Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Combat: TERA v. GW2. Your thoughts?

Comments

• QuenchsterQuenchster Member Posts: 450

I think GW2 will have more fun combat. When I played GW2 it didn't feel like a grind when I fought monsters because of the events. I enjoyed being able to assist anyone as any class and being able to DPS without being forced into a healing role. I enjoyed how I could join PvP combat at any level and go back to lower levels for lower level content so I could choose what I got to do. I think Tera has plenty going for it, because of the aimed combat, but I don't think that style of game combined with the MMO grind will be able to absorb players from games such as other 3rd person or even 1st person games that don't have much of a grind.

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

Originally posted by SoulOfRaziel

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by BadSpock

Originally posted by Novusod

Both TERA and GW2 combat is deeply rooted in the holy trinity which means ultimately both games still play a lot like WoW. You have to have tank + healer to do group content combined with some min/maxed DPS. This is New?? Where have we seen this before? It is like every other MMO game made in the last decade. A little dodging and aiming doesn't change much. Calling this action combat is the biggest joke ever. If you want real action combat then play Vindictus where there is no healers and no holy trinity.

Another person that post without searching or learn enough of games.... 

For God sake GW2 is not a wow clone u prob want it to be but its isnt and will not be.

I only actually played TERA and I can tell you it is 100% Trinity based group dynamic. The videos I saw of group content in GW2 certainly looked like trinity but I could be wrong. Both games are still WoW clones to me because they are still hotbar ability based games. You click a button and get a predetermined result. This is just like every other MMO made in the last decade. There really is nothing new about either of these games. Once again look to Vindictus if you want to see what real action combat is.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Both TERA and GW2 combat is deeply rooted in the holy trinity which means ultimately both games still play a lot like WoW. You have to have tank + healer to do group content combined with some min/maxed DPS. This is New?? Where have we seen this before? It is like every other MMO game made in the last decade. A little dodging and aiming doesn't change much. Calling this action combat is the biggest joke ever. If you want real action combat then play Vindictus where there is no healers and no holy trinity.

For God sake GW2 is not a wow clone u prob want it to be but its isnt and will not be.

I only actually played TERA and I can tell you it is 100% Trinity based group dynamic. The videos I saw of group content in GW2 certainly looked like trinity but I could be wrong. Both games are still WoW clones to me because they are still hotbar ability based games. You click a button and get a predetermined result. This is just like every other MMO made in the last decade. There really is nothing new about either of these games. Once again look to Vindictus if you want to see what real action combat is.

Don't the games you play have buttons? GW2 has no Tanks or Healers...no Trinity.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

Don't the games you play have buttons? GW2 has no Tanks or Healers...no Trinity.

He's got you there. All games have buttons where "You click a button and get a predetermined result" Its not as if I have to hope that Kratos will attack when I hit square.

GW2 is absolutely not trinity based. There are no tanks, no healers, and everyone is essentially DPS in the sense that they do damage.

The classes are futher seperated through individual emphasis on chosen weapons and skills and glyphs.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

I'm waiting for the game in which I can play just by thinking about it, a mind meld.

Anyway, every single video game out there has you pressing a button of some sort. Well maybe Pong doesn't.

No they don't. That is why I am laughing at these two games as total jokes. Vindictus uses mouse click combos to perform abilities which are NOT predetermined. Combos are varities of Left Right clicks + holds to get things done some of which require earlier hits to go off before finishing the combo. That is real action combat. Click a button on a hot bar and magic happens is not action combat but WoW clone territory. GW2 and TERA are not action combat games but just different flavor of WoW. Same old song and dance.

• NightkinNightkin Member UncommonPosts: 48

So.. games with hotbar are wow clones? Guys, something wrong with you. You should cure your wow addiction. GW2 is fully different from WoW but TERA can be WoW clone because of boring quests and grindfest. Yes. GW2 is group oriented as an MMO must be, otherwise play Skyrim if ya want to solo RPGs.

• NightvergeNightverge Member Posts: 211

No they don't. That is why I am laughing at these two games as total jokes. Vindictus uses mouse click combos to perform abilities which are NOT predetermined. Combos are varities of Left Right clicks + holds to get things done some of which require earlier hits to go off before finishing the combo. That is real action combat. Click a button on a hot bar and magic happens is not action combat but WoW clone territory. GW2 and TERA are not action combat games but just different flavor of WoW. Same old song and dance.

