Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

my 2 kinah since f2p launch

Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

Amazing game.

Th graphics are fun, the classes are well thought out, the crafting is challenging yet rewarding.

The RvR is good, from what I'm told.

Here's where it gets murky...

Like I said the game is great,  runs well, no lag, beautiful scenery, but...the concept of pvp rvr or in NCSoft's words PvPvE is lost on its community.

PvPvE is unique to Aion in such as it has 3 factions Asmodian, Elyos (both player controlled) and Baluar (NPC-dev controlled), the 'E'.

Now there's a game function for a quest series called 'rifting', it's for a spy quest series where you infiltrate the enemy's lands, get a few items and go home. Try not to get killed as you are a spy in enemy territory. But players have found ways to use this method to change the game so as to 'live' in enemy lands, griefing the players leveling there. It's not pvp by any stretch, they are attacking players who are well below them and are usually engaged in PvE battles and are 1/2 life etc...

 

So the game is beautiful, I am sure the end game is somewhat interesting but it must not be very populated as most the pvp action takes place in the lowbie lands where veterans prey on new players, and well they usually quit, like myself...again, for the same reason. lol.

Thanks for the chance though Aion, some of the improvements you made to the game, the Atlas, the mentor thing (never got to try it), the nice gifts as you level, great stuff, but if you can't enjoy the game and progress to actually enter real pvp without .....well nevermind, frustrating to re-hash and have to go through it yet again.

But at least I gave it my best effort, really did, shame the community is the way it is, it could be so much better (i.e. DAoC). So much potential, really.

 

Well, off to find that game with the 'magic' I crave....TERA beta released, trying that out now, seems very smooth, game and leveling is fun, haven't heard of a single gank yet, lol.

«1

Comments

  • TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

    so you do realize that you can effectively avoid OWPvP till lvl 50+ other then the occasional run through to get to a dungeon. At least it's that way on the Asmo side, I haven't played Elyos.

  • NailzzzNailzzz Member UncommonPosts: 515

         Did they actually get rid of the rifting nerfs? if so i may actually have to come back. Rifting was about the only thing this game had up on every other mmo release. Still cant believe they nerfed the one thing that made Aion unique in the first place.

  • getonagetona Member UncommonPosts: 98

    Aion 3.0 not Aion 1.3

  • TyvolusNextTyvolusNext Member Posts: 192

    Originally posted by Rider071

    Amazing game.

    Th graphics are fun, the classes are well thought out, the crafting is challenging yet rewarding.

    The RvR is good, from what I'm told.

    Here's where it gets murky...

    Like I said the game is great,  runs well, no lag, beautiful scenery, but...the concept of pvp rvr or in NCSoft's words PvPvE is lost on its community.

    PvPvE is unique to Aion in such as it has 3 factions Asmodian, Elyos (both player controlled) and Baluar (NPC-dev controlled), the 'E'.

    Now there's a game function for a quest series called 'rifting', it's for a spy quest series where you infiltrate the enemy's lands, get a few items and go home. Try not to get killed as you are a spy in enemy territory. But players have found ways to use this method to change the game so as to 'live' in enemy lands, griefing the players leveling there. It's not pvp by any stretch, they are attacking players who are well below them and are usually engaged in PvE battles and are 1/2 life etc...

     

    So the game is beautiful, I am sure the end game is somewhat interesting but it must not be very populated as most the pvp action takes place in the lowbie lands where veterans prey on new players, and well they usually quit, like myself...again, for the same reason. lol.

    Thanks for the chance though Aion, some of the improvements you made to the game, the Atlas, the mentor thing (never got to try it), the nice gifts as you level, great stuff, but if you can't enjoy the game and progress to actually enter real pvp without .....well nevermind, frustrating to re-hash and have to go through it yet again.

    But at least I gave it my best effort, really did, shame the community is the way it is, it could be so much better (i.e. DAoC). So much potential, really.

     

    Well, off to find that game with the 'magic' I crave....TERA beta released, trying that out now, seems very smooth, game and leveling is fun, haven't heard of a single gank yet, lol.

     Sounds like you need to stick with the PvE games. 

  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,377

    I played Aion at launch.Got to level 26...went to the abyss.....saw the worst design for rvr I've ever seen. Terrible landscape.....groups of high levels ganking any solo on postage stamp size rvr areas(that did not allow one to be hard to find ).(I've played DAOC on and off for 10 years)

    I tried the game again after 3.0.Like the housing.Crafting was good.And found the rvr still had the same critical flaws.High level groups ganking the lowbies.

