Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm still not convinced by the Guild Wars 2 hype.

15678911»

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Originally posted by Betaguy

If I am over exposed, doesn't that lead back to the developers at the end of the day?

If "overexposed" means "they created a artificial world(s) at a price where you could live 24/7 if you wanted to" then yes, that very well may come to be considered a mistake.  On the other hand, it's also the basis of the hobby, and you can't have it both ways.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Originally posted by Icewhite

If I am over exposed, doesn't that lead back to the developers at the end of the day?

If "overexposed" means "they created a artificial world(s) at a price where you could live 24/7 if you wanted to" then yes, that very well may come to be considered a mistake.  On the other hand, it's also the basis of the hobby, and you can't have it both ways.

The better term in my mind is "Overuse" and once again the developers fault.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AbdarAbdar Member UncommonPosts: 400
    The hype will start to subside when all the people fooled into pre ordering just to play beta realize the game isn't anything better then what's out there now.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by Abdar

The hype will start to subside when all the people fooled into pre ordering just to play beta realize the game isn't anything better then what's out there now.

On the contrary. It was already playing the game and knowing it's far better than anything out there that convinced me to cough up for one CE and two Digi-Deluxe (for the kids).

But, now the hype is irrelevant. Now the facts will be fully laid on the table. Today the hype dies and reality sets in. It's going to be good. So good. image

Oderint, dum metuant.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by EatMyVeggies

This is not HYPE. People have played it. Independent game reviewers (not media sites)  said it is good and it lives up to its promises. HYPE is what you would say about the so called "titan" or the "elder scrolls mmo". No news whatsoever about them and already people are screaming like 12yo schoolgirls. 

I repeat: This is not hype, it's word of mouth, and it's a result of the game's very good reviews from seasoned people. If you are not well informed about the game, which the majority of you people who create this kind of crappy threads, do not go on a rant like "im still not convinced". It sounds very ignorant and you make a fool of yourself. 

That's like calling a tornado an air current

• LucioonLucioon Member UncommonPosts: 819

Originally posted by Abdar

Its either what you say coming true, or the HYPE Triples and another flood of players comes onto the forums asking when is the next BWE so they can experience it themselves.

Its a vicious cycle that hopefully GW2 is using to its advantage interms of marketing.

Everything depends on these last 30 minutes....then we will see won't we

Life is a Maze, so make sure you bring your GPS incase you get lost in it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The better term in my mind is "Overuse" and once again the developers fault.

You're right in a thoroughly depressing way.  The developers did create worlds that encourage users to overuse them.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

Hype is such a funny word. It holds so many different definitions and meanings depending on who you are:

Fanboy: It's not really 'hype', the developers are just telling us what's actually in the game with no ulterior motives.

Normal Person: Hype is a combination of in game features and marketing rhetoric to put the games best foot forward and attract customers.

Hater: Hype is all an outright lie that the development staff crams down your throat. It's completely dishonest and over used.

That being said, things can be over-hyped. GW2, for me, was right on the edge of that until a few weeks ago when I started getting slammed with email ad promotions from several different sources. The hype level has skyrocketed. Not that the info is bad, I'm just getting hit with it too often now, and would have to go out of my way to avoid it completely.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629
    I'm even less convinced by all the hype after watching a few streams >.>
  • SaalVekSaalVek Member Posts: 16
    I'd also enjoy an order of the tasty sausages, please!

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704
    I do agree with OP but I am still going to enjoy some GW2 when it is released :)  Compared to other copies of WoW, GW2 definitely does a lot 'more', but it still is just too cookie cutter to really stick with long term.  I hope Archeage and Planetside will come out soon so I don't have to play GW2 too long.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• wizyywizyy Member UncommonPosts: 629

Originally posted by wormywyrm

I do agree with OP but I am still going to enjoy some GW2 when it is released :)  Compared to other copies of WoW, GW2 definitely does a lot 'more', but it still is just too cookie cutter to really stick with long term.  I hope Archeage and Planetside will come out soon so I don't have to play GW2 too long.

