Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3: Auction House & Global Play FAQs Released

2»

Comments

• clankyaspclankyasp Member Posts: 213

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

inb4 massive account theft scandal from a keylogger in a flash ad resulting in the sale of hunderds of thousands of dollars worth of god tier equipment from compromised characters that blizzard doesn't catch onto until half a year after its occurance.

"Players will be required to attach a Battle.net Authenticator, free Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, or Dial-In Authenticator (where available) in order to carry a Battle.net Balance over $100 USD (or equivalent local currency) ."

RMAH is region "locked". Asian farmers / "hackers" will now not only have to get accounts registered in your region (which is likely not china) they will also have to get a cell phone with a contract and an authenticator just to sell on the RMAH. That means, the RMAH will likely not be plagued with dirt cheap items

Why even post without having a clue.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by chilliz

Originally posted by mmoDAD

And how is this supposed to stop outside sources from selling items?

Blizzard management has become extremely poor. It's no wonder why this company is cutting jobs

DO you understand or not?  There is no need to go to chinese sellers, because guess what the players actuarun the economy.  So YOU MAKE MONEY  for actually playing a game, and blizzard makes money.  WTH is the problem?? I swear some peopel  really complain just for the hell of it , JESUS YOU GET TO MAKE MONEY.  YOU can make as little as you want, or im guessing there will probabaly be very smaplayers making alot of sick money.

Heh, you still don't see it do you?  You're little mom and pop operation is going be competing head on with the chinese farming megcorps who are NOW legitimately part of the economy.  Blizzard saw to that.  Who do you think will command the market now -- you with your couple of hours a night or the warehouse full of drones, being paid a pittance to farm until their eyes bleed?  Good luck going up against digital Wal Mart.

In this scerario, only the player can lose and the house (Blizzard) can only win.

And yeah, we told you so.

Except that the RMAH is region locked and there isn't even one available in the asian region.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    You always think what  new can Blizzard invent and this guys give you always surprise, they are just amazing. Now you can even earn real money in game, you must give respect to Blizz even if you hate them. I can only imagine what for huge success will be Titan
  • Bushi13Bushi13 Member Posts: 123

Originally posted by dubyahite

Except that the RMAH is region locked and there isn't even one available in the asian region.  

Since we are in 2012 I'm sure that any serious farming company will find a way to mask their DNS and find a gateway to all region without breaking a sweet. And therefore  loggin in any so called region locked server. Just pls don't think people are stupid, because you' ll be amaze how the gain of money can make people crazy clever. Look at blizzard for example how clever they became with diablo3 and earning money without doing anything.

That is for the official part, now that this is out of the way, let's talk about hacking and stealing and ingame cheats. SInce a couple of years almost all network have been hack and almost all customers information has been stolen, including creditcard credential.

Since blizzard is so bright and since diablo2 had never had any issues with hacking, cheating and such practice, I believe anybody can trust blizzard with their credit card and ofc time investment /commitment playing diablo3. Rub it in because there is no vaseline.

Diablo 3 is a waist of time, money, energy, freedom and good gameplay.

Noway any blizzard game is ever coming to my PC ever again.(for good measure)

Diablow 3, it sucks ...

Originally posted by Bushi13

Diablo 3 is a waist of time, money, energy, freedom and good gameplay.

Noway any blizzard game is ever coming to my PC ever again.(for good measure)

So you just hate Blizzard, ok, nothing new. I guess no arguments would work against that.

You know the number of items you can actually put on sale on RMAH is limited, right? And those eastern "businesses" would have to buy lots of valid accounts for which they need to forge the IP addresses in order to be real "businesses", right?

Blizzard earning money "without doing anything" is only your view of things... They thought about the system, put it in place etc. And they offer you the possibility to make some money. Ah, the fact that you'll make less than the asian farmers, the fact that it won't be a fortune, that i am sure about. It will still be SOMETHING tho. What games do you play which give you this opportunity?

• Lambon23Lambon23 Member UncommonPosts: 66

What's stopping Blizzard from making the item drops absurdly rare and the company themselves selling them.

Absolutely nothing. I guarantee you that the best of the best will be items sold by Blizz themselves.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

its always so much easier to just focus on possible negatives, though it seems a lot around here just hate blizzard to hate blizzard.  

i find it strange people let this company effect their emotions so much, its like blizzard somehow ruined their lives or something.

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Blizz gave away 1.2 million copies of D3.

Now why would a company do that?

WoW subscriber retention? In part, sure. But my best guess is that they wanted to create yet another sustainable revenue stream.

For every item sold, they are getting either $1 or 15% of the price, and they pay that out in Battlenet bucks. Why? Because they can hit you with another 15% fee if you actually want to see your money in cash.

This isn't about gaining "a little profit" - they're doing this because they think they can make a hell of a lot more money out of this than the box sales.

In one fell swoop, Blizz made both buying gold and buying PvP advantage acceptable in a mainstream game.

They aren't trying to protect consumers. They saw how much money was in the secondary market and said hey, why shouldn't we get that? And you can imagine that they will be watching this closely to see if people accept it, so they can push RMAH even further into their other products.

I'm amazed at people saying things like "If you don't like it don't use it" or "Blizz is trying to protect us" or "This is to crush gold farmers." This strikes me as naive. Blizz is a company trying to make money, and they're looking for ways to monetize everything. First it was in-game mounts, then in-game pets, then paid name/race change, then paid character transfer, then paid guild server transfers, then BOE in-game pets that you could sell for gold, and now their crowning achievement RMAH. If people accept this in this game, would you accept it in WoW? In Titan?

