Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Elder Scrolls Online: What the Elder Scrolls Online Means for MMORPGs

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by bishbosh

its going to be a wow clone...

http://xbigygames.com/the-elder-scrolls-online-screenshots-and-details/

After reading that any excitement I had for this game is now gone... Good luck with this one Zenimax... you're gonna need it.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Awesome news indeed.  I just hope this doesn't affect the development of their single player games at all, neither in frequency of release nor quality.  

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350

Originally posted by Stellin23

I would rather see a true Dark Age of Camelot sequel, but I seriously hope Matt nails the PvP/PvE balance. Seriously....just copy the DAOC PVE leveling (safe zones) and add in PvP as an outlying zone. Then you don't have to choose a PvP or PvE server. You just pick a server. Come on Matt!!! The MMO world wants a true DAOC successor, so please, please, please model PvP after DAOC!!!

have you played daoc recently? kill 10 snakes now run over and kill 10 giants, rinse and repeat.

• WorstluckWorstluck Member Posts: 1,269

Originally posted by Brenelael

After reading that any excitement I had for this game is now gone... Good luck with this one Zenimax... you're gonna need it.

Bren

Yes I feel the same way.  Everything I have heard today about the game were not things I wanted to hear.  To top everything off I am assuming this will mean the end of the single player franchise depending on the success of the game, or at least it will be put on hold for years. 

Whatever, it's really early and this is the first real news about the game so surely things will change.  However using an engine that only supports DX9 will not change, nor will the fact that instead of experiencing a world that is yours, a world where you can shape how character turns out by the actions you take, we will get a class-locked game that I have to play with some dude named LeGoLASXXXLOL. 

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Brenelael

Bren

Haha wow. Well at least I only had my hopes up for 5 minutes lol

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

WHat I don't understand is why bad MMO means killed IP... I for one wouldn't stop playing actual TEs games, if this turns out to be not so good.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PalmyCloudPalmyCloud Member Posts: 79

My favorite MMO is not a specific IP like The Elder Scrolls or Star Wars nor Guild Wars. It is just a list of most EPIC features I could think of by my very own fantasy. Thus GW2 is a quite promising game and SWTOR was not, at least to me. By now I cant say if TES Online can cater to my list better than GW2 does so far, but if they implemented MEANINGFUL factions as MEANINGFUL pvp objective then it might already be on par with GW2 if not better. But so far, only if there is everything in it what I would dream of by now. (Which I doubt)

But let's not forget we know as little as nothing about it, thus my thought was just hypothetical.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Distopia
    WHat I don't understand is why bad MMO means killed IP... I for one wouldn't stop playing actual TEs games, if this turns out to be not so good.

Truth. Every decent IP has had its rough patches. This might be TES' low point. Too early to tell obviously, but so far, nothing they've shown or talked about interests me. But yeah, if it ends up a turd, you still have tons of great games from the IP and there will probably be more great ones in the future.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

The Elder Scrolls Online is scheduled to come out in 2013 for both PC and Macintosh.

l've been looking forward to this title, have been a fan of the setting since Morrowind .

I do not think this will be "like" the SPRPG's at all, it will be a different beast altogether I think, and it will need to be.

Hopefully the details to come will show what kind of direction Zenimax hope to take MMO's, I'm quietly hopeful as there is a lot of pedigree in both the studio's connection to Bethesda & the history of the franchise itself, let alone the development talent being employed.

I won't pre-judge it because there's just nothing to judge yet, it's not a sure-fire hit or a certain failure just because it's taking a famed franchise into the very risky genre of the MMO, I think it's a brave step & I hope it will pay off for both fans & creators alike.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Truth. Every decent IP has had its rough patches. This might be TES' low point. Too early to tell obviously, but so far, nothing they've shown or talked about interests me. But yeah, if it ends up a turd, you still have tons of great games from the IP and there will probably be more great ones in the future.

I think the biggest factor here is separate studios, Bethsoft no longer making TES games, would be like Square no longer making FF games, or Bioware no longer doing story focused games. It's what they've built their studio from, it's essentially their bread and butter.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DimensionalDimensional Member Posts: 79

It's getting pretty tiresome to see a slew of negative comments when we haven't actually seen any images/footage of the game at all. Maybe reserve your judgement until we actually see some gameplay or actually hear more information about the game.

It will be interesting to see if ESO will mix themepark and sandbox elements together as because pure sandbox games are niche, while themepark too casual and the market is oversatured with such games.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

I'm really sceptical.

The Elder Scrolls is very, very, very good. MMOs are very, very, very bad.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I'm having a hard time believe that "leek". 

"Hey guys, we're making Elderscrolls online finally, but we're going to use every feature from World of Warcraft.  We'll have phasing, hotbar combat, a skill tree, meaningless pvp, heroic dungeons, and even raids.  We know some ES fans wont' like it, but we have to do it because it's not possible to do FPS/ action combat, have housing, or use the same skill progression found in every other ES game in an MMO.  Besides, no one would understand how to play it if it wasn't like World of warcraft.  By the way, did we mention world of wardcraft?  World of warcraft.  World of warcraft."