    Apparently the idea of 24/7 persistent battlegrounds for lower level players to learn how to fight and play their class has been rejected.Though I and others keep pushing the idea in the games main forums.

    So for me.My re-visit has been brief.I'm not a pve player.I thirst for outstanding rvr(a la DAOC).Maybe Secret World,GW2,Planetside 2 or others will have me playing a mmog again.Who knows ?

    Am I playing in the GW2 "beta".Not unless I get an invite.If the company wants my money...which it does....then they have to show me why I should give it to them.

  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

    TyvolusNext,

    the fact is, I thrive on rvr games. I search for team pvp or realm pvp, something with a goal and mass warfare on a grand scale.

     

    Pvp on small scale I find interesting if it's battlegrounds or arenas.

    Fake pvp where pvp'ers lie in wait for a PvE player to engage mobs then jump them, isn't pvp in my eyes. It may be true for yours, but then by your own statement, maybe it's you who needs to stick with PvE games, since you can't compete without the PvE assistance.

  • Games888Games888 Member Posts: 243

    f2p wont help this game with Tera GW2 coming out, 1 new server is mostly players reroll from the other server.   

  • khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

    Originally posted by Nailzzz

         Did they actually get rid of the rifting nerfs? if so i may actually have to come back. Rifting was about the only thing this game had up on every other mmo release. Still cant believe they nerfed the one thing that made Aion unique in the first place.

     

    yeah on the new servers u can rift like the old days..on the old servers there is a nerf every 2nd week.

  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

    Games888,

    Sad part is as I think about it, you're right.

    The new server was a blessing in that it allows everyone to return to the game and have a chance to compete on a new server without trying to play catch up vs 3-4 year vets and their rewards.

     

    Problem is all the rifters rifting that NCSoft had fixed because they ran off the population on the 14 original servers (now 3), are all on the one new server doing exactly the same thing. History sadly repeats iself, and for the life of me it makes no sense as to why NCSoft went down this road. They lost 11 of 14 servers because of this kind of gameplay, and they didn't think it would be the same outcome yet again? Ben Franklin would call that insanity.

  • reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320

    With Tiamat being the new merged server before 3.0, there was lots of Asmodians ganking everywhere in the Elyos lands, it was hard to get a quest done when you where waiting for an instance to go into. I fought back and PvPed as well, and I was detered with all the new PvPers, but it was rough with groups of Asmos waiting for a soloer to show up and just gang bang them. With 3.0 now up, there is a new area that has left areas open. Heiron was an area that was just crawling with Asmos, not anymore with the new area opening up and constant PvP going on over there, even the Abyss is slightly empty with group attacking forts here and there. I say in a month or so, they will come back, but until then the area is safe for newbies learning the game.

  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 623

    Originally posted by Rider071

    So the game is beautiful, I am sure the end game is somewhat interesting but it must not be very populated as most the pvp action takes place in the lowbie lands where veterans prey on new players, and well they usually quit, like myself...again, for the same reason. lol.

    Is it really like that? I thought that there was some kind of feature where you didn't have to participate in pvp till you wanted to. I was thinking of playing this just for the pve aspect, but if it's just a gank fest then I wont be playing.

     

  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

    Blazer6992,

    I just finished the Tera beta, which is a really interesting game, the controls are very different, but that's for another thread...

    I would say the new server where most everyone is playing right now, Kahrun is like this, yes.

    I am told the older 3 servers have rift buffs in place which alternate each week where the defenders are buffed and the aggressors are debuffed, not sure if it helps the situation or not. I plan on playing there this week and give the game another chance, the home forums asked me to try it out, so why not.

    I mean other than the ganking, the game is awesome, the f2p model is excellent I have seen. There is absolutely  no equal to what they have out out in regards to what their f2p model offers.

    So I craft every other week until I am high enough in level to RvR, it may be worth it.

  • CallienteCalliente Member Posts: 2

    Well as a new player to Aion played the EU model on Anuhart for a couple weeks,then went to the NA Asmos side on the new server 3.0. I love it.. the pvp is AWESOME even if you  get pwnt every so often. I do like pvp as much if not more then the pve content. Good job Aion a game I will play for some time to come.

  • AlexlongwellAlexlongwell Member UncommonPosts: 23

    Originally posted by Rider071

    Blazer6992,

    I just finished the Tera beta, which is a really interesting game, the controls are very different, but that's for another thread...

    I would say the new server where most everyone is playing right now, Kahrun is like this, yes.