Agreed completely, although about Planetside 2... more gameplay needs to be seen.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520

Why not just go play WoW then?

I mean seriously all you do is whine about how GW2 isnt WoW........

Soooooo just go play WoW

is this so hard?

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

Originally posted by wormywyrm

You say this is a copy of wow, outside of the fantasy theme, how so? Because it has races and classes? because there is no open world pvp?  because you can't build a house? 

Is zelda like god of war? they both have swords.  I can attack things.  Is final fantasy like dragon quest? I just want to knwo where this thinking is coming from.  

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I was on the fence myself but after reading the overwhelming positive feedback here and from my guild, I decided to take the plunge.

Plus, there's no monthly so how can you go wrong? image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    People...you are buying a game, not a house.  It is just a game!  It certainly does not warrant a 27 page thread to justify its hype.
  • PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

i'm going to throw this out there: i'm not hyped anymore. nor am i particularly excited for gw2. hype comes from thinking something is going to be the best thing since sliced bread. excitement comes from hype. (flame suit on) gw2 is not the best thing since sliced bread. it is however the best damn mmorpg to come out in a whole buncha years. so i'm not hyped anymore because i know that it met, and exceeded, my expectations. my excitement has switched to patience, waiting for release. i know it's gonna be great because it is great. anyone still hyping it up after the beta is an ass. we know what it's like now. stop inflating the truth.

and to your points in the op: 1: the media is hyping it just like they hype everything. ignore them. 2: if you don't like the art design, that's your business. i love it. it looks like a painting in motion. 3: the classes are fantastic. ... yeah. if you think they're bland and uniform, you're just wrong. it's not a matter of opinion on this one.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

funny how all these people HYPE THEMSELVES about every single game that comes out, despite the fact that all the information was freely available to suggest that all those past games were just the same old same old with a different skin.

and now we finally get a few games where its obvious, even before playing them that they are actually quite different, and yet these people can't distinguish the difference and act like all those differences don't matter, and its just another game (VERY WRONG in this case, and you SHOULD know better).

seems like just a simple matter of total lack of reading comprehension mixed with total lack of imagination to be able to understand what a described game could possibly be like in practice.

not a single MMO that has come out has thrown me for a loop and bowled me over in a good or bad way.  i read enough and can imagine well enough what it will be like to live with the forestated mechanics.

if you can't understand these things simply by reading about it...... you are a very......confused  and easily dazzled/rattled person.

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

It's not hype. Look up the meaning of the word for goodness' sake. I get so fed up with people using that word. It does not mean what you think it means.

Many more people have played the game now. They know what it's like. Obviously there were the typical beta problems (less than in other beta's I have been in), but people have a better grasp on the ideas in it.

We know what this game is about. You like it or you do not like it. That isn't hype. If you don't like it, please hush. You aren't going to change the concepts at this stage.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Hmm, i am just plain sick of feeling i need to defend the game anymore, it speaks for itself. Call video proof and previews by respected game bloggers/reviewers hype all you want but its there and as i said it speaks for itself. 

If you do not feel this game is not for you at this moment why in the world would you pre-purchase it ? 

Comes across as attention mongering, in hopes you could start a flame war and be the OP of it. I won't flame you or any others for feeling this way, you have every right to, but i will be flabbergasted at you for buying a game you seem to dislike so much.

I for one cannot wait for Friday April 27th 2012 @12:00pm PST.  Then i will know how justified i am in my view of Guild Wars 2 and ANet.

By the way, if it sucks as much as those who have posted in this thread claim it to, i promise to eat my words and come back here to state how wrong i was and how terrible it is. Course i really do nto see that happening because i already know how great it is beause of all the evidence i have witnessed.

Brought my salt and pepper and WOW no need for me to do that.

Course those haters will probably say that the game was terrible because it had bugs in its BETA TEST. 

I of course experienced a few of those bugs but then again i know what the words BETA TEST mean. Therefore the game was splendid and i cannot wait for the next BWE to begin.

Lolipops !