Look man, I'm going to be blunt and black and white here. Do you see as big of a following for vindictus? Maybe its beyond my perception, its possible; However, you are speaking as if nobody has ever played it.

You are posing as an internet cliche who says all 'mainstream' games pale in comparison to your unpopular, archaic, and relatively unknown game.

Vindictus has buttons. When I press them they do a certain action. I don't just left click and hope something I want happens. They are just minor variations of swings and attacks. Instead of using two buttons though (left and right mouse buttons) I use over 10. Vindictus has some interesting Ideas but honestly, its just monster hunter style combat. You press combo's of left and right mouse buttons, sure. They hardly vary though and I have way more options in GW2 OR Tera for unique actions. There are only a small handful of combos you can perform in vindictus.

There are 10! combo's with just my ten different moves (I'm also not shouting the number 10 at you 10! is shorthand for 10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1). And actually most classes have more than 10 buttons when counting attunement changes, weapon switches, and class abilities.

• LordArthasLordArthas Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Capox

1. The performance of this game is straight-out CRAP. I run a 2600k @ 5.1 ghz and two 7970's on water oc'd to 1300/1600, a beast i would say. This game (Beta) runs @ 35 fps average utilizing 30% max of my machine. Before anyone starts bragging it is Beta, I know that but if they launch this game in a couple of months IT WILL NOT significantly improve, mark my words. I have enough experience with this shizzle. Also lmao when ppl say they do this on purpose hehehe..... what? You choose to slap ppl's faces on purpose so they go off to other games? mmm yeah I can see the logic of that.... NOT.

First off, yes it WILL significantly improve. There is no optimizing done in the game yet. That is stuff done at the end of development.

Second, SLI/Xfire is completely unsupported and if it is like certain other games, actualy results in a negative performance.

Third, devs have said that overclocking can actually worsen your performance due to the unoptimized nature of the beta.

Lastly, who da fu said they do it on purpose?

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

gw2=iceskating combat

tera=frozen combat

pick your poison. i choose tera :D

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• KanubisKanubis Member Posts: 112

Effectively we're just voting on whether we prefer action aiming or tab targetting in our MMOs. The two systems are so wildly different that it becomes a pointless excercise trying to compare them in terms of quality. 

I know people who love TERA because tab targettintg wasn't for them. Apparently it's been done well and just because it isn't for me I won't say a bad word about it. Personally I'm have to keep my action aiming for the many FPS games I own, and feel happier with tab targetting in my MMOs. That said, I've been using that system for many years now and found the other innovations in GW2 combat more than enough for it to be a decent, fresh experience for me. 

I think a lot of us excited about GW2 are in just as much in it for the innovations in how the game world reacts to players as we are for the combat. 

If combat had been my sole gripe in existing MMOs and I wanted it to be an action experience then yeah, I'd probably be all over TERA like a rash. 

Originally posted by Kanubis

Effectively we're just voting on whether we prefer action aiming or tab targetting in our MMOs. The two systems are so wildly different that it becomes a pointless excercise trying to compare them in terms of quality. 

I know people who love TERA because tab targettintg wasn't for them. Apparently it's been done well and just because it isn't for me I won't say a bad word about it. Personally I'm have to keep my action aiming for the many FPS games I own, and feel happier with tab targetting in my MMOs. That said, I've been using that system for many years now and found the other innovations in GW2 combat more than enough for it to be a decent, fresh experience for me. 

I think a lot of us excited about GW2 are in just as much in it for the innovations in how the game world reacts to players as we are for the combat. 

If combat had been my sole gripe in existing MMOs and I wanted it to be an action experience then yeah, I'd probably be all over TERA like a rash. 

And tab targeting in GW2 is optional, you can use it if you like but using tactical positioning is just as effective.  

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

Like majority of posters in this thread for combat i will play Tera over GW2 any day.

Originally posted by Chrome1980

Like majority of posters in this thread for combat i will play Tera over GW2 any day.

Well I like both but according to the poll Tera isn't the majority. ;)

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Originally posted by Kanubis

Seriously - this is a large lie in the Tera community that flies around. GW2 does not have a tab-target system. The two systems are identical apart from the fact that in Tera you are movement locked during ability use and the Tera engine is right now much more optimized and smooth.

