Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by deziwright

gw2=iceskating combat

tera=frozen combat

pick your poison. i choose tera :D

What the hell is this "iceskating" combat you're talking about? I've seen one animation glitch where people were moving with the standing animation, but once they did an attack that cleared up. Maybe you confused a warrior greatsword attack with a triple axle? I dunno...

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by sanshi44

Originally posted by itssantos

Not sure how many played gw2 but you do not need to spam the 1 key.

I played a mesmer 90% of my time on GW2 beta but I started to play a warrior near the end. Melee is incredibly difficult if you just pick top damage moves and everything to try to get the biggest number possible. I took a 1hd + shield, bull rush and 2 other utilties and was able to block projectiles to get close enough to leap i and kept them knocked down or crippled so i was able to kill them off.

I can't comment on Tera is looks fun from the videos I see but I just wanted to give some perspective on the gw2 side when I saw a few comments.  If it feels chunky or what not that is fine and your opinion but wanted to give some insight on melee.

People complain about melee combat about some skill locking you in place for a small period of time are the skill that are most devestating to the enemy, and they need to have some way to dodge or there done for.

So why not have, I don't know... dodges, interrupts, knockbacks, etc? You can wind up while moving, as GW2 shows... you can also stop attacks that are winding up while moving while you're also moving.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GeobardiGeobardi Member Posts: 68

I'm going to vote GW2, but both are good.

I really liked the combat in TERA, and the thing i liked the most was using a game controller to play it, once you disabled the "front attacks" option it felt really good, but, and this is the great BUT, the combat in TERA is not as challenging and complex as in GW2, TERA's combat is simple, really simple, and i can see why some people would prefer it that way, it's not a bad thing, the only problem i had was that every move i did froze me in the spot, with all the classes is the same freeze while attacking problem, i can understand is a way of dealing with hitboxes collision calculations for the server or some kind of problem like that and that was the easier way to deal with it, so, is not a big problem.

In GW2 the combat feels more fluid, complex, you must know when to do your skills, if you make a wrong move you will die in seconds, the game is not forgiving, and i like it that way. I played as a melee ranger, and it was the most fun experience i had in an MMO in years. I'm not going to say, this is better, or this one is much more better, i'm going to say that i enjoyed GW2 a lot more than TERA, it's a subjective feeling.

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111

We did thte same style of poll for our mutli-genre gaming group (we have been gaming for 13 years together) but the poll was simpler option 1  or option 2. We were trying to decide were we would focus for the next while. 213 votes 209 were for tera and 4 for GW2 combat. We like to focus on PvP and we keep the irrational fanboy/girl stuff out. Just combat nothing else and highlighted was 4 videos two of tera and two of GW2 PvP as performed by 2 of our top facemelters.

Originally posted by Infeareal

We did thte same style of poll for our mutli-genre gaming group (we have been gaming for 13 years together) but the poll was simpler option 1  or option 2. We were trying to decide were we would focus for the next while. 213 votes 209 were for tera and 4 for GW2 combat. We like to focus on PvP and we keep the irrational fanboy/girl stuff out. Just combat nothing else and highlighted was 4 videos two of tera and two of GW2 PvP as performed by 2 of our top facemelters.

No you didn't... the poll said "Which game starts with a 'T'", Guild Wars 2 or Tera.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

No you didn't... the poll said "Which game starts with a 'T'", Guild Wars 2 or Tera.

No what really lost it for GW2 in that poll was actually pointing out elementalist PvP combat with the tab targetting. Fireballs that were trying to curve around obstacles cause of lock on. We have in MMO's been able to "Tab 1,1,1,1,2,3,1,1,1" for most of the last 10 years. Sure you can say some skill comes into play there, but we as a community do not perfer easy mode. Side stepping attacks, rolling out of the way, or actively raising your shield for blocks, and having to aim your attacks using your own judegement of predictive movement is what got the votes.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

For PvE I would understand - people have different preferences. But for PvP? GW2's combat + combat system is designed with PvP in mind to a very large degree. So far I have not seen anything close to advanced in the way abilities are designed in Tera that makes PvP interesting.

Edit: And just stop the tab targetting stuff. It is wrong. Ranged attacks are not homing in GW2. At least base the discussion on facts.

Originally posted by Sikhander

For PvE I would understand - people have different preferences. But for PvP? GW2's combat + combat system is designed with PvP in mind to a very large degree. So far I have not seen anything close to advanced in the way abilities are designed in Tera that makes PvP interesting.

Edit: And just stop the tab targetting stuff. It is wrong. Ranged attacks are not homing in GW2. At least base the discussion on facts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YxOeRyboxA  3:01 in that video and the next 10 seconds clearly shows it. The elementalist and the arrows comming from behind him are both locked and homing. Hrmmmmm facts is facts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YxOeRyboxA  3:01 in that video and the next 10 seconds clearly shows it. The elementalist and the arrows comming from behind him are both locked and homing. Hrmmmmm facts is facts

Did you look at the video you selected? The video shows that it is NOT tab-targetting. Let me go through this once again:

(1) For a melee attack you attack what is in front of you. What you have targetted means nothing apart from selecting the mob that you will receive health, debuff and buff information from.

