Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Beta Rage!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Over the course of this past weekend's first major Guild Wars 2 closed beta event, players were often faced with inexplicable error messages that, of necessity, resulted in BETA RAGE! Read more about what we think of this phenomenon and then weigh in with your own thoughts in the comments.

Unless you were hiding under a rock this past weekend, you probably heard about the login issues that were encountered for many users, including myself, during the Guild Wars 2 beta. The list of different error messages seemed to grow as the weekend began. As the errors appeared on player’s screens they reach for their pitchforks, and like a swarm of angry Grawl, they rushed into the official forums and Facebook page to post comments of rage. It was like the Mass Effect 3 ending debate all over again! The players argued that they had a right to play a clean running game, and that ArenaNet was robbing them of an exciting beta experience. Do these players have a right to be angry? Is it fine for their anger to be thrown towards issue that appeared in a beta?

Read more of David North's Guild Wars 2: Beta Rage!

Beta Rage!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

who cares- it was beta!- you guys are beginning to sound like FOXnews... write something positive about the game! so we can discuss.

..and no, i dont agree early bird gets the worm...or beta acess.

-newly GW2 Fanboy!

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

I still put my money on the majority of people not following instructions that were posted within an hour or two of beta launch

Cut off your firewalls, update "all drivers, video, sound" and make sure you're registered correctly. I have 3 accounts, 2 ran perfectly before the game began and 1 ran after.  I had problems, they were solved by doing this.  Considering i have had beta's where i had to make my own exe, this was great. 

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    So we're making an article on beta issues. This would probably be best suited on the ArenaNet beta forums so they can get the feedback. Thanks!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238

I had a great time during the beta. People who complain are just showing their inexperience in the beta process.

Vivik-Cerberus
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Geez, it is BETA.  You have a beta to get the bugs out!   If you don't like to find bugs, don't play a beta.

Cracks me up when people try to compare this with the TERA beta.  TERA has been running over in Korea for over a year already, they just localized it for western tastes.  The only problems the TERA BETA had were localization errors.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

This is what happens when you offer beta access via prepurchase or preorder. Nothing new here and I have no sympathy for companies being taken to task over it. Matter of fact I'm rather sick of people always laying the blame at the feet of the players and giving these companies a free pass. It's getting really old. You reap what you fucking sow. They want to market beta and use it to increase sales? This is what happens when some pay for the product and can't play or have serious issues. Beta or no.

Let 'em rage. They paid for the product. Like I'm supposed to have sympathy for Anet when they essentially had the majority pay to get access to their beta. Give me a break.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• glockjsglockjs Member UncommonPosts: 10

I didn't have any issues myself. Actually everything was pretty damn smooth for the first public beta event. Most of the rage I heard and read was from people that didn't understand that game and were trying to play the game like the old mmo's. Didn't go into the game with an open mind. Whoops.

But what you can take away from this article is what I already know. Anet is fast about fixing anything and does listen to its players. I've been a fan of more than the game for a long time now. 

Cheers.

Oh yeah and a side not..I'm running win 8 preview and loaded the game on an ssd and still had 0 issues.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

This is what happens when you offer beta access via prepurchase or preorder. Nothing new here and I have no sympathy for companies being taken to task over it. Matter of fact I'm rather sick of people always laying the blame at the feet of the players and giving these companies a free pass. It's getting really old. You reap what you fucking sow. They want to market beta and use it to increase sales? This is what happens when some pay for the product and can't play or have serious issues. Beta or no.

Let 'em rage. They paid for the product. Like I'm supposed to have sympathy for Anet when they essentially had the majority pay to get access to their beta. Give me a break.

While I actually enjoyed the beta, I fully support the quoted post.  As soon as you take people's money you had better expect to be judged.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• YellowbearddYellowbeardd Member UncommonPosts: 83
    Game is free to play after you buy the game for ever so quite crying and be happy a decent looking and playing mmo is free to play with no pay to win feature.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Originally posted by orbitxo

who cares- it was beta!- you guys are beginning to sound like FOXnews... write something positive about the game! so we can discuss.

-newly GW2 Fanboy!

Did you read the article? It's about how people need to take Beta into account and STOP raging.  ;)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107
    It was a Beta weekend event it may have been a beta but it was a selling tool for arena net and the reason 99.9% of us pre purchased their freaking product it should have been available for everyone who purchased it  yeah i know it was a beta but still it was a SELLING tool and a sad one for some of the people i for one didnt really have any issues.
  • sparpgsparpg Member Posts: 8

I only had one brief period of a few hours where I could not log in due to some issue with the asset servers.  I got up, did some work around the house, talked with my wife, played with my kids then logged back in and continued playing.

I'm not discounting the issues others experienced but I think it's important to show that there were a lot of other people who did not have major issues with the beta weekend.  Hopefully, our participation, whether positive or negative, helped them with their data gathering, optimization, etc.

I enjoyed playing the game, as I do most other games I try and play for a while, and am looking forward to future events and the release.

• WoW_RefugeeWoW_Refugee Member Posts: 80
    Fabulous column, and I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, you're dealing with the worst generation of spoiled, entitled, self-centered, childish gamers ever...so I doubt you'll create much (if any) consensus.
  • ammoniteammonite Member Posts: 113

Originally posted by micaelmorais

worst beta ever in memory.

