Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

All NA Digital Editions SOLD OUT

Comments

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Funny use of words by them. I'd think it impossible to sale out a digital copy. They just turned it off.. lol

Sold out..lol

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Stright off the facebook page

We have sold out of keys for digital distribution in North America. GameStop and Best Buy still have stock available.

We limit sales to ensure we have enough capacity for our customers. We're likely to have capacity available after the initial crunch at the start of the weekend. Players who purchase when we're able to resume digital sales at buy.guildwars2.com will still be able to play for the remainder of the weekend. ~RB2

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • KhetnenKhetnen Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by sanshi44

Originally posted by itgrowls

anyone have the total sales figures for this?

200, 000 people went into the english forums to download the game, +40, 000 on the germen site + 30,000 on french site + all those people who downloaded from leaked client download that came out a few days before the email.

I think a lot of people downloaded it from the link on the official wiki too.

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Originally posted by fiontar

Q. How can they be sold out of a Digital Copy?

A. Easy, they are selling to match the 48 server capacity for this weekend. I personally am very happy they aren't overselling.

Q. How can the retailers still have codes when Arenanet doesn't?

A. Retailer codes are pre-allocated to them in batches. These codes are also likely finite leading up to this weekend, but obviously they can sell out at a different pace than the Arenanet allocation.

Q. Is it possible they could add more capacity for the weekend and re-open Digital pre-purchases in time for the event?

A. Possible, but I wouldn't count on it. :)

• HonnerHonner Member Posts: 504

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by OldManFunk

Originally posted by Cyberdeck7

what a joke.

25 year old game engine

"B2P" = F2P cash shop except , yeah, $60

and now they've run out of bits and bytes

It's not really hard to understand. Players require servers. Only so many servers have been setup. This BWE is only 2 days long. If they didn't stop the preorder sales and had a large number of purchases this weekend then they might run out of server space. Given it takes time to setup and test new servers, the lack of space would result in tons of crying and complaining. So, as you can see, they did the right thing.

Do you expect people to stop their bitching and  moaning to understand your logical point?

I believe there is no way of stfu trolls :D

• illeriller Member UncommonPosts: 517

Originally posted by ItsMeAgain

This weekend will be so awesome, beer and popcorn ready for a weekend of fanboi/hater drama!

weekend drama?  ...haters are going to have to do it alone then b/c the rest of us will be too busy ...  y'know...  PLAYING IT

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

http://www.facebook.com/GuildWars2

EDIT - nevermind info was already posted

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by iller

This weekend will be so awesome, beer and popcorn ready for a weekend of fanboi/hater drama!

weekend drama?  ...haters are going to have to do it alone then b/c the rest of us will be too busy ...  y'know...  PLAYING IT

Indeed

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• joocheesejoocheese Member Posts: 845
    anyone have a good link to download gw2 beta client?
  • RCP_utRCP_ut Member Posts: 263

Originally posted by joocheese

anyone have a good link to download gw2 beta client?

http://cloudfront.guildwars2.com/client/Gw2.exe

Enjoy :)

• sicness277sicness277 Member UncommonPosts: 40

what a joke.

25 year old game engine

It's not really hard to understand. Players require servers. Only so many servers have been setup. This BWE is only 2 days long. If they didn't stop the preorder sales and had a large number of purchases this weekend then they might run out of server space. Given it takes time to setup and test new servers, the lack of space would result in tons of crying and complaining. So, as you can see, they did the right thing.

Or they could simply limit the number of players who are eligible for the current beta due to server size. That's far better than simply cutting off the distribution of your product to people from a marketing stand point. 

Maybe they shouldn't have guaranteed access to all beta weekends for pre-orders. 

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

It's exactly the kind of bull.... that fuels my doubts about GW2 more than any CS concerns ever could. And it's all over GW2 thanks to NCSoft.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Originally posted by Tayah

Originally posted by iller

Indeed

Well I hope at least some of you come on over just for a few minutes and post some threads periodically about what you think of the game.  I havent gotten my pre purchase yet as Im waiting to see more before commiting. 

I know I know.  Will probably be hard to do.   image

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by sicness277

what a joke.

25 year old game engine

Or they could simply limit the number of players who are eligible for the current beta due to server size. That's far better than simply cutting off the distribution of your product to people from a marketing stand point. 

Maybe they shouldn't have guaranteed access to all beta weekends for pre-orders. 

No that's a terrible idea. Limiting it when everyone pays the same $60 would only anger current customers. Potential customers will still be interested in the game come Monday(or sat/sun if they open it up during the weekend) and can buy it then.

