Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This article puts tears in my eyes...in a good way

Comments

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by cutthecrap

Originally posted by Purgatus

Originally posted by Puremallace

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hypeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Will it ever end. Nice read and in depth articles about the devs.

There arrogance is really starting to piss me off though just so you know. The "we know better then everyone else" attitude is getting old and will bite them once the game is released.

Really? Hype? This artilce is about the history of the company and the kind of people who work there. They are very pround of what they have done, but who wonldn't be. They barely talk about game features at all. What are they hypeing?

I think the guy was more making a general observation of the overhyping as done by some hardcore GW2 fans.

As for some statements that could objectively be regarded as much as hyping as well as (over?)confidence:

"I think Guild Wars 2 is going to be the highest quality game ever released: - Mike O'Brien

'Something that stood out for Randall Price was Guild Wars 1 passing five million sales. (It's now sold more than 6.5 million, making it one of the most successful PC games ever.) All of those fans, Price believes, are "frothing at the mouth for what we can do in the future".'

"Any of us, we want to look back at our lives and go 'wow, we really shook up the industry, we really made a game that changed the way people thought about gaming.' We've had an opportunity to do that. ... We have an amazing future ahead of us."'

Everyone who has ever bought and played GW is 'frothing at the mouth' for what ANet people can do? There have been tens of thousands of games over the years, with hundreds top-of-the-bill highest quality games among them. Yet GW2 will be the highest quality game ever released in 35 years of gaming?

I can see comments like this in perspective with an amused smile, not the first time that devs make extreme statements out of overtly excited. But at the same time they can be considered hyping. In fact, I'm pretty sure that it has been regarded like that when less extreme statements were being made by other devs and game company representatives over the years.

All devs hype their games. It's nothing new and I'm honestly suprised that people still have an issue with it. It's more akin to an actor or a director going on a late night talk show and claiming that his next movie will be the bestest evar! Most of us realize that it's nothing more than a cheap marketing tactic and don't take it seriously. But of course if you wanted to nitpick...

Shrug. If you yourself really want to nitpick about it: I don't see anything wrong in pointing out what could be considered arrogant or hyping, regardless whatever MMO it is. If some people dislike presenting such arguments whenever it's about a game they're getting all warm and fuzzy about (yet do exactly the same whenever it's about a game they don't like image), well, that's on them I guess.

I completely agree with you that all devs hype their games to a lesser or larger degree, it's obvious from this thread and other ones that not all GW2 fans see it like we do, and they don't regard what ANet devs state as hyping or arrogance/overconfidence/overexcitement/whatever. Which seems a case of selective bias to me. Me, I don't really care however they say it as long as I get the game.

I'm not interested in the hype itself. I've been gaming for a long time and I have learned to see through most of the bullshit. What I'm interested in is factual information. Lots of hype but very little info sets off warning signal for me.

On the other hand, GW2 has lots of hype but also has lots of info. Sure, the devs may hype the game a lot but there are thousands of hours of 3rd party game play footage available on youtube and lots of feedback. So I don't really have any issues with the whole thing.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

A game a company is making something that cost millions with years of time investment that is nearing release ... and players whine like little biatches because of advertising? Of course it is biases ... it's F@CKING ADVERTISING!

I swear that video game players are the most stupid idiots on the planet. They think they are still apart of some underground secret cult of "special people" who partake in a hobby few know about. Game development is a Mega-Business. It makes more money than the movie and music industry combined! It is no underground movement. Companies pay huge dolla and hype the piss out of their products. This is the new methodology so you had better get used to it.

Now what a mature person could do is separate fact from hype in the mass media push prior to a release, watch actual footage, seek more indipendent review and then formulate their own opinion once they try the game themselves ... instead of being whiny little (anti-)fanboi biatches stomping their feet in the cool kids corner.

The game might suck or it might not but shyting on another simply because they choose to be excited or to be skeptical because you believe the opposite simply makes you nothing more than a whiny biatch. At least do one thing and understand that amongst the general discussion there are many that will end up playing the game, liking it and trying to set up some form of community. The community here supports gaming in general as it is so bitch slapping each other doesn't get anyone anywhere. Try giving your opinions without throwing a tantrum.

You stay sassy!

