Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conan IS the grandfather of RPGs

In my opinion Conan and LOTR are the grand fathers of the RPG, in ALL it's present forms.

Conan was written by Robert.E.Howard between 1932 and '35, BEFORE Tolkien published the Hobbit.

When Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson and Co released DnD in 1974 they were obviously influenced by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and the Hobbit. Rangers, warriors, wizards, elves, orcs etc.

But they must have taken from Conan too. Sorcery, magic, thieves, higher gods, barbarians, amazon warrior women, freebooter pirates, demons.  

ALL rpgs since, then all computer rpgs, and finally MMO rpgs, have drawn from these sources for inspiration. Everquest's Barbarian warrior, IS CONAN, except they messed him up.

Now we have the father of RPGs ADnD coming out in mmo form, and IT'S fathers, LOTR, and Conan.

Without those two being written from '32 to '45 there would be no Everquest,WoW, Lineage.....

I wait with anticipation, to see how this turns out.

Comments

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

I like to hope that this game will be excellent as well. I have read some of the newer conan series and I love them. I am not sure Funcom is the one to pull this off but I will be open about it and wait too see.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75

Every once in a while an author creates a character that everyone falls for. Howard did this with Conan, too bad he never got to see how famous his creation has become..........I read alot about Howard and he mentioned when he wrote the Conan stories, it was like Conan was standing over his shoulder telling him what happened, and chastising him if he wrote it wrong. (Angry Conan is not a prety sight, heh)

It has been said many times Robert Howard created the genre sword and sorcery. So I am sure his influence was felt throughout the fantasy world and beyond.

For excellent info on Howard you can check out: "The Coming of Conan the Barbarian", "The Bloody Crown of Conan" and the upcoming "The Conquering Sword of Conan". All are omnibus' books from DEL REY containing most of the works of Howard along with tons of info about his brief but crazy life. They are newly released and you can find them at any book store. Prepare yourself for a thrilling ride. image

• DangeroDangero Member Posts: 21

No the grandfather of rpg is tales 1-3!

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    I think your forgetting about Greek and Roman mythology, and the hundreds of stories before this. Even Beowulf had monsters in it.
  • ben_71ben_71 Member Posts: 9

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Fantasy as we know it and greek mythology are not similar. The people of greece believed in the greek gods and it was their religion. Fantasy was never anyones religion. There for greek mythology can't be looked at as a founder of fantasy any more than christianity or Buddhism can. I can remember playing with Conan action figures and he rode I dinosaur or something in the mid 80's when I was just a lad ::::24::

The key to a great MMOG is Freedom

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615

Originally posted by Finduilas
    In my opinion Conan and LOTR are the grand fathers of the RPG, in ALL it's present forms.
    Conan was written by Robert.E.Howard between 1932 and '35, BEFORE Tolkien published the Hobbit.
    When Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson and Co released DnD in 1974 they were obviously influenced by Tolkien's Lord of the Rings, and the Hobbit. Rangers, warriors, wizards, elves, orcs etc.
    But they must have taken from Conan too. Sorcery, magic, thieves, higher gods, barbarians, amazon warrior women, freebooter pirates, demons.
    ALL rpgs since, then all computer rpgs, and finally MMO rpgs, have drawn from these sources for inspiration. Everquest's Barbarian warrior, IS CONAN, except they messed him up.
    Now we have the father of RPGs ADnD coming out in mmo form, and IT'S fathers, LOTR, and Conan.
    Without those two being written from '32 to '45 there would be no Everquest,WoW, Lineage.....

Hate to break it to you but Conan was written (Which makes it a Story) in the year you said.
    RPG stands for Role Playing Game and the Grandfather of **RPG's** IS D&D!! point Blank!

When Conan was written you did NOT Roleplay it. It didnt exist then. True RPing emerged when D&D emerged which makes IT the grandfather of RPGs!

Get your facts straight

Nonetheless Conan should be a great game...after DDO :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

Check the OP opening line, and you will find [GASP] "IM MY OPINION" so he did not state any facts.

