and wring their hands before a game launches?  It will be what it is.  We shall see when it launches.  And it is why I NEVER pre-order. 

Originally posted by Shmackpappy

Why do people make huge assumtions and wring their hands before a game launches?  It will be what it is.  We shall see when it launches.  And it is why I NEVER pre-order. 

I am the same way.  I did pre-order GW2 but the last game before that was GTA3.  When they stoped giving out extras for pre-orders i stopped doing it.  And no MOO's don't count as you have to keep paying for them to get those extras.  

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

well with my track record of playing really poor releases i'm kind of getting used to it..but i think this time we might be pleasantly suprised..well one can hope..i was there at Vanguard release,trust me AOC  had nothing on that game.i remember on one occasion in Vanguard that when i logged in with my char ,all that was their was 2 eyeballs.every quest was just about bugged,the list was endless.and i'm sure some of the other peeps that post on this forum have their own horror stories.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

Having a little caution is never a bad thing with FUncom.

Historically, they have horrible launches.  To say they've learned from their mistakes, has been said before.  And, they were wrong.  Will they have learned for this time?  Maybe, but I'm not willing to put money on it.

AO is on life support and still charging subs.  The team on it is small and stretched too thin.   They've been pulling the same carrots on a tattered string for the better part of a decade(engine/rebalance).  An innovative and deep/complex game left to rot by FUncom well before even those promises.  Bad support, balance, and QA.

AoC..  I didn't touch it because of how things went in AO and I'm still happy with that choice.  If AO is any indicator, AoC will suffer from TSW in the resources department(people/money).  FUncom likes to only play with it's shiny new toys.

FUncom IS the reason I stopped jumping at MMORPGs.  Everything after them that I've tried has just been reinforcement.

If you like it that's fine with me.  I'm not going to say to not buy their products.  I have friends who still play AO and AoC.  But, they aren't for me after past experiences.  It's too easy to wait and see.  Being able to say "first" is too important these days.   I think too many people are paying to play just to be first.  Then what?  Boredom.   Stop caring about others and only play what YOU find fun.

Buying bad MMOs is like giving your dog a treat for pooping on the floor.  You are sending the wrong message. 

Originally posted by TheYear1500

You explicitly said the game was bad 

Uhm..  that is what you said.. about my post, which said:

Rift had an amazing launch and is actually quite a good game

god.. i hate the quoting system on this site.  anyhow...yeah.. i also compared it with LoTRO which - if you actually bother to read my post - i called "the best themepark MMO ever made".  If you think i was trashing it.. i really don't know how else i can phrase things for you to understand.  Anyhow, if you're still not clear - I like Rift, i think Rift is a good game, i do not think Rift is dead, dying or in need of an ambulance.  Hope that's clear now.

- Raph Koster

/shrug.  

You are implying the game failed or is bad in some way.  Try reading all of your post.  

/shrug.  

You are implying the game failed or is bad in some way.  Try reading all of your post.  

/facepalm.

i am implying, that despite a good launch and despite being a good game, people still quit Rift in droves.  this was a response to the OP saying that the quality of he launch is the most important thing.  i'm not implying anything about the game.

- Raph Koster

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I dont feel like there is enough information out there (at lest not easy to get to) for how close it is to launch. If I get a chance to try or even beta the game, I will jump on it because I am curious. There is just not enough information yet to say if it is going to be good or bad. 

Btw, this is the first post I made about this game, and I will not make anouther till I know more.. otherwise I am just talking out of my ass.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522

I really, REALLY want to pre-order this game, but like people are saying, I don't want to pay for a game that launches broken.

Also, I disagree with their "If you want to beta test, give us your money" stance as well.  Funcom, you haven't EARNED that type of trust from your community yet.  Your games end up ok, but so far you're batting a big fat 0 for launches.  First impressions can make or break your game.

I WANT THIS GAME TO WORK! It had three sided pvp.  It's skill based.  It's something different from what's out there.  It looks great. Short of flying ships/planes and Mechs, it has EVERYTHING I want in a game!!!

I really, REALLY hope this game does well because I think it can change the industry if it does what it claims to do.  But no, I think I'm going to wait for either: a) launch and see how the game does or; b)see if I get a beta invite before launch so I can see how the game is holding up.  I don't mind queues, that just means the game  is popular.  I want to see if they're releasing an ultimately unplayable game or not.

If there is any justice in the world, this game will launch smoothly.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by MindTrigger

I have been waiting for some time to play this game.  Just the idea of it is cool.  That being said its Funcom and well....  So even though i am very much looking forward to this game and hope its greate.  I fully expect for it to be bad.  I have to say its kind of a nice feeling.  Even if the game is just OK it will be more than i expected, and will still be fun to play.  

I think you have no clue how it's going to be, but if you want to assume the worse, then go for it.  I'm going to wait and see how it is and then discuss it. 
    I personally have to believe that game companies must have learned by now that a crappy launch can turn their game from potential blockbuster hit, to a niche game.  They are either doing it on purpose now to just make a profit from box sales, or they are too stupid to have jobs.  Funcom learned from the AoC launch as had been said hundreds of times now, and the team developing this game isn't even the same team.  AoC wasn't Ragnar's project, and he's found himself in the unfortunate position of having to appologize for it for a very long time now.  If Ragnar turns around and delivers the same problem to us, he will be damaging his career and losing the respect of a lot of followers.  I'm personally gambling my money on Ragnar, not Funcom.
    Also as gamers, we need to realize that a completely smooth launch is more of a fluke than it is reality as has been proven time and time again.  It would be nice if all the bugs could be worked out before launch, but anyone who works in software knows that many bugs show up while software is getting hammered by real world use.  If there are hidden bugs, the gamers will find them.  If shit is broken, they should let us know they are fixing it, and deliver regular updates and patches.  I'll be ok with that assumings things are getting better and they show that they care.
    To me, the biggest problem wasn't the bugs in AoC, or even the lack of content.  It was the arrogant way in which Funcom completely ignored the users who were expressing serious game-breaking problems.  We all sat their for weeks waiting for Funcom to give us some information, but they failed to communicate or to even remotely seem like they cared about their paying customers.
    This drove people away in the beginning more than anything did.  All they had to do was say "We're sorry about this, and we are fixing it now, and here is what we are working on first and here's how we're going to repay you for the trouble".  Had they done this, I might have stuck around, but instead I felt brushed off.  I left before the first month and never paid them another dime for that game.  SWTOR suffered the same fate but for different reasons.  

No offence, but you tell someone they have no clue when they expressed their opinion based on historical facts and tack records that speak for themselves. Anyone who says they doubt Funcom can properly launch a game due to mismanagement, in fact does have a clue. The clue is that it's happened 2x before, It's an indicator.....a clue.

Then you express an opposing opinion that is based on your own personal assumptions and desires.

Also, smooth launches aren't a fluke. Trion did it. You can also say what you want about SWTOR as an MMORPG, but it's launch went pretty well. I haven't been following the game, but I'm not hearing a forum full of launch issues surrounding Tera either.

Next you say that your issue with AoC was the lack of communication from Funcom. But that's Funcom, not AoC. And I can tell you, that is one of the biggest reasons I quit AO last year. Among lack of new content and polish, Communication was all but absent and when it was there, it was the "It's coming, we are working on it" message over and over.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

/shrug.  

Then you should take your own comment back about AO and AOC being a failed game. AO has been going for years, and AOC is still around. I would think if both games are fail then they wouldn't be up and running after all these years.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

• UmirshandUmirshand Member UncommonPosts: 47

I got a CBI in e-mail today, I did'nt pre-order. May have increased chance of invite if you do pre-order i guess. Log in tomorrow :). Check your mails peeps

"Look at me when I'm hitting you!"

• protorocprotoroc Member Posts: 1,042

Originally posted by stragen001

I agree that the launch will almost certainly be bad, because its funcom. They dont do launches well. It seems like someone higher up keeps rushing them to release games that arent ready. Boooo to the board of directors.

In the past, Funcom's biggest investors are Norwegian subsides from their government. When the subsides dry up the government demands a return on it's investment.