Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is AoC EU dead?

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Before I spend hours downloading the massive game, I just want to know. Is the game dead or fairy active?

and does RP still exist on the EU servers?

Comments

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

It you go for Crom, there are lots of players, you might not find groups for lower level dungeons though. It's not imposible, just hard. The population on Crom is equal to any single server in WoW or Rift, probably around 10k players total.

• SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Thankies for the reply ^-^

Also! The game hasen't turned into a pay to win game since going f2p, has it?

• paul43paul43 Member UncommonPosts: 198

There are some things that will boost you in itemshop, for example lower level epic armor, those items dosent drop ingame, but at 80 dungeon/raid gear is much better than that found in Itemshop. You have to subscribe to be able to pvp at 80(Gear/AA). But dont need anything from itemshop, but you can buy pvp lvl 5 armor from itemshop, but you can also earn that armor ingame.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Sarariel

Thankies for the reply ^-^

Also! The game hasen't turned into a pay to win game since going f2p, has it?

There is no P2Wness in the shop what so ever. they have some stuff you can buy to funk up you stats and looks below level 20, but beyond that you are on your own. The cash shop has mostly convenience items such as traveloptions (caravans and secret paths, +10% XP potions, Swift horse, etc etc..)

It's all good. I also play EU. We have a huge guild on our server (doing hard mode Khitai dungeons as well as House of Crom...hard as fck, but love the challange. I bet you that HoC is the most epic dungeon you have ever seen. Fantastic work).

The Ultimate Breakdown

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

The cash shop has mostly convenience items such

... such as epic pvp gear...

Sorry, but my God if WOW sold epic gear in an item shop there would be a revolution.... Heck, Blizzard gets slammed for selling cosmetic pets and mounts...

If epic PVP gear doesn´t count as pay2win.. what does?  Sure, every player can get that gear without buying..  after months of grinding for it.

Cashshop gear should NEVER have stats on it.  NEVER.  If your character becomes instantly more powerful by spending real money.. that is the definition of pay2win.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Originally posted by Azrile

The cash shop has mostly convenience items such

... such as epic pvp gear...

Sorry, but my God if WOW sold epic gear in an item shop there would be a revolution.... Heck, Blizzard gets slammed for selling cosmetic pets and mounts...

If epic PVP gear doesn´t count as pay2win.. what does?  Sure, every player can get that gear without buying..  after months of grinding for it.

Cashshop gear should NEVER have stats on it.  NEVER.  If your character becomes instantly more powerful by spending real money.. that is the definition of pay2win.

Nonplayer.. what are you talking about??  Have you been reading a forum again and now posting second hand knowledge?

Makes me smile when a game is for free and still you talk about something that you obviously have not tested. let me know if you need a guild.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• lorenna5lorenna5 Member Posts: 4

Regarding: pay2win model

Hello, I registered on these forums after reading this comment. Though I have spent a good amount of time lurking around the place.

I decided to register because I felt I needed to address the above comment, in part because of the misconceptions that the poster as raised regarding the game.

I have played AOC since launch, and I have seen some pretty big changes over the last couple of years, some good and some not so good.

Firstly,  the above comment addresses the buy2win model, which I assume he meant since he was talking about buying the pvp gear.

What you need to understand regarding the pvp gear in the shop, is that in no way whatso ever is it going to give anyone an edge for wearing it..I am unsure why you made this claim because it's so blantanly not true.

The cash shop as you so call it, is there for mini micro transactions, such as paying for content and subscriptions and other nick nacks.  I have yet to see since the launch of the freemium model anything remotely coming close to game breaking regarding pvp, and i've been playing since beta of hyboria adventures.

I might be some what sheltered because I pay to play (subscribe as i've always done), but the point of the shop is not designed to cripple the game in favour of people buying the best gear.

It would be complete suicide by Funcom to do such a thing, and with many paying subscribers still playing, I know we would have seen well before now, any serious or even slight knock on effect from the game store, and you know, I have not seen a single thing that points to me, saying "game breaking items for sale in the store" and neither of any of my friends either..it would be as I mentioned corporate suicide for funcom to do something as idiotic as that.

The point of the store for free players is to buy things to help turn your account into something approaching that of a subscription model, without having to pay monthly, it's not there to break the game as you mentioned.

In no way I am saying the above poster is ignorant, but the above post is that of a very ignorant commentator, where ever it originally came from, because there is absolutely no foundation of any grain of truth in the above poster's comment.

