Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Rage!

Comments

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

my problem wasn't the bugs it was the downright awful overflow crap

my wife and i join the game group up we finish up part of our story and she gets a message that she has been kicked into the overflow server. she disappears right in front of me and there is no way for me to find her unless i disconnect and reconnect hoping to get the right instance she is in ..... how do you kick someone to another instance and not give other players a tool to follow them to that instance?

PVP matches were a joke, I can't believe they are going to randomize groups. yep you heard me, you cannot queue as a group and if you do join with others in your guild/friends you may or may not be on the same team. because thats what i want to do when i join a guildies game .... fight against them.

sorry but its not all just bullshit bugs that people are raging over, and yes its beta but these two decisions are just downright stupid of Anet, and they BETTER be corrected before release.

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36
    My point is that the vast majority felt it was very smooth, only the obnoxiously loud few (who most likely didn't follow directions properly) are coming to MMORPG to complain.
  • WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by orbitxo

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

They want to market beta and use it to increase sales?

your dilusional- this game dosent need all the hype it has already gotten. they dont need to sell a beta to increase any sales- as a matter of fact they are probably doin it for internal performance issues, and as some posts have already stated -dont play beta if you dislike disruptions -wait for offical release.

Lol..I'm delusional? You are if you think that wasn't the goal here bud. Wake up.

...and where did I say I personally have a problem with issues in a beta? Learn to read my posts if you're going to comment on them.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

The main crutch of the problem was that people had to pay to play the beta.

You may expect to find bugs whilst playing but most fundamentaly, especially after having paid, you at least expect to be able to login.

I think that's were most of the rage came from.

That's an outsiders view because I haven't pre-bought the game myself. I was stung by SWTOR and swore never to go down that route again.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I agree that some players were going overboard with their demands and rage, because after all it is beta and shit happens in beta. And even with a launch it can go wrong on the first day.

On the other hand, Arenanet sold the prepurchase with specifically mentioned that you got access to beta. This is what is different from a normal beta. If you use beta access to sell more prepurchases, then you also have to make sure that people also get access. So for a large part, it is Arenanet's own fault to create such high expectations surrounding this beta event.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    i had loads of eror messages but just kept trying.although i agree on the principle that its beta.but here is the thing.they sold this game on the promise of people who bought being allowed to play in beta.when you do that,you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot,especially with gw2 when all the errors happened people who had paid on the promise of being allowed in beta threw the teddies  around the room.if your gonna charge people to play in a beta like  Anet kind of did,you better make sure you get it right,cos all of the little kiddies  flip if you dont get it right.
  • RodimusPrimeRodimusPrime Member Posts: 114

They want to market beta and use it to increase sales?

your dilusional- this game dosent need all the hype it has already gotten. they dont need to sell a beta to increase any sales- as a matter of fact they are probably doin it for internal performance issues, and as some posts have already stated -dont play beta if you dislike disruptions -wait for offical release.

Isn't that what they did though? Sell beta. And at full price even.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Heh sounded like the truth and was fair and balanced. Maybe this article will get stellar #1 ratings as FoxNews enjoys. ; )

eew- and we all know what kinda people watch foxnews.

<.<

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    For me Friday night was horrible, had  a few issues on saturday and sunday worked like a charm. All in all, i enjoyed the weekend. 

Originally posted by Ecoces

my problem wasn't the bugs it was the downright awful overflow crap

my wife and i join the game group up we finish up part of our story and she gets a message that she has been kicked into the overflow server. she disappears right in front of me and there is no way for me to find her unless i disconnect and reconnect hoping to get the right instance she is in ..... how do you kick someone to another instance and not give other players a tool to follow them to that instance?

PVP matches were a joke, I can't believe they are going to randomize groups. yep you heard me, you cannot queue as a group and if you do join with others in your guild/friends you may or may not be on the same team. because thats what i want to do when i join a guildies game .... fight against them.

sorry but its not all just bullshit bugs that people are raging over, and yes its beta but these two decisions are just downright stupid of Anet, and they BETTER be corrected before release.

