Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iam at the point, where I would actually like a Healer profession

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Wow, so much die and revive. Some attacks simply can't be avoided without being shut down.

a healing class would be nice. The AoE here is crazy. 

I had asked this question in the game, and got lots of agreement .

what about you all?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

No, then you change the game, it is what it is....

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Had to say no on this one. Been playing a mesmer, and yeah... got splatted a lot initially. But, having a better feel for it, having skills open up, moving a lot more, dodging... it's all playing a part in turning things around. I think patience and time will serve better than having someone handling your healing for you.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    Absolutely not. *if* you know how to play, especially know how to dance between playing defensively and offensively, you won't die. Period.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

I'd say no for the simple fact that

No dedicated healer = more deaths

More deaths = more "Fight to Survive" animations

More "Fight to Survive" animations = more laughter for me.  Seriously, what is that?  It looks like you are picking up dirt and throwing it in order to survive.  Dumbest thing I've ever seen, but it gives me a great chuckle every time I see it.  

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629
    Without healers, PVP instantly turns into a DPS button mashing tunnel visioned clusterfuck, so yes, I'd like to see a healer class.
  • dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I love playing healers. Makes me sad that this game ignores my favorite playstyle.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• AzureblazeAzureblaze Member UncommonPosts: 130

I started up a Guardian and looked at a lot of their skills and slot skills..they actually have quite a few group heals, even an AOE frontal cone. How effective it would actually be on a group , as in enough to make a difference to save your arse? Can't say.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Azureblaze

I started up a Guardian and looked at a lot of their skills and slot skills..they actually have quite a few group heals, even an AOE frontal cone. How effective it would actually be on a group , as in enough to make a difference to save your arse? Can't say.

Iam playing Melee guardian, and we are getting creamed by unavoidable AoE. Heals from AoE guards  don't do a thing to counter the AoE that is going on. Sure others agree by now.

• IzkimarIzkimar Member UncommonPosts: 568
    No not at all, this game's balance is so much better without a healer.  If you know how to play and make builds, you can actually avoid a lot of damage and there are even really good support builds to help with team sustain.  I really love going into a fight and now complaining that we lost because we didn't have enough healers.  I don't want that back.  Today, me and my guild won some fights in WvW with our small group of 5-6 against zergs, did we need healers?  No, we just supported each other properly, and stayed coordinated. 

Originally posted by WardTheGreat

No not at all, this game's balance is so much better without a healer.  If you know how to play and make builds, you can actually avoid a lot of damage and there are even really good support builds to help with team sustain.  I really love going into a fight and now complaining that we lost because we didn't have enough healers.  I don't want that back.  Today, me and my guild won some fights in WvW with our small group of 5-6 against zergs, did we need healers?  No, we just supported each other properly, and stayed coordinated. 

Not really. Replace healers with ranged fighters and you have the same situation.  

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

NO HEALERS !!!!! For once can we have a game thats different !!!!

There 30345983590358034583405034058340583405834905234235345347857345873485 MMOs out there with healers. FFS lets have one break the mold and do something new

The point of this game is to avoid damage, knowing when to dogde, when to roll , when to interupt ect......

you cant just hit 1-2-3 over and over and win in this game , thats the point.

AS far as healers for PVP no thanks, nothinng dumber then a guy who can heal someone quicker then 2-3 ppl can dps , remember the days in WOW where I could just Hot myself up and a single player could never kill me , thats just dumb. Espcially when you can kill a player with just thorns on.

I think its way too early for people to judge how this game is balanced, once ppl learn to play GW2 they will probably realize its not that hard to survive sans healer.

• RebelScum99RebelScum99 Member Posts: 1,090

Originally posted by Entropy14

NO HEALERS !!!!! For once can we have a game thats different !!!!

There 30345983590358034583405034058340583405834905234235345347857345873485 MMOs out there with healers. FFS lets have one break the mold and do something new

The point of this game is to avoid damage, knowing when to dogde, when to roll , when to interupt ect......

you cant just hit 1-2-3 over and over and win in this game , thats the point.

There are games out right now that already have the kind of combat in which it is up to you to mitigate and avoid your own damage, and yet they still have healers as well.  So GW2 isn't doing anything earth-shattering here aside from removing a class archetype that a lot of people enjoy playing. 

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

No, I would not like healers.

(For the same reason I don't want healers in Diablo 3.)

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by star

Absolutely not. *if* you know how to play, especially know how to dance between playing defensively and offensively, you won't die. Period.

Not true at all. I'm on the side of not wanting healers, but you'll still die even if you play very well. I've been playing the theif(currently level 12) and I certainly know how to dance between offensive and defensive, but there are only so many things you can avoid for so long. I like to death lotus then switch to the short bow and use poison, repeat as I get enough initiative/it seems safe. I still die from multiple enemies targeting me at once, instant-ko attacks that don't have a warning, huge AOE's, etc. It isn't like your health goes down slowly and you can get out when things get iffy, you get hit for huge chunks of health and in 1 second it goes from being on top of the world to "Oh god! I'm gonna die!".

