Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Crafting Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During this past weekend's Guild Wars 2 closed beta event, we spent some time learning some of the intricacies of the crafting system. We've got some thoughts to share about GW2 crafting that you won't want to miss. Did you try it? Let us know what you think in the comments.

Let me start by saying that I really enjoy crafting in my MMOs. I feel like it adds an extra dimension to the game. I enjoy the feeling of self-sufficiency being able to craft gives me and hey, the ability to help my guildmates with stuff doesn’t hurt either. So, it was without hesitation that after creating my Norn Thief this past weekend in Guild Wars 2’s first beta weekend that I set off to find some skill trainers. Around level six or so, I made my way to Hoelbrak, the Norn city and signed up with the Cooking and Leatherworking disciplines. Since GW2 thieves use medium armor, Leatherworking seemed like a good idea and, as in many games, cooking seemed like it would be practical for my own needs, guildmates, and to put on the market.

Read more of Christina Gonzalez's Guild Wars 2 Crafting Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    The best thing about crafting here is no stress and failures, just exploring the outcomes.
  • tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level.

The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    trying to level cooking is extremely expensive, not tu mention that you more or less constantly need mats that are bought for karma
  • NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132
    True, and I like how I don't have to spend a metric buttload of cash on the WoW auction house, just to get the rare recipes that I need to round out my crafting. I can just experiment (i.e. Look up on the Internet ;) ), and get everything in the craft list.
  • BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    tordurbar: as a tailor,lw and jeweller (did try those 3 + cooking) i had different problem - to level further i had to make items which were far ahead of my adventuring level - like with LW i was making already on adv lev 14 shoulders for lev 20
  • NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

Originally posted by tordurbar

The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.

I agree. During my time in Beta, all I was able to make was components for stuff that I couldn't make, as I was out of Weak Vial of Blood, or couldn't grind my craft skill up enough as I didn't have the higher level mats I needed.

ArenaNet needs to "normalise" it's crafting recipes, so the level with the character, rather than just being there for the end game. 

• thakursethakurse Member UncommonPosts: 25
    stop complaining, this game is NOT Easy Mode and you should start to appreciate it
  • EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Originally posted by tordurbar I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level. The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.  
    I had absolutely no problem leveling my crafting to keep pace with my character level. Every five levels offered new items for both tailor and artificer, from level 10, through 15 and on to 20 I was able to craft gear that was better than the drops I had received.

• tordurbartordurbar Member UncommonPosts: 421

Originally posted by EvilGeek

Originally posted by tordurbar I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level. The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.  

I had absolutely no problem leveling my crafting to keep pace with my character level. Every five levels offered new items for both tailor and artificer, from level 10, through 15 and on to 20 I was able to craft gear that was better than the drops I had received.

Please tell me how you did this. The only way I can see this happening is if you are part of a big guild with a lot of your buddies providing the mats you need to build the items. That is my disappointment - GW2 seems to cater for the crafting "professional" not for the "common" player.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188
    I did armorsmithng and weaponsmithing, they seemed pretty easy to understand and do.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• LavecLavec Member UncommonPosts: 43

"As someone that loves crafting, there’s a certain feeling that I should be able to at least try to make a recipe that’s technically above my level, even if I might fail."

Not sure what you mean there, I crafted level 10 gear at level 6 or 7 by experimenting. High level craft is red rather than yellow.

"Being able to afford materials is sometimes an issue too, especially if you’re trying to do two crafting disciplines."

I think that's pretty standard if you are trying to do 2 crafts at once with your first characted, especially since cooking is designed to be expensive and more for an alt once you have plenty of mats in the bank.

Which brings me to two things you missed:

1. There is no boring wait to craft large stacks. The more you craft the faster it goes. This is a breath of fresh air over other mmos. No longer do you have to spend an entire evening crafting.

2. Bank storage. This is awesome and like the GW1 shared storage for materials but expanded and includes lots of cooking ingerient storage as well as mats for all other crafts. Maybe you missed this but there is a bank tab on the left to take you to this and is extra to the standard 30 slots (expandable). It adds 100s of slots to bank storage and there's also storage for minis.

This is the best crafting I have seen in an mmo. I felt I could craft some gear for my level, it doesn't punish with crit failures, it isn't time consuming if you gather as you go, storage is catered for, and it's interesting enough too. Hats off to ArenaNet.

If mats like Vials of Blood were too easy to come by it would make crafting too easy imho. I got enough for personal use and if I wanted more for selling gear in the AH then I probably need to buy them there too.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

The only issue I had with the crafting system is the massive amount of crafting items that can be found. I normally would LOVE to see a system with such a variety of items and materials but not in one where bag space is so limited.

Perhaps if they added a materials bag that is apart from the rest, even just a 10 slot bag(free) and then have to buy to have it expanded. As is, I may not participate in that aspect of the game which will cut down the games lifespan for me as I am always into crafting in MMOs.

It only requires a small change for me to fully support it as it is a nice crafting system.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I'm not sure what was going on with your problems finding mats.  I spent almost my entire beta exploring the world exlusively and doing the random event I came across and harvesting most nodes.  I ended up with tons of metal, wood, jute, leather, vials.. so much that I had to go back to my bank a couple times to make inventory space.  I was too interested in exploring to craft this time.. maybe next beta weekend I'll try the crafting side.

By time I was 22 I had a ton of mats.  Oh, you also didn't really mention that you can change crafting skills and not lose progress, thus being able to learn them all.  Just saying, since it's a crafting preview...

A couple more things that you neglected to mention:

1. Salvage kits: used to decon salavagable items. If you explore you can find REALLY good salvage kits (blue quality) that have much higher success rates.

2. Harvesting metal nodes give you the possibility of getting gems to insert into the upgrade slots of your armor. This is good for people who are out harvesting, but wouldn't want to craft. They can get drops to insert into their empty armor slots.

A side note on harvesting.. use the tool required. If you don't need an expensive harvest tool to harvest the node you're at, use the cheaper tool.

And everyone can harvest a node.. which is pretty sweet. No more rushing people to a node.  And those rich nodes, schweeeet!

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by jtcgs

The only issue I had with the crafting system is the massive amount of crafting items that can be found. I normally would LOVE to see a system with such a variety of items and materials but not in one where bag space is so limited.

Perhaps if they added a materials bag that is apart from the rest, even just a 10 slot bag(free) and then have to buy to have it expanded. As is, I may not participate in that aspect of the game which will cut down the games lifespan for me as I am always into crafting in MMOs.

It only requires a small change for me to fully support it as it is a nice crafting system.

They have that. Actually, let me explain this because it was one of the best features in the game.

In your bank, there is a second tab for collectables and mini-pets. Every basic crafting item you can place in this tab and it will not take up bank space. Not only that, but you can also put the combined items in there as well. For example, jute cloth and jute bolts both can go in there.

On top of that, you can right click basic crafting materials and send them straight to your collectibles bank from anywhere in the world. It made the space in your inventory not seem so tight. What I did is carry around like 50 salvage kits at all times and converted items I wasn't going to use into basic mats and then sent them to my collectibles bank. It made my inventory feel plenty large.

Now there are some crafting items that do not go in there at this point. Tiny Claws, Weak Blood, etc. All those little things that you get from enemies do not currently go in that tab and so they are the things that tend to take up space. I'm hoping they add functionality in the bank for those items to go in there as well.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

Originally posted by colddog04

On top of that, you can right click basic crafting materials and send them straight to your collectibles bank from anywhere in the world. It made the space in your inventory not seem so tight. What I did is carry around like 50 salvage kits at all times and converted items I wasn't going to use into basic mats and then sent them to my collectibles bank. It made my inventory feel plenty large.

Wow, didn't even see that. Thanks!

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Lavec

"As someone that loves crafting, there’s a certain feeling that I should be able to at least try to make a recipe that’s technically above my level, even if I might fail."

Not sure what you mean there, I crafted level 10 gear at level 6 or 7 by experimenting. High level craft is red rather than yellow.

I believe there is a certain level of "wiggle room" in crafting skill. If an unknown recipee requires your skill level to be 15, it'll let you do it if you are at 10 or so. I know a few recipees I discovered had a lvl requirement slightly above my own but still worked. I never got my crafting all that high, but I'm assuming that for something like a 50 item, you'll just need to be at 45 or so.

• SeshatSeshat Member UncommonPosts: 5

Hey guys, I wrote this and I just want to clarify a few things.

There was so much to do in the game, and while I did place a major emphasis on crafting, there was just not a lot of time to get the full picture. I had to concentrate on Cooking and Leatherworking for this article because of those constraints. I too was affected by server and login issues for a good while on Saturday. Also, different disciplines have different rates. For example, even with a skill level of 24, I couldn't craft the level 25 armors in red in my list. Nor level 25 recipes that were discoverable - like the blueberry tart, which I tested out since it was on the wiki. I had issues with being unable to craft foods that were skill 25 when I was under that. So if you were able to do so, I'll have to investigate.

Once the game launches or there are more beta weekends, I'd love to delve into all eight disciplines.

-To those who pointed out my not mentioning the storage for common crafting mats - thanks for putting it out there. I loved discovering that storage and indeed it was an omission.

• mairicmairic Member UncommonPosts: 13

I had two characters, one that was a weaponsmith and another that was a leatherworker. I was able to craft items that I was able to use almost constantly. And they were better than the ones I found as loot. Someone mentioned that you needed drop like, "vial of weak blood" and this might be true but I did find a way around it. If you crafted an Insignia and the hilt and blade of a weapon and then combined that into a new recipe, it crafts it for you and gives you the new recipe based on the insignia without needing the Vial of Weak Blood. It uses the insignia instead. 

I had to do it this way because for some reason the AH would not sell me any vials of weak blood but I was able to get my crafting up to about level 60 without (or barely having any) weak blood. 

Originally posted by tordurbar
    Originally posted by EvilGeek   Originally posted by tordurbar I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level. The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.  
    Please tell me how you did this. The only way I can see this happening is if you are part of a big guild with a lot of your buddies providing the mats you need to build the items. That is my disappointment - GW2 seems to cater for the crafting "professional" not for the "common" player.

