Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Leaving...for personal reasons.

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I'm an older gamer who loves MMOs and has played just about every one worth playing for the last 15 years.

But I have to admit that lately my attention span with new MMOs has gotten progressively shorter. There is innovation in new releases and those are fun to experience, But ultimately, the lasting appeal of an MMO has nothing to do with the fluff and window dressing and everything to do with game play mechanics and the repeatability of content.

Unlike others here I have nothing particularly negative or derogatory to say about BW or EA (although my son did work for EA for a while and I have lots of negatives to say about the company's business practices...not relevant here though.)

BW followed the tried and true theme park formula and crafted superior stories with great cut-scenes and voice acting. Of these, the "possession" at the end of the Inquisitor Act 1 was by far my favorite...if you know what I mean :)  They should be given credit for this and I did enjoy this better way of facilitating immersion...kudos to them.

I leveled 2 characters to 50 and have many others in the 30s and 40s... but now I'm played out. I log in out of habit and only because I got a free month that will end my stay next month instead of this week.

What would have kept me longer? World PVP. There is nothing that keeps me coming back for more than that. It's fun, fluid and never the same twice. There is nothing else at "end game" that is like that. I've never enjoyed the choreography of raiding nor the instant gratification of canned warzone scenarios.

So why did I try SWTOR knowing it was mostly PVE oriented? Two reasons: because it was new and I like to try them all and because there was a hint of WPVP there in Ilium. Sadly Ilium was not well implemented, was made worse when tweaked and there doesn't seem to be any hope for significant fixes there for months to come.

So off I go to try Tera and The Secret World while waiting for what I'm really excited about: GW WvWvW. Who knows, if BW ever gets their s--t together about WPVP I'll probably re-sub to check it out.

I wanted to write this just to let others know that there are many of us who are drifting away from TOR without hate or drama... just because.

And if you haven't played TOR, don't hessitate to give it a try. Imho, $90 for 3 months of fun is not a bad investment. I can easily spend twice that on a typical dinner + movie date... often with much less enjoyment :)

Peace and out.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• raistlinmraistlinm Member Posts: 673

Originally posted by Iselin

I'm an older gamer who loves MMOs and has played just about every one worth playing for the last 15 years.

But I have to admit that lately my attention span with new MMOs has gotten progressively shorter. There is innovation in new releases and those are fun to experience, But ultimately, the lasting appeal of an MMO has nothing to do with the fluff and window dressing and everything to do with game play mechanics and the repeatability of content.

Unlike others here I have nothing particularly negative or derogatory to say about BW or EA (although my son did work for EA for a while and I have lots of negatives to say about the company's business practices...not relevant here though.)

BW followed the tried and true theme park formula and crafted superior stories with great cut-scenes and voice acting. Of these, the "possession" at the end of the Inquisitor Act 1 was by far my favorite...if you know what I mean :)  They should be given credit for this and I did enjoy this better way of facilitating immersion...kudos to them.

I leveled 2 characters to 50 and have many others in the 30s and 40s... but now I'm played out. I log in out of habit and only because I got a free month that will end my stay next month instead of this week.

What would have kept me longer? World PVP. There is nothing that keeps me coming back for more than that. It's fun, fluid and never the same twice. There is nothing else at "end game" that is like that. I've never enjoyed the choreography of raiding nor the instant gratification of canned warzone scenarios.

So why did I try SWTOR knowing it was mostly PVE oriented? Two reasons: because it was new and I like to try them all and because there was a hint of WPVP there in Ilium. Sadly Ilium was not well implemented, was made worse when tweaked and there doesn't seem to be any hope for significant fixes there for months to come.

So off I go to try Tera and The Secret World while waiting for what I'm really excited about: GW WvWvW. Who knows, if BW ever gets their s--t together about WPVP I'll probably re-sub to check it out.

I wanted to write this just to let others know that there are many of us who are drifting away from TOR without hate or drama... just because.

And if you haven't played TOR, don't hessitate to give it a try. Imho, $90 for 3 months of fun is not a bad investment. I can easily spend twice that on a typical dinner + movie date... often with much less enjoyment :)

Peace and out.

Reasonable post that as you say is refreshing to see people leave and post about it without resorting to all the hate (as if anyone of these people are playing the first mmorpg they loved) and they don't often spew all the hate about any of those games either.

This does though point to what I have been starting to suspect about TOR, that while I think players like myself who are almost strictly pve oriented have been well taken care of they are really going to have to do something for the pvp crowd if they want to grow the game and avoid alot of the negativity that prevades boards like this one.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

This I can agree with. For a short term investment I think it is worth getting this game long as you go in with that realization and do a little homework to find out which server would suit your play style best since some are so low in population. Assuming of course you aren't focused on PvP.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

This I can agree with. For a short term investment I think it is worth getting this game long as you go in with that realization and do a little homework to find out which server would suit your play style best since some are so low in population. Assuming of course you aren't focused on PvP.

The server status page is a good indicator of population: http://www.swtor.com/server-status 

Mine was Ajunta Pall, West coast RP-PVP. It's usually tops on activity and has a much better than average community whether you RP or not. And btw, PVP servers have very little to no ganking unlike other MMOs. The populations are separated with only a few shared areas where you may run into the opposite faction, It moistly happens in Tatooine in your late 20s and Voss in your late 40s.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• darkehawkedarkehawke Member Posts: 178

Good Luck in finding a MMO for you.

I too have given up. The story got ridiculous, and pvp is getting worse.

The way i see it, SWTOR will go two ways in a years time

1. It will be free to play and deserted.

2. it will get the attention and care it needs and recover and be a damn fine game.

Hopefully for the people who enjoy this, it is number 2

meanwhile i'm having a blast in the other star wars MMO so i wish all the people who still play SWTOR all the best for their game and hope it truley realises its potential

Currently playing- SWG PreCU & GW 2
    Have tried WoW, AoC, & Vanguard, SWG:NGE, GW, LOTRO & SWTOR
    Best MMO: SWG
    Worst MMO: SWTOR