Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's being called "The GW2 Effect".

Comments

• DkompozeDkompoze Member UncommonPosts: 245

Originally posted by mcburly

Mine is more of a dissapointment in how much I didnt enjoy myself in GW2 over the weekend. Just like every mmo, it has been overhyped and its another run of the mill mmo. Pass

So says the swtor fanboi. SWTOR was another run of the mill overhyped game. Passed

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

I followed and supported Rift pre beta, but once I played it I really didn't like it much.

I followed and supported SWtOR pre beta, but once I played it I really didn't like it much.

I followed and supported GW2 pre beta, but once I played it my enthusiasm was not only justified, it increased.

Make of that what you will.

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by lokiboard

Originally posted by Valkaern

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by lonewolf1980

My 2 brothers and i loved the game. it's ran great for us. No crashes only 1 chat bug out of 3 days, and relog fixes everythings. This game will be the game of the year. GW2 is the ONLY fun game in the market that not a wow's clone game, we'll be playing in the next beta ( soon, i hope ) with alot of friends. Hope to see u all in game.

ps: Why are there so many hate threads about gw2? is it cool to hate everythings? it's must be cool to hate life, gw2, air, foods.

Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image

If you honestly don't see what this game brings to the genre, you obviously have not played it. I'm not going to try to explain why you're wrong, it will be a wasted effort but needless to say, you are.

I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

That's all well and good, but I think many people are just glad to finally see those legos arranged in a new and creative way that's, for many, just all together fun for a change. We've been looking at the same lego structure for years (as well as sloppy lego structures that tried to imitate one particular structure). I've personally been jaded and disappointed with almost everything since EQ, so to actually have fun in an MMO after so long is very refreshing.

If curmudgeons need to hate on that they're more than welcome to, nothings for everyone. For me it's a relief to feel something other than disgust towards what MMOs have become, so I'm going to enjoy that while it lasts, whether it's just a few months or longer. I'm sure I'll be back on the other side of the fence at some point in the future (hopefully far in the future), and I'm sure that when I am I'll miss the feeling of actually enjoting something, so I might as well make the most of this while it lasts. :) 

Also, anyone who's expecting more than just 'Legos arranged differently', might be looking in the wrong place. Like scenes in movie or words in a book, there are only so many way's to interact with and arrange a video game. Yet we're all completely aware that there are still GOOD books (even after centuries of arrangement) and bad books, GOOD films and bad films, depending on taste. 

I'm not going to say a book was bad because it just had rearranged words in it, that'd be naive. And likewise it'd be foolish to draw the same comparison with games.

Good points...I like to use analogies....Here is another one....Quit trying to sell buckets of poop to sanitation workers....

Now, before the flaming arrows are launched , did anyone else get tired of the Pavlovian Dog-like awards constantly popping up in the corner of the screen telling them they just finished the same area quest that they had finished umpteen times before?.......I swear I could see a picture in my mind of kids in a trance, running arround being conditioned by all the shiny medal giving / positive opperant conditioning, to salivate everytime they see the letter GW2 flashed in front of them...Did the mere mention of a shiny cyber HERO medals popping up in the corner of your screen make you salivate?image  Just some observations, a little critical thinking I believe....I could be wrong. 

I'm not a fan of achievements, they've always smacked of a cheap substitute for real content: 'Oh you beat that boss? Now try it while hopping on one foot LOL!'. No thanks. If they serve some purpose in GW2 that's all well and good, but generally they're easily ignorable and seemed to primarily be a means of informing you how much of an area you'd completed. Watching friends that had once been proud EQ players scuttle around in WoW trying to complete silly and arbitrary 'achievements' was nauseating. I much more appreciated completing 'achievements' that we'd set for ourselves (completing older raid content with just 6 people for example). That actually had some meaning to me at least.

I could be wrong, maybe in GW2 they serve some purpose beyond a means of gauging your progression in an area or as cheesey bragging rights, but I found them to be totally ignorable.

It'd be nice if I was wrong though, and it turned out they do serve some more utilitarian purpose I'm unaware of, but I have a feeling they're just as you described. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and there's more to the system though.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

I was hesitant to post in this thread, but then I just logged into aion and realized what the flip am I doing T_T.

EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF YEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW GW2

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601
    "The GW2 Effect"? You mean that explosive urge I have in my bowels is called the GW2 Effect?  Thanks for pointing that out...
  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

I'm not a fan of achievements, they've always smacked of a cheap substitute for real content: 'Oh you beat that boss? Now try it while hopping on one foot LOL!'. No thanks. If they serve some purpose in GW2 that's all well and good, but generally they're easily ignorable and seemed to primarily be a means of informing you how much of an area you'd completed. Watching friends that had once been proud EQ players scuttle around in WoW trying to complete silly and arbitrary 'achievements' was nauseating. I much more appreciated completing 'achievements' that we'd set for ourselves (completing older raid content with just 6 people for example). That actually had some meaning to me at least.

I could be wrong, maybe in GW2 they serve some purpose beyond a means of gauging your progression in an area or as cheesey bragging rights, but I found them to be totally ignorable.

It'd be nice if I was wrong though, and it turned out they do serve some more utilitarian purpose I'm unaware of, but I have a feeling they're just as you described. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong and there's more to the system though.

Achievements are not forced on you, GW 2 has been created to appeal to different players, Achievements and bragging rights have appeared in most mmo's. Some people like them some people dont take much notice of them, some mmo's do them differently to others. 

You want to explore then it has probably the best any mmo can offer for exploration. 

You prefer the crafting game, then it has that.  

You want to PvP then there is plenty of that for you either for hardcore or casual.

You want to play the markets, then you got every server to play with from your character from anywhere you stand in the world. 

You want to do hard content, explorable dungeons and epic DE's are there to be challenged.

There really is not one thing you can do in another mmo that cant be done in GW2.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by Volkon

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

I wouldn't really call it "GW2 Effect" for myself. I've been in a personal lull in my MMO'ing for some time now. EVE online has been my one constant, but not having to log in to advance there doesn't hurt either. EVE is still one the games I'll still be playing in some fashion.

Before I'd call it the GW2 effect now that I think about it I could / would much rather call it the SWTOR effect, because anything that gives me the same warning signs as that game is something I want to stay away from. I'm not going through that one again; sorry image

I'll give GW2 this. I really wasn't one of those people who've been hyping this game the last 6 montsh lets say. I really didn't have much to say on it until this BWE. I just knew how I was feeling after SWTOR and just wanted to get away from that game. The games I've been waiting for really are TSW and Planetside 2, WoD if it ever comes out.

I just been playing a bunch of different things really, SC2 here DDO there. Even tried to get back to Rift for a while, just a real lull. I didn't think I would like what GW2 had like I did; it wasn't completely new but it was different and done well..

I wonder what 300 Million would've done for these guys.. image

/shrug

Absolute POURA! Corrupts Absolutely image

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

I played it and saw nothing new that hasn't been done in GW1 or other games......You can mix the leggos into different patterns all you like and delude yourself into thinking you have something new, but all you really have is leggos.....  Play more games and you'll see......

Yeah, universe is same ol, same ol since its just bunch of atoms put together.

I mean, when you meat 1 human, youve met em all..since theyre all just bunch of atoms put toghther :)

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    You're right, I couldn't log into WoW all day after that amazing weekend.  I miss the centaurs already.
  • EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286
    The game felt like playing an Elder Scrolls game, but online.   It's basically almost everything I've ever wanted in an MMO.  
  • illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

*shrug* ...   I spent a good part of today playing GW1.

Still feels fun to me.   And I only tried to dodge-roll once, and only hit "F" to pick up loot 3 times.

I'm looking forward to the next BWE of course, but I'm pretty happy with what I've still got.

As to the OP:  what's wrong with TF2?  ...maybe it's just the servers you play on?

• SIRKRASIRKRA Member UncommonPosts: 66
    the AMAZING art and lascapes, the chit chatting of citizens like a full breathing world, the feel like being grouped with everyone even if you not really was and all helping each other, the no levelling grind, all so unforgivable, when beta started i already know was ending like this: "a heart great collapse"
  • vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

I agree that this weekend was a blast!   Thanks to DeaconX and the site for the guild.  I do disagree about playing other mmo's though.  They are still fun to me, but I do crave more GW2!

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

The block feature on this website is awesome. After growing more and more frustrated by the anti-GW2 Tera and SWTOR fans, I just started blocking everyone who bashes the game without any sort of constructive criticism at all, makes this message board that much better.

