Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

Comments

• RivalenRivalen Member Posts: 503

Honeymoon phase happens for every game you try and really like.

GW2 is on that list for me.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

What's kind of ironic but funny is that I was one of those who really didn't have much love for GW2 simply because it was f2p and not p2p.. I just figured it wouldn't be worth my time. Well, I decided to roll the dice since I'm not playing any mmo atm, and pre purchased it just so I can try it out this past weekend..  Then I was planning on buying Tera this week to play that for a couple weeks as a placeholder for Diablo 3....

Well,,, now I have no intention of buying Tera, and I'm now that excited about Diablo 3 as I was before this weekend, lol.. It's crazy but I think GW2 has massive potential to be legendary, and It may be the beginning of the end for the sub p2p mmorpg's..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Rivalen

Honeymoon phase happens for every game you try and really like.

GW2 is on that list for me.

True.

As with the RL version, it's how well you enjoy your time after the honeymoon phase is over that really counts in the end :)

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256
    I suffer from this... Game was awesome, nothing else feels right now.... Can't wait for a darn release date!!!
  • ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Iselin

Originally posted by lokiboard

I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

No, no... it's all just electrons... everything is the same: Oatmeal and Creme Brule...just carbs...might as well just pour sugar in your mouth...

Nihilism rocks... oh wait, no it sucks too.... just like everything else

LOOOOL awesome post

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"its been called the gw2 effect"

so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

except for the part where the quality and work put into GW2 far exceeds that of SWTOR, and is pretty obvious right from the get-go

and i'm pretty sure most people who weren't blindly hyped to all hell could see that SWTOR wasn't going to be 'amazing' from the start

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Originally posted by Volkon

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

I was going to open a similar thread.

After the beta event I have lost any interest in touching any other MMO

I hev still 1 month left for SWTOr but after GW2 beta II havent even logged iin once in SWTOR

AION,RIFT ,AOC all uninstalled no desire to log on those worlds

I enjoy World of tanks so heavily playing on there test server these days.

• sassoonsssassoonss Member UncommonPosts: 1,132

Originally posted by ebonized

"its been called the gw2 effect"

so how long is it gonna take gw2 to suffer the swtor effect.you know,the community hyping the game like its the 2nd coming of christ and then the game ends up flopping because people went into it with a bit to much hope

except for the part where the quality and work put into GW2 far exceeds that of SWTOR, and is pretty obvious right from the get-go

and i'm pretty sure most people who weren't hyped to all hell could see that SWTOR wasn't going to be 'amazing' from the start

correct - SWTOR feels so far left behind its a nice game I loved my trooper but compared to GW2 I am not interested in SWTOR anymore

• AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Originally posted by Unlight

Originally posted by Dredphyre

"The GW2 Effect"? You mean that explosive urge I have in my bowels is called the GW2 Effect?  Thanks for pointing that out...

Actually that's the troll effect, where you have the explosive urge in your bowels to empty them through your mouth.

To the OP, for my part, I'll be playing Firefall until next BWE.

Omfg this is one of the best posts I've ever seen here, Unlight you rule. haha

Also, I really enjoyed the beta weekend but because I've been around the block so many times with these games I also look more critically at them then I probably should.  Was the game fun?  Sure, but I also enjoyed SWTOR during beta weekends as well and I can say that TOR is a piece of shit MMO post launch.  GW2 needs some work done, which I'm sure Anet knows.  However, the game for me will rise and fall with how well the game is developed through the rest of its incubation period and post launch.  For that we'll have to wait and see.  For now, my excitement is in check.

• dead2soondead2soon Member Posts: 149
    I'm excited to try out GW2 but I'm going to give it a little time to see how things pan out. It doesn't carry a sub so there's no commitment issue but I have concerns as to how the cash shop will work out long term. Great to see people loving the game but the "Honeymoon" period all games are granted has me taking the cautious approach. I really want to love it but I don't want to get my heart broken. So I will gaze from afar for now.
  • MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    It is a great mmo. I like it alot, I mean alot....

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• GalaxyzGalaxyz Member Posts: 22
    I am just playing Skyrim  to cope with this ridiculous GW2 withdrawal.
  • nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Well I will say this sense so many others said the rest I cant wait till this comes out.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Have to agree with the OP on this one. I fell in love with Rift, but after playing the beta...it just feels so old now. It feels like the old generation of mmo's and GW2 feels like th new.
  • illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Bah, nothing's wrong with TF2, I enjoy that quite a bit. Just after GW2, I really didn't feel like playing not-GW2. After I tried to (and failed to) dodge-roll in TF2 I simply exited.