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629
    I think having healers makes PVP more strategic. There's more things to think about for the entire team with healers. When to CC, who to CC, who to focus, do I need to peel etc. Right now, you call focus targets and whoever is on the receiving end explodes. There's really no amount of peels that is going to save someone from focused DPS in this game, and I think it takes away from team play.
  • starstar Member Posts: 1,101
    No, you're right. There definitely should be a caveat/disclaimer in my post, hah: does not pertain to getting jumped by 4+ opponents, bosses, or overzealous thieves :P

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

They are still tweaking the game. During one of the previous beta tests, players complained that the mobs and the events were too easy, so ANet made them harder. Some of them, like the that shaman in the charr zone are too hard. He can literally 1 shot you. I like the challenge in a lot of these fights but some of them, like that shaman or when you get focused by 3+ mobs are pretty unbalanced.

The point is that they will gather the information during these play tests and tweak the game.

• CrunkJuice2CrunkJuice2 Member Posts: 568

"So GW2 isn't doing anything earth-shattering here aside from removing a class archetype that a lot of people enjoy playing. "

i dont know,not to many mmos have had dodge in them

age of conan i guess did,but age of conan was a complete epic failure

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by CrunkJuice2

"So GW2 isn't doing anything earth-shattering here aside from removing a class archetype that a lot of people enjoy playing. "

i dont know,not to many mmos have had dodge in them

age of conan i guess did,but age of conan was a complete epic failure In my opinion

Fixed it for you. You can't speak for everyone.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by Zookz1

I think having healers makes PVP more strategic. There's more things to think about for the entire team with healers. When to CC, who to CC, who to focus, do I need to peel etc. Right now, you call focus targets and whoever is on the receiving end explodes. There's really no amount of peels that is going to save someone from focused DPS in this game, and I think it takes away from team play.

agreed completely

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Originally posted by heartless

The point is that they will gather the information during these play tests and tweak the game.

But it's beta...everything should be fixed already.

I don't know why people can't understand that this game is full of bugs, lag, unbalanced content, etc...

It seems like a lot of people here have never beta tested before doesn't it?

Originally posted by bigsmiff

Originally posted by heartless

But it's beta...everything should be fixed already.

I don't know why people can't understand that this game is full of bugs, lag, unbalanced content, etc...

It seems like a lot of people here have never beta tested before doesn't it?

I have beta tested many MMO. And the "It's only beta" argument has been used each and every time.

Lol, think what you want.  But it is definitely possible to survive and execute strategy without a healer class.  If you make some well balanced builds you can easily live and thrive in combat.  Check out my guild member's stream:  http://www.twitch.tv/erhoben  You will see small groups thrive against many, I'll be playing on here most likely tomorrow, busy tonight.  Just looking at his stream right now I saw a successful 1v3, he is playing as an Engineer. 

• ssupple21ssupple21 Member UncommonPosts: 3

This "Healer" you're talking about is ultimately a support character for their team. So many people think that healing should be only watching green bars and never worrying about doing anything but putting up the green numbers. This game is so much more complex than mash 1 and 2 to keep health bars topped off. It requires a synergy between you and your group mate's ability to use your skills correctly, use your profession correctly, and use the game mechanics correctly. There is a reason that you can evade attacks and positioning is important. If you are dying just questing you are not playing correctly. 

As a side note there are many ways to build a more supportive character to somewhat fill the role of a dedicated healer. As an engineer I have a backpack that allows me to drop Med Kits for people and cleansing vials. I also have a healing turret that provides passive aoe healing. The Necromancer has similar potential with their siphoning health and regeneration boons. The mechanics are in the game to build these types of characters it just takes some creativity. 

Originally posted by ssupple21

This "Healer" you're talking about is ultimately a support character for their team. So many people think that healing should be only watching green bars and never worrying about doing anything but putting up the green numbers. This game is so much more complex than mash 1 and 2 to keep health bars topped off. It requires a synergy between you and your group mate's ability to use your skills correctly, use your profession correctly, and use the game mechanics correctly. There is a reason that you can evade attacks and positioning is important. If you are dying just questing you are not playing correctly. 

As a side note there are many ways to build a more supportive character to somewhat fill the role of a dedicated healer. As an engineer I have a backpack that allows me to drop Med Kits for people and cleansing vials. I also have a healing turret that provides passive aoe healing. The Necromancer has similar potential with their siphoning health and regeneration boons. The mechanics are in the game to build these types of characters it just takes some creativity. 

Very true, albeit the healing is more of a small suppliment rather than large bursts, group sustain is more about helping your team by preventing damage, mitigating it, and controling the battlefield.