I don't mind people who don't like the game, but if you just want to bash those who do, I'm done with you forever.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Dredphyre

"The GW2 Effect"? You mean that explosive urge I have in my bowels is called the GW2 Effect?  Thanks for pointing that out...

Actually that's the troll effect, where you have the explosive urge in your bowels to empty them through your mouth.

To the OP, for my part, I'll be playing Firefall until next BWE.

• xholyaccxholyacc Member Posts: 57
    i've been never more than 4 hours playing an mmorpg wihout getting bored and forced to grind. but gw 2 had pulled the miracle. i mainly play moba games ( LoL, and DotA with friends). the best thing for me is you dont need much to get to a high level to epicly fight a boss, i hope they increase the difficulty so we must cordinated in higher lvl world boss
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Originally posted by iller

*shrug* ...   I spent a good part of today playing GW1.

Still feels fun to me.   And I only tried to dodge-roll once, and only hit "F" to pick up loot 3 times.

I'm looking forward to the next BWE of course, but I'm pretty happy with what I've still got.

As to the OP:  what's wrong with TF2?  ...maybe it's just the servers you play on?

Bah, nothing's wrong with TF2, I enjoy that quite a bit. Just after GW2, I really didn't feel like playing not-GW2. After I tried to (and failed to) dodge-roll in TF2 I simply exited.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Originally posted by Volkon

I've fallen victim to it, on the official forums a good many others have... the sudden lack of desire to play any other MMOs altogether. I noticed this before most others for reasons that may or may not be still under NDA, I'm not sure, but it resulted in the cancellation of three Eve Online accounts and prior to that a WoW account. Without a doubt, the world to me is so much more alive, the system so much more immersive, the combat so much more enthralling (I tried to double-tap dodge in TF2 earlier today) that other games, even TF2 just now, fall flat.

So... how you doin'?

"The GW2 Effect" eh?

Interestingly, only a little while back, you could have called it the "TOR Effect", because people were saying exactly the same thing about that game. "TOR has ruined other MMOs for me", "I can never play another MMO", "I've canceled my other MMO accounts", etc. etc.

People said the same thing about Rift. They said the same thing about Warhammer, AoC, and so on.

Note that the brunt of these remarks were made during Beta when access was limited and there wasn't really enough time to fully dig into the respective game.

I've always called it "The Honeymoon Period". Where the game is brand-new, you're still becoming familiar with it and everything is new and wonderful and mysterious. This is especially enhanced by the idea that you can only experience limited chunks at a time.

When the games launched and people were able to play continuously, the new became old, the mysterious became familiar, the cracks become apparent in veneer, and you started to see that enthusiasm taper off until, for many, the Honeymoon was over and the MMO in question was no longer "the only MMO they could ever play again". It became just another MMO.

So, it hardly seems appropriate to grant "ownership" of such a phenomenon to GW2, considering it's happened with other MMOs before it.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Originally posted by atziluth

Its to counter punch the nauseating fanboi posts from the GW2 sales reps here going overboard....The Game is nothing NEW......Face it.....There are only so many ways the keyboard/mouse/controller can be utilized in a 2d/3d computer game...Other then jacking in (Strange Days ref.) Its going to be more of the same old same old.....I predict that sometime in the near future you people will realize this and be less inclined to jump on the bandwagons you hitch yourselves to.  Don't worry, like women(or men for the ladies on here) , another one will be around shortly.......image The pattern will repeat and?

What is the point of your response? It contributes nothing. If you have no interest in the game and get nauseated by people posting positive reactions in the GW2 general forum... simply move on. 

It's the home page, it's pulling in the trolls that are unhappy they're not seeing their game on it.

imageimage
  • illorionillorion Member Posts: 467
    Now that the beta is over I am left with a sensation that is similar to when you accidentally slip out of the vagina when you are about to "finish".... all I can think about is getting back in there

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363

I had fun.

I hope there aren't going to be too many more beta's.I would like to try the couple classes I missed, but I will be staying in the newb zones for any more Beta's and only leveling to 7 so I can weapon swap in WvW.

I'd rather dig in for real, but I see GW2 does require a bit more time in the oven.

I like the fact that I had to stop look and listen. I had to stop and slow down and learn something.Even after watching video's and having an idea of what to expect, I still had a shock like a slap in the face once  I started playing.

I could not just do the same thing I did in every other MMO, when I tried that I found myself on my back.

