Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

Comments

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Summa sumarum, the only thing GW2 has done was make helping other players easy and easily accessible.

No need for grouping, no need to give up a questmob kill or a mining node because you're helping someone else. Want to help someone? Hit the same mob on the go. Or simply press F next to a fallen comrade.

For the first time, our natural social reflexes don't clash with the game mechanics and our "survival" (ingame progress). Positive feelings when helping someone else are always stronger than negative feelings (of f.e. dominance)  when you killed that mob first and therefore get to advance faster than someone else.

That is the GW2 effect for me. Its simple. Its genius. It won't be the solution to EVERYTHING in MMOs. But it made and sold the game for me.

• BreakNFacesBreakNFaces Member UncommonPosts: 77

Originally posted by Indrome

Summa sumarum, the only thing GW2 has done was make helping other players easy and easily accessible.

No need for grouping, no need to give up a questmob kill or a mining node because you're helping someone else. Want to help someone? Hit the same mob on the go. Or simply press F next to a fallen comrade.

For the first time, our natural social reflexes don't clash with the game mechanics and our "survival" (ingame progress). Positive feelings when helping someone else are always stronger than negative feelings (of f.e. dominance)  when you killed that mob first and therefore get to advance faster than someone else.

That is the GW2 effect for me. Its simple. Its genius. It won't be the solution to EVERYTHING in MMOs. But it made and sold the game for me.

Never Looked at it from that point of view, you are on the money there bud

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Whats even more impressive is that ANet (by all accounts) seems to know this and has put a lot of forethought into it.

I miss the days when devs really had to put some brainpower into their games and not just buy an engine, buy a netcode and smush them together with standart sounds and pretty textures/models.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by mcburly

Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend.

I couldn't agree more. I've been hyped for this game since it was announced years ago and I was terribly saddened by how dull it felt when I actually got to try it out. The original GW blew me away when it came out, and I expected no less from GW2, but that feeling just wasn't there. Sadly I'm going to have to pass as well.

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• emestoemesto Member Posts: 55
    Played korea Tera ages ago. It was good but grindy. It probably didn't help that I can't read Korean so I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. The first time I went on a space pony it blew my mind.
  • AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I'm here to confess like many others it'a true I'm addicted and an Altoholic from Gw2.  I created 5 toons and played them all over the weekend trying as many classes as I could. I even tried logging on even though I know its finished, just unable to accept the servers are down, I deffenatly need help badly!

So I've made an appointment to see my doctor and get some help!!! I've even been scouring the internet for bits of information on when the next BWE will be....sadly nothing. I like many others have ended up watching youtub videos to get my daily fix...sad I know!!!

Asbo

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by emesto

Played korea Tera ages ago. It was good but grindy. It probably didn't help that I can't read Korean so I wasn't sure what the hell was going on. The first time I went on a space pony it blew my mind.

Ok, this isn't a Tera discussion. But thank you for your information. 

Edit. Sorry emesto, I looked at your history and you are cool!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Luxumaru

Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend.

I couldn't agree more. I've been hyped for this game since it was announced years ago and I was terribly saddened by how dull it felt when I actually got to try it out. The original GW blew me away when it came out, and I expected no less from GW2, but that feeling just wasn't there. Sadly I'm going to have to pass as well.

How interesting... if you were there, odds are you paid for the game already and it's too late to "have a pass" at it. I doubt the sincerity of this post.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• LuxumaruLuxumaru Member UncommonPosts: 259

Originally posted by Volkon

Originally posted by Luxumaru

How interesting... if you were there, odds are you paid for the game already and it's too late to "have a pass" at it. I doubt the sincerity of this post.

My friend pre-purchased and I played it on his computer. He's in love with it, but it didn't work for me. I'm lucky I didn't make the leap and buy it, I almost did!

Total MMOs played: 274|Enjoyed: 9. >:|

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249
    I think it'll turn into GWindenburg, but I guess we'll see in time.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by Neloth

I think it'll turn into GWindenburg, but I guess we'll see in time.

well at least that would give us some fireworks .....

nah in all seriousness, don't worry it won't be a hindenburg or titanic for the simple fact that it has no subs and the game will sell millions of copies

• Scripture1Scripture1 Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I can see it now. In a couple of years we'll be hearing of guys losing their fiances and husbands getting thrown out the house for not attending their Guildwars 2 anonamous meetings...

