Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoH "Dead Zones"

mr.joshuamr.joshua Member Posts: 2

Some zones are always full no matter what side your on, Red Or Blue.  Other zones have ahad their glory days, and now sit empty, or barely visited by a few die hards.  "Street Sweeping" in Perez used to be a quick way for lvling and a few badges.  The Hollows were a pain for travel, but a great way to lvl or find a team.  Skyway was fun for battling Supa Trolls, and Boomtown...  well.  But now with so many zones, there are those who sit empty more than others.  Here are my top 5 most empty/useless zones not in any particular order. 

1.  Boomtown

2. Firebase Zulu

3. Eden

4. Perez Park

5.  Faultline/The Hollows  (I couldn't decide.)

Comments

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284

Don't forget First Ward. And they're adding yet another zone in Issue 23. This game doesn't need any more zones.

P.S. Oh heck, let's just add the whole of Praetoria to the list. Cool zones that nobody plays in.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Pretty much every zone I go to is "dead", save Atlas.

Then again, the busiest server I play on is Champion, which is like the 8th most popular. But I made a mistake of picking Defiant when I first started playing and sometimes, at least according to search, there will be less than 15 people playing (blue side) and single digits (red).

Okay, I guess some people are hidden

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Pretty much every zone I go to is "dead", save Atlas.

Then again, the busiest server I play on is Champion, which is like the 8th most popular. But I made a mistake of picking Defiant when I first started playing and sometimes, at least according to search, there will be less than 15 people playing (blue side) and single digits (red).

Okay, I guess some people are hidden

Talos, Peragrine, and of course Dark Astoria always seem to have a good number of people in them. At least, on Virtue anyways.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

Don't forget Strigia and Croatoa.

Love both those zones.  They're put together nicely, but nobody wants to play in them.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by mr.joshua

Some zones are always full no matter what side your on, Red Or Blue.  Other zones have ahad their glory days, and now sit empty, or barely visited by a few die hards.  "Street Sweeping" in Perez used to be a quick way for lvling and a few badges.  The Hollows were a pain for travel, but a great way to lvl or find a team.  Skyway was fun for battling Supa Trolls, and Boomtown...  well.  But now with so many zones, there are those who sit empty more than others.  Here are my top 5 most empty/useless zones not in any particular order. 

1.  Boomtown

2. Firebase Zulu

3. Eden

4. Perez Park

5.  Faultline/The Hollows  (I couldn't decide.)

How times have changed.  When I played years ago Perez Park was always busy.  If I remember correctly everybody was sent there for a few missions.

Boomtown was a favorite of mine too.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• Sugoi-chanSugoi-chan Member UncommonPosts: 15

There are a few reasons I can think of offhand that cause many of the zones to seem deserted.

A) Instanced missions - When CoX decided to decrease the amount of debt (by half) incurred while dying inside of instanced mission runs, it killed the old playing style of street sweeping, and thereby reducing the active area populations. Why fight area mobs that could kill you and give you twice the debt? People only go to most areas simply to get to a mission and then head back out again.

B) AE / Farming - Why should you leave Atlas Park when you can get to 50 in a few hours by paying or begging for Power Levelling.  You can have your pizza and level, too!  Of course, most AE Babies have to be guided thru areas that aren't Atlas Park to get to an actual mission team's location. Another fun side effect of this method of leveling is that you end up with 50 level players who have no idea how to enhance their powers effectively or develop knowledge of team battle tactics involved in their powers usage.

C) Travel Powers - Unlike the days where you had to travel thru zones to get to another section of town (for a long time, there were two totally seperate Tram lines) so you had to go thru connecting zones to get from one cluster of zones to another.  No Ourosboro gates, No TUNNEL connection, No Mission Teleporter powers, etc.  Ah, the glory days of the Taxi Corps!

Half of the game used to be knowing which connection links would get you from Zone A to Zone B.  Now, just click a button and you're there, and in some cases, dragging your teammates along with you!  I must admit I like the convienence of the means added, but it has come with a price in the game's living environment in many cases.

Now "Go. Hunt. Kill Skuls."

Feel free to play how you like and where you like, as long as you kids STAY OFF MY LAWN!  (grin)

• OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Originally posted by Beatnik59

Don't forget Strigia and Croatoa.

Love both those zones.  They're put together nicely, but nobody wants to play in them.

Croatoa is full of some of the most maddening content you'll experience in the game. That's why people avoid it. Striga lacks critical zone features so it becomes a schlep just to sell your stuff and other necessities like every other zone in the game allows.