Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Disappointing Tera Beta Experience

kiiixkiiix Member Posts: 93

As one of many fans, i have been looking forward to this game for a long time now. But after 3 betas(CBT1,5 OBT), I’m left with disappointed view in the game. This may be just because of my unnaturally high expectations. But who knows, it may change since it still just in beta.

To start off, I would like to say its not a bad game at all, but from my point of view its lacking in some departments where I had hoped it would do better.

Graphically speaking the game looks stunning! And the same goes for the general visuals and overall soundtracks. The combat is also amazing and the most fun combat I have ever experienced in an mmorpg. But where the game took a dive in to the ground, was in with world it self.

After finally getting off the Island of dawn(witch looked stunning), I was so excited to see this enormous game world witch was spoken so highly off, but sadly the further I explored, the more I was like «really, this is it?”.  The gameworld was just empty and lifeless… Sure its stunning to look at because of the visuals, but the further I got, the more empty It became. Its was like a sea of endless open areas with nothing to catch your eye or give you that WOOW! Moment. And yes, I know that a lot of the places where uninhabited by npc’s and mobs because of the beta, but it still doesn’t change the fact that it looked lifeless. It may be strange to compare this to world of warcraft, but at least there when I got to a new zone, I was like “woow” they have really put in some work making this place look interesting. And after watching some of the guild wars 2 videos, it just seems dumb to have a huge gameworld if you’re not going to make it interesting enough to explore. (and yes, me and a friend got so bored around level 14-15, we went around exploring every zone in the available beta area) (And just on a side note, the fact that the world is filled with invisible walls everywhere! witch limits your free roaming kinda just messed up view on the world, even, more)

Other things I would like to mention relating the gameworld is the water. With all its hype about a world like vanilla WoW, I came to find my self let down when I saw that you could not dive underwater, or even do any combat what so ever while swimming (tho I can see some problems here seeing as you would have a great disadvantage with speed and mobility(+ adding new animations), but would it not still be fun to actually be able to battle creatures under water/while swimming?)

The last but not LeastFinalThing that pulled me out of the experience: was that you could not die by falling from a major heights, I can see this as a nice thing in the beta for the bug/glitch testers, but if this is final for the release! Its just plane stupid…

After reading all this I may seem negative towards the game, but the fact is that it have a lot of good qualities surrounding it, like the political system and the way a players could have something to say in how the world will respond to the other players.

Anywho, please leave a comment or share your experiences (good or bad) with your beta timeimage

That one in a million Anime loving,Workout crazy, Gamer.
KiX0@Steam/Raptr

Comments

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I played the beta this weekend and i was kinda the same, The graphic were good but nothing realy stood out except maybe that big tree on the tutorial island but that was it, Everythign in the game that i saw ahs been reused from other games. Combat/politic system from darkfall and basicly everythign else from WoW and its Clones. The game is a bit more entertaining than the other typical MMO out there atm. I got to lvl 23 as a mystic (one of the healers) and i dont see how healing is going to work in raids cause if there 3-4 healers in your group itskinda a point and hope it selects the person who needs the heal, i could heal 2 people with one spell but i had 2 lcok onto the target and it would lock anything inside the crosshairs which was basicly anyone in melee range at the time. Maybe the priest which is spose 2 be the main healer has a better system witht hat but i doubt it.

From what ive seen GW2 will be offering alot more than tera has but ill find out this coming weekend with the beta.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

some areas are still empty cause they are still working on them,   i went to the city of castanica, and diden't have npc .

there are empty areas, that are supposed to be that way,  (around Velika city)  that s where the big monster invasions will take place.

• MelodicMelodic Member Posts: 19

Before I played Tera I was really excited about the game after watching couple of videos etc.

However after playing it... not so much. I found it boring. Really, really boring. Combat seems fun in the first hour or so, but then it's the same thing over and over again. After few levels I had to force myself to play it and saying "it will get more fun in later levels, it will get fun in later levels", but no. I gave up out of boredom. I tried every class in the game, but it ended the same. I really don't see this game bringing anything new to the genere aside from somewhat fun combat, which gets rather repetitive. 

I was more interested in progressing in my book which I have bought recently(Robin Hobb's "Assassin's apprentice" if somone is curious)  then playing Tera.

I really love the graphics and character models on the other side. Feels really Final Fantasish, but graphics are like book cover. It doesn't matter in the end.

Dunno. Maybe I'm just tired with current MMOs. Everything is so boring and uninvolving... 

• kielon72kielon72 Member Posts: 3

Actually most people that really took part in the beta was amazed by TERA. Going to higher level content, I ve seen more  and more people alredy decided to buy it.

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

Originally posted by Melodic

Before I played Tera I was really excited about the game after watching couple of videos etc.

However after playing it... not so much. I found it boring. Really, really boring. Combat seems fun in the first hour or so, but then it's the same thing over and over again. After few levels I had to force myself to play it and saying "it will get more fun in later levels, it will get fun in later levels", but no. I gave up out of boredom. I tried every class in the game, but it ended the same. I really don't see this game bringing anything new to the genere aside from somewhat fun combat, which gets rather repetitive. 