I agree totally, the overflow system was bjorked. But even Anet has admitted to this and is working on a fix, this is what BETA is for.

As for you other complaints, they are valid, you dislike the design concept. THis is an example of a contructive review post, not a rant. Well said, Ecoces.

Originally posted by adaneshade

My point is that the vast majority felt it was very smooth, only the obnoxiously loud few (who most likely didn't follow directions properly) are coming to MMORPG to complain.

That is so wrong. For the European servers  (I can't talk for the US players) the first day was hell. The few that got in were booted not long after. Due to timezone difference (for Europe the beta started in the evening), a lot of European players didn't get to play untill the day after. 

I also don't know what you mean with not following directions. There was not much that could go wrong with installing the client. The log in problems also didn't have anything to do with that. That was on Arenanet's side.

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152
    I suspect the issue at hand reflects the need for a queueing system which is apparently lacking at the moment, causing the lock-outs. Outside of this, the beta ran smoother than many game launches and since we don't even have a release date yet - that's pretty darn good in my book.
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I think phone texting and twitter has ruined people on reading.

Take for instance that pre-purchasing is just that, you are buying the game prior to the release of it. No where does this equal you are getting the final product until release.

The fact that players cannot understand this simple and basic morsel of knowledge goes to show how little some take to actually comprehend things.

The words BETA TEST represent exactly what those two words mean, yet the comprehension of those two words seem to have been lost on those who felt the need to get angry at the fact that while testing the game they had "issues".

So yes, in the end i feel that reading comprehension in todays world is at a low, and since i work in education, and so does my wife, i can honestly state that unless its under 255 character limit, they just won't get it.

I will again provide this information since those who have a hard time comprehending things probably won't bother looking up the meaning of it.

Beta Test-

A trial of machinery, software, or other products, in the final stages of its development, carried out by a party unconnected with its development.

(under 255 characters)

Lolipops !

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Heh sounded like the truth and was fair and balanced. Maybe this article will get stellar #1 ratings as FoxNews enjoys. ; )

eew- and we all know what kinda people watch foxnews.

<.<

" Yep " We sure do.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

I rarely play in any pre release beta unless my focus is entirely on helping to improve the game.

I don't like to ruin my first experience with a game by having an ugly buggy mess to deal with and I do not want to get turned off, or bored with a game prior to release.

I also tend to reserve my judgement for the time that I get to play the game and try very hard not to let someone elses opinion sway me. I appreciate most points of view to a certain degree, but I also realize that the things that I want from a game, and the things that others want from a game can be quite different.

This past week end beta for GW2 was something I avoided. I did not want the small pre release issues to become gigantic issues for me. I gather that overall the test went well but I tend to wonder how many people contributed constructively to the developers. It is one thing to post your opinions on the various forum sites but another entirely offer legitimate feedback to the host.

If this beta was not intended to recieve any feedback, then I would wager that Anet shut the doors and windows on opportunity.

I believe people are too eager to play in beta and entirely misunderstand the purpose behind it. Anet took a huge risk with this one, it may have paid off but it also could have gone horribly wrong.

I am looking forward to playing the game, but I really want to play the finished product, not play something that could turn me off of the game before it is released. If you are not prepared to put that love/hate on the line then do not join in pre release beta.

• xavurexavure Member UncommonPosts: 24

Down time was way lower than UP time. I mean it was what kind of ratio 1:10.....maybe more

1:25??

• keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by jacklo

The main crutch of the problem was that people had to pay to play the beta.

You may expect to find bugs whilst playing but most fundamentaly, especially after having paid, you at least expect to be able to login.

I think that's were most of the rage came from.

That's an outsiders view because I haven't pre-bought the game myself. I was stung by SWTOR and swore never to go down that route again.

