Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do about the toxic communities in game's today?

DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

As someone who has been playing League of Legends for a few years, among other MMOG's, i'm gettin concerned.. the communities are degradating so fast... and the mods seem to be going after the wrong people....

This articles makes me think... What do we do about it as the community? Can we do anything? 

http://www.examiner.com/article/vile-online-communities-the-who-and-why

I'm not sure, ~ Yeah we could stop raging, and try to ignore them, but would that work? Would they just stop, give up, and go away?

Comments

• wartyxwtwartyxwt Member Posts: 172
    I only ever play with a guild so I have generally speaking 0 interaction with communities wherever possible. Sometimes you have to grin and bare it though!
  • DivionDivion Member UncommonPosts: 411

Originally posted by wartyxwt

I only ever play with a guild so I have generally speaking 0 interaction with communities wherever possible. Sometimes you have to grin and bare it though!

Yeah you could do that.. but then it's no-longer a MMO - You are not longer interacting with the massive multiplayer aspect, at that point, it's just an online-game..

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Interesting read...

But the terms mentioned get thrown around so much that the line between them has blurred. Now people pretty much call you all three just for the sake of conflict or if you disagree with their stance and go as far as to back your statements up with rebuttal. Just responding to an attack directed at you could get you a "rager" label..

It will not stop and will probably just get worse over time..

It is up to the user to strengthen his emotions and sharpen his mind to simply ignore the assailant or push back in a way that doesn't bring about rage, but comedical comebacks..

Else?

Grab a gun and go on a manhunt.. Enough examples with clear motives could bring about change.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Leave. If you don't like it block/ignore/report and or logout.

Do you go to the local mall and stop every group of teenagers you see/hear make rude comments or jestures? Or adults for that matter.

Originally posted by Vyeth

Interesting read...

But the terms mentioned get thrown around so much that the line between them has blurred. Now people pretty much call you all three just for the sake of conflict or if you disagree with their stance and go as far as to back your statements up with rebuttal. Just responding to an attack directed at you could get you a "rager" label..

It is up to the user to strengthen his emotions and sharpen his mind to simply ignore the assailant or push back in a way that doesn't bring about rage, but comedical comebacks..

Else?

Grab a gun and go on a manhunt.. Enough examples with clear motives could bring about change.

I just don't understand why it's getting worse... we have had MMOG's since the 90s ~ Why the sudden turn in quality fo gamer... sure there were trolls back then.. maybe just less creative.. who's to blame.. the companies for giving them a stage, or the victims for allowing to be a target.. 

You have some good points, and i agree ~

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Generous use of /ignore. Turn General chat off.
  • FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141

Read cuz its not a GW2 thread.

You can't beat the horrible communities. LOL is the shining example of what is wrong with gamers today. I played LOL from launch for 2 years, had 2 accounts and was very good at it. The putrid cesspool the community had becom became intolerable for me so I quit. Fighting it is useless as the good trying to do the right always lose. The troll bandwagon appears to be much larger then the non troll bandwagon, and when they all get on it, it was us who paid. 

Originally posted by Four0Six

Leave. If you don't like it block/ignore/report and or logout.

Do you go to the local mall and stop every group of teenagers you see/hear make rude comments or jestures? Or adults for that matter.

Well.. i'm a 260 bodybuilder (Don't troll me T.T), with some rather large arms, and i always have angry man face because i work in Law Enforcement, i rarily get trolled in real life.. Why? becuase there are physical results to their actions.. and yes if an adult gave me shit in real life, things would get rather enjoyable for me rather fast :)

The internet doesn't allow that... and logging out just lets them win ~ Why should i stop playing a game i purchased because you are trolling me?

Some games blocking does nothing...

League of Legends? One of the worst communities out there.. every game has 6-10 players, every game has trolls, if i block 3 this game, there will be 3 new one's next game... 

Is it really that hopeless? Reporting does nothing, see above.

Maybe if the Devs/Mods would help educate their communities on Anti-Trolls behavior (i.E. not raging "Feeding" trolls), or at the very least had GM's that were in game, monitoring chat 24/7.... but that would cut into their profits.. and they don't care about anything that might hurt their fiscal reports :(

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Online gaming has been invaded by the masses. It was inevitable and is irreversible.

The masses are uneducated and egocentric. Give them impunity through anonymity and you end but with this.

Nothing can be done to change the trend, it will only get worse as the "troll" behavior becomes the norm.

As a previous proster said, the only thing you can do about it is isolate yourself from the masses by playing with a small group of friends. This completely defeats the purpose of playing MMOs and is why I've quit online gaming for good.

