Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is it on this site?

bloodsagebloodsage Member Posts: 8
I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how this claims to be a MMORPG.  If it is then so is Diablo, Diablo 2, hell even Battlefield 2 could be considered with the different classes and ranks.  IMO this isn't a MMORPG, its just a online game.  What exactly qualifies as a MMORPG these days?

Comments

• Sparks243Sparks243 Member Posts: 271

It is on the site because it is a popular game and there are game boards based on popular demand. Guild Wars has a Massive amount of players, it is a Multi-player game, it is Online, and it is an RPG, hence a MMORPG.

• BentBent Member CommonPosts: 581

Sparks is right... It's a popular game and yields the site more traffic.

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Originally posted by bloodsage
    I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how this claims to be a MMORPG. If it is then so is Diablo, Diablo 2, hell even Battlefield 2 could be considered with the different classes and ranks. IMO this isn't a MMORPG, its just a online game. What exactly qualifies as a MMORPG these days?

Why does it matter anyways?

In my opinion, is their site, so they can do whatever the hell they want to do with it :)

EDIT: spelling

• NihilanthNihilanth Member Posts: 1,357

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how this claims to be a MMORPG. If it is then so is Diablo, Diablo 2, hell even Battlefield 2 could be considered with the different classes and ranks. IMO this isn't a MMORPG, its just a online game. What exactly qualifies as a MMORPG these days?

thats just it, although it may not be to you to a lot of people it is an MMO, so its on the site

Schutzbar - Human Warrior - Windrunner Alliance - World of Warcraft
    Nihilanth - Kerra Paladin - Blackburrow - EverQuest II
    XBL Gamertag - Eagle15GT

• Nikko_91Nikko_91 Member Posts: 40
    i would probably agree that it shouldnt be on this site but i play the game and its good to have on here
  • jeb2jeb2 Member Posts: 22
    i concur
  • bloodsagebloodsage Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Sparks243

It is on the site because it is a popular game and there are game boards based on popular demand. Guild Wars has a Massive amount of players, it is a Multi-player game, it is Online, and it is an RPG, hence a MMORPG.

Yes, but the games I mentioned diablo, diablo 2, battlefield 2, and now dungeonseige 2 also fit all that.  They all have a massive amount of players, they are all multiplayer, they are all online, and they are just as much a RPG.

I think it's the massive amount of instanting that does it in for me.  all the non-instanced areas are just a graphical representation of an online grouping area for anyof the above games.  You are not actually playing the game with a massive amount of people, you are meeting a few people to play with in your own instananced area.  Again this is just my opinion but when I think MMORPG I don't think of a game that is completely instanced, hell battlefield 2 is more multiplayer the guildwars because you can have up to 64 people playing in the same "instance" at one time.

• ValdVald Member Posts: 138

I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out how this claims to be a MMORPG.  If it is then so is Diablo, Diablo 2, hell even Battlefield 2 could be considered with the different classes and ranks.  IMO this isn't a MMORPG, its just a online game.  What exactly qualifies as a MMORPG these days?

Its amazing how the search tool is beyond the ability of alot of people....what is this? the one thousandth time this has been asked? stfu already.

• AseenusAseenus Member UncommonPosts: 1,844

well said mate

• kleangkleang Member UncommonPosts: 25

Yes, but the games I mentioned diablo, diablo 2, battlefield 2, and now dungeonseige 2 also fit all that.  They all have a massive amount of players, they are all multiplayer, they are all online, and they are just as much a RPG.

I think it's the massive amount of instanting that does it in for me.  all the non-instanced areas are just a graphical representation of an online grouping area for anyof the above games.  You are not actually playing the game with a massive amount of people, you are meeting a few people to play with in your own instananced area.  Again this is just my opinion but when I think MMORPG I don't think of a game that is completely instanced, hell battlefield 2 is more multiplayer the guildwars because you can have up to 64 people playing in the same "instance" at one time.

Because:

1. It's online game, you can't play it offline.

2. You can trade,chat,dance, etc.,  with massive of people in town and outpost.  Can those offline do?

3. You can also play up to 32 player in HoH.  While you rarely found more than 20 people at the same time in most MMORPG explorable area.

4. It's RPG based.

5. ......

• bloodsagebloodsage Member Posts: 8

Originally posted by Vald

Its amazing how the search tool is beyond the ability of alot of people....what is this? the one thousandth time this has been asked? stfu already.

It's also quite amazing abotu the ego of some people.  To think that in some way they NEED to reply  to a posting on a message board.  Weather it's to pad their own post count, to somehow make them feel like they are above someone else.  Here's an idea, if you don't have anything constructive to say whay don't YOU STFU.  My god are you some kind of idiot child, you know the type, the child who always feels the need to butt into adult conversations with some stupid comment so they feel involved and grown up.
  • HarasharHarashar Member Posts: 68

Originally posted by Vald

It's also quite amazing abotu the ego of some people.  To think that in some way they NEED to reply  to a posting on a message board.  Weather it's to pad their own post count, to somehow make them feel like they are above someone else.  Here's an idea, if you don't have anything constructive to say whay don't YOU STFU.  My god are you some kind of idiot child, you know the type, the child who always feels the need to butt into adult conversations with some stupid comment so they feel involved and grown up.

The thing is the guy your talking about is completly right.
  • AlfonsoMVAlfonsoMV Member Posts: 30

Taken from the official Guild Wars site:

Is Guild Wars an MMORPG (Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing
    Game)?

Guild Wars has some similarities to existing MMORPGs, but it also has
    some key differences. Like existing MMOs, Guild Wars is played entirely
    online in a secure hosted environment. Thousands of players inhabit the
    same virtual world. Players can meet new friends in gathering places
    like towns and outposts where they form parties and go questing with
    them. Unlike many MMOs, when players form a party and embark upon a
    quest in Guild Wars, they get their own private copy of the area where
    the quest takes place. This design eliminates some of the frustrating
    gameplay elements commonly associated with MMOs, such as spawn camping,
    loot stealing, and standing in a queue in order to complete a quest.

Guild Wars takes place in a large virtual world made up of many
    different zones, and players can walk from one end of the world to the
    other. In Guild Wars much of the tedium of traveling through the world
    has been eliminated. Players can instantly return to any safe area
    (town or outpost) that they have previously visited just by clicking
    on it in the world overview map.

Rather than labeling Guild Wars an MMORPG, we prefer to call it
    a CORPG (Competitive Online Role-Playing Game).

Hope that helps.