Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The ultimate MMO?

dimasokdimasok Member UncommonPosts: 183

From watching the videos and reading about it... this seems to be the ultimate mmo combining the best elements of themepark/sandbox genres.

I mean I enjoy playing TERA and GW2 just like the next guy... but to me this is truly the next big thing...

What do you guys think?

Comments

• SoulOfRazielSoulOfRaziel Member UncommonPosts: 405

I think it will be a good game but i dont think it will be BIG hit as u say

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

If I had to make a prediction - I'd say for the WESTERN (EU+US) audience, about half a million DEDICATED, loyal, addicted players who won't look at any other game for years.

So, not really WoW numbers but a very healthy numbers and a long life.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I don't think there will ever be another "one MMO to rule them all."

It will do well if it is a good game, but the localization is going to be key to success in the West and no matter how good it is, there really just aren't any more than 300-500k MMO gamers that will go for a more "old school" sand-boxy approach even with all the themepark flavor.

Definitely a success, if it is delivered well to the west, but don't count your chickens.

Not a "mass market" game by any means, but doesn't have to be in order to be a success.

Certainly not "the ultimate MMO" to me, at least not based on what I've seen thus far, but I am certainly watching it's development and hope to give it a whirl in a beta/open beta scenario.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Originally posted by dimasok

From watching the videos and reading about it... this seems to be the ultimate mmo combining the best elements of themepark/sandbox genres.

I mean I enjoy playing TERA and GW2 just like the next guy... but to me this is truly the next big thing...

What do you guys think?

I think that people using words like "ultimate mmo" or "next big thing" are a bit, well, let's say easily excited. And when people use these words after watching a few videos and reading stuff on some websites, then I can't say what I think because it would get me a mod edit. :)

Calm down. It might be good, it might not, we don't know. :)

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by Larsa

Originally posted by dimasok

What do you guys think?

I think that people using words like "ultimate mmo" or "next big thing" are a bit, well, let's say easily excited. And when people use these words after watching a few videos and reading stuff on some websites, then I can't say what I think because it would get me a mod edit. :)

Calm down. It might be good, it might not, we don't know. :)

Whoa whoa whoa! Don't let the GW2 drones see that...

Anyway, in my opinion, if this game can deliver on what theya re promising, then, in my eyes, it WOULD be the ultimate MMO.

And I sure as s**t am hoping it does...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I think everyone should keep quiet about ArcheAge and let it release without a bunch of idiots hyping it to high heaven like some other games, but I acknowledge defeat already.
  • ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

It looks very good but won't be the ultimate, that idea is too subjective and there will never be the "ultimate" MMO because of that.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Originally posted by RefMinor

I think everyone should keep quiet about ArcheAge and let it release without a bunch of idiots hyping it to high heaven like some other games, but I acknowledge defeat already.

Yeah I think moderation is key. Nothing wrong with getting excited or a little hyped. Problem is... most of the times this isn't the case, and folks go overboard. Then white knighting starts and bashing ensues for any little negative thing talked about the game. Oh well.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

I'm cautiously optimistic about it, but I wouldn't call it the ultimate MMO. I don't think there ever will be an ultimate.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I like the videos there fun to watch but untill they anounce a release world wide its not worth getting hyped about right now its asia only so untill they anounce other countrys this game sits on my back burner. When it does get anounced you will see the hype meter on this game sky rocket but I wouldn't be surprised if and when it does its not F2P.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

I don't see it reaching more than one million subscribers, at maximum, in the West. Realistically, if it's as good as I hope it can be - I think it will land between 500K and 1000K subs - leaning towards the lower end. If it doesn't deliver all it promises, then I wouldn't be surprised to see sub-300K numbers.

For me, personally, there hasn't been an MMO with more potential than this since Ultima Online.

It's very close to a realistic version of my ideal vision of the modern MMO. But I'm a sandbox'er at heart - even if the term is simplified. I love many aspects of modern themepark games - but ultimately, they fall flat with the meaningless endgame and vertical gear progression.

But I definitely agree with a previous poster that we should stop hyping unreleased games, because hype inevitably accumulates to unrealistic proportions. Also, there's no way the average casual MMO'er will truly appreciate ArcheAge - and I could really do without the thousands of bash-posts from people expecting yet another themepark paradigm.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

no every new game is not the ultimate greatest creation since the begining of time god dam u ppl every time