I believe that they know that since the MMO landscape is changing that they are going to make less and less money in flat sub fees, and are shifting as much as they can to a paid services model.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527

Originally posted by expresso

Why are ppl so obsessed  with TAX? is this an American thing? you sell something on ebay do you worry about the tax man? Way back in the good times (mid 90's) I made and sold Amiga shareware games, made maybe a few hundered pounds in a good month - tax never entered my mind and still doesn't when I sell odds and ends on ebay, or do the odd short term coding job on the side for a few hundred.

Besides anyone thinking they're get rich off this is fooling themselves, it will takes months before the high price ultrarare items establish themselves as that.  Enjoy the game that is all.

But RMAH is the ultimate player driven economeny if an item is never put up for sale on the RMHA then that item will never appear on the RMAH to be bought, and once it is bought then it's gone from the RMHA, which puts to bed the P2W issue.

Because the taxman is so obsessed with taxes in the USA and the penalties are higher than the amount of the taxes you evaded.

Aka nobody wants to go to jail for not reporting income on their amiga shareware program.

Thing is something as simple as setting up a lemonade stand these days can require tons of permits, classes, and other things such that they have essentially been made illegal to have such. 

Taxes are so palpable that a lot of people in the USA do worry about that $300 they might make in a game like diablo 3 because someday the government may get that data from blizzard and the painful audit that would ensue is enough to make it worthwhile just to fill out the extra formwork to send in the governments $120 cut of that $300 (because it is not just income tax on it, you have to also do self-employment tax for the medicare and fica taxes out of it).  Oh then there are the state taxes -- they also want their cut.

• CptAlphCptAlph Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Kamikazego

Either way, you're really getting money for doing almost nothing if you think about it.  You're playing a game to have fun and you get a nice item that you can't use, so you toss it up on the AH.

Still trying to filter all the details through my addled brain -- if you "toss it up on the AH," don't you still get charged $1 just for posting it?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Originally posted by simmihi

"Players will be required to attach a Battle.net Authenticator, free Battle.net Mobile Authenticator, or Dial-In Authenticator (where available) in order to carry a Battle.net Balance over $100 USD (or equivalent local currency) ."

RMAH is region "locked". Asian farmers / "hackers" will now not only have to get accounts registered in your region (which is likely not china) they will also have to get a cell phone with a contract and an authenticator just to sell on the RMAH. That means, the RMAH will likely not be plagued with dirt cheap items

You don't think they have access to someone in the US that has a cell phone?

Being a veteran of D2 I understand the need for the RMAH and appreciate the security of it.  But don't think the chinese farming companies can't make it work.  Unless there's a way to prevent transfering items to the US account, I don't see Blizzard stopping them.

• Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19

Probably going to be told to go read a faq or something, but maybe I can get a quick answer on this. I have no PayPal account. I won't be getting a PayPal account because Ive been perma-banned. Mistakenly and fraudlently Perma-banned. Hence, I hate PayPal anyway. But is there going to be any way to use the AH without a PayPal account?

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

• Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19

Thanks for the info!

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

You don't think they have access to someone in the US that has a cell phone?

Being a veteran of D2 I understand the need for the RMAH and appreciate the security of it.  But don't think the chinese farming companies can't make it work.  Unless there's a way to prevent transfering items to the US account, I don't see Blizzard stopping them.

That was a reply to the guy foreseeing hacks of hundreds of thousands dollars before Blizzard wakes up. Let me post just a few of what i've read about RMAH which solves / helps with some security issues:

Why using the RMAH themselves is not efficient for a farming company:

1. You must register your account to your region. Asia doesnt even have RMAH now. Yea, they might have connections in the US/ EU, but...

2. You can only list 10 items per week!!! on the RMAH. Not that efficient for asian companies to sell their sh*t thru this official method. That would mean a lot of accounts, a lot of connections outside Asia, with valid accounts, in order to have a hefty number of items for sale.

Why "hacking" should not be an issue

3. Anyone with a 100 USD balance must have an authenticator. I've never heard about people who had authenticators being hacked, there might have been situations but i'm pretty sure they're marginal. If someone's intending to use RMAH and he does not attach an authenticator to the account, well he actually is kinda asking for it.

4. You need PayPal to cash out. Someone else here which can permaban you for fishy practices.

Will accounts still get hacked? Yea, if people don't attach an authenticator. The thing is dirt cheap / free. Will a parallel black market exist? Yea, for sure it will. Probably Asian "farming companies". Will they be as successful as in other games? No. That's what the RMAH mainly solves in my eyes. People will be less tempted to risk their accounts anymore, buying from fishy sources. They will preffer the official way. Gold can be sold on the RMAH, as a commodity, people can buy gold directly from other players there.

Will that make the game "Pay to Win"? (i love this term, no one agrees over a definition) No, it will make it unfair in the views of some people. Gamer A, with lots of time, gets a rare item, and he sells him directly to Gamer B, who has less time to farm but can afford paying for it. The company gets its share. It's in my nature not to "agree" with these practices but i cannot refuse to accept that a) it is way better than a cash shop where you buy power directly (see the GW2 drama on this subject) b) some players can make a few bucks for what they love to do, if they're lucky.

Even if it might not be perfect, i see this RMAH as innovation, a thing which "was coming" to online gaming, a WAY WAY BETTER approach than the cash shop, and we're gonna see it more and more in online gaming. Hell, maybe even some serious companies launching / changing to free to play models based on this - players trade between them, with the company taking their cut.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

Originally posted by DarkVagabond

inb4 massive account theft scandal from a keylogger in a flash ad resulting in the sale of hunderds of thousands of dollars worth of god tier equipment from compromised characters that blizzard doesn't catch onto until half a year after its occurance.

This calls for an "I pretty much called it" necropost.