I was more interested in progressing in my book which I have bought(Robin Hobb's "Assassin's apprentice" if somone is curious) recently then playing Tera.

I really love the graphics and character models on the other side. Feels really Final Fantasish, but graphics are like book cover. It doesn't matter in the end.

Dunno. Maybe I'm just tired with current MMOs. Everything is so boring and univolving... 

i think you are just tired of MMO.  wich is understandable, it happens to all of us , that only means, one thing.   you are getting older and need to find new forms of entertainment.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

I think you are the type of players that are stuck in the MMORPG`s cause you spent lot of time in WOW, GW, RIFT.... and now you are looking for something that will totaly knock you out of cheir.

It is totaly understandable but I am afraid that after WOW there will be no game that will draw that much of attention and players. 

SWTOR is good exsample, lot of money invested and at the end they ll be happy to have 1 million people and only if they make some major things in the game and make it less story based but that is different topic.

You want to feel like you felt few years ago when you start playing WOW but that will not happend in years that are coming for sure.

People complaining and arguing about what game is beter: WOW, SW:TOR, GW2, RIFT, TERA, Secret World but at the end all this games have some personal touch and it will draw attention of some ppl that like that aproach. Just, there will be no game that will have few million players at the start.

Personaly, I pre-ordered TERA cause it feels like WOW but have that action combat system and good looking BOSSES to slain.

I have Priest lev 30 and i cant agree on future raids and how the healing works.... cause when i hit the lev 20 and got in 1st dungeon I was happy like a little kid while healing cause it is DIFFERENT that in other games cause of all that combat system.

Generaly, we should be happy to have 4-6 games that can sub WOW and give us also a nice gaming experience, most of all FUN !!!

• otacuotacu Member UncommonPosts: 547

Originally posted by kiiix

Other things I would like to mention relating the gameworld is the water. With all its hype about a world like vanilla WoW, I came to find my self let down when I saw that you could not dive underwater, or even do any combat what so ever while swimming (tho I can see some problems here seeing as you would have a great disadvantage with speed and mobility(+ adding new animations), but would it not still be fun to actually be able to battle creatures under water/while swimming?)

I really agree on this.

Not having water combat is a big flaw for a mmorpg releasing in 2012. 

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

this thread is a little bit bias towards the "no" as there is no option for those who simply came to see the results.

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• NatarayaNataraya Member Posts: 78

I found it quite appealing after the beta weekends,

Combat its definetlly something that keeps you hooked for some time and graphics are best i have seen in a mmorpg.

The only thing that keeps me away form buying/playing its the payment model, no way i will spend 50€ + subs on a old-new themepark, no with the current state of things, mayb if was released in feb i would subbed untill gw2 launch but now i rather wait, mayb a cheaper sub idk but the old times of AAA subs seem to be gone for good (at least until something great shows up, i would pay 15€ sub for Archeage thou ;P);

TERA will be my favourite f2p game.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

the traditional themepark gameplay took away from the interesting combat.

just couldnt get over that.

the Tera killer was the Tratditional Themepark Model

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

From what I read....  "Game was fun, but felt empty, because it was empty, because it was a beta."

• dschledschle Member Posts: 25

But but...it gets better when you finally get past lvl 20.....1/3 of the level, the start of it, is the boring part!

If that is the case, no thanks Tera

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by cura

My short opinion

The graphics is ok, but i couldnt stand this postprocessing filter that blurs everything, even text. They probably used it instead of proper AA. Engine performacne wasnt stunning to say the least, tuning down options didnt change much. Controls felt clumsy and laggy. I dont have connection issues with other games so it shouldnt be the problem. I expected the game will play like Darkfall, but due to the reasons i gave, it felt much worse.

I can't say nothing about your feeling for the game, you could criticize everything of Tera from the gameplay to the art style, cause i consider it a niche game and not everyone cup of tea.

But you do realize that Tera uses the Unreal Engine 3, that's one of the best and more optimized engine out there?

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Kehdar

Originally posted by cura

My short opinion

The graphics is ok, but i couldnt stand this postprocessing filter that blurs everything, even text. They probably used it instead of proper AA. Engine performacne wasnt stunning to say the least, tuning down options didnt change much. Controls felt clumsy and laggy. I dont have connection issues with other games so it shouldnt be the problem. I expected the game will play like Darkfall, but due to the reasons i gave, it felt much worse.

I can't say nothing about your feeling for the game, you could criticize everything of Tera from the gameplay to the art style, cause i consider it a niche game and not everyone cup of tea.

But you do realize that Tera uses the Unreal Engine 3, that's one of the best and more optimized engine out there?

Yeah.

I won't comment on other things ,but performance is actually very good given the queality of graphic.

MUCH superior to let's say Swtor and actually superior to many other mmorpg's.

• StyleGamingStyleGaming Member Posts: 43

Sadly TERA is going aginst GW2 and from this board alone we can see how many GW2 fanbois is on this TERA form. 