All is good though, real life is the best MMORPG out there anyways and it's F2P.

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Actually its very easy to solve.

Tera has a politics system where a couple of handful of guild leaders can either be voted in to special positions which give special benefity by the community or force their way in via PvP.

This game is all about playing and building bridges, theres even a block list with a note system so you can say why you blocked them on your list (for yourself).

If people behave like ass hats there are consequences for them and their guild.

By putting player made systems in the game you solve the bulk of this issue.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Wicoa

Tera has a politics system where a couple of handful of guild leaders can either be voted in to special positions which give special benefity by the community or force their way in via PvP.

This game is all about playing and building bridges, theres even a block list with a note system so you can say why you blocked them on your list (for yourself).

Yes except when the majority are asshats then it's you, the one trying to behave decently, that gets shafted.

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

It's all about anonymity.

They proliferate in any game where you do not have to give your credit card details, not that they don't exist in others.

I have experienced it in games that have switched to F2P, where beforehand the community was pretty decent.

With no fear of losing their account/money and in most cases, not even having provided their address details, some people like to take advantage of the situation and act like morons.

You'll mostly find these people in the lower level chat channels because lets face it, once they have invested time in the game, they then start to fear the ban.

Seems a simple thing to remedy at least to some degree.

• Give newbies very limited access to chat channels.

• Enforce the use of a valid credit card and address, even if the game is free.

I don't see why low level chat channels can't be moderated more than they are. I'm sure games would attract more actual players if they weren't subjected to some of the idiots I have come across in many games.

Originally posted by Charas

Yes except when the majority are asshats then it's you, the one trying to behave decently, that gets shafted.

I dont find the majority of people in P2P games to be Asshats.  Though I find it in the majority of F2P games.

One other point, I play a fair few FPS titles and I find one or two people perhaps a night/few days to be asshats.  Ass hat'edry seems to be more prevelant in MMORPGS and in particular F2P MMORPGS.  Its why I stay away from them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Charas

I understand your pain, and no, TERA hasn't solved the problem.

In fact, yesterday after witnessing a couple of people bicker viciously at each other over a simple dungeon wipe, I walked over to the living room and told my son we never should have let his generation start playing MMO's.  image  (he was perplexed).

But it's true, "back in the day" if a party wiped in dungeon (even in WOW) players would pick themselves up off the floor and do it again, usually laughing about the mistakes that might have been made.

Now days after a wipe the accusations fly freely, with names such as NOOB tossed back and forth, its surprising anything gets done anymore. 

It seems that anything that might interfere with "progression" is to be scorned, mocked and eschewed at all cost.

We used to run these dungeons for fun as well as profit, no longer seem to be the case anymore.

Later on I saw some players bemoaning a lack of tanks / healers in game (as is typcial) and it isn't really because there aren't enough (stats collected by enMasse prove there are) it really boils down (I believe) to the fact random grouping is so unpleasant the tanks/healers don't bother to run it more than a time or two.

There's no real need to as you can easily solo quests or join a small group of friends running BAM's and leave all the ill tempered folks behind.

I  can't say I have a solution either, certainly there are no easy ones.

I think until we find a way to make players very dependent on the good will of others in game in order to effectively progress (and provide the means for the community to punish bad behavior) we're pretty much stuck for now.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

I agree tera doesnt solve it completely but games are beginning to develop responsibility systems which I find encouraging.

To the healer and tank issue on the EU there seem to be plenty but its also worth nothing most tanks and healers are possibly in guilds running with their guildies.

I think playing with your friends or in a like minded guild is the best bet.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Kyleran

I think until we find a way to make players very dependent on the good will of others in game in order to effectively progress (and provide the means for the community to punish bad behavior) we're pretty much stuck for now.

To do this you need to require grouping & not have instances (so people have to interact with other people and not just hang out in their own little bubble), Also pvp helps. Peer Pressure in game along with enforceable consequences (ie not getting groups, getting your guild in involved in a guild war for being a social deviant etc) is the best enforcer of good social behaviors.

But then you have EQ on Rallos Zek (amazing how the solution to this problem existed about 13 years ago.....)

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by OberanMiM

To do this you need to require grouping & not have instances (so people have to interact with other people and not just hang out in their own little bubble), Also pvp helps. Peer Pressure in game along with enforceable consequences (ie not getting groups, getting your guild in involved in a guild war for being a social deviant etc) is the best enforcer of good social behaviors.

But then you have EQ on Rallos Zek (amazing how the solution to this problem existed about 13 years ago.....)