I used salvage kits on every item I didn't use, this gave me plenty of cloth for tailoring. Gathering wood and metals along with the salvaged mats gave me plenty for my artificer. I also quickly noted that the most effective way to level crafting was via discovery. They gave me a starter recipe for each light armour piece, this used a 'mighty' insignia which could be crafted using weak blood, the other insignia (precise, vital, healing etc) didn't have associated recipes, by creating the basic mats for a piece and creating an insignia I didn't have the recipe for I could 'discover' a new item, gave way more xp than trying to level up making multiples of the original recipes your given to start.

Finding the creature drop mats to make the different insignia is just about being observant, there were some I rarely seemed to get because I didn't encounter the creature type that dropped them very often. I ended up spending over 20 silver to get my artificer from 25 to 50 because of those creature drops. When the game goes live though I can see me grinding away on the right mobs to complete all the available discoveries.

I hope I don't come across as elitist but I think crafting should reward effort, otherwise there's no viable economy for crafted goods if everyone can make useful items easily all of the time.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

I took tailor being a light armour wearer but I only saw some new recipes when I hit craft skill of 5 or 10.  From then up to my current skill of 30, I got nothing new apart from 1 recipe I discovered myslf.

Originally posted by Wolfhammer
    Originally posted by EvilGeek   Originally posted by tordurbar I disagree with "The distribution of materials also seems to want to keep pace with the player level". As an Artificer and Weaponsmith the gathering modes were way ahead of my crafting level. Example - iron requires level 75 and I was level 24 at the end of the beta. Although I enjoyed some of the crafting I was disappointed that the receipes for the items (not the components) depended upon uncommon drops (exampe: vial of weak blood). I spent most of my time (I was a Norn) just building components to level my crafting skill and that only went so far. I enjoyed the discovery process but never discovered anything because I was too low in crafting level. The way that I see it is that the crafting system is meant for high level toons with a load of time on their hands. It is not meant to be used "on you way up".  That, to me, is disappointing.  
    I took tailor being a light armour wearer but I only saw some new recipes when I hit craft skill of 5 or 10.  From then up to my current skill of 30, I got nothing new apart from 1 recipe I discovered myslf.

See my previous post, it's all about discovery :)

Originally posted by Wolfhammer

See my previous post, it's all about discovery :)

I wasnt aware you could put component parts in discovery to be honest and didn't actually try.  I only tried putting mats in there..  Will have to have a proper look next time it seems..

Cheers...

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    My one comment..the materials to craft...are toooooo scarce to faclitate fun crafting.I look forward to more crafting...just not so painfully  S   L   O   W  to actully make things.

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

My one comment..the materials to craft...are toooooo scarce to faclitate fun crafting.I look forward to more crafting...just not so painfully  S   L   O   W  to actully make things.

I don't agree based on the posts above...  I missed out on some tricks of the trade which slowed me down, but even so, it was paced quite nicely...

• aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 620

Good quick preview. I also love crafting, and I wont stay with an MMO very long if the crafting system is lacking. I was very excited about the ability to "discover" recipes for yourself, but the little easter egg type recipes you can buy from the Karma merchants (hearts) around the world were very welcome. Usually it was only a single recipe, and most times tied into the event to unlock it somehow.

I was alittle disappointed with the amount of starter recipes. I thought they actually gave you too much. The recipes are straight forward, and easily experimented, i would have liked a little less handholding here and more discovery for myself. I only hope the higher levels unlock less and less each time, and require alittle more experimenting with things you learned at the lower levels.

I started out with Tailor and LW since i was looting a bunch of jute and leather from leveling and doing events. First thing i did was make 8 slot bags to replace all the 4-slot and 5 slot i was getting from the world (some mobs drop 5 slot bags btw). It was very cheap to make these, they require 10 (either bolts of jute, leather squares or bronze ingots for armorer boxes) basic items and nothing extra for costs. I didnt get very high in either, but like someone else mentioned, i was making items at or just above my current level, and they were better quality than what i looted. Also the isignia you use determines the "extra stat", so you can decide for yourself if you wanted power, vitality, precision ect, instead of hoping you get lucky with the right drop.

At the end I went and tried out every one of the professions, looking at all the starter recipes and seeing what i could make with the things i collected on my way to level 20. Cooking was by far the easiest, but also the most expensive. It really did balance it out that way. The Karma wasnt an issue, i was very very pleased they had both kinds of items. Money was scarce for me as i was breaking down most items into mats instead of selling them, but i had 7k Karma just from participating in events and earned in WvW. Being able to spend both to work on cooking allowed me to quickly catch up to my own level and make items of actual use, not just the started spices and dough or noodles.

Overall, crafting in general was fun and entertaining. It didnt require long hours in front of a forge, and was only slightly costly for lower levels. If you come to crafting much later when money isnt an issue, you will be able to breeze right through it and catch up to you level, if you try to take it on as you level, you should be able to keep up, but it wont leave you with much money or karma left for other things.