(2) For a ranged attack you attack in a straight line from you. You can use a target as your AIM indicator (exactly the same function as the target reticle in Tera) and then you shoot in a straight line towards that target. In addition you receive health, debuff and buff information from the target you have selected.

In the video the caster have chosen a target that is used as AIM. All attacks are OBSTRUCTED by the wall since the AIM is towards the wall.

The attacks are not homing which means that if your AIM target moves the ranged attack might not hit it (all ranged attacks have flight time). Furthermore if something/someone is between you and your target the attack will hit that instead (PvE mob, other enemy etc).

The two combat systems are IDENTICAL apart from that in Tera you are movement locked.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

The elementalist is hitting the side of a mountain. Look again

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

Originally posted by Amjoco

This is a serious question and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion. My copy of Tera should be here Tuesday now and I'm looking forward to it and it's PvP. My question is GW2 has objectives in WvWvW like protecting/aquiring supplies, destroying/holding keeps, etc. In Tera what do you do other than smack one another? I watched a couple good Guild vs Guild videos but didn't really understand much more about it. 

Since this is a combat type question I am pulling out my bump card. I may be being overlooked.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

This is a serious question and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion. My copy of Tera should be here Tuesday now and I'm looking forward to it and it's PvP. My question is GW2 has objectives in WvWvW like protecting/aquiring supplies, destroying/holding keeps, etc. In Tera what do you do other than smack one another? I watched a couple good Guild vs Guild videos but didn't really understand much more about it. 

Since this is a combat type question I am pulling out my bump card. I may be being overlooked.

there isn't really a whole lot.. political system and PVP via battlegrounds is the main draw. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/23011/Political-System-Trailer

overall though for a lot of people they seem to enjoy the combat enough they don't need incentives to PVP... for me it looses its fun after couple weeks but then again many play games like COD for years on end and there really isn't much incentive for PVP in most FPS games aside from the thrill of fighting against other people. Honestly it really depends on how much you enjoy the combat system.. to me I found GW2 way better combat and gameplay in pretty much every aspect and all the objective based stuff is just a plus but others for whatever reason may like TERA combat more

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

there isn't really a whole lot.. political system and PVP via battlegrounds is the main draw. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/loadNews/23011/Political-System-Trailer

overall though for a lot of people they seem to enjoy the combat enough they don't need incentives to PVP... for me it looses its fun after couple weeks but then again many play games like COD for years on end and there really isn't much incentive for PVP in most FPS games aside from the thrill of fighting against other people. Honestly it really depends on how much you enjoy the combat system.. to me I found GW2 way better combat and gameplay in pretty much every aspect and all the objective based stuff is just a plus but others for whatever reason may like TERA combat more

Thank you! I do know GW2 will be my main game when it comes out but I will play Tera until then. Not real sure about that political system though. It seems like a lot went into it and too much effort was placed on setting up a single person to be in charge. So if someone is good at pvp in the battleground he can work his way to power and control an area!?...but what if he sucks at leadership or is only 14 years old? lol

The elementalist is hitting the side of a mountain. Look again

Duh. I hope a mountain gets in the way. Just cause it does not fly through the mountain does not mean it is not locked.

Did you look at the video you selected? The video shows that it is NOT tab-targetting. Let me go through this once again:

(1) For a melee attack you attack what is in front of you. What you have targetted means nothing apart from selecting the mob that you will receive health, debuff and buff information from.

(2) For a ranged attack you attack in a straight line from you. You can use a target as your AIM indicator (exactly the same function as the target reticle in Tera) and then you shoot in a straight line towards that target. In addition you receive health, debuff and buff information from the target you have selected.

In the video the caster have chosen a target that is used as AIM. All attacks are OBSTRUCTED by the wall since the AIM is towards the wall.

The attacks are not homing which means that if your AIM target moves the ranged attack might not hit it (all ranged attacks have flight time). Furthermore if something/someone is between you and your target the attack will hit that instead (PvE mob, other enemy etc).

The two combat systems are IDENTICAL apart from that in Tera you are movement locked.

You act like you are not talking to someone who has not played both. His target is selected and that is where the attacks go, in the direction of the target and not the direction the character is facing. Just because a wall gets in the way of the cast landing doesnt make it any different. Tab, click, first attack and lock-on, how ever you want to look at it you end up with a selected target and attacks that travel toward it.

Not arguing #1. #2 though come on the video points it right out. Its all over the main forums in the Melee VS Ranged threads. Either way I have played both Melee and Ranged in each game, I know what combat is like no need for me to argue a point. The original message was regarding the poll and I posted numbers from another poll that had a similiar theme. 