Originally posted by Nightshade55     Look man, I'm going to be blunt and black and white here. Do you see as big of a following for vindictus? Maybe its beyond my perception, its possible; However, you are speaking as if nobody has ever played it.

You are posing as an internet cliche who says all 'mainstream' games pale in comparison to your unpopular, archaic, and relatively unknown game.

Vindictus has buttons. When I press them they do a certain action. I don't just left click and hope something I want happens. They are just minor variations of swings and attacks. Instead of using two buttons though (left and right mouse buttons) I use over 10. Vindictus has some interesting Ideas but honestly, its just monster hunter style combat. You press combo's of left and right mouse buttons, sure. They hardly vary though and I have way more options in GW2 OR Tera for unique actions. There are only a small handful of combos you can perform in vindictus.

There are 10! combo's with just my ten different moves (I'm also not shouting the number 10 at you 10! is shorthand for 10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1). And actually most classes have more than 10 buttons when counting attunement changes, weapon switches, and class abilities.

It is not an internet cliche if it happens to be true. It is clearly beyond your perception and beyond your comperhension just how innovative Vindictus combat is over stale hotbar mechics of GW2 and TERA. You cannot conceive that a game could make a mouse click have multiple functions and work to sustain fluid combat. The right right click can have so many different actions. If one leads off with a right click it will have a different out come if it was preceeded by a Left click and it will have a different action tied to it if one holds it down vs just quick tapping it. Right click while sprinting is different than right while not sprinting. There is some real finesse here to vindictus combat that no other MMO possesses.

The permutation 10! is casting order this is NOT in any way to be confused with combos. Casting order always turns into a theory craft where there is a best order for a particular class. Yawn debuff first, temp up, cast dots, quick hits, then big hits, throw in some CC inbetween, ZZZ wait on cool downs so you can do it again. Been playing like this for ten years across a variety of MMOs and these type of things always lead to players watching and rotating the cooldowns on their hotbars more than watching the combat to maximize gameplay. Did I mention Vindictus has NO cooldowns. In Vindictus if one wants to do their most powerful combo back to back to back consecutively in rapid succession there is nothing stoping the player from doing so other than the stamina and oprotunity cost but there is no artifical timed cooldown that says you can't do that.

You see after I disect the mechanics a little bit you can see how dated and stale and artificial hotbar button based combat is. Vindictus is the real innovator here and the fountainhead of true action MMO combat. Neither Guild wars 2 nor TERA can hold a candle to Vindictus when it comes to action combat.

Originally posted by Nightshade55     Look man, I'm going to be blunt and black and white here. Do you see as big of a following for vindictus? Maybe its beyond my perception, its possible; However, you are speaking as if nobody has ever played it.

It is not an internet cliche if it happens to be true. It is clearly beyond your perception and beyond your comperhension just how innovative Vindictus combat is over stale hotbar mechics of GW2 and TERA. You cannot conceive that a game could make a mouse click have multiple functions and work to sustain fluid combat. The right right click can have so many different actions. If one leads off with a right click it will have a different out come if it was preceeded by a Left click and it will have a different action tied to it if one holds it down vs just quick tapping it. Right click while sprinting is different than right while not sprinting. There is some real finesse here to vindictus combat that no other MMO possesses.

The permutation 10! is casting order this is NOT in any way to be confused with combos. Casting order always turns into a theory craft where there is a best order for a particular class. Yawn debuff first, temp up, cast dots, quick hits, then big hits, throw in some CC inbetween, ZZZ wait on cool downs so you can do it again. Been playing like this for ten years across a variety of MMOs and these type of things always lead to players watching and rotating the cooldowns on their hotbars more than watching the combat to maximize gameplay. Did I mention Vindictus has NO cooldowns. In Vindictus if one wants to do their most powerful combo back to back to back consecutively in rapid succession there is nothing stoping the player from doing so other than the stamina and oprotunity cost but there is no artifical timed cooldown that says you can't do that.

You see after I disect the mechanics a little bit you can see how dated and stale and artificial hotbar button based combat is. Vindictus is the real innovator here and the fountainhead of true action MMO combat. Neither Guild wars 2 nor TERA can hold a candle to Vindictus when it comes to action combat.

This discussion is about Tera vs GW2. What are you going on about please? Start a new topic Vindictus vs Dragons Nest.

