Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need a new game! - Huey Lewis and the News

ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

LOL! I know MMORPG.com gets this a lot. Heck I have been a member here since 2006. I played Ultima Online from Nov 1997 until around 2003.  I played Star Wars Galaxies from about 2002 until 2005. I have been playing City of Heroes since about 2007. I am not going to cancel my COH account, just because my 7 yr old daughter and I play it when I have her.

We have tried Age of Conan, D&D, Vanguard, Eve, EQ2, and a few others.

What offers the most fun after the trial period? We've played Age of Conan a whole lot but we never made it off of the newbie island.

I haven't really given the others a fair chance.

Btw, all of you Eve lovers??? I absolutely loved Wing Commander: Privateer, and I bet you did too. My problem with Eve is that the controls absolutely SUCK! I mean, why is the navigation so stupid? Sure, I could learn to get used to it, but by the time that I do I am already attempting another game. It has absolutely beautiful graphics and I have a cousin that plays it and says it is the closest to open PvP since the first years of UO. I find that appealing. However, once again, whoever wrote and programmed the control settings was either in a hurry or on LSD.

What game is worth my $15 a month?

Comments

• Crunchy221Crunchy221 Member Posts: 489

Originally posted by ixontes

LOL! I know MMORPG.com gets this a lot. Heck I have been a member here since 2006. I played Ultima Online from Nov 1997 until around 2003.  I played Star Wars Galaxies from about 2002 until 2005. I have been playing City of Heroes since about 2007. I am not going to cancel my COH account, just because my 7 yr old daughter and I play it when I have her.

We have tried Age of Conan, D&D, Vanguard, Eve, EQ2, and a few others.

What offers the most fun after the trial period? We've played Age of Conan a whole lot but we never made it off of the newbie island.

I haven't really given the others a fair chance.

Btw, all of you Eve lovers??? I absolutely loved Wing Commander: Privateer, and I bet you did too. My problem with Eve is that the controls absolutely SUCK! I mean, why is the navigation so stupid? Sure, I could learn to get used to it, but by the time that I do I am already attempting another game. It has absolutely beautiful graphics and I have a cousin that plays it and says it is the closest to open PvP since the first years of UO. I find that appealing. However, once again, whoever wrote and programmed the control settings was either in a hurry or on LSD.

What game is worth my $15 a month?

This is a question only you can answer.  Before this turns into a flame war against people rooting for diffrent games...i would suggest looking at a game, seeing if it looks interesting, then taking a blind jump into it.  The only way you will know if a game is worth your money is to actually play it.  No one will be able to tell you the specific game they enjoy is going to be what you like.

Mabey look into what games you have enjoyed, figure out what "type" of mmorpg it is, then try to find other games that follow its design.  I noticed you played eve thinking it was going to be a wingcommander flight/action game when its more of a long term high strategy game....

Knowing what types of games you like is a huge advantage, if you like themeparks with instanced pvp or if you like sandboxes that require a lot of planning or thought will prevent you from downloading and potenitally buying a game that you were never going to like to begin with.

The only game thats somewhat similair to UO is Darkfall, but darkfall is like ld UO (pre trammel) only everyone is a criminal so its diffrent like that.  Very much a pre trammel UO where everyone is a criminal and it has shooter game targeting. Adult community not kid friendly either. Small community a new version of the game comming in the future. Ryzom is another sandbox game, old and small in community.  Sandboxes ( games like old UO) are very hard to come by these days.

• silverseed71silverseed71 Member Posts: 38
    I am downloading Darkfall right now. UO pre-trammel was AWESOME. MMORPG's have made things too easy these days.  I remember a house being "condemned" in UO and I macroed placing a house there. I checked the next day and I was dead. I lost everything on me, but I had me a house on the road NE from the city of Britian! Awesome times with MMO's!