Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Torchlight 2: Now Available for PrePurchase on Steam

13»

Comments

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by Ezhae

Originally posted by wrightstuf

holy cow, i havent played torchlight, but from the screens, the artwork looks identical to WoW. I see it also plays just like Diablo.

I've seen games that were clones of a game, but this is the first time i've seen a clone of 2 games! lol. They should rename it "World of Diablocraft"

I'll prob pick it up for 20 bucks tho, if the reviews are favorable once it goes live.

It's done by ex Blizzard North guys who actually made Diablo 1 and 2...as opposed to the team working on Diablo 3.  So in a way it's more Diablo than Diablo :P 

And TL2's music is being made by the same composer and orchistra that did the music for D1, D2+exp. May not seem like much, but I always thought the music added a lot to the atmosphere of D1/2.

• gizmovisiongizmovision Member UncommonPosts: 16
    My brother gifted me Torchlight one tonight. I've been playing for 3 hours... its what diablo should be. can't wait til Torchlight two comes out co-op will be real fun!
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by fivoroth

If there is no closed servers the multiplayer will be crap.

Apparently they are not going to run Runic servers ala Diablo.  I understand why, but that is a major issue when it comes to legit online play.

Originally posted by HurricanePip

I'm confused ... TL2  is only $20 and D3 is $60+?  I thought they were games that would be directly competing with each other?

There's no comparison between them.  There's a reason the game is only $20. 

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I'm confused ... TL2  is only $20 and D3 is $60+?  I thought they were games that would be directly competing with each other?

can you please explain what the difference is please cos i am interested in T2

Originally posted by kevjards

If you want to buy both D3 and TL2 or If you know you don't want to buy D3 but are interested in TL2, then TL2 and TL for $20 is a good deal especially if you never played TL1.

I felt ripped off buying TL.  I got 37 hours out of it, according to Steam, and never went back. $20 is a good deal by console game standards, but I'm careful about the games I buy and try to get 100's of hours out of them. 

There's no way that TL2 will have anywhere near the depth or content of D3 and it won't have servers run by runic.  That means anyone can edit their characters, once someone creates an editor, and give them any items they want.  Those items just have to be acceptable to the TL2 client.  TL2 will certainly be a major upgrade from TL1, simply due to multiplayer.  But don't expect a BNET or full D3 like experience or support.  Runics main goal is to release a Torchlight MMO.  If they felt TL2 was worthy of a higher price tag I'm sure tehy would set the cost higher.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by kevjards

If you want to buy both D3 and TL2 or If you know you don't want to buy D3 but are interested in TL2, then TL2 and TL for $20 is a good deal especially if you never played TL1.

I felt ripped off buying TL.  I got 37 hours out of it, according to Steam, and never went back. $20 is a good deal by console game standards, but I'm careful about the games I buy and try to get 100's of hours out of them. 

There's no way that TL2 will have anywhere near the depth or content of D3 and it won't have servers run by runic.  That means anyone can edit their characters, once someone creates an editor, and give them any items they want.  Those items just have to be acceptable to the TL2 client.  TL2 will certainly be a major upgrade from TL1, simply due to multiplayer.  But don't expect a BNET or full D3 like experience or support.  Runics main goal is to release a Torchlight MMO.

This. However, I don't have unrealistic expectations that every game I buy will last me for 100 hours. For 15 pounds you get Torchligh 1 and Torchlight 2 which is a huge bargain imo. I mean Torchlight 1 is 12.99 so for an extra 2 quid you get TL2 too. 37 hours for a game which costs 12.99 is a good value for money. Not every game has the longetivity of games like TES, NWN and Diablo.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by fivoroth

If there is no closed servers the multiplayer will be crap.

Apparently they are not going to run Runic servers ala Diablo.  I understand why, but that is a major issue when it comes to legit online play.

They are actively encouraging modders as they did with TL1. They also hope to eventually provide private server support as well as ad hoc hook ups. Presumably they will provide tools to let you only join un modded games and alow hosts to list the mods in play. Of course there will be arse hats but any online activity has them, just move on (like partying in a regular MMO). If they can provide a framework like Neverwinter Nights (the first one of course) they will have a run away success though I think they will only have ad hoc hook ups at launch hoping for private server support later.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

I'm excited, but I really want to know more about the game before I get this.

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman