Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 Login Chroma Hash?

Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Is anyone feeling a little bit wary of this feature?

To explain, the Chroma Hash is the coloured bar next to the password field, and it will display the same colours everytime you enter your password correctly.

Personally, I dont care for it at all.

While the feature may be usefull for people who keep a lot of passwords, or those with alzheimers... I feel it could be abused by would-be hackers as a way to 'guess' your password if they managed to get a hold of your account name.

On the other hand, I could be understanding this feature completely wrong, but afaik if your password is correct all three squares will be of the same colour, though the colour may vary from account?

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

You misunderstand.

There is no "right" or "wrong" color. 

For example if you set password like "thisismypassword" it will have diffrent colour than   "bumumum13421".

Just because your password 'produce' 3 squeares of same coulour it is merely an coincidence.

My produce 2 squeares of same colour and last squeare of diffrent colour for example.

Oh and I don't care about this feature at all. Does not help me remember password to be honest.

Not that I have any problem remembering it in first place. 

I am not playing many online games and I am usually "1 mmorpg at given time" so maybe that's why.

Never could get into 'hop back and forth & try new mmorpg every week' thing. Weird for me ,but guess many like it :/

• MMO_REVIEWERMMO_REVIEWER Member Posts: 371

Guessing passwords is incredibly difficult. You'd have to know where to begin and even if you did sit there for the countless hours it would take to guess a single password...and managed to get the first letter you still got 5 more characters to go through with almost 100 possibilities and thousands upon thousands of combinations that could potentially be your password. Not to mention that theyd have to know your username to even get started.

A famous quote "No one has their identity stolen, No one....But they do give it away alot."

MMO's are the ark of the gaming world. Let it take us in new directions.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

the three colours  will match the same  to many many MANY passwords  maybe  "buttnuggets" will have the same hash as  "shutup" the point of the hash is  not about forgetting the password its more  so when you type in the pasword you can see if you made a mistake. with ********* in that feild  sometimes makeing a mistake will be hard to figure out.

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176

Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

Guessing passwords is incredibly difficult. You'd have to know where to begin and even if you did sit there for the countless hours it would take to guess a single password...and managed to get the first letter you still got 5 more characters to go through with almost 100 possibilities and thousands upon thousands of combinations that could potentially be your password. Not to mention that theyd have to know your username to even get started.

A famous quote "No one has their identity stolen, No one....But they do give it away alot."

Wrong. Guessing passwords is incredibly easy. All you need to do is try every single possible permutation.

The difficult part is getting the computational power to do so, so there aren't that many people with the ability to do such a thing. As such, they wouldn't waste it on trying to get some GW2 accounts.

• dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615

I guess it's nice, been frustrated sometimes when I somehow managed to type it wrong 3 times in a row (long password typed fast when tired) and not being sure if you'd been hacked or just typed it wrong since you can't see what you write but if you memorize the colours you will now know if it's typed in correctly or not without displaying it to everyone that can see your screen.

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

No, the color of the squares depend on your password. My password resulted in three different colors.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• KaeriganKaerigan Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Tanon

Originally posted by MMO_REVIEWER

Wrong. Guessing passwords is incredibly easy. All you need to do is try every single possible permutation.

The difficult part is getting the computational power to do so, so there aren't that many people with the ability to do such a thing. As such, they wouldn't waste it on trying to get some GW2 accounts.

I'm pretty sure you'd be banned long before you're even close to finding out anyone's password by bruteforcing it.

<childish, provocative and highly speculative banner about your favorite game goes here>

• YaosYaos Member UncommonPosts: 153

Even if somebody were to generate which color codes corrospond to which groups of passwords the information is useless, they would have to already know your password for the color code to mean anything.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

I thought it was quite a clever thing to add, actually. *shrug*

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

OK, now you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • GingerHitmanGingerHitman Member Posts: 24

This shouldn't pose a problem in any way at all, however I wouldn't start my youtube videos at the loginscreen showing my chroma combination, that's about it.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Methos12

OK, now you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Which is something the haters and detractors of the game are good at doing.  They dont want to focus on the innovation and the things (which is all) GW2 does right from a play perspective so they focus on idiotic things like Cash SHop, Password Reminders and silly things like that.

Still though I guess it is to be expected because players to this day will gripe about pretty much anything.  It jsut shows to me that Anet is doing something right in this stagnant market.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• NeoZcar2NeoZcar2 Member Posts: 136

I do not think this could be in any way used to compromise your own account security..... Because there is a total of 

2,176,782,336 possible password combination using the 36 number and letter combinations at a 6 digit password. Each digit added after 6 would make that many more possibiliies. The chromakey they added still has well over 10 million possible answers for every single color combination.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I think it's a useful feature. It lets you know whether or not you typed your password correctly because you, and only you, know the colour it usually goes. Simple as that.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • vesuviasvesuvias Member UncommonPosts: 151

Think about it this way. GW2 is BTP so you play 2 months and quit for 6 and come right back. You are a good security conscious individual and use a different password for every game you play. You can't exactly remember which of 20 passwords you used in the last year was for GW2 specifically. But you've seen the login chroma so many times during your first 2 months that it is burned into you consciousness. The login screen looks "wrong" without the right chroma. So you type in all the possible passwords you "think" it could be all without a single submit to thier servers and you eventually find the right password (since you find the chroma that looks exactly right). 

It's like being able to remember where something is by sight but not remembering the exact street address.

• Arathir86Arathir86 Member UncommonPosts: 442

Fair enough.

I guess I just got the wrong impression of how the system worked.

But seriously some of you guys need to step it back a notch, I voiced a concern (which was discussed and answered) yet some of you label me as a hater and complainer. Obviously I have pre-purchsed the game, so I can't be much of a hater... unless im Masochistic?

Thank you for the prompt replies though.

"The problem with quotes from the Internet is that it's almost impossible to validate their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln