Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA: Free Server Transfers Detailed

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

En Masse Entertainment has announced that players wishing to transfer characters to different servers will be able to do so beginning today, April 30th and continuing through server stabilization when restrictions will be applied.

In addition, the team announced that a new PvP centric server has been created called "Feral Valley" to accommodate increasing numbers of PvPers.

Read more about server transfers on the TERA page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• beowulf2014beowulf2014 Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Hopefully, some folks move off of VoT so that we stop the 2.5 hr queues....

• Omb1Omb1 Member Posts: 30

Originally posted by beowulf2014

Unfortunately, if everyone thinks like you it will stay the same. Which is probably's what going to to happen... I wouldn't even be surprised if the queue went up instead.

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201

Originally posted by Omb1

Unfortunately, if everyone thinks like you it will stay the same. Which is probably's what going to to happen... I wouldn't even be surprised if the queue went up instead.

Very true.

Originally posted by Shadowdawnz

Originally posted by Omb1

Very true.

I don't believe they will be allowing transfers TO VoT so therefore it shouldn't get worse. It is my hope that the folks that have tried it out with the "buddy key" move on to the new server. Since our guild has been on this server since it opened, we do not have any intention of leaving our home. Queues be damned.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659
    Hmm, doesnt server transfer usually precede server closures?

Originally posted by wrightstuf

/baffle

Game isn't even out yet.. Unless you are trolling (which on this site is very plausable) you will know that server transfers are because there are queues on 3 servers that last upwards of 3 hrs. NOT because a server is dead..

• ShadowdawnzShadowdawnz Member UncommonPosts: 201
    Ya, they also stopped character creation on the two major PvP servers, but still. If everyone says they don't want to move then the servers aren't gonna get any better. I'm hesitant to move also as I'm enjoying the Basilisks Crag server but if the server queue doesnt get any better then I will move my character to Feral Velley.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Since when?  WoW put in server transfers and the pop kept growing.  Rift too.  Server MERGES are usually a bad sign, but these days I wouldn't be so sure.  Now it's just a matter of shuffling your population around for better gameplay experience.  Server transfers just give customers more options and ways to play with friends.  It's a good thing.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Shadowdawnz

Ya, they also stopped character creation on the two major PvP servers, but still. If everyone says they don't want to move then the servers aren't gonna get any better. I'm hesitant to move also as I'm enjoying the Basilisks Crag server but if the server queue doesnt get any better then I will move my character to Feral Velley.

Well, you could just have characters on both servers right?  Eventually the queues will die down on BC so why not play on the new server with an Alt until then.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• marsh9799marsh9799 Member Posts: 100

Typically, yes.  However, server transfers if done correctly are hugely beneficial to a game.  WoW didn't release new servers as the game grew (at least for quite sometime).  Instead, it allowed for free transfers from the extremely high pop servers to the servers that, while were definitely not wastelands, had fewer players.

All MMOs that release should be ready to do free transfers like this.  The way games typically deal with it is by increasing the number of servers.  This is a terrible fix because of two very important reasons.  The first is that players have to reroll.  This doesn't bother every player, but it bothers a many players.  Second, all games have an initial "pull back" phase- even WoW had this.  When this happens, games very frequently end up with empty servers.  There are very few MMO players who want to play on an empty server.  If server transfers are used to help even out the player base and adjust during this phase, you do not end up with servers that are unsustainably underpopulated.  If you didn't take action to even the servers, the player base has two options: quit or reroll.  As stated, many players don't like rereolling, especially early on in a game.

Edit: By "pull back," I mean that a large percentage of players are leaving the game.  This does not mean that the population is declining.  Most MMOs hit this at some point between months 3 and 6.  If the population is hit hard enough, it becomes a positive feedback loop.  People quit because there's no one to play with because too many people quit.

• VaelgardVaelgard Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Uhh generally ADDING a new server before launch to alleviate super high population issues is a good thing.  The GW2 fanboys are out in force today aren't they.
  • RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

What are you talking about?  Have you seen the queue times of the PvP servers?  Server closures is the last thing you'll be seeing from this game for a while.  

• PraviusPravius Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Thank god they are prepared for a big launch. I play on one of aforementioned servers and last night I actually had a 3 hour queue, I was like 2000 in line... Awesome that this game is taking off so awesome but I do not have 3 hours to just sit around and wait with working full time, wife, kids, etc.
  • corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

lol  

Tera is cancelled!  failed before it even launched!

(this is sarcasm btw, i'm a Tera fan for the time being, and have been logging in quite a few hours)

this transfer is because the servers are so damn busy, even BEFORE the full release.  

guess we must have a lot of Koreans in N. America according to the naysayers.  because of COURSE everyone else supposedly  hates Korean games!  lol

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    They weren't very smart in choosing what types of servers to open when the beta / games pre launch happened. they have something like 5 pve servers and 3 pvp servers, or more pve, I'm not sure. Basically what happened was, it started out with one of the pvp servers having a queue upwards of 3 hours, then people flooded into my server, Jagged Coast, now it has a queue at almost all times of an hour or more, then they flooded into the third pvp server, so now all three of them have queues. It's because they probably didn't expect as many people to accept open pvp, and the players did. So now they have a few pve servers with medium populations on each, and 3 full pvp servers.
  • glissonglisson Member Posts: 30
    They had 7 pve and 3 pvp servers because they probably figured more poeple would be playing on the pve side of the game and if you think about with having more than twice as many pve servers and still none of them being low pop there are alot of poeple on them its just alot more poeple choose to play on the pvp servers than they expected. Which is a good sign the game has shown alot of growth as long as they continue to update and get battlegrounds and other content updates in poeple will stay subbed for awhile.
  • InSpectreInSpectre Member UncommonPosts: 42

I know many guilds started on PVE servers in closed beta to try out the content and said they were going to PvP in retail. Closed beta might have skewed the numbers a bit regarding what type of servers folks would end up on because of that.

IMHO En Masse has been unbelivably responsive. One day after the queues hit large numbers they fired up an easy server transfer system, and then opened another PvP server.

Opening up another server is pretty easy, but getting server transfers going so fast kind of blew my mind, and it's not even offically at launch yet.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

Have to say this absolutely BRILLIANT.

Free server transfers once a day at launch will do a lot to help alleviate server stress and server queues.

Your server has a 2 hour long queue? No problem! Just server transfer to a low population server and continue playing.

Oh, but your preferred server is no longer full the next day? No problem! Transfer back.

This strategy is a lot better than the typical "open up way more servers than you need post launch and end up having to close all them down 6 months afterwards".

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34