Ah I see. 

Yeah that happened to a whole bunch of players from our TF2 group once they tried out L.O.L.

I guess constantly farming for skins  is more fun that waiting for hats to drop?

...would love to see more TF2 players show up though, I think they're a lot more prepared for this game's challenges than a lot of gamers from other genres out there.  (if there are any out there... maybe we can set up some PvP alliances?  That'd be cool)

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    You guys do realize that there are other MMOs with active dodge abilities in them, right? 
  • CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

Originally posted by Sector13

You guys do realize that there are other MMOs with active dodge abilities in them, right? 

yeah

age of conan,and everyone knows how well age of conan went

lulz

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784

Originally posted by Sector13

yeah

age of conan,and everyone knows how well age of conan went

lulz

Interesting to see your lack of MMO knowledge. How about the 6 other MMOs I can think off the top of my head that have it? 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by Monorojo

It is funny, playing GW2 with its horrible ability delay and empty promises of innovation in questing when they are just the same old quests with a slight spin made me yearn for WoW again.

Too each their own i guess.

Wrong game Mono.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    the GW2 effect for me was that i didnt want to play it ever anymore after 4h gametime. cancelled preorder n removed it from hdd.
  • dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

This happened to me after Pax last year. I had this list of games period i wanted to play, and the more videos came out, the more i hated a lot of the things i was playing. I played Rift for months, it just never felt like more than what was out there. I played TOR to build a relationship with my boss and it proved to be space version of what was out there. 

I can't even fathom playing console games, neither Skyrim or Alamur did it for me.  Final FAntasy XIII-2 was a joke.  

I was just thinking, i'd rather wait another 30 days before i play a game again.  

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Originally posted by Thralia

the GW2 effect for me was that i didnt want to play it ever anymore after 4h gametime. cancelled preorder n removed it from hdd.

No, that is called a minority report. 

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by RizelStar

Originally posted by Monorojo

It is funny, playing GW2 with its horrible ability delay and empty promises of innovation in questing when they are just the same old quests with a slight spin made me yearn for WoW again.

Too each their own i guess.

Wrong game Mono.

Good point I think somebody mixed up a Tera troll in the GW2 forums

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

So... how you doin'?

I totally agree with the "GW2 Effect". In fact, as someone who has gathered every scrap of information available on the game over the last year, I've been under the "GW2 effect" for several months now. I tried, really tried, to enjoy TERA beta, but I just couldn't do it because of an appreciation of GW2 game design I possessed well before finally getting a chance to try the game this last weekend.

Now that I have spent 38 hours playing the game and have been left wanting much, much more, other MMOs just have no appeal to me. I'll watch other titles for innovation, but I need to put together a new list of "must have" features for future games based on GW2. In particular, quest hub games are dead for me. I never want to see another MMO with a linear quest log as the primary source of PvE content. Ever. Active dodging and moving while using skills are also a must for me as well.

I remember having a similar feeling after partaking of the WoW beta. Although I think GW2 is a bigger advancement than WoW was at the time, no one can deny that WoW changed the face of MORPG gaming. When I finished my first weekend of WoW, I wasn't only excited about the game, but that it might be a harbinger of what could be a very promising new direction in MMORPG design. What other developers did with that paradigm shift were mostly disappointing. I'm hoping that titles that follow the GW2 revolution will do a better job at leveraging this new paradigm to best effect, for the sake of the genre.

At least I can feel pretty confident that I will always have GW2 and it's expansions to look forward to over the next few years, while remaining hopeful that at some point other games will be able to match what GW2 brings to the table. That I won't have a subscription fee to worry about is just icing on the cake.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• RaapnaapRaapnaap Member UncommonPosts: 455

I'm well pleased with the game, bugs (not that many) and server issues aside.

I went back to my 'main' game after the weekend and tried double tapping... didn't work too well. Logged out not long after that, out of boredom. Mind you, that's not just GW2's effect, a lot of MMO's in general stopped to entertain me with the repeatitive quest grind.

GW2 is the first game in many years that actually didn't make me feel sick from PvEing, it was enjoyable, and I felt I was much more free in where I could go, unlike previous releases where I was forced to walk a pre-set road that didn't allow me leaving and going off into the wilds (Rift, SWTOR, TERA, ect). I really enjoyed that sole fact, the no-handholding approach to PvE, which is so rare in 'modern' MMO's these days.

Oh and WvWvW is very awesome, and I just hope they properly add the guild holding claiming features as they didn't appear to be present in the beta.