In SWG we had a player bounty system.  On my server (eclipse 4tw!) certain asshats were out of control.  In addition to the in game bounty system, other players put even larger prices on their head.  Got to the point where one individual couldn't even login without having half the server trying to collect the 5 million credit price on his head.  Did the same thing with people who were exploiting.  Even if they were from my own guild.  The message got around fast, and for the most part, we dealt with honorable people.

If  I  did something like that in todays games, I'd be banned for "griefing" the individual.   People expect the GM's to handle this, when the problem really is well beyond their scope.  Let the players start policing their own.  Even the worst offenders tend to have only a few asshats ruining it for everyone else.  Give us the tools to make them very uncomfortable.

So I second what is said here.

The early days of Everquest had nearlly no troll/grienfers for a few simple reasons ~ Most classes were forced to group, regardless of level, progression was very group-dependant, even if you were one of those classes that could solo (Druids, Necs, Wiz, Mag, SK), you still needed things from other players, buffs, teleports, ect ~ If you were an asshat, noone would be there for you, and if anything else, corpse run ? need someone to drag your body? what a ressurection (VERY Valuable) Better not be an asshat :)

Not to mention the economey was fully player driven, asshats could not sell or buy wares... it was very effective, but like all good things bore in Everquest, they were wiped out by WoW :( and the birth of "Barren''s chat". 

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Divion

The early days of Everquest had nearlly no troll/grienfers for a few simple reasons ~ Most classes were forced to group, regardless of level, progression was very group-dependant, even if you were one of those classes that could solo (Druids, Necs, Wiz, Mag, SK), you still needed things from other players, buffs, teleports, ect ~ If you were an asshat, noone would be there for you, and if anything else, corpse run ? need someone to drag your body? what a ressurection (VERY Valuable) Better not be an asshat :)

Not to mention the economey was fully player driven, asshats could not sell or buy wares... it was very effective, but like all good things bore in Everquest, they were wiped out by WoW :( and the birth of "Barren''s chat". 

Fansy the Famous Bard is one of the most prolific trolls/griefers that I know of.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Zookz1

Fansy the Famous Bard is one of the most prolific trolls/griefers that I know of.

Except in the early days of EQ there was no immunity from pvp for 6 and under (they implemented that several years later). So fansy would have been corpse camped to no end on Rallos Zek in the beginning.. But if i remember right fansy was on a teams server which has its own set of flaws (mainly the inability to do much about the social deviants in your own faction)

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Vyeth

Interesting read...

Else?

I just don't understand why it's getting worse... we have had MMOG's since the 90s ~ Why the sudden turn in quality fo gamer... sure there were trolls back then.. maybe just less creative.. who's to blame.. the companies for giving them a stage, or the victims for allowing to be a target.. 

You have some good points, and i agree ~

The Why is easy, times have changed and internet became mainstream.

Other then that I threat ingame players the same as rl people, ignore those who I can't stand.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620

Coming from someone who played Everquest in 1999, communities sucked back then to.  Sure, you didn't have as much of the spamming general chat with whatever the 1999 equivalent of Chuck Norris jokes was (though some low level popular zones like Oasis and Lake of Ill Omen could have quite annoying /ooc chat), you still had people that would do any or all of the following to annoy you:

1. Kill steal.

2. Camp steal.

3. Train.

4. Ninja loot.

5. Kill progression mobs they didn't need just to keep other people from advancing.

Granted, the fact that there was no instancing, no server transfers, no name changes, and no cross server anything, combined with the fact that soloing wasn't possible for most classes, did give some incentives for people to be civil, but it certainly didn't stop a lot of people from being complete toolbags.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by wartyxwt

Yeah you could do that.. but then it's no-longer a MMO - You are not longer interacting with the massive multiplayer aspect, at that point, it's just an online-game..

That's like saying Atlanta is just a village because i only hang out with my co-workers when I'm there, or that the NY Thanksgiving Day parade is tiny because I'm only talking to my friends and not the 200k people around me.

Most people play MMOs to play with family and friends. They aren't there to become mayor. That doesn't make the game any less massively multiplayer.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It seems that anything that might interfere with "progression" is to be scorned, mocked and eschewed at all cost.

UO learned that a decade ago when they introduced Power Hour, a feature that made one hour a day an accelerated skill gain hour for each player. People would see their timer pop and stop in the middle of whatever they were doing to not miss out on the hour. It was so detrimental to community and player interaction that they removed it.

It's even worse now, where you have an entire website devoted to MMORPGs and maybe one out of a thousand threads is actually related to social interaction or community activity. And, no, "group vs solo" has nothing to do with socializing or community. Progression and 'endgame' are the primary interests and actual interaction with others is a distant fourth or fifth from those.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre