Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Get a Beta Key for PreOrdering Torchlight II

2»

Comments

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

Step 1 preoder torchlight 2

Step 2 wait for neverwinter beta

Step 3 sell beta key for 30$

;D i made 90$ off dota 2 beta keys doing that

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by sk8chalif

Originally posted by Asheram

Originally posted by Vesavius

beta test access for free to play games...

whoop-e-dooo....

Can't believe they are using that as a sales incentive for TL2 :P

just to clarify. Its B2P not f2p. 

I think he was refering to Neverwinter being f2p,but is misunderstanding that closed betas are not always just open doors to anyone who wants to try the game.

oh ya i think he was lol. sorry 

heh yeah...

But not understanding that closed betas are not trials? When they are used for promotional purposes they are exactly that.

If devs want to keep them for strictly testing they need to stop muddying the waters with linking betas into the value of purchased product. Until then, trials is EXACTLY what they should be seen as.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i dont think what they are doing is any different to other companies..GW2 is buy before you play if you want to,same with TSW.so really in effect just good buisness

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by Asheram

whoop-e-dooo....

just to clarify. Its B2P not f2p. 

I think he was refering to Neverwinter being f2p,but is misunderstanding that closed betas are not always just open doors to anyone who wants to try the game.

oh ya i think he was lol. sorry 

heh yeah...

But not understanding that closed betas are not trials? When they are used for promotional purposes they are exactly that.

If devs want to keep them for strictly testing they need to stop muddying the waters with linking betas into the value of purchased product. Until then, trials is EXACTLY what they should be seen as.

This is nothing more than an enticement for people to part with their cash.  However, like every other company (including the vaunted - and apparently angelic Arenanet) there will be a completely seperate pool of dedicated testers who will be running the most up to date beta.  The 'paid' testers...not so lucky :D

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Before people chide companies for doing this, maybe you should look at the reason why they KEEP doing this.. the gamer populous.

The gamers are the ones who use the "beta test" as a free game test. A very small majority of people beta testing actually contribute useful information these days.

So yeah, they've turned into big previews of the game because developers know that the majority of people won't bother to even open a bug report.

This won't change until the players change.. and since that'll never happen, expect it to be the norm in the future.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by gilgamesh42

Step 1 preoder torchlight 2

Step 2 wait for neverwinter beta

Step 3 sell beta key for 30$

;D i made 90$ off dota 2 beta keys doing that

Wow 90 whole dollars eh? How very industrious of you.

The above is a perfect example of why true beta testing is going the way of the dodo bird, when a select few abuse the system everyone else is punished as a result.

Selfishness, plain and simple.

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400
    Nobody if forcing anyone to pre order.. so what's with some of the qq?
  • elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45

Easy buy to me. I think both games with be great. Also it's just $19.99...  Also I am damn sure that Neverwinter will not be cancelled by any means neither will Torchlight 2 even if they have no release dates or dates for closed beta access.

I also fail to see why all this whining. I think it's an excellent way to get in this example me hyped into another game at the same time I get to play TL2. If you don't like this closed beta thing or whatever else you don't like just don't preorder and stop QQing about it in the chat.

/E

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877

Originally posted by Dakirn

Before people chide companies for doing this, maybe you should look at the reason why they KEEP doing this.. the gamer populous.

The gamers are the ones who use the "beta test" as a free game test. A very small majority of people beta testing actually contribute useful information these days.

So yeah, they've turned into big previews of the game because developers know that the majority of people won't bother to even open a bug report.

This won't change until the players change.. and since that'll never happen, expect it to be the norm in the future.

But you can do a lot better "play test" and reach more consumers by posting beta keys up on sites like this.  All what they are doing is to try to increase sales for TL2 plain n simple.  I'm QQing over this over the principle that beta keys are being used as a sales pitch.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

And yet the Steam deal is still far and away the clear winner.

You pay $20 for Torchlight 2, and get the $15 Torchlight 1 free to use for yourself or give to a friend/trade for things.

Besides PWE games give out keys like candy for their games regardless. It doesn't take much to get a beta key for any of them.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Oh son of a bitch...that's so low. So cruel! How dare they stoop to such levels.

*runs off to Steam*

Edit - oh wait, they're not the same deal? : nevermind, back to other things.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526
    Dammit .... i want it on steam ... and want the beta key :)
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by ahall1983

Ahh the big battle of the preorder gifts: Beta key from Perfect World, or a free copy of Torchlight 1 from Steam which is giftable if you already have it

Also buy purchasing from steam I get it added to my steam library. I love steam because of how it keeps all my games in one place. Also steam achievements!

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• HardIceHardIce Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, is there any way to delete a posted message? o_O

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

whoop-e-dooo....

Its been a sales incintive for alot of games for quite awhile now......Once these companies learned that they could make money off of betas, it is slowly becoming the norm.....

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Originally posted by Vocadi

Originally posted by Slampig

Man, remember when companies wanted to offer beta test invitations, to you know, TEST the games? Now it is just, "Pay us for this...". Not a fan...

Maybe I am old and grumpy, but have you SEEN that Guild Wars 2 login screen!?!?

I must be of the old/grumpy persuasion also. Beta tests have turned into Beta demo.... 

+1.

It shouldn't be allowed. 

Surely selling a Demo and calling it a 'test' is false advertising?

And don't even get me started on the way the quality of these games after these (so called) tests is so poor...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.