Was the prec-purchase really the problem? I mean some people would pay for a DOTA 2, (Diablo 3,) CS GO, The Secret World, Firefall Beta Key. IMO people love to complain. The game really doesn't matter as long they have something to complain.

Originally posted by iamflymolo

I suspect the issue at hand reflects the need for a queueing system which is apparently lacking at the moment, causing the lock-outs. Outside of this, the beta ran smoother than many game launches and since we don't even have a release date yet - that's pretty darn good in my book.

Exactly, there are still likely a few months before the game is ready for release. I mean, they haven't even included 2 of the races in BETA events yet.

If people pre-purchased and honestly expected a polished, ready for release game they obviously didn't do any research beforehand. 

This weekend was the first large group BETA put on, and the first with serious gamers for the most part instead of clueless journalists. I guarantee the next one will have improved alot.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    I never encountered any errors at all just lag lol love this game.
  • UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

This is what happens when you offer beta access via prepurchase or preorder. Nothing new here and I have no sympathy for companies being taken to task over it. Matter of fact I'm rather sick of people always laying the blame at the feet of the players and giving these companies a free pass. It's getting really old. You reap what you fucking sow. They want to market beta and use it to increase sales? This is what happens when some pay for the product and can't play or have serious issues. Beta or no.

Let 'em rage. They paid for the product. Like I'm supposed to have sympathy for Anet when they essentially had the majority pay to get access to their beta. Give me a break.

Yeah, and I know for a fact that some of them paid for a pre-order product, not a pre-purchase, which is what they asked for and what they were told they were receiving.  How do I know?  Some bright bulb had the gumption to examine the DVD case and read the words "pre-order" on it.  They were using the wrong keys, sold to them by either an incompetent or shady retailer.

As I understand it, this was also ArenaNet's fault because they received the same email message that everyone did after putting in their key.  No fault to the the consumer though, right?

Let 'em rage.  ArenaNet has been bending over backwards on the beta forums working with them and trying to explain some of the confusion.  I knew what I was getting and had a fucking blast playing.  Oh, and here's the kicker --- so did most people.  The ones who had troubles were a tiny minority.  The servers were still packed, even without them.  Also, very few complaint in the game's chat.  People that were playing were pretty silent if they had something to bitch about.  My experience is that when someone has a beef, it's almost impossible to shut them the hell up (just see these forums where people complain *just* to support someone else's complaints).  Chat was all roses and daisies though on my server.

I feel bad for the few who had legitimate keys and still couldn't log in due to account problems.  They have a right to complain and demand a refund.  Access to all BWE's was guaranteed.  The rest though, bitching about bugs and lag?  Tough.  I tune them out faster than a country music station.  To their credit, ArenaNet continues to treat them diplomatically, cooing to soothe their bruised egos.  Few companies would even bother going that far.

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

Originally posted by RodimusPrime

Isn't that what they did though? Sell beta. And at full price even.

not at all.

they actually sold you the offical game, and if you pre purchased- you will get access to beta weekends as a purk- they didnt haveto to add that at all - many would still be playing this at release date.

this is a win/win for anyone who had signed up months ago for a beta invite and didnt get one.

... whos gonna officially play it on release date-like myself.

not - 'let me try it out in beta and decide later'-type of person.- and there are alot of you out there like that , and perhaps thats how you see it- as a marketing ploy- couse you cant have access to play it for free first.

as for those who prepurchased at a shop at a later date during beta weekend- Its just poor planning.

• EliandalEliandal Member Posts: 796

Originally posted by BillMurphy

Did you read the article? It's about how people need to take Beta into account and STOP raging.  ;)

Bill Bill Bill...you should know by now that people only read the Headline before flying into their rage over the topic :D

On a related note, I 'lost' my level 9 Elementalist on Saturday - so had to start over.  Actually had a very good discussion with them  about what might have happened.  I asked for a level 30 Elementalist in compensation!  Anet countered with 'Roll a new one'  Since it's Beta, I accepted their 'offer' :D!

