Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why did TERA fail, and is there any hope of escaping that fate for its launch in the west?

124»

Comments

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

1 day after release. If this is any indication, I feel bad for Tera fans in 6 months to a year.

tera.enmasse.com/server-status

• tallguytallguy Member Posts: 13

When a game is based on recycled ideas, storylines, a fresh coat of paint and a an elitist Cash Shop; the answer should be fairly obvious that failure was/is the only possible outcome.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    One coast is still at work or on thier way home, check in two hours.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    Care to explain Tallguy or was that just a drive-by?

Just not worth my time anymore.

Originally posted by Deron_Barak

One coast is still at work or on thier way home, check in two hours.

It s day 2, but sure i ll check in a few hours, it will be the same or close to it, like it was yesterday. I just can t see this game having more the 2-3 servers fairly quickly.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Leucent

1 day after release. If this is any indication, I feel bad for Tera fans in 6 months to a year.

What exactly does that link prove?  

Originally posted by RebelScum99

Pretty self explainatory.

No, not really.  Unless you have some access to population cap numbers from the game that the rest of us don't.  The issue isn't whether the game will have a million subscribers, because it won't.  It will be a niche title, and I don't think anyone ever denied that.  Niche titles can be very successful too, just look at Eve.  

Anyone trying to glean numbers from how many servers are listed as "recommended," or how many have queues, are pretty ignorant, IMO, since server status reports are a pretty iffy tool to use to determine a game's health in terms of population.  What I'd suggest is to play the game, and ask yourself how it feels in terms of population, because I happen to play on one of those "recommended" servers, and I can say without hesitation that the game feels well populated and active at every level so far.  Like I said, the game is not going to be breaking any records for subs, not by a long shot.  But that doesn't mean it won't have a very healthy population as long as En Masse is judicious in regards to how many servers they add.

Or...instead of taking the word of people that may know more about it than you, you can just continue to sit on the sidelines with your GW2 pals and make astute assumptions about a game you know nothing about.   

No, not really.  Unless you have some access to population cap numbers from the game that the rest of us don't.  The issue isn't whether the game will have a million subscribers, because it won't.  It will be a niche title, and I don't think anyone ever denied that.  Niche titles can be very successful too, just look at Eve.  

Anyone trying to glean numbers from how many servers are listed as "recommended," or how many have queues, are pretty ignorant, IMO, since server status reports are a pretty iffy tool to use to determine a game's health in terms of population.  What I'd suggest is to play the game, and ask yourself how it feels in terms of population, because I happen to play on one of those "recommended" servers, and I can say without hesitation that the game feels well populated and active at every level so far.  Like I said, the game is not going to be breaking any records for subs, not by a long shot.  But that doesn't mean it won't have a very healthy population as long as En Masse is judicious in regards to how many servers they add.

Or...instead of taking the word of people that may know more about it than you, you can just continue to sit on the sidelines with your GW2 pals and make astute assumptions about a game you know nothing about.   

You said No, not really, but in a miss directed way you explained what I m saying. Needless to say, of course it s going to feel busy and alive in starter areas, the game just released. We ll see in 3-6 months.

You said No, not really, but in a miss directed way you explained what I m saying. Needless to say, of course it s going to feel busy and alive in starter areas, the game just released. We ll see in 3-6 months.

I said, "No, not really" because your conclusion that you drew from data that is, at best, incomplete, does not give an obvious reason why TERA wil fail.  Unless, like I said, you know what their population caps are.  

Second, the fact that you would take that server status as a reason to think TERA will fail, and dismiss the fact that, as of right now, even the "recommended" servers have a ton of people running around playing at all levels (I'm level 35, btw, not in a starter zone) makes me question your judgement and motives.  Call me crazy, but I'd always go more by what I actually experience than what incomplete data that an outsider offers as proof says.

Once again, we're talking about whether the game will have a healthy population here, not if it will break any records for subs.  The people that I meet in game love it so far, and if word of mouth spreads about how fun the game is, who knows?  Maybe the population will continue to steadily grow.  It's still going to be a niche title, though.  And I'm fine with that.  

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

The hype for Aion over here was crazy too when it came out, and TERA's still pretty much under the radar here.  I think that's because Guild Wars 2 is what everyone is focused on and there wasn't any traditional MMO to get hyped about when Aion came out.

I think TERA will be a sleeper hit in the West once more people give it a chance.  Not many are though- lots of posts from people who turned it on and saw something different than what they were used to and uninstalled in like 5 minutes.

But I fully expect Secret World to do a typical failcom, even hardcore Star Wars fans to realize SWTOR is awful, and for people to realize that Guild Wars 2 is not going to live up to the hype (no game could live up to the hype it has).

TERA's the first MMO I've played since WoW where I expect subs to actually increase over time rather than do the typical nosedive after a month or two.  Time will tell.

Remember, WoW didn't start with 12 million subs.  I'm not saying TERA's going to match that, but WoW subs grew over time because word spread that it was a fun and polished game.  I see no reason the same thing can't happen wtih TERA.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

Only 11 servers?

2/3 of these show recommended which from the explanation means low pop to empty.

Jesus GW2 beta had 48 servers

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    when did Tera fail? It just came out for God's sake! Geez!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

Originally posted by Saxx0n

Only 11 servers?

2/3 of these show recommended which from the explanation means low pop to empty.

Jesus GW2 beta had 48 servers

Warhammer released with something like 50 servers.  Now it has 1.  

Warhammer was also hyped to hell and back.  We'll see what happens with GW2.

TERA doesn't actually need the amount of servers it has currently.  Most people are playing on the PVP servers, and yet there are more PVE servers than PVP servers.

Personally, I'd rather see it open with less servers and increase as the need arises rather than make the mistake of opening with way too many.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Wow only 11 servers? Didn't Warhammer have more then that at launch? Lol, that actually reminds me of some of the older MMO launch server lists like UO and EQ. The game merged servers in the east because they lost players, not because the servers fit more people. You don't see much press about this game either because the expectations are so low, meaning the game is not put out there as much and ends up not selling as much. Even if the peak of a server is 5k people (which is doubtful) that means how many people had the game at launch...what...maybe 500k at the MOST? If a game starts with that many, chances are they will be at 100-200k subs in a few months. F2P is probably not far off. I think it is fair to assume that in 2013 Tera will go F2P.

Thing about GW2 servers is that they will always be populated due to the nature of the game. It does not have a monthly fee associated so it will always be active. Check out GW1 if you want to see proof of this. F2P (and B2P in this case) games end up with more people playing them for a reason, which is the reason I see a game like Tera going F2P shortly. I don't think many new MMOs can really keep a player base for that long while charging a monthly fee when there are so many options out there.

Originally posted by Celcius

Wow only 11 servers? Didn't Warhammer have more then that at launch? Lol, that actually reminds me of some of the older MMO launch server lists like UO and EQ. The game merged servers in the east because they lost players, not because the servers fit more people. You don't see much press about this game either because the expectations are so low, meaning the game is not put out there as much and ends up not selling as much. Even if the peak of a server is 5k people (which is doubtful) that means how many people had the game at launch...what...maybe 500k at the MOST? If a game starts with that many, chances are they will be at 100-200k subs in a few months. F2P is probably not far off. I think it is fair to assume that in 2013 Tera will go F2P.

That's assuming it follows the typical pattern of bad MMOs that release with high numbers and fail quickly.

TERA isn't going to break any sales records, that's for sure, but it's also not a bad game and has few flaws, unlike most of the MMOs released since WoW.

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Please do not necro post in old threads.

Locked.

This discussion has been closed.