    I am told the older 3 servers have rift buffs in place which alternate each week where the defenders are buffed and the aggressors are debuffed, not sure if it helps the situation or not. I plan on playing there this week and give the game another chance, the home forums asked me to try it out, so why not.

    I mean other than the ganking, the game is awesome, the f2p model is excellent I have seen. There is absolutely  no equal to what they have out out in regards to what their f2p model offers.

    So I craft every other week until I am high enough in level to RvR, it may be worth it.

    wrong on all accounts, sounds to me like you know nothing about this game.

  • JohnnyMotrinJohnnyMotrin Member Posts: 439

    Originally posted by alexl22

    Originally posted by Rider071

    Blazer6992,

    I just finished the Tera beta, which is a really interesting game, the controls are very different, but that's for another thread...

    I would say the new server where most everyone is playing right now, Kahrun is like this, yes.

    I am told the older 3 servers have rift buffs in place which alternate each week where the defenders are buffed and the aggressors are debuffed, not sure if it helps the situation or not. I plan on playing there this week and give the game another chance, the home forums asked me to try it out, so why not.

    I mean other than the ganking, the game is awesome, the f2p model is excellent I have seen. There is absolutely  no equal to what they have out out in regards to what their f2p model offers.

    So I craft every other week until I am high enough in level to RvR, it may be worth it.

    wrong on all accounts, sounds to me like you know nothing about this game.

    Please do explain alexl22, because I too was thinking of giving this game a try but would like to pve enough so I know what the heck I'm doing without getting ganked every 5-10 minutes.

    image

  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

    Originally posted by alexl22

    wrong on all accounts, sounds to me like you know nothing about this game.

     hmm, someone blurting out how someone is wrong without any specifics or facts on the interwebz...

    ...how original.

  • holyman1981holyman1981 Member Posts: 51

    true about the old servers (HPD every 2 week):  so if u wanna avoid pvp u shull join a old server not a new one ;) Cheers

  • UKEXBOIUKEXBOI Member Posts: 6

    To the herp derps that really haven't logged on aion to see how well the servers are going, all servers full from 11A till around 2AM then I had to go to bed. in other words the servers are thriving so, I really believe F2P is a huge success, specially with that kinda quality of game, even with its grind feast, story and everything is much better than any F2P game I've tried.

  • rhainstormrhainstorm Member Posts: 1

    i think the F2P was teh only move ncsoft had left with the huge decline in subs and it proved to work in thier favor. the servers are very busy and there players find groups easier now. the only thing that would make it better is to remove the rifting buffs. i have played teh game since launch and i have to laugh at all the /cry /cry over being ganked. i plyed and lvled max while getting ganked etc, you just have to learn to watch whats going on around you instead of tunnel vision on the mob u r killing. imo pve carebears that bought a wold pvp game and /cried about pvp is what set the path to destruction of teh game.

    aditional charactor allowance would b nice.  i really dont want to delete the ones i have but would love to make a toon on a new server for the unbuffed pvp.

    if you are worried about getting ganked get a warning pet, set up a chatdar, and learn to notice pvp lag. it ALWAYS happens when the opposite faction is around.

     

     

  • Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

    Well rhain, people aren't  buying the game any longer, so you really cannot use the arguement 'you bought a pvp game' much.

    I'll let it slde though, it's an old used line anyhow.

    In my experience on Kahrun since returning to game, the gankers have all been rangers or assassins and they have all been stealthed up to their attacks. The warning pets do not see through stealth, and I have yet to feel any noticeable lag from stealthed players...actually i see no noticeable lag from any enemy players, guess I need to fire up an older machine? Regardless, people who attack players knee deep in pve mobs arent exactly pvpers imho. Trying to level up to meet that group at the forts, etc..

    Anyhow, I have since been on the older servers, the crowds were kinda low, but have steadily been rising, with many of the folk I have been meeting in game also from Kahrun. Haven't seen a single ganker yet in morheim, but I'm told not to worry as the buffs  keep us pretty safe.

    The devs in Korea have stated the rifting was not intended for full scale pvp. That is was intended to do the pve quest series, but western gamers have abused the system. The buffs are permanent in the east, though they weren't needed, the players there are fine with them being up.  I don't see why the difference honstly in NA having some sort of lag behind Korea's decisions, but I'm sure there is a reason. I found this information here in the game's history of news and information posts on this site.

    Regardless 3.0 is pretty cool, the atlas, the housing, the pets, etc...game is pretty fun, and the f2p matrix is awesome.

  • beeker255beeker255 Member UncommonPosts: 351

    Originally posted by Rider071

    Games888,

    Sad part is as I think about it, you're right.

