Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not a Sandbox game? No FPS style combat? No FFA PvP setting?

Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

Full Sail University - Game Design

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Bainwalker

Title says it all.  For them not to make TES: Online into what it rightfully should be is a joke beyond the ages.

Anyone agree?

No housing, no player vampires, no player werewolves, no freedom to join the faction you want as the race you want, there's many TES mechanics that seem to be missing.

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Anyone agree?

No housing, no player vampires, no player werewolves, no freedom to join the faction you want as the race you want, there's many TES mechanics that seem to be missing.

I am aware however I believe the term "Sandbox" covers most of everything.  This is truly a very sad day and I hope whoever thought to destroy what makes TES such a great series gets fired.  

Don't cater to the masses!  Be bold!  Do something different!

Originally posted by Unreal024

I agree somewhat, but I disagree with you on a few things.

1. TES series are not sandbox games, so why should an ES MMO be?

2. The three faction PvP system sounds much better than FFA.

I could care less that it's going to play a lot like your standard themepark, what angers me is that it's doing away with FPV, twitch combat, housing, free form character progression and probably a whole lot more. It could still be a fun game, whether or not I decide to give it a go will depend on a few things, once being payment model.

It is a sandbox. You can go out and do as you wish. You can slaughter a town, take over someones house. The main quest is only a portion of whats there to do.

Sandbox is a virtual world with an assortment of things for you to choose to do when you want to do them. Creating your own content is only one aspect of a sandbox and not an aspect all sandboxes share.

It's nice to see people trying to suddenly declare the TES series a themepark lol.

I could care less that it's going to play a lot like your standard themepark, what angers me is that it's doing away with FPV, twitch combat, housing, free form character progression and probably a whole lot more. It could still be a fun game, whether or not I decide to give it a go will depend on a few things, one being payment model.

You're wrong.  

TES was created to be a virtual WORLD.  Living breathing worlds do not have structured factions that limit you.  Worlds you are given the tools to do whatever you like.  Players would have created the factions.  Players would have created their own laws in regards to PKs.  

I wanted a living breathing world out of TES : Online.  A game where you choose your race then do whatever you wanted to do.  I can't tell you how wrong you are about TES.  Go back and research why TES was created in the first place.  Please.  

Having NPC factions to join is fine.  Forcing people to choose a race that is then stuck to a faction is wrong.  Everything is wrong... everything.

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

What your talking about is an open world. Being able to roam freely and do what you want is not a sandbox. It doesn't matter what games people want to label as a sandbox, the very word sandbox implies creation. Therefore, every sandbox game should rely heavily on player created content, something which TES has never done.

Nexusmods says otherwise.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I could care less that it's going to play a lot like your standard themepark, what angers me is that it's doing away with FPV, twitch combat, housing, free form character progression and probably a whole lot more. It could still be a fun game, whether or not I decide to give it a go will depend on a few things, once being payment model.

It is a sandbox. You can go out and do as you wish. You can slaughter a town, take over someones house. The main quest is only a portion of whats there to do.

Sandbox is a virtual world with an assortment of things for you to choose to do when you want to do them. Creating your own content is only one aspect of a sandbox and not an aspect all sandboxes share.

It's nice to see people trying to suddenly declare the TES series a themepark lol.

What your talking about is an open world. Being able to roam freely and do what you want is not a sandbox. It doesn't matter what games people want to label as a sandbox, the very world sandbox implies creation. Therefore, every sandbox game should rely heavily on player created content, something which TES has never done.

+1 As we just established in another thread. A sandbox requires some way to use your imagination to create. Just like in a literal sandbox.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Tanon

What your talking about is an open world. Being able to roam freely and do what you want is not a sandbox. It doesn't matter what games people want to label as a sandbox, the very word sandbox implies creation. Therefore, every sandbox game should rely heavily on player created content, something which TES has never done.

Guess that makes WoW a sandbox then. 

Originally posted by Xzen

What your talking about is an open world. Being able to roam freely and do what you want is not a sandbox. It doesn't matter what games people want to label as a sandbox, the very world sandbox implies creation. Therefore, every sandbox game should rely heavily on player created content, something which TES has never done.