I fail to even see, why someone would tak an item out of context and then place it up for review by claiming it to be game breaking, when in actual fact you can get so much better,  imo the gear that can be bought is a waste of your money..and if you are at cap level then why do you need to buy it in the first place when it won't really help you..its like buying green gear and claiming it to be epic such is yhr scale in difference between the store bought gear and  ingame found gear.

The original commentator sounds like he as never played this game at any type of level beyond level 30/40 because then the commentator would realize that the statement made was not true in the slightest.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I'm playing on Fury myself. While my huge guild seems to have disbanded while I took a break for a month I still see plenty of people in town.

About that p2w...

I got ganked so often that I got tempted to buy epic armor for my char at some point. In the end I didn't though.. with or without good gear.. I just fail at pvp.

Let's hope gw2 will cure me from that weakness.

Harbinger of Fools
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Originally posted by lorenna5

Regarding: pay2win model

Hello, I registered on these forums after reading this comment. Though I have spent a good amount of time lurking around the place.

I decided to register because I felt I needed to address the above comment, in part because of the misconceptions that the poster as raised regarding the game.

I have played AOC since launch, and I have seen some pretty big changes over the last couple of years, some good and some not so good.

Firstly,  the above comment addresses the buy2win model, which I assume he meant since he was talking about buying the pvp gear.

What you need to understand regarding the pvp gear in the shop, is that in no way whatso ever is it going to give anyone an edge for wearing it..I am unsure why you made this claim because it's so blantanly not true.

The cash shop as you so call it, is there for mini micro transactions, such as paying for content and subscriptions and other nick nacks.  I have yet to see since the launch of the freemium model anything remotely coming close to game breaking regarding pvp, and i've been playing since beta of hyboria adventures.

I might be some what sheltered because I pay to play (subscribe as i've always done), but the point of the shop is not designed to cripple the game in favour of people buying the best gear.

It would be complete suicide by Funcom to do such a thing, and with many paying subscribers still playing, I know we would have seen well before now, any serious or even slight knock on effect from the game store, and you know, I have not seen a single thing that points to me, saying "game breaking items for sale in the store" and neither of any of my friends either..it would be as I mentioned corporate suicide for funcom to do something as idiotic as that.

The point of the store for free players is to buy things to help turn your account into something approaching that of a subscription model, without having to pay monthly, it's not there to break the game as you mentioned.

In no way I am saying the above poster is ignorant, but the above post is that of a very ignorant commentator, where ever it originally came from, because there is absolutely no foundation of any grain of truth in the above poster's comment.

I fail to even see, why someone would tak an item out of context and then place it up for review by claiming it to be game breaking, when in actual fact you can get so much better,  imo the gear that can be bought is a waste of your money..and if you are at cap level then why do you need to buy it in the first place when it won't really help you..its like buying green gear and claiming it to be epic such is yhr scale in difference between the store bought gear and  ingame found gear.

The original commentator sounds like he as never played this game at any type of level beyond level 30/40 because then the commentator would realize that the statement made was not true in the slightest.

Of course it isn´t ´ pay2win ´ in the pure sense of the term.  You do not buy a button that kills all players when you press it.   But what most people agree to is that if you are buying cosmetic things it is one thing.. but if you are buying gear with stats, it is ´pay2win´...   You are spending real money to increase the attack power of your character.

Ok, so answer me this.  If I level to cap and have just normal questing gear...  Could I then go and buy gear from the cashshop to make myself stronger?  You betcha...  In most definitions.. that is what we call ´pay2win´...  

As an opposite example.. In WOW,  I can buy vanity mounts or vanity pets..  These items look cool, but if I buy them, it does not make my character any stronger while fighting other players.

Items with stats = pay 2 win

• BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398
    I've bought a lot of stuff in AoC's ingame store, but I still lose. There is no way this game is PTW. I want my money back :p

Ok, so answer me this.  If I level to cap and have just normal questing gear...  Could I then go and buy gear from the cashshop to make myself stronger?  You betcha...  In most definitions.. that is what we call ´pay2win´...  

Sigh... You have not played this game, have you....

There is no way Ifor me to predict  what kind of gear you got by the time you're lvl 80, but at that time you'll find out that the REAL game is about to begin. You'll be way too busy playing the expansion and raiding to even notice the ingame shop. 