• werewoodwerewood Member Posts: 76

This beta went extremely well for me!

Really, my friend had issues to login the first day, but by Sunday Arenanet solve it already! They actually fix the game for us, as we test it for them. Get real guys.

The game had a great dynamic event system and not so great heart questing system. Personal story is subjective to whether you like to solo. But for me this game is all about finally working with people whether you know them or not.

They have PLENTY of optimization ahead of them. Lag with 20+ people around you, or the capacity of WvW that kept people 30+ minutes in queue to enter the map. But this is Beta and this is on their top priority.

The most annoying thing in this beta weekend for me was asynch of the overflow instances with group members. Had hard time finding my friend between all those overflow instances. And I KNOW that they are ALREADY working on a fix. So again - great game and a willing team that is working hard to fix it.

I wonder if this cry though would make them call out for more frequent weekend testing, like next weekend?! that could be a good reward to both sides ;)

• ArcheangelArcheangel Member UncommonPosts: 49

In my opinion this comes down to an infantile mindset.  People pre-purchased the game, knowing it wasn't done, knowing that  beta tests exist to fix bugs like this.  They purchased the game knowing there would be problems, and now they are jumping up and down in there cribs like infants who don't want to take a nap.  There was a poll on here asking how many people were going to ask for refunds on the pre-purchase.  60% or more said no they weren't, the other largest number were people who didn't pre-purchase in the first place.

I played all weekend, except for a couple hours after the server crash saturday.  The worst bug i dealt with was being kicked out of my guild after that server crash.  Beyond that I was extremely happy with my experience, as were all of my friends who also played this weekend.

Honestly most of the negative forum posts I have seen about this game are rediculous.  "This game has too many fanboi's" "The graphics are horrible" "Gem shop makes the game pay to win"

Honestly it seems that the trolls are out in force on this one, they pre-purchased looking for any and every excuse they could find to crucify the developer.  It's pathetic and infantile.

Originally posted by Voiidiin

I think phone texting and twitter has ruined people on reading.

Take for instance that pre-purchasing is just that, you are buying the game prior to the release of it. No where does this equal you are getting the final product until release.

The fact that players cannot understand this simple and basic morsel of knowledge goes to show how little some take to actually comprehend things.

The words BETA TEST represent exactly what those two words mean, yet the comprehension of those two words seem to have been lost on those who felt the need to get angry at the fact that while testing the game they had "issues".

So yes, in the end i feel that reading comprehension in todays world is at a low, and since i work in education, and so does my wife, i can honestly state that unless its under 255 character limit, they just won't get it.

I will again provide this information since those who have a hard time comprehending things probably won't bother looking up the meaning of it.

Beta Test-

A trial of machinery, software, or other products, in the final stages of its development, carried out by a party unconnected with its development.

(under 255 characters)

What a load of bollox! This is what was put in the newsletter they sent out :

The next Guild Wars 2

Beta Weekend Event is on

27-30 April 2012 and we

want you to join us!

The only way to guarantee an invitation to this three-day event is by pre-purchasing your copy of Guild Wars 2.

By pre-purchasing the Digital, Digital Deluxe, or Collector's Edition of Guild Wars 2 you'll play in the Beta Weekend Event, get three days of Headstart Access to the final game, and receive the exclusive Hero's Band

in-game item.

There is no doubt about how it is being worded. They use these BWE's to see prepurchase copies. If you can't see how they are creating unrealistic high expectations for their beta, then I don't know anymore.

I know that beta is beta and shit happens in beta. But the way Arenanet communicated these BWE's just raised extra expectations. I wasn't surprised at all at the outrage when they had so much trouble letting everyone log in.

If anything the ppl in their marketing department need a kick under their butt (from the devs, the financial guys probably love it).