    The new server was a blessing in that it allows everyone to return to the game and have a chance to compete on a new server without trying to play catch up vs 3-4 year vets and their rewards.

     

    Problem is all the rifters rifting that NCSoft had fixed because they ran off the population on the 14 original servers (now 3), are all on the one new server doing exactly the same thing. History sadly repeats iself, and for the life of me it makes no sense as to why NCSoft went down this road. They lost 11 of 14 servers because of this kind of gameplay, and they didn't think it would be the same outcome yet again? Ben Franklin would call that insanity.

    herp then I derp.

  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,115
    You're right there's a lot of ganking going around on both sides. But when you go around killing too many of them, you're stuck with a curse, which drops your run speed WAY down. You're either forced to go pvp that way or fly back home and pve until the curse is gone.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,905

    Originally posted by TyvolusNext

    Originally posted by Rider071

    Amazing game.

    Th graphics are fun, the classes are well thought out, the crafting is challenging yet rewarding.

    The RvR is good, from what I'm told.

    Here's where it gets murky...

    Like I said the game is great,  runs well, no lag, beautiful scenery, but...the concept of pvp rvr or in NCSoft's words PvPvE is lost on its community.

    PvPvE is unique to Aion in such as it has 3 factions Asmodian, Elyos (both player controlled) and Baluar (NPC-dev controlled), the 'E'.

    Now there's a game function for a quest series called 'rifting', it's for a spy quest series where you infiltrate the enemy's lands, get a few items and go home. Try not to get killed as you are a spy in enemy territory. But players have found ways to use this method to change the game so as to 'live' in enemy lands, griefing the players leveling there. It's not pvp by any stretch, they are attacking players who are well below them and are usually engaged in PvE battles and are 1/2 life etc...

     

    So the game is beautiful, I am sure the end game is somewhat interesting but it must not be very populated as most the pvp action takes place in the lowbie lands where veterans prey on new players, and well they usually quit, like myself...again, for the same reason. lol.

    Thanks for the chance though Aion, some of the improvements you made to the game, the Atlas, the mentor thing (never got to try it), the nice gifts as you level, great stuff, but if you can't enjoy the game and progress to actually enter real pvp without .....well nevermind, frustrating to re-hash and have to go through it yet again.

    But at least I gave it my best effort, really did, shame the community is the way it is, it could be so much better (i.e. DAoC). So much potential, really.

     

    Well, off to find that game with the 'magic' I crave....TERA beta released, trying that out now, seems very smooth, game and leveling is fun, haven't heard of a single gank yet, lol.

     Sounds like you need to stick with the PvE games. 

     

    Nah, he just needs to find a GOOD PvP game...

    I love Aion in a lot of ways, but it has the WORST world PvP set up I have ever seen, bar none. It actually encourages the farming of noobs, which is just ridiculous for the long term health of the game.

    Everything in the OP is right.

    I bet if GF or NCSoft had been brave enough to set up a fresh PvE server with ther HDB perma on it would be Full and there would be demands for more like it, with the PvP ones got ever emptier. Maybe that's what scares the PvPers...

     

  • xxtriadxxxxtriadxx Member UncommonPosts: 155

    Originally posted by Rider071

    Games888,

    Sad part is as I think about it, you're right.

    The new server was a blessing in that it allows everyone to return to the game and have a chance to compete on a new server without trying to play catch up vs 3-4 year vets and their rewards.

     

    Problem is all the rifters rifting that NCSoft had fixed because they ran off the population on the 14 original servers (now 3), are all on the one new server doing exactly the same thing. History sadly repeats iself, and for the life of me it makes no sense as to why NCSoft went down this road. They lost 11 of 14 servers because of this kind of gameplay, and they didn't think it would be the same outcome yet again? Ben Franklin would call that insanity.



    Uhm I'd say they lost all those players and thus servers because they put in the rift buff system. You can almost watch the games decline from the day they impemented them. Its probably the biggest complaint about the game now from old and current players.

  • EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

    Havent played a MMO is months but my g/f and I decided to go back to Aion since taking a break about 1 year ago. Unfortionately every MMO releasing these days in the same old bs so why not play a game thats had plenty of patches and is F2P.

    With the state of MMOs these days I don't expect GW2 or Tera to go anywhere. Suer people will play them and have fun but either is barely anything new.

    My conclusion is Aion with all its content should keep both of of happy for months until we take another break. We'll continue this for years to come likely until a new unique MMO releases worth spending the time. :-/

    "I play Tera for the gameplay"

Sign In or Register to comment.