I still have a lot to learn, I could only play like 15 hours all weekend, but I am really looking forward to digging in and learning everything GW2 has to teach me.

First thing I learned?

When you see a pack of red npc's coming your way in an event, don't be the last one to GTFO of the way. Even if you have heavy armor.

Other games haven't been "ruined" for me though. I just see other games playtime getting a large hit soon.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

Originally posted by TangentPoint

So, it hardly seems appropriate to grant "ownership" of such a phenomenon to GW2, considering it's happened with other MMOs before it.

Nah, it's appropriate because no game has ever been this good... except for maybe the original Fallout or Quake.

ToR, Rift, War, AoC, Tera... none of those pulled me in like GW2 has.

GW2 is fun from the start. GW2 doesn't have to be played any one particular way to be enjoyed... it can be a themepark or sandbox, it can be soloed or done with a zerg, you can PvP or PvE, you can play 24 hours a day or 1hour a month... there's nothing in GW2 forcing anyone to do anything they don't want to do in order to get to the parts that they do enjoy. GW2 will make it easy for friends to get together and enjoy the game no matter how much they play or what they like to do.

It's absurd to worry about whether or not we're going to like this game in 5 years. It's a game. All games get old... but for now and the near future GW2 is very promising. Think of all the stuff we haven't even seen yet. Most people who prepurchased for beta have explored about 5% of GW2's world, have not done any dungeons, and have not even began to scratch the surface of what the game has to offer... and then there will be expansions to offer up even more.

This is completely different from another recent release where I absolutely hated the game's combat and WoW style questing system right from the get-go. I had seen very little and didn't want to see more. Where's the honeymoon?

GW2 is the savior of this rapidly declining genre filled with WoW clones. Hallelujah, and praise ANet! image

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Another part of the GW2 Effect seems to be stirring up the crankies over here on the forums.  I just went through this thread and blocked every Negative Nelly and discovered, much to my surprise, that it created a list of the same names that have done this in every GW2 thread in existence.  Crazy.  I'm not sure why it is people feel so much better about themselves if they can try to make someone else feel bad, but apparently they do.

GW2 Effect for me is in full swing.  Yes, we realize it is not ONLY GW2 that has this effect, nonetheless, for some of us, GW2 has had this effect.  I have Diablo 3 on pre-order at Gamestop, and I don't know now.  I'm not sure that it isn't going to feel unsatisfying.  It just feels like anything short of GW2 would leave me a bit lacking. /shrug

Originally posted by SuperDonk

The block feature on this website is awesome. After growing more and more frustrated by the anti-GW2 Tera and SWTOR fans, I just started blocking everyone who bashes the game without any sort of constructive criticism at all, makes this message board that much better.

I don't mind people who don't like the game, but if you just want to bash those who do, I'm done with you forever.

WOW....I had the exact same idea.  I thought it would make the forums more pleasant.  I'm not blocking people who just share differing opinions in an objective way.  In other words, I don't want the whole forum to agree with me, but....I'm blocking the people who are outright nasty and rude.  It's improved this thread a lot.  I expect it will make my time on the forums much more pleasant.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

As beta wrapped up, I was thinking .. "How sad it must be, right now, to be in the MMOG production industry, and NOT be working at Arenanet on GW2".

At least as a player, I can just set aside other games and focus on GW2; if I worked in the industry, even at review and info sites like this or Massively, I'd  have to at least act like all other games haven't been facerolled by GW2, and continue working on my game, or playing and reviewing and reporting on the non-GW2 dregs.

IMO, sorta like working on some other sci-fi special effects movie when Avatar came out.  "Gee, thanks avatar, my movie looks like crap now."

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I feel like I did after the first time I beta'd TOR, which kind of has me worried because I had 4-6 weeks of a great time with TOR before all the problems and fatigue from their poorly designed systems really started grinding on me and made me lose interest in the game.

At the same time, things I didn't like about TOR after a few weeks are not at all present in GW2, and I also feel GW2 has most of the "good" things I really like in a MMORPG so I'm hopeful after the "honeymoon" period ends for me that I will continue to play and enjoy GW2.

As with most games for me, it's all about if my friends/guildies continue playing as well.

In TOR, everyone was gone after the first month so it was really hard to continue to log in even though there were some things about the game I still enjoyed.

I hope they all love GW2 and continue playing, as that is usually my #1 motivator to play a game for any length of time.