If you rushed to lvl 80, or got powerleveled or something, sure, you could pay an outrageoug price for better lvl 80 gear, but then you'd have to throw it away one week later when you got better gear ingame. That would be nice, because you would pay for the further development of the game and NOBODY would mind.

• tarestares Member Posts: 381

Originally posted by Bjelar

There is no way Ifor me to predict  what kind of gear you got by the time you're lvl 80, but at that time you'll find out that the REAL game is about to begin. You'll be way too busy playing the expansion and raiding to even notice the ingame shop. 

If you rushed to lvl 80, or got powerleveled or something, sure, you could pay an outrageoug price for better lvl 80 gear, but then you'd have to throw it away one week later when you got better gear ingame. That would be nice, because you would pay for the further development of the game and NOBODY would mind.

Anyone who plays knows the gear in the item shop is way better than anything an average player will be rocking for months after level 80.  Didn't that kill both hardcore PvP servers? I signed in yesterday and there were only 2 level 80s on the deathwish server.

The tier 5 PvP is better or as good as tier 3 raid gear for PvP, so I doub't if you did every quest in the game and took your time you would be rocking tier 3 raid gear on day 1 of 80.  Remember Most north american guilds can't do Tier 3 and none go past that so stat wise you are golden for PvP as it can compete with any other set (upgrades past tier 1 are marginal).

Have you played the expansion?   To get the gear equivalent of rank 5 PvP will take a pure month of grinding, PvP or way longer if you do the raiding route.  Not sure if the daily grind quests are anywhere near as good but they shouldn't be and will take a very long time anyway.

We know age of conan spend tons of money in the cash shop as it doubles revenues from subscriptions.  Don't be defensive,players buy PvP gear when you hit level 80 if they want to PvP to save a months of grinding because to the contrary the endgame is not all that, it is very repetitive.  I wonder how AoC is doing in korea as they they like cash shops and grinds.  Most people leave before or at endgame so it only matters to the few remaining Age of Conan players.

Here is an example, http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory.php?s=14;24;17;20;16

Barb helm, epic, level 5 PvP requirement waived if you buy it from item shop.

451 armor, +96 pvp armor

50 str

60 con

100 combat rating

100 pvp combat rating

40 crit

25 pvp hit

184 pvp protection

Originally posted by tares

Originally posted by Bjelar

Anyone who plays knows the gear in the item shop is way better than anything an average player will be rocking for months after level 80.  Didn't that kill both hardcore PvP servers? I signed in yesterday and there were only 2 level 80s on the deathwish server.

The tier 5 PvP is better or as good as tier 3 raid gear for PvP, so I doub't if you did every quest in the game and took your time you would be rocking tier 3 raid gear on day 1 of 80.  Remember Most north american guilds can't do Tier 3 and none go past that so stat wise you are golden for PvP as it can compete with any other set (upgrades past tier 1 are marginal).

Have you played the expansion?   To get the gear equivalent of rank 5 PvP will take a pure month of grinding, PvP or way longer if you do the raiding route.  Not sure if the daily grind quests are anywhere near as good but they shouldn't be and will take a very long time anyway.

We know age of conan spend tons of money in the cash shop as it doubles revenues from subscriptions.  Don't be defensive,players buy PvP gear when you hit level 80 if they want to PvP to save a months of grinding because to the contrary the endgame is not all that, it is very repetitive.  I wonder how AoC is doing in korea as they they like cash shops and grinds.  Most people leave before or at endgame so it only matters to the few remaining Age of Conan players.

Here is an example, http://aoc.is-better-than.tv/armory.php?s=14;24;17;20;16

Barb helm, epic, level 5 PvP requirement waived if you buy it from item shop.

451 armor, +96 pvp armor

50 str

60 con

100 combat rating

100 pvp combat rating

40 crit

25 pvp hit

184 pvp protection

Oh, sorry you were talking pvp. I don't do pvp much, since I tend to play mmos for the fun. In my experience pvpers play FPS, not MMOs unless they are intellectually underdeveloped 40 year olds still living in their mother's basement.  It's all very sad.

All I can say is that PvPers practically BEG (if hurtling profanitites can be called begging) to get a more leveled playing field gear wise. The gear is obtainable ingame, CS is shortcut. Many pvpers would dance with joy (now there's a picture for you) if more players would get hold of at least mediocre pvp gear to level the playing field a bit.

The pvpers themselves actually complaint very little -if at all- about the CS, and pvpers will complaint about absolutely anything.