Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't go back to the old ways

MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
After being in beta all weekend and now that it is over, I just can't go and pick a mmo anymore that has a bazillion and one fedex quests and go fetch quests. For me the old ways are done, the holy trinity is done. Guild Wars 2 will be leading the mmo revolution to new types of mmos to come. I just can't log back into WoW or anyother mmo and start grinding all those quests again. Anyone else ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Comments

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263
    I wasnt playing any mmo for 4 or 5 months now, and now i found the game i wanna play for the next years i hope. The problem is that the next beta will be in a month or so... bahhh
  • arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    This game will be a culture shock to alot of players. Few months down the road after launch, when anet sees that their pop is going down, they will nerf the contents.

RIP Orc Choppa

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by arctarus

This game will be a culture shock to alot of players. Few months down the road after launch, when anet sees that their pop is going down, they will nerf the contents.

Except they don't need to, as they're not tied to active playerbase thanks to having no sub.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Maybe yes maybe not, gotta wait and see. Ofc i hope not.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Considering all the reasons you listed for the drop in population, I can see why you believe that.*

*Some portions of this statement MAY contain sarcasm.

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Mephster

After being in beta all weekend and now that it is over, I just can't go and pick a mmo anymore that has a bazillion and one fedex quests and go fetch quests. For me the old ways are done, the holy trinity is done. Guild Wars 2 will be leading the mmo revolution to new types of mmos to come. I just can't log back into WoW or anyother mmo and start grinding all those quests again. Anyone else ?

"leading the MMO revolution."  

lol

It's a good game.  It's not going to inspire any kind of revolution, though.  It's simply going to offer another alternative and a different play style for people that want that.  Not sure why you guys have to constantly trump it up to anything more than that.  Questing isn't dead, and the holy trinity isn't dead.  They'll be around for as long as MMOs are around.  What GW2 is doing is offering an alternative to those for people that want that. 

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by RebelScum99

lol

It's a good game.  It's not going to inspire any kind of revolution, though.  It's simply going to offer another alternative and a different play style for people that want that.  Not sure why you guys have to constantly trump it up to anything more than that.  Questing isn't dead, and the holy trinity isn't dead.  They'll be around for as long as MMOs are around.  What GW2 is doing is offering an alternative to those for people that want that. 

Well as for me, give me the GW2 alternative please :)

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Originally posted by k-damage

Except they don't need to, as they're not tied to active playerbase thanks to having no sub.

They have a cash shop for a reason.  Fewer players means fewer potential shop goers and fewer people buying expansions.  Population will matter to them.  I have no clue what will happen to their population BTW.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by xposeidon

lol

Well, you got it.  :)  Have at it.  Choices are good, and everyone wins when there are more alternatives.

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99
    Gw 1 is hard like hell and still hard, never get nerf in content, so I  think will not happen in Gw2.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i feel the same way as you do. The only difference is that when i log in to WoW i tend to do only the quests that follow  the main lore (thing i couldnt accomplish in games like rift, swtor, teras beta, aoc, etc... only WoW's Lore i find so indepth and well done). ALso i dont do the rinse and repeat things that are in game (including raiding 1000 times a day or Q-ing for the same dungeons many times). Maybe thats why i still enjoy WoW (even if i only buy 1 month here and there).

Cant wait for next GW2 beta weekend

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

Originally posted by RKameL

I wasnt playing any mmo for 4 or 5 months now, and now i found the game i wanna play for the next years i hope. The problem is that the next beta will be in a month or so... bahhh

this is me exactly, the only online game I have played more than a few days since I quit WoW a year ago is GW1... and there I got my 30 pts+ and have only logged in weekly for Nick and to help friends if they need it. Nothing holds my interest because I know whats out there, waiting... 

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

Idk, Gw2 is just an alright game imo, The events need some work. It felt like just repeatable quests that were the same crap over and over again. Granted killing the cave ogre (11 elite) was fun since he could 1-2 shot people.  (didn't try WvWvW) but As far as PVE goes nothing specail really just alright, the gameplay was just alright, the graphics sucked but who cares that much about that.  Gw2 will do alright since they suckered alot of people into Pre-purchasing and no - refund policy.   I think this game is over hyped and not the generation changing mmo most people are starved for. 

I don't think Gw2 is a bad game, but It will defenitly offer something different in its own way.  I feel its too similar to GW1 which I was not a fan of.

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• xposeidonxposeidon Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by xposeidon

lol

Well, you got it.  :)  Have at it.  Choices are good, and everyone wins when there are more alternatives.

If only I could my friend, if only I could... :(

Remember... all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    I feel the same.  This is the MMO I've been looking for and I didn't even realize it.  I just can't imagine going back to tank n' spank or kill/retrieve grind after this.  I believe long time MMO vets will have the hardest time with this game.  The game felt challenging to me since there are old habits I'll have to unlearn but I had a lot of fun in the process.  I had to keep telling myself, "Ok, dumbass!  Don't just stand there!!!"  image 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

Couldnt agree more with OP, the game is just outstanding, i myself considered out of the mmorpg genre since there have only been WoW-like games in the past years.

