Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hater turned Lover

Let me start off by saying I was a huuuge fan of Guild Wars 1, BUT I refused to believe the hype about this game due to the simple fact that 99% of the time it's just flat out not true.. So even though my heart has always been with Guild wars, I refuse to allow a bias to shield my vision. I had been looking forward to guild wars 2 for several years now, but honestly have been having quite a lot of fun with Rift here lately, so I wasn't too worried in it was great or not. I pre ordered the game like many others and curiously awaited the beta testing for this weekend. At first glance..I really wasn't too sure. The character creation seemed a bit bland and somewhat korean to my liking, though the story intros were quite amazing. I truly had goosebumps watching the human story unveil. Then entering the game I was pleased to see the amount of player interaction in fights...thought once in the main city...it was all too confusing and a lack of direction made me uncomfortable. This game is not guild wars 1 at all, but it's also not WoW or Rift.. I couldnt' figure out if I loved it or simply hated it. I was quite confused on what to do and where to go, so I walked away for nearly the whole weekend. I went back to playing Rift, thinking "meh". Though I couldnt'' just give up all hope right then and there, so I jumped back on saturday night and gave it another shot. I soon started to understand how the system worked and realized just how ingenious everything was. The combat is fun and skillful, the world is beautifully crafted and the art design stunning. The questing system was well thought out and actually interesting. The way people actually work together to complete goals was so....fun! For once, I had epic moments in just the first few levels. For once I fought giant battles against hundreds of others in World vs World holding our castle for hours on end shooting cannons and arrows down at the enemies while they relentlessly tried to breach our gates with rams and weaponry. This game is one word: EPIC.    It is extremely fun and the combat is amazing. I will admit, some classes....I just did not have much fun with. Such as the warrior and guardian. I just had so much more fun shooting guns as an engineer or firing down meteors as an elementalist, but to each their own. Honestly...for a while there I was agreeing with so many people on the utter dissappointment that this game seemed to be, but after giving it more time....I found a game that is truly the next generation of mmorpg's. For once, the company did not lie. This is trully everything I wanted it to be and possibly more.

Comments

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Just a suggestion.  Format that block of text with some paragraphs.  Makes it easier to read.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by observer

Just a suggestion.  Format that block of text with some paragraphs.  Makes it easier to read.

looks like mobile chat. notice the extra spacing.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Ha yeah it wasn't mobile. I'm just terrible at formatting on here :P
  • pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494
    If you truly "hated" the game then you wouldn't have prepurchased. I call shenanigans.
  • VepgenusVepgenus Member Posts: 398

Originally posted by Nunez1212

Let me start off by saying I was a huuuge fan of Guild Wars 1, BUT I refused to believe the hype about this game due to the simple fact that 99% of the time it's just flat out not true.. So even though my heart has always been with Guild wars, I refuse to allow a bias to shield my vision. I had been looking forward to guild wars 2 for several years now, but honestly have been having quite a lot of fun with Rift here lately, so I wasn't too worried in it was great or not. I pre ordered the game like many others and curiously awaited the beta testing for this weekend. At first glance..I really wasn't too sure. The character creation seemed a bit bland and somewhat korean to my liking, though the story intros were quite amazing. I truly had goosebumps watching the human story unveil. Then entering the game I was pleased to see the amount of player interaction in fights...thought once in the main city...it was all too confusing and a lack of direction made me uncomfortable. This game is not guild wars 1 at all, but it's also not WoW or Rift.. I couldnt' figure out if I loved it or simply hated it. I was quite confused on what to do and where to go, so I walked away for nearly the whole weekend. I went back to playing Rift, thinking "meh". Though I couldnt'' just give up all hope right then and there, so I jumped back on saturday night and gave it another shot. I soon started to understand how the system worked and realized just how ingenious everything was. The combat is fun and skillful, the world is beautifully crafted and the art design stunning. The questing system was well thought out and actually interesting. The way people actually work together to complete goals was so....fun! For once, I had epic moments in just the first few levels. For once I fought giant battles against hundreds of others in World vs World holding our castle for hours on end shooting cannons and arrows down at the enemies while they relentlessly tried to breach our gates with rams and weaponry. This game is one word: EPIC.    It is extremely fun and the combat is amazing. I will admit, some classes....I just did not have much fun with. Such as the warrior and guardian. I just had so much more fun shooting guns as an engineer or firing down meteors as an elementalist, but to each their own. Honestly...for a while there I was agreeing with so many people on the utter dissappointment that this game seemed to be, but after giving it more time....I found a game that is truly the next generation of mmorpg's. For once, the company did not lie. This is trully everything I wanted it to be and possibly more.

What is the power level of this wall of text.

It's over 9000!!!!!!!