It couldnt be worse...

I can only think you have never ever been in a real beta before; And if you think TERA was a real beta your barmy. That was localisation.

Originally posted by WoW_Refugee

Fabulous column, and I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, you're dealing with the worst generation of spoiled, entitled, self-centered, childish gamers ever...so I doubt you'll create much (if any) consensus.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Just like the article too.

Everything is at the feet of the players and companies can essentially do whatever they want. Fucking amazing really. Never in any other industry have I seen people so willing to defend companies regardless what they do or fail to do and be so willing to always blames their fellow customers.

No wonder so many of the mmos launch so fucked up. Why should they bother when you have a fan base that will defend them no matter what?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Geez, it is BETA.  You have a beta to get the bugs out!   If you don't like to find bugs, don't play a beta.

Cracks me up when people try to compare this with the TERA beta.  TERA has been running over in Korea for over a year already, they just localized it for western tastes.  The only problems the TERA BETA had were localization errors.

very true. It is an unfair comparison.

• adaneshadeadaneshade Member Posts: 36

I saw very few issues the entire beta, was actually commenting to friends on how little lag/fps issues existed in crowded areas (WvW battles) compared to other games even after they were released (see WAR, SWTOR, WOW[anyone else remember opting to not loot at all due to character being stuck on the ground for 10 minutes?])

Yes you paid for access to the BETA, but no one twisted your arm, that was a result of wanting to see it now...I'm guilty as well, but at least I can take a step back and realize I KNEW that I would see some bugs etc.....

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

While I actually enjoyed the beta, I fully support the quoted post.  As soon as you take people's money you had better expect to be judged.

Bullshit you paid for the game the Beta is a perk.  You could get the game for the same cost as everyone else now on launch day, ergo the beta access if not part of what you are paying for since the cost is no higher.

People should complain becuase that is how beta's work, complaints get filed some are ignored some are fixed.  But if people mix this entiltlement crap in then they should be ignored.  I had login issues on friday when i tried to login then i checked and saw the server i was trying to log into had heavy population.  I switched to one that was medium never had any lag or log in issues all weekend after that.

And to put it in perspective when i played Aion at launch I joined a medium pop server and there were only a couple of people in sight of my character.  When i joined GW2 medium server i ran 20 feet from a town and found a group of 50 players running into a cave for an event that I then joined.  There was never a 5 minute period all weekend where several people didnt run by me.

The moral is login issues go away if you stop being followers and dont log into the servers that are already at their maximum capacity.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by micaelmorais

worst beta ever in memory.

It couldnt be worse...

More like best beta TEST ever.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

They want to market beta and use it to increase sales?

your dilusional- this game dosent need all the hype it has already gotten. they dont need to sell a beta to increase any sales- as a matter of fact they are probably doin it for internal performance issues, and as some posts have already stated -dont play beta if you dislike disruptions -wait for offical release.

• Saxx0nSaxx0n PR/Brand Manager BitBox Ltd.Member UncommonPosts: 999

-newly GW2 Fanboy!

Heh sounded like the truth and was fair and balanced. Maybe this article will get stellar #1 ratings as FoxNews enjoys. ; )

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

-newly GW2 Fanboy!

My " Fair and Balanced " comments, " I report you Decide "

No problems at all, really enjoyed the beta.

" Charlie Mike "

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400
    While i agree that people need to calm down that it was a beta i also do not agree with the current model companies have of pre-purchase and get into beta.  People already paid for the game and beta's these days are not for testing they are a selling tool and stress tests thats about it.  Remember the days when beta testing meant you were given specific reporting instructions for bugs and a tool to do it.  Beta's these days are more advertising than testing.  While i agree that its not the final version of the game and people need to realize development is still taking place I have yet to see a game that made any really large changes due to a beta.  they mainly fix login issues call it good and release it then fix things after release.
  • keinohrkeinohr Member Posts: 60

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

Do it after the Closed Beta Weekend. According to the Blog post Arenanet were able to fix a lot of problems.

Even Frogster and EME had their problems in the Closed and Open Beta(!). Game-, Login-,Dungeon-Server were unavailable a couple times, monster were resetting during an encounter, the last Story-questline on Island of Dawn didn't work as intended, etc.. And Tera is an so called optimized one year old mmorpg.

Originally posted by adaneshade

I saw very few issues the entire beta, was actually commenting to friends on how little lag/fps issues existed in crowded areas (WvW battles) compared to other games even after they were released (see WAR, SWTOR, WOW[anyone else remember opting to not loot at all due to character being stuck on the ground for 10 minutes?])

Yes you paid for access to the BETA, but no one twisted your arm, that was a result of wanting to see it now...I'm guilty as well, but at least I can take a step back and realize I KNEW that I would see some bugs etc.....

So what is your point? You think people that had your experience are the ones raging? Really? Pretty sure it would be the ones that couldn't log in, account errors, etc.

Why is it so difficult for people to see past their own experience? And why does it seem gamers more than any other group seem to suffer the inability to do so?

...and for the record before someone chimes in. I didn't have any issues because I haven't bothered getting the game yet :P So I'm not raging myself or have any personal vendetta in the affair.