Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Too little and way too late

13»

Comments

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by iceman00

No, you really didn't understand.  It was more once they hit max level and were done with their story quest...... there was nothing to do.  The ops weren't that engaging (up until recently some of them simply couildn't be played due to bugs), and the "hardmode" and "nightmare" gimmicks were just that, gimmicks.  It was the same raid, except now there was a timer!

With GW2, one could experience the dynamic events, and most importantly, take part in their WvWvW.  You could do the dungeons, explore other races pve content, etc.  Now will this work?  Who knows.  But it's a lot more than farming the instance for a daily quest, except now you do it on HARDMODE!!!!!!!

Raids were engaging as raids are. In the end they are same scripted ecncounters.

Adding more/harder raids/dailies, lowering the drop rates...wont do much, or make SWTOR endgame less stale.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

No, you really didn't understand.  It was more once they hit max level and were done with their story quest...... there was nothing to do.  The ops weren't that engaging (up until recently some of them simply couildn't be played due to bugs), and the "hardmode" and "nightmare" gimmicks were just that, gimmicks.  It was the same raid, except now there was a timer!

With GW2, one could experience the dynamic events, and most importantly, take part in their WvWvW.  You could do the dungeons, explore other races pve content, etc.  Now will this work?  Who knows.  But it's a lot more than farming the instance for a daily quest, except now you do it on HARDMODE!!!!!!!

End-game SWTOR, you can:

1) OPs/FPs

2) PVP Warzones

3) World PVP (in zones that allow it)

4) kill heroic bosses

5) Explore other races

6) Explore additional PVE content

End-game GW2:

1) DE

2) WvWvW

3) Dungeons

4) Explore other races

5) Explore additional PVE content

To me, it looks like you have the same amount of endgame choices per game.  A lot of people became quickly bored with TOR's content; who's to say that they wont with GW2 also?

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by grimal

End-game SWTOR, you can:

1) OPs/FPs

2) PVP Warzones

4) kill heroic bosses

5) Explore other races

End-game GW2:

1) DE

2) WvWvW

3) Dungeons

4) Explore other races

To me, it looks like you have the same amount of endgame choices per game.  A lot of people became quickly bored with TOR's content; who's to say that they wont with GW2 also?

A lot of complaints I saw was more frustration over people being able to find groups or enough players to complete the content. So whether things end up going the same for GW2 really boils down to ease of group functionality, community focus, and population levels. Which SWTOR failed miserably at.

Whether GW2 will succeed in this area remains to be seen. It wouldn't have solved everything but if BW would have focused on these areas more they would have a much better retention rate than I believe they currently are experiencing. The amount of people I ran into in that game that skipped heroics or fps simply because they couldn't find a group for them was stunning. Which is a hsame since that is a rather significant portion of the game.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

SWTOR's ship has sailed concerning it being the big AAA MMO of the moment. With each new release there will be more miles put behind the launch and realization of what BW did wrong in this massive drama (pre-release hype, to beta, to launch). Regardless of how you feel about the game, it's 15 minutes are probably up.

Unless something really amazing were to happen, the window of opportunity has pretty much closed. It's downhill from here on out, which is pretty much normal.

In a side note on decline:

Another poster pointed out something really interesting, that SWTOR is a niche setting even for having used the SW IP. Some of the problems concerning atmosphere in SWTOR are linked with this because the creative license they took, due to the era, mostly resulted in leaving a bad taste in the mouths of the fans (see Endgame Consular Armor, or ships that look like refrigerators). After considering the art design, I think they shold have just went with a "technology has reached it's plateau and remains that way until GCW times" approach. Then things could have been more like the familiar things of the SW universe. 

In  some cases they kept the look the same, and others are changed so there doesn't seem to be continuity in the art design.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• potbellyrhipotbellyrhi Member Posts: 38

End-game SWTOR, you can:

1) OPs/FPs

2) PVP Warzones

4) kill heroic bosses

5) Explore other races

End-game GW2:

1) DE

2) WvWvW

3) Dungeons

4) Explore other races

Im no fan of GW2.

But this comparison is rediculous.