I used to be a hxc GW player and was looking forward Diablo3, but when my friends told me they had prepurchased GW2 because beta weekend was coming couldnt avoid the feeling of: 'this is going to be a 100% quality game, and you know it, just go buy it!' And so did I.

Havent had such a great time, Sometimes i felt like meh to login and start killing mobs, but once you enter the world, doing dynamic events, helping people, following storyline, WvW, and tasting that frenzy combat, it just feels so fresh and overwhelming that makes you want to play non-stop.

10/10 for ArenaNet, best MMO game ive played so far in the early levels, and hope it just goes on as you get higher levels.

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Newnan

Idk, Gw2 is just an alright game imo, The events need some work. It felt like just repeatable quests that were the same crap over and over again. Granted killing the cave ogre (11 elite) was fun since he could 1-2 shot people.  (didn't try WvWvW) but As far as PVE goes nothing specail really just alright, the gameplay was just alright, the graphics sucked but who cares that much about that.  Gw2 will do alright since they suckered alot of people into Pre-purchasing and no - refund policy.   I think this game is over hyped and not the generation changing mmo most people are starved for. 

I don't think Gw2 is a bad game, but It will defenitly offer something different in its own way.  I feel its too similar to GW1 which I was not a fan of.

How did they "sucker in" people?

The beta delivered exactly what they promised and gameplay was shown in the hundreds of press videos available PRIOR to the beta weekend.

Now some folks may not have liked it for whatever reason, but I find it hard to believe that they were somehow tricked into buying the game.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863
    I'lls ay one thing. I was not a huge fan of Guild Wars 2 simply because its a f2p mmorpg.. However, after playing this weekend, I enjoyed myself to the point where I don't want to play any other MMORPG.. I'm not even excited about diablo 3 now that I've played gw2, lol,.. And that's saying a lot..  There are some things I'd like tweaked, but overall I think the game is really good and it should be very successful..  All I know is, I can't wait for the next beta event..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• NewnanNewnan Member UncommonPosts: 98

The beta delivered exactly what they promised and gameplay was shown in the hundreds of press videos available PRIOR to the beta weekend.

Now some folks may not have liked it for whatever reason, but I find it hard to believe that they were somehow tricked into buying the game.

[mod edit]

Screw leveling games, give me something with "End game" at the beginning of the game.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688
    GW2 is definitely a breath of fresh air.  Dynamic events really is a creative way to make solo PVE fun and exciting.  The events themselves offer a good mix of killing (with some extremely tough fights out there), exploring and puzzles.  I don't see how a game like SWTOR will survive GW2's release.  GW2 has better voice acting, better story, better "quests", better PVP, and no sub.  I foresee GW2 killing a lot of games.  Not WoW (best raiding) or EVE, but the WoW clone generation and F2P gamse are in serious trouble. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Mythios11Mythios11 Member Posts: 129

Based on everything I've read and seen over the past few days I would think that games like SWTOR, TSW and Tera are going to have a real tough time justifying sub fees.

• biogermbiogerm Member UncommonPosts: 168

I ment like the no refund policy, and if you feel like videos are good enough to judge a game then you must be a retard

you do understand this is why is called pre-purchase and not pre-order? 

they said, this isnt pre-order, its pre-purchase.there is no money back.

more over so, since pre-purchase give you full acces to the oncoming beta, its seem reasonable enough not to give people to come in for closed beta just so they can get a refund and trash the game after playing it.

no one forced people to buy the game to get into the Beta, some people bought it anyhow and wer not happy.

so thats a.net fault now?

whats so diffcult to understand about it?

I 3930k -- Rampage IV Extreme -- G.skill RipjawsZ 32 GB -- Corsair Force Series 3 120gb -- G.skill Phoenix Pro 60gb -- WD 1 TB Black -- Corsair H 100 -- Thermaltake Level 10 Gt Snow Edition -- Corsair AX1200 -- Asus 560 Ti Sli -- Microsoft Sidewinder X4 -- Logitech G5 -- DELL UltraSharp 2007FP -- Samsung Syncmaster Sa700 -- Logitech Z2300 -- Logitech G35 -- Logitech G600 White -- coming soon : Dell U2711.

• YarlyYarly Member Posts: 53
    I can't find the old MMO's I played fun after this bwe.  The DE"s, the more action oriented combat, the holy trinity decapitation, and the storyline!  I'm amazed!

Guild Wars 2!

• TreebyrnTreebyrn Member Posts: 25

I ment like the no refund policy, and if you feel like videos are good enough to judge a game then you must be a retard

Huhh??? Anet delivered exactly what they promised... guaranteed BWE's for everyone that pre-purchased. Nowhere have I seen or read Anet promise that if you did not like the game you would get your money back. There has been an abundant amount of information (at the very least enough to give you a good idea of what the game is like) for any intelligent person to decide if this game is worth a pre-purchase.

I will also say the same thing about the people who pre-purchase Tera and then whine and complain and want their money back because they do not like the Asian style animations.... people are either huge trolls or too stupid to do a little research before investing money into a game.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

come back in a couple months when the dynamic events lose there luster.the only difference is,no one will care if gw2 flops because its free to play

eather way though,the pvp looks a hell of alot better then sw tor.which is pretty much the only reason i care about guild wars 2