Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6950 for $200?

fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125

There's a promo on newegg right now where you can get a saphire radeon HD 6950 2gb for $200. Do you think its worth it or would I be better off getting a 7850? Will the 7850 also come down in price soon? I don't have any pressing need for a new graphics card right now and probably won't buy one until GW2 comes out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102987&Tpk=14-102-987&nm_mc=EMC-GD043012&cm_mmc=EMC-GD043012-_-index-_-Item-_-14-102-987

The promo code is EMCYTZT1523 btw. 

Comments

• ThorHalThorHal Member Posts: 89

Solid Card, using it since november last year, it ran everything on max up to GW2 where it kinda lost it. I guess its because of not finished optimization on the engine (or drivers). Was running in WvWvW with about 10-26 FPS (On low), thats in fights though. In PVE it ran (on max) with 45-60 FPS, always depending on how many people were around. I run it in combination with Phenom 2 X4 @3.4GHZ (stock) and GW2 was the only thing that I had FPS problems with.

Not a real answer to your question but a little insight on how it works with GW2.

• fayknaymfayknaym Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for the insight Thor. I'm also using a Phenom 2, a 960T at 3.0Ghz. I think you may be right about it not being optimized but still it was useful to hear you insight. Maybe it would be better to wait, even until after GW2 comes out to see what card I should get.
  • boikymarboikymar Member Posts: 60

GW2 is rumored to favor NVIDIA cards. If your temps are good enough and your PSU is a good 650W+ then you can grab a GTX 480 for $220 shipped via Amazon. The card just outperforms the $300 GTX 570, but it's also very demanding. I bought mine a couple weeks ago and have no regrets.

Edit: You're correct, GW2 isn't optimized. I imagine a 6870/560 or better should get you great fps on high settings.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    When ArenaNet says they're still optimizing things, there's plenty of time for how well various cards run a game to improve.  Remember how Final Fantasy XIV heavily favored Nvidia cards when they first released their benchmark, and then heavily favored AMD cards by the time the game actually launched?  And that was even though performance on Nvidia cards increased in that time.