+1 As we just established in another thread. A sandbox requires some way to use your imagination to create. Just like in a literal sandbox.

TES games do have MOD tools, you know that right?

Going complete sandbox with TES : Online was the logical move.  We are not asking for the ability to change everything like it's Minecraft.  Hardly that at all.  [mod edit]

Originally posted by Xzen

TES games do have MOD tools, you know that right?

Going complete sandbox with TES : Online was the logical move.  We are not asking for the ability to change everything like it's Minecraft.  Hardly that at all.  Themepark players are so ignorant I swear.

Not the same as being sandbox. The creation has to take place as a game mechanic not through mods or editors. I think TES would lend it self well to being a sandbox both singleplayer and the new MMORPG. But that's not the direction they went with it. =(

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

Originally posted by RebelScum99

If having an open world; being able to roam freely and do what you want isn't a sandbox, that is alright, that is still exactly what I want in an MMO. I don't care about how it is labeled.

It amazes me what people try to label a themepark. No, after all these years the TES series has not magically been reclassified as a themepark lol. Sorry man, you may feel differently but it is called and accepted as a sandbox due to the open world. You may not like it or agree with it but apparently your opinion isn't the widely accepted one.

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.[1] Video games that include such level design often are referred to as "free roam" games.

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming";[2][3] however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and allude more to the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

Despite their name, many open world games still enforce restrictions at some points in the game environment, either due to absolute game design limitations or temporary in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

Hell here I'll even give you the above, a wikipedia refference on the matter.

Grand Theft Auto is widely considered a sandbox

UO

TES series

I mean you aren't required to agree but you do need to acknowledge your view on what a sandbox is not the widely accepted one. In accepting that you can see why your comments above are being regarded as incorrect.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Non-linear all of a sudden means sandbox? Open ended game-play and sandbox are not the same thing at all. I've always looked at TES in this way, never have I considered it a Sandbox, as there is no sand and no tools to add to the world, outside of modded things added by players such as the RTS mod series for FO3, NV and now in limited fashion Skyrim.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

It amazes me what people try to label a themepark. No, after all these years the TES series has not magically been reclassified as a themepark lol. Sorry man, you may feel differently but it is called and accepted as a sandbox due to the open world. You may not like it or agree with it but apparently your opinion isn't the widely accepted one.

An open world is a type of video game level design where a player can roam freely through a virtual world and is given considerable freedom in choosing how or when to approach objectives.[1] Video games that include such level design often are referred to as "free roam" games.

The term is sometimes used interchangeably with "sandbox" and "free-roaming";[2][3] however, the terms open world and free-roaming describe the game environment itself and allude more to the absence of artificial barriers,[4] in contrast to the invisible walls and loading screens that are common in linear level designs. The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

Despite their name, many open world games still enforce restrictions at some points in the game environment, either due to absolute game design limitations or temporary in-game limitations (such as locked areas) imposed by a game's linearity.

Hell here I'll even give you a wikipedia refference on the matter.

UO

TES series

I mean you aren't required to agree but you do need to acknowledge your view on what a sandbox is not the widely accepted one. In accepting that you can see why your comments above are being regarded as incorrect.

I've been playing TES games for a while. My favorite is still Morrowind and it is a themepark and so is GTA. If you think either are a sandbox then you simply do not know why the term sandbox was ever used in the first place.

Originally posted by Distopia

Non-linear all of a sudden means sandbox? Open ended game-play and sandbox are not the same thing at all. I've always looked at TES in this way, never have I considered it a Sandbox, as there is no sand and no tools to add to the world, outside of modded things added by players such as the RTS mod series for FO3, NV and now in limited fashion Skyrim.

Read above my friend. You can disagree with me all you want, I'm simply going by what has become the widely accepted definition of sandbox. Disagree all you want, but that doesn't change what is.

• JeulJeul Member Posts: 5

I may be missing something, but none of the information I've read yet states any of this.  Where are you getting this info?

Originally posted by Distopia

Read above my friend. You can disagree with me all you want, I'm simply going by what has become the widely accepted definition of sandbox. Disagree all you want, but that doesn't change what is.