• Chrome1980Chrome1980 Member Posts: 511

I said posters ;) not people voting in poll since not all voters post on the subject.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Sinaku

This forum is full of GW2 fanboys its easy to guess that the poll would have GW2 winning with it being clunky and sluggish as hell

Tera felt clunky to me, actually.  *shrug*

Same lol

Originally posted by RKameL

Originally posted by bruuss

Originally posted by RKameL

For me the fact that at Tera you gotta stay still to do skills puts me out of the game. Im a bit tired of that.

I played GW2 beta and was surprised how the combat system works, always moving, dodging, jumping and doing skills at same time, it turns it very fluid and was what i most liked. Its harder at beginning but it has a lot more action going arround, and makes it much better IMO.

Interesting point about some skills "stopping" your movement.  I have been hearing a lot of complaints in GW2 about ranged being overpowered vs. melee, and wonder if that's the single biggest reason.  If you can kite everything, why have melee for the most part?  That could also by why TERA chose to restrict the movement on many abilities (Some you can move and execute).

Yea at official forums there is already a thread from the staff about melee/ranged combat.

I didnt play any melee at the beta, played Engineer and Elementalist. For example engineer with 2 pistols, i like the fact of being able to shoot while running, place mines or turrets if im trying to escape to delay enemies and stuf like that..

I was playing a ranger and i had no issues meleeing with my great sword (has a cripple, charge). also had a short bow incase they ran seeing it stacks bleeds when you hit the back/side, also got a cripple, poisen to reduce healing and stun if shot in back.

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Originally posted by sanshi44

Originally posted by Eir_S

Originally posted by Sinaku

This forum is full of GW2 fanboys its easy to guess that the poll would have GW2 winning with it being clunky and sluggish as hell

Tera felt clunky to me, actually.  *shrug*

Same lol

I will play Tera more over the week end (level 16 at the moment) but I agree with this. The movement lock restricts you alot compared to GW2. However, the engine is very smooth and gives high FPS which to me is a large positive.

Right now I would say that the combat feel is fairly even but if GW2 ups the FPS with the GPU utilizing engine (next BWE or the one after that) GW2 ends up winning when it comes to the combat feel with a decent margin.

Both games represent a large step forward for MMOs though when it comes to combat feel.

We have not touched buffs/debuffs/cc yet however and there GW2 wins with ease - so the tactical layer in GW2 is much more complex and unforgiving (both PvE and PvP).

Edit: I played warrior in the GW BWE and used melee 90% of the time to get a feel for it and I loved it. Most people complaining about melee missed a few things: 1) It is not tab target - you hit what is in front of you, 2) move, move, move, 3) dodge, dodge, dodge, 4) Debuffs>>>>>direct damage.

Originally posted by itssantos

Not sure how many played gw2 but you do not need to spam the 1 key.

I played a mesmer 90% of my time on GW2 beta but I started to play a warrior near the end. Melee is incredibly difficult if you just pick top damage moves and everything to try to get the biggest number possible. I took a 1hd + shield, bull rush and 2 other utilties and was able to block projectiles to get close enough to leap i and kept them knocked down or crippled so i was able to kill them off.

I can't comment on Tera is looks fun from the videos I see but I just wanted to give some perspective on the gw2 side when I saw a few comments.  If it feels chunky or what not that is fine and your opinion but wanted to give some insight on melee.

People complain about melee combat about some skill locking you in place for a small period of time are the skill that are most devestating to the enemy, and they need to have some way to dodge or there done for.

This is a serious question and I'm not trying to start a heated discussion. My copy of Tera should be here Tuesday now and I'm looking forward to it and it's PvP. My question is GW2 has objectives in WvWvW like protecting/aquiring supplies, destroying/holding keeps, etc. In Tera what do you do other than smack one another? I watched a couple good Guild vs Guild videos but didn't really understand much more about it. 

I said posters ;) not people voting in poll since not all voters post on the subject.

Symantics. The poll is going to represent fairly closely the posters beliefs. Without going back through the entire fubar of comments I'm going to say that GW2 has the majority. Just guessing, you could prove me wrong please, I would like to know! :O A bar, pie, or line chart if you could please go to the trouble! lol

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

So you're a mouse-clicker then? Could explain why you can't figure out MMO combat.

BTW, Tera and GW2, the results are not pre-determined. You can miss. You can hit. I know in GW2, you can be interrupted, feared or otherwise prevented from getting your attack off. (Don't know if Tera has those type of mechanics.)

Oderint, dum metuant.