Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pirates of the burning sea.. Such a fun game!

SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

Anyone who's played EVE online will love this game, it's like eve.. But has pirate ships~

If you join the game, let me know and I'll contact you in game :3 I'm still new to the game, but I'm loving it ^-^ needs more people

Comments

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Yes played it (CB, OB Launch), some of my Guild mates still do...I got tired of it because it lacked depth and insight.

I am enjoying Unchartered Waters Online more (it has its issues too), because it represents the era and setting with much more insight and depth.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • CalfisCalfis Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by Sarariel

Anyone who's played EVE online will love this game, it's like eve.. But has pirate ships~

If you join the game, let me know and I'll contact you in game :3 I'm still new to the game, but I'm loving it ^-^ needs more people

I'm sure in some ways its like EVE and in many ways its unlike EVE. Thanks for the detail comparison tho, based on all the information you have provided, I have decided not to try it. ;)

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

Played the game since early launch for about a little over a year. Solid game that showed early great potential but balancing issues/population led to its decline and current F2P state. Still, had a blast in many a port battles. 

Don't get the comparison to EvE but to each their own bad comparison. image

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• xeniarxeniar Member UncommonPosts: 805

Originally posted by kakasaki

Played the game since early launch for about a little over a year. Solid game that showed early great potential but balancing issues/population led to its decline and current F2P state. Still, had a blast in many a port battles. 

there are so many great mmo's out there wich for one reason or another failed.

POTBS is one. great tactical game fun people and port battles. I alway played on a us server but it was too difficult for me to get on at the right times later on.

another is RF online (playrf.com) yes its a grind character development is slow but done right rewarding. and who does not like a 3way warzone what arenanet is pulling on us right now:)

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

I played the game for a few months after release but it wore thin rather quickly.   I liked the economic parts of it but it quickly became aparent the economics were limited to ships only which led to the 'communist' model becoming superior.   Teh devs really needed to bring out new content areas that would have added more goals to the economy but they failed to deliver.

I was also quite upset by the fact that I was misled by marketing that led me to believe that I could opt out of PvP in the game.  As it turned out the devs cranked up the PvP so much that it became almost impossible to play seriously without flagging yourself for PvP.  The game was just not meant for non-PvP players.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

! Caution:

• Quests are boring and repeat the same areas over and over. You also have to do a ton of them.

• Avatar combat (sword fighting) is awkward and laggy.

• The naval combat engine is worse than in Empire: Total War and ships have only a partial role in that game. Still, that and customizing your ships is the best part of this game.

• Also, the factions are imbalanced population-wise almost throughout all servers last time I checked.

I enjoyed it for a week but by no means it is a "good game": 6 / 10

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Originally posted by Sarariel

Except that PotBS is a lot simpler to jump into, has a lot less depth to the economy, has crafting as only a minor side feature (though it is pretty well done if all you want is a minor side feature), and it's very much a theme park and not sandbox at all.  You go to one quest hub, do a bunch of quests, go to the next quest hub, do a bunch of quests, and so forth.

Uncharted Waters Online is a lot closer to "EVE with pirate ships" than PotBS is.  Not that UWO is terribly close to anything, as Koei institutionally believes in finding complicated ways to do things differently.

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

Originally posted by xeniar

Originally posted by kakasaki

there are so many great mmo's out there wich for one reason or another failed.

POTBS is one. great tactical game fun people and port battles. I alway played on a us server but it was too difficult for me to get on at the right times later on.

another is RF online (playrf.com) yes its a grind character development is slow but done right rewarding. and who does not like a 3way warzone what arenanet is pulling on us right now:)

who killed RF was the own dev by making the game F2P and placing P2W CS, plus making all the others way to get minerals and farm useless, the pvp of this game when it was P2P was nice and even if we lose the chip wars we still could mine minerals for craft and for upgrades, in the new form it impossible if you don't buy from the CS, plus all hacks and bugs issues they never cared to fix killed the game, I still find funny it still have 2 server on the international server, but after all the problem, feh don't even would look at RF again or anything made by CCR ever again

and yes uncharted waters I find better :), find it more fun and even though travels take a hell of time, when you find a trade route you sure get happy :)

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SararielSarariel Member UncommonPosts: 301

I'm saying it's a fun game in my opinion.