Because sandbox was turned into a buzzword in the early 00's. A lot of games from that time were using the term to sell themselves as such. Much like the MMORPG application to everything remotely multiplayer today.

I don't disagree with you I disagree with a marketing gimmick overly used back then.

[mod edit]
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

The problem is, the hard core Sandboxers have gone to extremes when defining what a  Sandbox is, so that if a game truely had all thing elements that they define as "Sandbox," it would either be totally unplayable; or it would be "Second Life" and not really a game at all.

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619

By your definition you just posted GW2 is a full sandbox game. There are no quest hubs to guide you from one objective to another or any quests outside of your main story that drive you in any particular direction. And im pretty sure noone here believes that GW2 should be classified as "sandbox".

So you have to make the decision. Stick to your definition from wikipedia and call both TES and GW2 sandbox games. Or admit that maybe wikipedia isnt always 100% accurate or have the last word on what a final definition is.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

Originally posted by RebelScum99

If having an open world; being able to roam freely and do what you want isn't a sandbox, that is alright, that is still exactly what I want in an MMO. I don't care about how it is labeled.

Oh, I totally agree.  I'm just commenting about the fact that somewhere along the line, the definition of a "sandbox" game got pretty muddled.  

Hell here I'll even give you the above, a wikipedia refference on the matter.

UO

TES series

Oh, I completely agree. Everyone has differing opionions, my opinion is just based on the actual meaning of the word sandbox. You do agree that in a sandbox (the actual one we all played in as children) it's all about using your imagination to create things? And that, if your going to label something a sandbox it should, by definition, be about creating things, or at least have it as a feature?

Even the paragraph that you posted, which I highlighted in red, points out the diference between sandbox and open world or free roam.

The term sandbox refers more to the mechanics of a game and how, as in a physical sandbox, the user is entertained by his ability to play creatively and with there being "no right way"[5] of playing the game.

You really should read what you highlight before saying it proves your point.

But yeah... by your definition it's not a sandbox unless we have a box with sand that we can make sand castles out of? Why does this younger generation forget that many of these definitions were meant to describe aspects and not to always be taken as a literally translation.

Being from the generation that first used the term in regards to gaming I kind of know what I meant when using the term.

• JeulJeul Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by Jeul

I may be missing something, but none of the information I've read yet states any of this.  Where are you getting this info?

[mod edit]

I've never posted here.  I was referred here by one of my guildies. 

Anyways... can you answer my question?  I'm not being rude or anything... just asking.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416

I could care less that it's going to play a lot like your standard themepark, what angers me is that it's doing away with FPV, twitch combat, housing, free form character progression and probably a whole lot more. It could still be a fun game, whether or not I decide to give it a go will depend on a few things, one being payment model.

You honestly expect devs to make a non-theme park game now a days? good luck there. You can thank world of warcraft for that.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by aslan132

By your definition you just posted GW2 is a full sandbox game. There are no quest hubs to guide you from one objective to another or any quests outside of your main story that drive you in any particular direction. And im pretty sure noone here believes that GW2 should be classified as "sandbox".

So you have to make the decision. Stick to your definition from wikipedia and call both TES and GW2 sandbox games. Or admit that maybe wikipedia isnt always 100% accurate or have the last word on what a final definition is.

Level keeps you from doing what you want. There are artificial limitations in place to keep there from being "no wrong way to play".

Games like UO lacked these artificial limitations, while you may not be as effective as others you were still able to contribute even if your character was freshly made.

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

The problem is, the hard core Sandboxers have gone to extremes when defining what a  Sandbox is, so that if a game truely had all thing elements that they define as "Sandbox," it would either be totally unplayable; or it would be "Second Life" and not really a game at all.

Not at all, there's no extreme here, the only thing is, TES has never really offered (in package) what consititutes the key to the word sandbox, world related creation and tools for it. There are other descriptors made that apply much more to what TES is, non-linear, freee roaming, open-ended, and yes even IMO themepark in some regard (themepark doesn't exactly mean linear, it's in reference to themed rides which TES has in spades).

You can have all that TES is and not be a sandbox, you can have all that TES is and be a sandbox, with a few additions. This is my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.