Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone know where I can have the number of players playing each of the most popular MMORPGs?

I was just wondering if some website of MMORPG would show the number of players playing each MMORPG?
I would like to know witch is the most popylar and how  UO is going.. and TSO too , OH AND SW Galaxies too!!
I'm really really really curious about that :
Thanks

Comments

• Odin1985Odin1985 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 342
    well i know tibia has the number of online player in the site but the others no idea

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man´s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man?s character give him power"
    -Abraham Lincoln

Coder, Webmaster and Modeler

• SatansDiscipleSatansDisciple Member Posts: 2,782

alot of games have that, usually just at the site, sometimes on the server chooser.

"This is the beginning of a new day. You have been given this day to use as you will. You can waste it or use it for good. What you do today is important because you are exchanging a day of your life for it. When tomorrow comes, this day will be gone forever; in its place is something that you have left behind...let it be something good."
    - Unknown Author

--------------------------------------

• DerwoodDerwood Member Posts: 25

I have seen a post, I think it was on this website.  It went something like this:

EQ= Lots, Lots, Lots more.

DAoC= 2nd place about half what EQ's base is, but shrinking.

StarWarsGalaxes= More than most and climbing fast, real fast.

UO= it was first but its membership was never that high, and it is shrinking. 

AC, ACII, AO, and a bunch of others= strugling to stay alive.

Please don't take this as plug for EQ.  The game is matured now and it shows its age. As soon as a GOOD new MMORPG comes out I am sure its numbes will fall.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

There was some data published a few months ago.There was a post on it somewhere here too in this forum.It listed number of active subscribers.

EQ- was nearly 450,000

DAoC- nearly 250,000

UO- nearly 200,000

AO- about 80,000

This was pre SWG release.So the numbers are probably less for most of this games now.An estimate said SWG currently has 400,000 plus active subscribers.

Would like to see firgures for shadowbane and AC2 but would say it will for sure be below 50,000 mark.

• dougfrippondougfrippon Member Posts: 206

Very interesting guys! Thanks

I am very suprised about EQ, I knew it has always been popular but IMO at first it wasn't THAT fun PLUS it is aging pretty BAD (IMO).

I played a few MMORPG (EQ, AC, AC2, Earth and beyond, DAOC, UO) and the ONLY one I really liked was UO back in the days.

I wish they do something that fun again.

I am thinking of playing one a MMORPG right now.  SWG Doesn't interest me so much from what I can see, what you guys suggest?

• KoriztajaKoriztaja Member UncommonPosts: 4

hmm, i think biggest MMORPG today is still Lineage 1? With 4 million paying subscribers to game?? I might be wrong... but i think i read something like that.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Have no idea about lineage since for some reason it was not on the survey.

There is a link to that survey somewhere on this forum and on warcry.com news but probabaly need to search a few months back because the survey was done a few months back.

Guy that did it was for a project and seems to claim to have been accurate with a 5-10 percent error margin.

Well concerning EQ i myself don't play it anymore but can imagine it is close to that because on primetime weekends I experienced slowdowns and my guild alone could muster close to 100 people online at that time.And we were not the largest guild on server.

It is old yes but 2 years younger then UO and has had many revamps graphically.

I tried UO 2 months ago(got a free month trial on my pcgamer mag) and europa server was still pretty crowded .

It is not hard really to imagine this older games been so popular.

first,they both had original ideas.

Secondly,they take ages to get your character developed,ie UO someone with his castles ,EQ someone with his level 65 char and epics etc.People don't like losing what took years to build .

Thirdly,they have low system requirements making them ideal for smooth playing unlike the 3rd generation mmrpgs that will lag like hell on anything but a powerful computer.So are basically more mainstream.

Fourthly,community.I myself have actually gone on holidays with someone from my old guild in EQ and met her online.Many EQ guilds have real nights out(mine had a few but was too far to go to).People help out others that they meet online and yes even financially.Real life marriages from people that met in EQ has been a common enough story.In DAoC there was a moment of silence when some player died in real life and they made a circle(or was it a heart shape) with members of all warring factions.

So basically this older games have made a strong community that expands past just playing ingame.This makes it very hard to break from the game even if you do get tired of the game.

This factors i am yet to see in any of the new mmrpgs which have never shown me a sense of belonging and basically play like a game with beautiful graphics but no real sense of been in the game.