- http://www.youtube.com/user/myfreestylegaming

AC>EQ>War>EVE>AoC>Aion>SWTOR>FireFall>Tera/GW2

• dschledschle Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by StyleGaming

Sadly TERA is going aginst GW2 and from this board alone we can see how many GW2 fanbois is on this TERA form. 

You should see the Tera fanbois on the GW2 forms! That's what I love about all forms, game a fanbois, game b fanbois - it doesn't matter, they are the same kind of people. Personally, I think just doing a universal label of fanbois is good enough, since it really doesn't matter what game the are cheering for!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854

So, your 3 big disappointments with Tera are:

1 - the area around the capitol city is empty

2 - cant go underwater

3 - and cant die from falling

Ive seen some nit picky complaints about Tera but these are the nit pickiest Ive seen so far.

• DollyCakeDollyCake Member Posts: 3

Pre-ordered Tera the day sales went live on En Masse.

I started playing on Friday and by Sunday I hit 32. Tried the crafting and gathering and enchanted all my gold drops from SM. So now what?

I really wish they would have added something else besides SM and killing crabs. I stood around for about  2 hours yesterday sick of the instance and bored out of my mind.

My main concern is once hitting 60 what is there to do? Battlegrounds will not be implemented untill summer. You can only kill the same bams so many times before it gets to be a bore.

For now I will cancel my preorder and wait.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

Originally posted by DollyCake

Pre-ordered Tera the day sales went live on En Masse.

I started playing on Friday and by Sunday I hit 32. Tried the crafting and gathering and enchanted all my gold drops from SM. So now what?

I really wish they would have added something else besides SM and killing crabs. I stood around for about  2 hours yesterday sick of the instance and bored out of my mind.

My main concern is once hitting 60 what is there to do? Battlegrounds will not be implemented untill summer. You can only kill the same bams so many times before it gets to be a bore.

For now I will cancel my preorder and wait.

Yeah, you're hitting it too hardcore, with that playstyle you'll destroy the Tera content way too quickly.  (though I suspect you won't fare better with any other modern title.) Better wait about a year to let them flesh it out more for you.

Perhaps Lineage 2?

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

Originally posted by kielon72

Actually most people that really took part in the beta was amazed by TERA. Going to higher level content, I ve seen more  and more people alredy decided to buy it.

This is simply not true, most people I talked to in game at 20+ didn t care for it. I shouldn t say most, but at least half.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Originally posted by Nataraya

Combat its definetlly something that keeps you hooked for some time and graphics are best i have seen in a mmorpg.

Maybe it was the class I played (mystic) but I found the combat clunky and unappealng.  I hated that in a game that requires moving around so much I had to stop moving to do anything even something simple like ordering my pet to attack my target and I was stuck in that spot until the animation finished.  Everytime I pressed a button a felt like I was giving up control of my toon for a few seconds while they did whatever it was I ordered them to do.  That might work fine in a tab target MMO but in a action one it just breaks the flow of combat up to much for my tastes. 

Again maybe it was the class I played or maybe it's personal taste but it was a huge turn off to me.

There are things I like about Tera but overall I can't get over the feeling that it's a F2P game that the developers slapped a montly sub onto to try and market in the west.  Maybe it will work maybe it won't, I guess time will tell.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Character creation was fun. It all went downhill from there.

Been invited to 4 beta weekends since the first one I tried (and no, I havent preordered) and had no motivation to start the game up again, even though it was already installed on my computer.

Something about the game is just very.... boring. It just feels like I have been there and done that, which is strange because I can still jump onto DAOC, EQ1, EQ2, WoW, AoC or Vanguard years after quitting and still have fun, but for some reason TERA just puts me to sleep.

It just feels like the game lacks any soul.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Originally posted by udon

Originally posted by Nataraya

Maybe it was the class I played (mystic) but I found the combat clunky and unappealng.  I hated that in a game that requires moving around so much I had to stop moving to do anything even something simple like ordering my pet to attack my target and I was stuck in that spot until the animation finished.  Everytime I pressed a button a felt like I was giving up control of my toon for a few seconds while they did whatever it was I ordered them to do.  That might work fine in a tab target MMO but in a action one it just breaks the flow of combat up to much for my tastes. 

Again maybe it was the class I played or maybe it's personal taste but it was a huge turn off to me.

There are things I like about Tera but overall I can't get over the feeling that it's a F2P game that the developers slapped a montly sub onto to try and market in the west.  Maybe it will work maybe it won't, I guess time will tell.

Yeah i had a similar option with playin g my mystic is was annoying having to stop for half a second to cast a spell 2 hit them while then enemy just run away if ur pvp. Sure some spell should force you to remain stationary like that mana regen skill where u sit there channeling for 6 second or so but the basicly instant cast spell should make u stop for half a second to do the animation. Also it didnt ehlp that the blink skill (teleport jaunt) only worked 50% of the time other time ti would glitch and you wouldnt go anywhere yes i know its a beta so glitch are expected but one would think it would of been fixed shortly after somone plays a mystic cause it happen about 50% of the time you use the skill.