Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could ArcheAge be 'The Perfect Storm' of an MMORPG?

2»

Comments

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by gladosrev2

No. For a game to even have a chance to be extraordinary in any way, it first needs an extraordinary developper. As much as I can't stand Blizzard right now or WoW, the fact is Bliz was extraordinary back in the day. Today it's ArenaNet that so far appears extraordinary in many ways, though they are yet to deliver an extraordinary game. But at least this gives Gw2 a big chance to be a perfect storm.

On the other hand ArcheAge devs seem unremarkable, I can't remember seeing even one vid where they talk about their game.. maybe because I wasn't looking hard enough. The game certainly will be an important milestone and tech-testing field for future MMO's, however in itself it looks rather bland in the gameplay videos I saw. And even though it uses the CryEngine, the graphics are a far cry from the potential this engine can deliver. And this means the devs are not good enough to use the tools they've got, which does not speak well about the game itself.

Main issue I have so far are standard quests, no interesting story, and most importantly the feel the combat is painfully standard and grindy. I don't think the new groundbreaking features will be enough to keep people interested if the basics are not done well.

Id rather have youtube videos of players in the beta playing the game thanks to the lack of NDA than some dev selling hype in a video.

But maybe that's just me.

Standard quests aren't an problem, GW2 also has them.

And AA will also have Dynamic Events, don't worry you will still be able to dynamically kill 10 rats in AA.

No interesting story.... ehhh GW2 doesn't look to have an insteresting story either, it's a sandbox anyway.

Combat looks to be very similar to GW2, standard tab targetting.

But at least in AA you can use more than 5 skills :)

I would be more worried about GW2 getting really boring after 3 weeks when the shallowness of instanced PVP with no meaning and lack of any interesting sandbox stuff to do sets in.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I love how every asian game in existence has had this hardcore set of "believers" who think that the next new asian developed game coming out is going to "be the one" to convert western gamers over to the asian aesthetics, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

Why can't this hardcore set of fans just get over themselves & realise they are a small sub-set of a niche group already?

Maybe then they wouldn't set themselves up for so much disappointment.

Okay you love the game, that's nice for you, now wake up & smell the coffee & realise not too many others will & just go enjoy your niche & be happy instead of trying to proselytize the rest of the community thanks.

TLDR:

No it will not be, thanks.

• StalkerousStalkerous Member UncommonPosts: 92

If you don't like the game don't bother posting or trolling people. There is enough of you trolls and haters in every MMO forum all over. All you do is cry, troll and rage nothing else. If you have nothing smart or import to say, just don't say it.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    No idea if this game will hit it big over her, but my god does it look good. I know this because all of the features promised are on YouTube gameplay vids for everyone to see. It's like everything dark and light was suppose to be in more. I used to fantasize about my perfect MMO, but more and more I find myself just thinking about archeage.
  • alancodealancode Member UncommonPosts: 163

Wish it was out over here now, I would drop everything. 

(-_-)

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Skuz

I love how every asian game in existence has had this hardcore set of "believers" who think that the next new asian developed game coming out is going to "be the one" to convert western gamers over to the asian aesthetics, despite all of the evidence to the contrary.

This game doesn't have "over the top" aesthetics.

No slutty armors, no high heels, no huge swords, etc etc.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

@skuz I'm not one of those "asian game believers" as you so eloquently put it. In fact I often strayed away from foreign made games because they rarely met my tastes. But I cannot deny what I'm seeing with my own eyes. This game is inspiring. I have to seriously question if you know anything at all about AA other than its being developed in Korea.
  • RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

I for one have never quit a game because of the combat system.  While i did play Tera and admittedly, the combat in that game is insanely fun, it is not the only thing i look for in a game.  Archeage looks to have a lot of depth to it and creativity behind it.

Many people are unhappy with our current choices in non-linear style MMORPGs and for that reason, among others, Archeage looks to be an important title.  Heres to hoping things go well for them between now and that future release date!

Originally posted by Stalkerous

If you don't like the game don't bother posting or trolling people. There is enough of you trolls and haters in every MMO forum all over. All you do is cry, troll and rage nothing else. If you have nothing smart or import to say, just don't say it.

I'm not sure if your post was directed at me, but I have not said I hate the game at all.

I've not raged as such, I put my point across at a general subset of players that I see getting far too carried away with their little fantasies, I think the OP is being too optimistic & idealistic at far too early a stage in this title's embryonic life, as evidenced by the incredibly overconfident title, followed by the ebullience within his post.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing if this game really does depart from the usual fare from the region, because with such a large volume of titles from asia & such a massive proprtion being your basic shovelware it would actually be refreshing to see a standout asian title do well, I'm just advising a more realistic level of expectation because historically speaking so much crap has come from asia in MMO's.

Originally posted by drakaena

@skuz I'm not one of those "asian game believers" as you so eloquently put it. In fact I often strayed away from foreign made games because they rarely met my tastes. But I cannot deny what I'm seeing with my own eyes. This game is inspiring. I have to seriously question if you know anything at all about AA other than its being developed in Korea.

And what exactly causes you to think that I know nothing about the game?

I've followed it, albeit not avidly, and know it has a broad range of features it "wants to implement" such as player-made buildings, ship to ship, ship to sea monster combat, among a few other things.

Believe nothing of what you read, a quarter of what you hear & only half of what you see.....until this game is in an open beta I won't openly criticise it as I have no hands on experience, but getting all giggly, doe-eyed & sugar-rush excited about the game when at this point it has no release schedule outside of it's native market is both premature & silly.

Originally posted by spaceport

Originally posted by Skuz

This game doesn't have "over the top" aesthetics.

No slutty armors, no high heels, no huge swords, etc etc.

Points in it's favour if it does ever intend to release in the west, but no concrete plans of that at all yet.

@skuz the game was in its latest beta for months with no NDA. Everything you just mentioned was ingame and on prominent display. Hard to easily dismiss it as hype and wishful thinking.
    The developers also said they are making the game with a western audience in mind. It's coming here. Only a matter of when.
    If you are interested then just head over to the official western forums. People who've been in the betas and actually played the game will be more then happy to verify the content.
  • DecadentiaDecadentia Member Posts: 464

Those yogcast videos are amazing. I was always interested in this game from the little i've heard, but those videos are out of this world. I've quite honestly never seen anything like this game.

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

We have enough data to have a good picture of what the game will be,not a perfect picture since AA is rated to be released by the midle of 2013 or after

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/349506/Archeage-Features-best-videos.html

And yes,i think it is the sandbox we all was waiting for,or rly close to that

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Originally posted by drakaena

@skuz the game was in its latest beta for months with no NDA. Everything you just mentioned was ingame and on prominent display. Hard to easily dismiss it as hype and wishful thinking.

If you read what he wrote, he claims to be following it but  not closely so any BS you call on him will be because he wasn't following it closely.   Very non-commited way of talking. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Well I thought the rumored elder scrolls MMO might have been the perfect storm mmo, until yesterdays GI leaks, oh how i was wrong, so wrong.

AA is my only glimmer of hope now for the next 5-7 years.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Heinz130Heinz130 Member Posts: 227

Yea,ES just poped up then i go for some information and found out its another themepark

i pass lol

I just wonder why producers still insist with themepark,ppl still buy it i guess

Still AA is the best title to wait for

WoW 4ys,EVE 4ys,EU 4ys
    FH1942 best tanker for 4years
    Playing WWII OL for some years untill now
    many other for some months