Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New player returning (again!)

ThyromThyrom Member UncommonPosts: 45

Hi all,

I have decided to give EVE another try as I feel like it is the best game out there that will give me my gaming fix. Having come from a fairly simple path of games (Runescape for years followed by WoW and then a lot of mmo hopping) EVE was the only game that kept me for a few months after my WoW burnout. In addition, I haven't as much time these days so being able to train skills whilst "offline" is a big appeal to me.

Thinking out loud, I think the last time I struggled with the sandbox element and spent all my time running missions and simply sickened myself of it. So...my simple plan is to resub and try to start over (on the same character I played last year)::

- download the client updates

- watch some YouTube tutorials

- play the tutorial again to refresh  my memory

- find a large "newb friendly" corp (possibly trying the Uni that I have read about). The last couple of times I did find a decent corp but it was small and lacked any real group activities so I was just left alone and didn't really get into the game like I wanted.

So...wish me luck! I am hoping I can crack it this time as it is a game I really want to understand and enjoy.

Thy

Currently playing; nothing

Previously played; Runescape Classic, Runescape, WoW.

Tried but failed; EvE, EQ2, Guild Wars, Darkfall, UO, DDO, LoTRO, FLYFF, Atlantica Online, Ryzom

Comments

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Welcome back to the best MMO out there! Sounds like you have the right approach and plan.

Check out this page for more ideas about what to do in EVE: http://swiftandbitter.com/eve/wtd/

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• heimer73heimer73 Member Posts: 147

Also just resubbed ... and my experinces have been very similar to the OP.

Love the game and the complexity but I always end up not knowing what to do. Sandboxes are great but annoying at times :)

I will also apply to Eve Uni and take it from there.

• ThyromThyrom Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Thanks for the link, I am going to read that now.

I definately think Eve University will help as I found myself in that exact position last time...lost and not knowing what to do!

Resubbing tomorrow and quite looking forward to it.

Tried but failed; EvE, EQ2, Guild Wars, Darkfall, UO, DDO, LoTRO, FLYFF, Atlantica Online, Ryzom

• sycofiendsycofiend Member UncommonPosts: 129

I have heard lots of great things about Eve Uni , or if learning pvp is your think RVB as well.

Personally I was in a similar boat with time, which is why I too like the train skills out of game, even though I am a hardcore gamer at heart , my current schedule just doesnt permit it.

The only reason I didnt go the e-uni route is that they are very rigidly structured, and have rules on when you can undock, what to do etc.. which is great if thats what you want, and great way to learn. me personally, I just wanted to "care-bear" around at my own pace and check things out on my own.

as it turns out , I have dabbled in low-sec, with mining and production, mission  running and getting into exploration.

The corp I joined is very new-pilot friendly and actually quite active, which makes it nice. but they dont seem to mind that I am usually off in a corner somewhere doing my own thing.

although I plan to change all that as I am starting to get the pvp bug after some griefing altercations, and some low sec trips

I have 3 accounts now (lol, so much for casual approach) so I can mine, haul and fight as well as try out different racial ships.

getting into battlecruisers (getting them to where I have skills to really fly them) and doing mining/building to mass up my pvp fleet before I deploy to my corps home system and join in the fun.

in short, glad you enjoying eve .. I love it too and am spreading the gospel

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

finding stuff to do links with finding a corp that does them, mine for e.g. does incursions, missions and worm holes on top of pvp, so i have plenty to do (once my skills are up) they have a strict recuiting policy so our numbers are very low though.

• ThyromThyrom Member UncommonPosts: 45
    ...well, I am back and flying amongst the stars. My night was quite an active on at that! When I first logged in, I was standing in my captains quarters which was all very new so I had a quick wander round and tried to remember how the interface worked (I remember some things better than others!).

Next, I checked my assets and found a ship I had called "Mission Ship". So, I decided to accept a couple of missions and get myself back into the game. These missions were simple enough and the game was coming back to me nicely.

Once back in the hanger, I looked at my skills...hmm...this but was tricky but I added a couple to the skill queue and decided to look for a Corp. This is the important bit!

I read the adverts and forums...not many stood out as I was after a mature audience who accepted new flyers. I did find one, however, and was successful in my application :)

On chatting to my new friends, it seems like a good choice. I ran I few missions and they helped with questions I asked about the game. I explained why I had left so they asked what my career plan was.i paused and answered:

"running a few missions to familiarise myself with the game and then some mining to get some ISK"

This was where they pointed out that he event Hulkathingy was starting soon do I should think about doing something else if I didn't want to lose a ship (or two!).

Ah EVE, looks good do far and I'm delighted to be back!

• acheroncycacheroncyc Member Posts: 15
    Welcome back to AspieSwarm Online, lol.
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Goons are camping the shit out of Jita, we wardecced em, nobody said anything yet but I hope it becomes blob v blob in highsec.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    are they suicide ganking industrials?
  • kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Calfis

Goons are camping the shit out of Jita, we wardecced em, nobody said anything yet but I hope it becomes blob v blob in highsec.

https://www.google.com/search?ix=acb&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=jita+will+burn

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

Originally posted by Calfis

This is one of the many reasons I stayed out of high sec.

Anyway why are you hoping for a blob fest?  Isn't Jita 4-4 laggy enough.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381
    We sent a few token 50-60 man fleets up there to fight em as fleets since we decced the entire CFC we get to fight their 200 man Jita blobs without CONCORD intervention. Though I have to admit that getting the numbers to go to Jita and fight them has been a slight issue.