1) OPs/FPs - Desite being the same as 4 and 6, are a complete joke. The idea of removing the gear treadmill via handing out absurd amounts of loot per kill is retarded and the mechanics while they seem somewhat decent are all buggy as hell and honestly offer no real challenge.

2) PVP Warzones - I'm not a pvper but, really? Just bad

3) World PVP (in zones that allow it) - Non-exsistant. PVP requires more than 1 person

4) kill heroic bosses - This should read kill bosses. Not a one is very heroic short of the cute must have push off to kill the final 5 man boss int he game.

5) Explore other races - What..... Roll new alts to experience 90% of the game again, the other 10% being a mediocre story (imo ofcourse)

6) Explore additional PVE content - DAILIES Weeeeee

I'm not trying to pick on you but SWTOR fails as an MMO so comparing its... stuff with another MMOish game is asinine.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

The biggest difference between SWTOR and GW2 (and GW1) is not the content - about which one can argue ad nauseum. It is the pricing model: you don't have to subscribe to GW2. You can play it the month in which you buy it and in 6 months time you can re-install it and play it again.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

A lot of complaints I saw was more frustration over people being able to find groups or enough players to complete the content. So whether things end up going the same for GW2 really boils down to ease of group functionality, community focus, and population levels. Which SWTOR failed miserably at.

Whether GW2 will succeed in this area remains to be seen. It wouldn't have solved everything but if BW would have focused on these areas more they would have a much better retention rate than I believe they currently are experiencing. The amount of people I ran into in that game that skipped heroics or fps simply because they couldn't find a group for them was stunning. Which is a hsame since that is a rather significant portion of the game.

This x100.

Lack of endgame content or lack of ranked warzones is not what's wrong with SWTOR.

There are so many other issues which are killing this game: no group finder, complete lack of exploration, no alternative leveling zones, no raid-grouping for warzones, loading screens everywhere, travel time etc. The list could go on forever.

For every aspect of this game, whether it is PVE, PVP, crafting or whatever, Bioware was not able to remove specific design/technical "roadblocks" to make people fully enjoy the content.

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

If your in to Ops (raids) and PVP then end-game has just as much as wow ever did and still does.

With the added benefits of: leveling which isn't a pure grind and with voiced cutscenes, class story etc.  Crafting that's actually useful and end-game content which is challenging...

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Why "too late" ?

Is there anything forcing you to play games only near their release ?

SWTOR even has outdated graphics even when it got released, so even that motivation isnt there.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

End-game SWTOR, you can:

1) OPs/FPs

2) PVP Warzones

4) kill heroic bosses

5) Explore other races

End-game GW2:

1) DE

2) WvWvW

3) Dungeons

4) Explore other races

SWTOR has no exploration, you in a clastrophobic tunnel.  Show me where you can do this exploration in SWTOR.

• HeavyTrafficHeavyTraffic Member Posts: 54

Originally posted by Adamantine

Why "too late" ?

Is there anything forcing you to play games only near their release ?

SWTOR even has outdated graphics even when it got released, so even that motivation isnt there.

I think the OP is probably referring to the widely held concensus that a new AAA MMORPG has a certain amount of time, and that time varies, to get their basic house in order concerning their game.

You should have individual realm forums, transfers (if the game population is an issue), and all the other stuff expected of an MMORPG today.

The OP was not saying that they were too late, they were saying EA/Bioware is getting close to that imaginary limit to make their game at least functional.  With the low populations on most servers that is a huge problem for players.

It's "too late" for Bioware, not the players.  Once people move on to the newer games there is little chance they will return.

• Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by zest007

Well its finally here swotr in israel, sure many of u cant care less but tbh i had high hopes for this game before all the crappy announcements:

1. origin.

2. no release in israel and many other countries on launch.

Time passed and when all the information started to flow about how disappointing the game is i even was relieved and almost forgot all about it (guild wars 2 had a lot to do with that). Then suddenly today i get notified that swtor is available in my region.

The sad truth is if i could get it on launch day i would have but now hell no.

You are surely right, knowing EA they might pull the plug in 2 month leaving everybody who bought the game with nothing.

CHeck this out , EA just close server for ROck band on IOS. Leaving everybody who own the application (US$ 4,99) with nothing on may 31.

They are still selling it on itune.  DOn't buy EA

Diablow 3, it sucks ...