[mod edit]

And to get anywhere on UO. You need to spend on average, five hundred quid.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256

the actual ship battles in UO are a complete joke...  they don't even remotely compare to battles in PotBS.  PotBS is just a better game in almost every way.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Torik

I played the game for a few months after release but it wore thin rather quickly.   I liked the economic parts of it but it quickly became aparent the economics were limited to ships only which led to the 'communist' model becoming superior.   Teh devs really needed to bring out new content areas that would have added more goals to the economy but they failed to deliver.

I was also quite upset by the fact that I was misled by marketing that led me to believe that I could opt out of PvP in the game.  As it turned out the devs cranked up the PvP so much that it became almost impossible to play seriously without flagging yourself for PvP.  The game was just not meant for non-PvP players.

And what's interesting is that most people who played in pvp would come with an absolute opposite viewpoint.  If you knew what you were doing, you could sail half the map without ever once getting tagged, even if it was deep in the red zone.  Once a FT in a San Mateo learned the basics, he just wasn't getting caught.

The problem was for those not wanting to do econ, but simply do missions.  A lot of us players had great ideas on what to do, but nothing ever really was done by it.  This was at least before I left.

And while the "closed shop" communist model for building ships was popular, it was by no means the only way to do things.  My business (Ulot's House of Textiles) on Blackbeard proved that.  While ISY on Roberts did the closed loop, they also did considerable business in the open market, and many of them were very rich because of it.  But yeah, they needed more economic sinks.  Port governance just wasn't the sink they thought it would be.  Something like society forts (the idea Temujin championed until he finally left the game) would've been a great addition.

In the end, POTBS had the best combat of any MMO, but there were just certain hurdles they couldn't pass.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I played it in beta and i tryed it again while it went f2p but the lag was a game breaker.

Too bad cause i really liked the game.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Wait! Whats this? Somebody is having fun? SOMEBODY IS HAVING FUN IN A GAME? Op I think you may have the wrong website;)

O.T Glad you are having fun, enjoy it while it lasts. Have had some good times in this one myself.

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by Quirhid

! Caution:

• Quests are boring and repeat the same areas over and over. You also have to do a ton of them.

• Avatar combat (sword fighting) is awkward and laggy.

• The naval combat engine is worse than in Empire: Total War and ships have only a partial role in that game. Still, that and customizing your ships is the best part of this game.

• Also, the factions are imbalanced population-wise almost throughout all servers last time I checked.

I enjoyed it for a week but by no means it is a "good game": 6 / 10

As to the "naval combat engine" what do you mean it was worse than Empire Total War?  I always found the system incredibly responsive for the sailing part.  You just couldn't make mistakes against a skilled group.  And chances are, only playing a week, you didn't get that far into it.

POTBS was very uncompromising.  For the majority of the games length, the "alpha spike" was possible, where 6 people could take you from full armor to dead in one volley, because you got out of position for a split second.  If you sailed properly, you'd avoid that, but very few groups could a) pull off the alpha and b) avoid it themselves.  Some loved that, others hated that.  The devs tried to state it wasn't an issue.

As far as faction imbalance, it meant something, and it didn't.  The Brits were always the most populated nation on every server.  yet they also won the fewest.  The real problem was France and Spain.  One of them tended to dominate RvR, and it was very tough to get both sides best teams playing full-tilt for one entire map.  If you enjoyed RvR, the only nations you could find success were Spain or France.  Rats were absurdly OP, but gimped by the fact that the majority of people playing them were jacksparrow "ARRRR" morons.  Yet if you were in the nation who was "taking a break", yeah, you honestly were screwed.  That and the proliferation of cross-teaming (one person engaging in pvp/rvr on multiple nations), while leading to an increase in pvp for those individuals, probably destroyed any semblance of rvr.  that and the closing of Blackbeard led to me (Ulot) leaving the game.  Antigua was cool, but it just didn't have the swagger of Blackbeard.  I was one of those people who gave BB the reputation of "after they sink your ship, they devour your soul and s**t on your remains."  Once again, some people loved that type of risk centered pvp, others were abhorred by it.  The game was what it was.