The only thing that I see from this is that ArenaNet care about their customers enough to not give them a bad experience for a few more bucks. That's awesome marketing. Unlike the SWTOR debacle where they screwed over customers to get extra pre-orders via their tiered launch.

• sicness277sicness277 Member UncommonPosts: 40

Originally posted by Distaste

what a joke.

25 year old game engine

No that's a terrible idea. Limiting it when everyone pays the same $60 would only anger current customers. Potential customers will still be interested in the game come Monday(or sat/sun if they open it up during the weekend) and can buy it then.

The only thing that I see from this is that ArenaNet care about their customers enough to not give them a bad experience for a few more bucks. That's awesome marketing. Unlike the SWTOR debacle where they screwed over customers to get extra pre-orders via their tiered launch.

I can see why you say it's good for current customers, but again it all leads back to them guaranteeing access to all beta weekends for all pre-orders. Either way it's poor marketing on their behalf that could have easily been circumvented with approrpriate preparation. 

They took the appropriate action for this at the time yes, but this could have easily been prevented and can easily lead to questioning on whether or not they are capable of handling the amount of people interested in this game among other things. 

Also, this is beta, they shouldn't be so concerned about appeasing their customers in beta of all things instead of focusing on other more important things. Then again, as mentioned before, this is more of an advertising beta than testing beta. 

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Arenanet are handling this correctly. There is no real reason to pre-purchase at this point in time unless you want the guaranteed WBE access and as a customer, I'm very appreciative of the fact that they haven't oversold the beta event this weekend.

They have noted on their Facebook page that if they are able to increase capacity once WBE1 starts, they will re-open sales long enougb to fil that capacity. If they do so and you manage to snag a copy, you will be able to participate in the remainder of the beta event, (once you've downloaded the client, of course, so if you are hoping to do so, you might want to DL ahead of time).

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Distaste

what a joke.

25 year old game engine

I can see why you say it's good for current customers, but again it all leads back to them guaranteeing access to all beta weekends for all pre-orders. Either way it's poor marketing on their behalf that could have easily been circumvented with approrpriate preparation. 

They took the appropriate action for this at the time yes, but this could have easily been prevented and can easily lead to questioning on whether or not they are capable of handling the amount of people interested in this game among other things. 

They didn't guarantee access to pre-orders, only pre-purchases. If you pre-purchase, you're guaranteed a spot in the BWE but there is no guarantee that you can always pre-purchase.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

Originally posted by DarkPony

WTF ANET?!

Just when I was finally over the fence and ready to prepurchase the game ...

... not :P

I'll be here on the forums, reading your reviewettes :)

Pony, why sit on the fence? I have an extra beta code if you want it.

Give it to him! He won't be able to resist haha.

You're probably right :)

Just as long as I don't have to prepurchase it.

So yeah, mister Kakkzooka, if you do happen to have a key left I'd gladly take it off your hands.

• EmwynEmwyn Member Posts: 546

Originally posted by Wolvards

Originally posted by Kakkzooka

WTF ANET?!

Just when I was finally over the fence and ready to prepurchase the game ...

... not :P

I'll be here on the forums, reading your reviewettes :)

Pony, why sit on the fence? I have an extra beta code if you want it.

Give it to him! He won't be able to resist haha.

You're probably right :)

Just as long as I don't have to prepurchase it.

So yeah, mister Kakkzooka, if you do happen to have a key left I'd gladly take it off your hands.

think of all the reviewettes you could write image

the poster formerly known as melangel :P

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    I know we will see a lot of praise reviews from the fans, but I would like to see some reviews from the critics as well. That's the best way to make out a full picture of a product

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    That's crazy.  EA told people SWTOR digital sales would be limited but obviously were bluffing.  It shocks me that digital copies have a limited release.  They have the background to make sure tehy can get more servers up and such.  Maybe they are just limiting the number of people for this weekend and will expand sales later.
  • DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

That's crazy.  EA told people SWTOR digital sales would be limited but obviously were bluffing.  It shocks me that digital copies have a limited release.  They have the background to make sure tehy can get more servers up and such.  Maybe they are just limiting the number of people for this weekend and will expand sales later.

They most likely will re-open the sales after this weekend yes :)

• Loser60Loser60 Member Posts: 170

Ho-ho, that's unexpected. 

NIce that they are limiting it for now, don't want servers to get laggy.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918
    Wow! That shows the popularity of the game! Guess they're going to need more servers!
This discussion has been closed.