You can continue your fanboy/fangirl biased discussions, I've got some jetski's I need to get out on the lake. =)

You act like you are not talking to someone who has not played both. His target is selected and that is where the attacks go, in the direction of the target and not the direction the character is facing. Just because a wall gets in the way of the cast landing doesnt make it any different. Tab, click, first attack and lock-on, how ever you want to look at it you end up with a selected target and attacks that travel toward it.

Not arguing #1. #2 though come on the video points it right out. Its all over the main forums in the Melee VS Ranged threads. Either way I have played both Melee and Ranged in each game, I know what combat is like no need for me to argue a point. The original message was regarding the poll and I posted numbers from another poll that had a similiar theme. 

You can continue your fanboy/fangirl biased discussions, I've got some jetski's I need to get out on the lake. =)

Don't hit any mountains on the way to Lake Pleasent! Oh wait, you have to "pause" before you can do that. lol

Now you are acting like the thing you are accusing me of - being very much a fanboy/girl.

I like the Tera combat. I like the GW2 combat. They are the same apart from the movement lock in Tera. I hold the movement lock against Tera in a major way though - especially in PvP. But both combats are a major improvement from previous MMOs (now I am not discussing anything apart from combat style - not the buff/debuff/cc system etc - there Tera is plain bad due to lack of depth).

You are trying to make an argument that because you are always facing in the direction of your targetting reticle in Tera (facing is instantanous in Tera) it is different than using a target as your reticle without the facing requirement (for ranged). That does not make any sense. Both are action oriented. Both have missiles with flight time. Both games allow movement away from missiles. None of the games have homing missiles. They are the same.

No what really lost it for GW2 in that poll was actually pointing out elementalist PvP combat with the tab targetting. Fireballs that were trying to curve around obstacles cause of lock on. We have in MMO's been able to "Tab 1,1,1,1,2,3,1,1,1" for most of the last 10 years. Sure you can say some skill comes into play there, but we as a community do not perfer easy mode. Side stepping attacks, rolling out of the way, or actively raising your shield for blocks, and having to aim your attacks using your own judegement of predictive movement is what got the votes.

Oh you liar! They don't track in GW2.  If you were remotely sincere and put any effort at all into learning about the game you're trying to make up lies about you would have known this already.

Oderint, dum metuant.

OH ffs. That isn't tracking, it's straight line. In GW2 your attacks are intelligent enough to lead your target, going to where the target will be if he maintains speed and heading. If you change direction, they miss.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

OH ffs. That isn't tracking, it's straight line. In GW2 your attacks are intelligent enough to lead your target, going to where the target will be if he maintains speed and heading. If you change direction, they miss.

lololol

I wouldn't get too :smug: about the numbers on the poll. TERA fans might be, oh I don't know, playing the game? GW2 fans have nothing better to do than troll other games and white-knight their own.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Owned heh. I saw the pockett video and she was facing the target she was firing at like 5% of the time. That's when I knew I wouldn't like the GW2 combat, but oh well I'll get to play a friends account next BWE to see for myself. After TERA, I simply can't do tab-targets again. Think it's hilarious how people are still trying to tell you that you're wrong.

There's one thing I want to test for myself which I haven't been able to confirm through videos. It seems like melee auto-turns in the direction of their target when they activate some skills (like the shield charge/bash thing from a warrior in a video someone post a few pages back). ( 4:01 there) Notice how his charge changes direction to meet his target - LAME.

Also one last thing - Is there really no mana or resource management? I loved the way GW1 handled mana and mana regen.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Ppl telling its about what you prefere are so wrong if you look at it from a technical point. I dunno  how anyone in a clear mind could say a tab based targeting combat is superior to true action combat like in TERA.  I guess its the 2nd lifespan of a hype machine like SWTOR that will go down hopefully soon.

35,4 % intresting how many ppl have no idea what real skillfull comnat looks like.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Otomox

Ppl telling its about what you prefere are so wrong if you look at it from a technical point. I dunno  how anyone in a clear mind could say a tab based targeting combat is superior to true action combat like in TERA.  I guess its the 2nd lifespan of a hype machine like SWTOR that will go down hopefully soon.

35,4 % intresting how many ppl have no idea what real skillfull comnat looks like.

Is it so hard to imagine that many people like something different than what you like?

Having played both, I believe that GW2 requires more skill than Tera, but to each their own.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

What's with the Tera vs GW2 rivalry all of a sudden?

I don't remember this a week ago.

Originally posted by Otomox

Ok, I have to say this even though I'm going to play Tera. GW2 is not, and I repeat not a complete tab target game. It is optional to target.  Cut from Ten Ton Hammer. 

"Guild Wars 2 eliminates the tab-target-auto-attack scenario and challenges you to think on your feet (or think off your feet if you’re downed but not dead). For starters, tactical positioning matters in Guild Wars 2--you’ll have to dodge, block, flank and use other maneuvers to be the most effective in combat. Not only that, but you’ll be able to play off other characters engaged in the same fight".