^^An exceptionally accurate synapsis of that link^^

I'm having a really hard time believing what's in that link is real. 

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by Dimensional

It's getting pretty tiresome to see a slew of negative comments when we haven't actually seen any images/footage of the game at all. Maybe reserve your judgement until we actually see some gameplay or actually hear more information about the game.

It will be interesting to see if ESO will mix themepark and sandbox elements together as because pure sandbox games are niche, while themepark too casual and the market is oversatured with such games.

People already have seen leaked Images and we know will be using Hero engine from Swtor... Welcome To Swtor 2.0

http://d27vj430nutdmd.cloudfront.net...4254-00001.pdf

http://d27vj430nutdmd.cloudfront.net...59fd399383.pdf

http://d27vj430nutdmd.cloudfront.net...762e8a10fd.pdf

Originally posted by escarreta

People already have seen leaked Images and we know will be using Hero engine from Swtor... Welcome To Swtor 2.0

Your links are broken.

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

Your links are broken.

Try now

Your links are broken.

Try now

What I've seen so far from that article looked pretty damn impressive. What is your gripe with the Hero Engine? It seems perfect what they plan to do with it, build their world.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I don't personally think it will kill the IP even if it's absolutely horrid. Just the fact that Zenimax Online is developing it and not the core TES team at Bethesda gives me hope that they are treating this as a totally seperate entity and work on the single player franchise will continue. It may give the franchise a black eye but it certainly won't kill it. The TES series has taken a few punches before with the games they released under the TES IP inbetween Daggerfall and Morrowind. It hurt the IP but it rebounded very nicely when Morrowind released. Kill the IP? No... I don't think that is likely.

EDIT: LOL... I didn't read past this post before replying to it and didn't see until afterward that you think along the same lines as I do. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

Can I pre order yet ?

• SunwolfNCSunwolfNC Member UncommonPosts: 188

Not sure anyone will make it down this far to read this in this epic thread but;

How awesome would this be if they allowed a free-for-all style of game play, just like the RPG.

Wouldn't it be amazing if this turns out to be a modern version of Ultima Online?

You wanna be a murderer and have a bounty on your head? Sure.

Wanna be a farmer and till fields, tend your herd, and hire guards and build fences to protect them before going to market? Sure.

Wanna be a leader of an adventurous dragon-hunting band and wander the land workign for crown and coin? Sure.

Tack on a style of Realm vs. Realm ala Dark Age of Camelot, a crafting system something-like SWtOR/Istaria, quick-play oppurtunities ala WoW so you won't have to dedicate hours to get any single thing done...

While I fear the medieval/hi-fantasy/dungeons-n-dragons themed genre is played out, I think it'd be really fun to go through something like that with a good group of friends...

We'll have to watch this and see how it develops.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by Cembrye

If this is a sandbox, count me interested.  If this is YET ANOTHER level-grind, gear-based, heavily-instanced theme park, count me out as there are already too many of these.

Having read the scanned pages of the magazine article, I noticed that raids are in game.  This does not bode well at all.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

Originally posted by mad-hatter

This has fail written all over it, I don't see this working out in any way shape or form.  The game was built to be a single player game, putting it into an online world just isn't going to work.  Will have to see what direction they plan on taking it and see where it goes from there.

It worked quite nicely for FFXI. One day people are going to learn games are judged on whats in the game and not what the title of the game is.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

As long as they don't stray too far from the Skyrim formula, this will be an absolutely astounding game.  They need to keep the progression system non-linear, just like in Skyrim.  They definitely need to keep Skyrim's combat system, because no successful mmo has had this type of combat.  Darkfall and Mortal Online were both massive failures.  TERA's combat doesn't even come close to Skyrim; TERA is closer to traditional combat styles.  Skyrim doesn't have animation locks, and there is no ability to click-to-target.  So as long as it has Skyrim combat mechanics, it will be more original than TERA and GW2's combat.

That's the big thing for me, combat.  Fully manual combat without the ability to use spells unless you equip them to your hands, would just be sooo sweet.  Then have some solid RvR pvp.  There would have to be a lot of factions if they plan to use all of Tamriel though.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Wow I would love to get into the alfa and closed beta's on this.  I think it has great potential.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

Am I the only one who thinks that The Elder Scrolls (or at least, every game so far) is the perfect model for why open ended skill based systems should be PvE only?

I mean, the level of unbalance in TES pretty much blows every other unbalanced game out of the water, with the possible exception of Amalur, and that's just because apparently not a single person ever played Amalur before release.

I understand that PvP doesn't have to be perfectly balanced, but it's just not playable if any of the exploitable power gaming mechanics from the other games are around.

Other than that, pretty excited :)