• KaykaKayka Member Posts: 3

For all those who still predicting how the game will fail:

They got 1 million subs for the Beta within 48 Hours and they had to close down PrePurchases in NA for some duration because of the unexpected amount of players subbing for the first Beta Event. Go find press articles about the game with writers not liking the game, in fact you wont find (m)any.

The Hype around GW2 has already reached a point where theres no going back. Im pretty sure that at this moment, the game already pays itself (Im not taking this from a financial point). This will be the next Big Thing, if you like it or not.

Its like Truck and its already rolling, go ahead and post your doom prophecies, but remember this: All the hate and negativity you throw against it wont stop it. Guaranteed. Your best bet would be to just get out the way and let it pass.

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

Originally posted by Kayka

For all those who still predicting how the game will fail:

They got 1 million subs for the Beta within 48 Hours and they had to close down PrePurchases in NA for some duration because of the unexpected amount of players subbing for the first Beta Event. Go find press articles about the game with writers not liking the game, in fact you wont find (m)any.

The Hype around GW2 has already reached a point where theres no going back. Im pretty sure that at this moment, the game already pays itself (Im not taking this from a financial point). This will be the next Big Thing, if you like it or not.

Its like Truck and its already rolling, go ahead and post your doom prophecies, but remember this: All the hate and negativity you throw against it wont stop it. Guaranteed. Your best bet would be to just get out the way and let it pass.

Where did you get the 1 million subs number from? I've been looking all over the internet for gw2 subs numbers but can't find any.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

It's more like the sky parted, angels trumpeted and the hand of god delivered salvation in the form of GW2 to gamers who were stuck in a purgatory that was filled with WoW clones. image

• KaykaKayka Member Posts: 3

My bad, i meant for the Closed Beta Event, not the Beta Weekend Event.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/guild-wars-2-beta-attracts-1-million-applicants-6351024

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by OldManFunk

It's more like the sky parted, angels trumpeted and the hand of god delivered salvation in the form of GW2 to gamers who were stuck in a purgatory that was filled with WoW clones. image

You nailed it. Sooo, tired of WoW clones it's not even funny.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

GW2 has ruined wow for my wife and I. Funny I never noticed it until I got play the first GW2 BWE but wow suddenly now appears childish, cartoony, old school, boring. I'll forever cherish all the fun times I had in wow, but I think its time now for my wife and I and friends to move on to better and greater things... GW2 :-)

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    After playing GW2 I cant get into any other mmos right now.  They all seem boring, although I've played most of them so that may be it too.  Also cant get into any single player games.  Last major one was Skyrim.  Theres just nothing interesting out right now.  I'm more in the game of thrones books then I am gaming.  Hopefully we wont have to wait to long for GW2 to come out. Maybe July :)
  • bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    I agree with the OP.  I think the game has a great combination of existing features with some nice new additons. There's also a feeling that a lot of attention went into the game. Features like level adjustements are awesome - no longer do you spend two hours in a zone and never return to it.
  • dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

Thank you for providing reasons for my "withdrawl". I'm not in GW2 and waiting for the next beta!

• SikhanderSikhander Member UncommonPosts: 220

Somehow I have ended up in the same boat as the OP - and that frankly surprises me. There are these games over the last three decades that really caught my attention. I cannot put my finger on what 'that' is - it is just there and you feel it when you play it. Games such as Archon, Doom, System Shock, Diablo, Starcraft, UO and WoW just got you hooked and happy. I thought those days were over for me. Especially in the MMO field.

But here I am feeling like a crack addict for the first time in a long time when it comes to an MMO. Good times indeed :)

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I think I'm experiencing the GW2 effect as well. I don't think I'll ever be able to go back to playing mmos without cash shops or overflow servers.

I can't wait to spend real life money buying extra bag space in game. What an epic moment that will be once the game finally launches. GW2 forever!!

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

Originally posted by Monorojo

Originally posted by wrightstuf

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"its been called the gw2 effect"

so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

Its not hype any more...people have played it

It is still hype. Playing one weekend tells you nothing about the longevity of the game, especially consdiering practically no one experienced anything past the first 20 or so levels.

The game will become rather ghostlike in a few months I assume.

You're quite correct..  You assume O_o

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

I have found a cure for the GW2 effect...  You must quit whatever (inferior) RPGs you are playing and go to another genre.  I have been revisiting some of my favorite blizzard RTS games and it has been very enjoyable  :-)

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.