The creator of D+D (Gary Gygax) has done numerous interviews were he credits many sources of inspiration for his creation. During the most recent interview I heard (last week on AM640 out of Toronto, hosted by Michael Stafford) Gary mentioned his inspirations for D+D as a boy playing cowboys and indians, peenuckle (sp?) and chess.

He also mentioned reading LoTR and (you know what is coming) CONAN as the archetype for the fighter class. One of his favorite authors was and remains Robert E. Howard.

There are some facts for you. They recently had their anniversay (30 years as of 2004) and I am sure you can verify these facts if you wanted too online or in the newspapers.

DOUBLE POST< sorry.image

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Wow, excellent post fin. I had no idea Conan was written before LotR. I totally agree that the RPG genre would not even exist today without the works of those two amazing authors. They really are special in my book.

I think Funcom has really got the experience under their belt now, and with their past mistakes perhaps they are the ONLY publishing house that could do justice to the Conan saga. I too wait with much anticipation for this bad boy. Who knows, this might be the shocker title of the new generation of games. If this game is half as good as I think it can be, it might just be the game I stick with.

EDIT: Windsoul you hyped this game at a 5? What a party pooper.image

• XFantasyXXFantasyX Member Posts: 138

::::24:: heres a good way to think of it: in order for more of the favorites like ff xi anarchy
    free world what ever type of game u like had to get there by the creators idea of using some
    things from a differnt game but improvment so u guys get what i mean?::::40::

Mwahahahahhahah

• WeppsWepps Member Posts: 1,322

Originally posted by anarchyart
    Wow, excellent post fin. I had no idea Conan was written before LotR. I totally agree that the RPG genre would not even exist today without the works of those two amazing authors. They really are special in my book.
    I think Funcom has really got the experience under their belt now, and with their past mistakes perhaps they are the ONLY publishing house that could do justice to the Conan saga. I too wait with much anticipation for this bad boy. Who knows, this might be the shocker title of the new generation of games. If this game is half as good as I think it can be, it might just be the game I stick with.
    EDIT: Windsoul you hyped this game at a 5? What a party pooper.image

Everything surrounding LotR is borrowed from the Ring Cycle, a series of 40 operas written by Richard Wagner, who in turn created that content from the Icelandic Sagas or Viking histories, particularly the story surrounding the Ring of Power.

So technically, since they were put in written form around the year 1000 CE, the actual original story of the Ring of Power came first.

The Conan books really are old, older than Tolkein's interpretation of the LotR though.

Still great reads though :)

"For one who seeks what he cannot obtain suffers torture; one who has what is not desirable is cheated; and one who does not seek what is worth seeking is diseased." - Augustine of Hippo

• RavenmgsRavenmgs Member Posts: 155

I don't think Conan had allot to do with D&D which really is the grand father of all MMORPGS, Don’t get me wrong though, I lub Conan, but I see very little Conan in MMORPGS. I think Tolken influenced it allot more, along with classical mythology. Conan didn't bring allot of the systems and concepts that were and are vital the RPG's like races, classes, ect... I also think C.S. Lewis had allot to do with the concept of a full fantasy world filled with mythological creatures people could play in with his various books. And if we look further back, we find that these men were inspired by lore and legends, in reality the true grandfather of MMORPGS is the human imagination.

• manofsteelmanofsteel Member Posts: 19

LOTR and Conan were not games, they were stories in a a fantasy setting.  D&D was an RPG and it is the grandfather of MMORPG's.  I am really excited to see what Funcom can pull off for their next gen game.

• byronic1975byronic1975 Member Posts: 5

Originally posted by ben_71
    Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Fantasy as we know it and greek mythology are not similar. The people of greece believed in the greek gods and it was their religion. Fantasy was never anyones religion. There for greek mythology can't be looked at as a founder of fantasy any more than christianity or Buddhism can. I can remember playing with Conan action figures and he rode I dinosaur or something in the mid 80's when I was just a lad ::::24::

Actually, many aspects of modern fantasy was/is someone religions, Dwarves and Elves for instance have their roots in Norse mythology, which is still practiced around the world as Asatru. The Norse even made mention of dark elves, though they were sometimes interchangable with dwarves (since they both lived underground)