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

These posts are amazing.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

Originally posted by Skarecrow7

Originally posted by Zookz1

There's no possible way this game is going to meet expectations. I haven't seen this much hype for a game in a long time; even SWTOR didn't have hype like this, and it was probably the most anticipated MMO in the last five years. These forums are going to become a total shitstorm during the first few weeks, and I can't wait.

And if t this "shitstorm" doesnt happen, will you be disapointed? Will you and others of the same opinion come here and start this "shitstorm" no matter what?

This is what I find sad, people acutally excited over the idea that something will fail. People put their heart and soul into this and we got people on here rooting for it to crash. 

And what is my opinion of the game? I never said once what I thought of the game. I'm actually looking forward to it, but it's because of overly defensive people like you that this forum will turn into a total shitstorm come launch.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by FlawSGI

Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by Kuppa

There's a difference between having confidence and setting yourself up for failure. "We want to be number one" says that is their goal, if they're not, we'll hear over and over again how they've failed. It's a viscous cycle they're setting themselves up for here.

I think that every gaming company that has the potential should aim to be number one. Its actually good to hear that from them. Even if they fail, that sort of view is not for us to judge but for them to have a clear goal. You don't see the Lakers saying they wanna end up just in the playoffs image

This is a videogame company, not a sports team. The only thing being number one does is bring in more money, they don't "win" anything, and that in no way is good for us MMO gamers. Wanting to be number one in this field says they care most about the lowest common denominator. Games are typically better when they cater to a specific thing, not when they try and cater to all things.

Tell that to Blizzard, I don't think they got that memo.

I wasn't saying that anyone was wrong or right, just that some read into things differently for variouse reasons and Kuppa got what I was saying while you didn't and neather did cutthecrap. His analogy works the same with gaming as it does with sports btw, if you think athletes only wanna be #1 for the pride of it you are mistaken.

The whole point I was trying to make was that there's nothing wrong with claiming your goal is to be number 1 at something and that the statement in and of itself can be viewed in different ways depending on where you stand with the devs themselves and that neither view is wrong. Some will see cockiness and become bitter and irritated and others like me see confidence and feel comforted that they beleive in their product.

I personally don't like Blizzard's games.

That's beside the point though, it's not really about getting your point, it's about sharing my own, and what concerns me about statements like that in reference to games. First we have the inevitable proverbial troll ammo from comments like that, then we have the fact to be number one, you have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

In this day and age that usually means a severely "dumbed down" game. Doesn't mean that will be the case, the wording simply brings that impression to me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

There's no possible way this game is going to meet expectations. I haven't seen this much hype for a game in a long time; even SWTOR didn't have hype like this, and it was probably the most anticipated MMO in the last five years. These forums are going to become a total shitstorm during the first few weeks, and I can't wait.

Seriously... I haven't seen this much whinning over something so trivial.

GW2's 'hype' = posting new info on the game & the developers. Not a marketting trailer, or promises. Actually info that you can physically see for yourself.

SWTOR's 'hype' = Full CG trailers, bostful claims about how the game 'will be', instead of how the game is.

So really... I have to ask, given that GW2's hype is almost entirely info on the game or it's developers, and this seems to offend you (and others), why are you guys even here on these boards? Seriously. Why go to a discussion forum about a well followed game, and bitch about every new piece of info they release on it?

If you're burnt out, don't follow the game for a while. I'm sure somewhere along the line you'll either stumble across the release date, or catch on that people have started playing it.

- I think that a lot of people are starting to confuse 'information burnout' with 'hype'.

Originally posted by aesperus

Seriously... I haven't seen this much whinning over something so trivial.

GW2's 'hype' = posting new info on the game & the developers. Not a marketting trailer, or promises. Actually info that you can physically see for yourself.

SWTOR's 'hype' = Full CG trailers, bostful claims about how the game 'will be', instead of how the game is.

So really... I have to ask, given that GW2's hype is almost entirely info on the game or it's developers, and this seems to offend you (and others), why are you guys even here on these boards? Seriously. Why go to a discussion forum about a well followed game, and bitch about every new piece of info they release on it?

If you're burnt out, don't follow the game for a while. I'm sure somewhere along the line you'll either stumble across the release date, or catch on that people have started playing it.

- I think that a lot of people are starting to confuse 'information burnout' with 'hype'.

People were discussing the amount of hype for GW2. I chimed in with my opinion. Sorry it chapped your ass.

edit: To clarify, I am talking about the amount of hype from fans. Not the company.

• BigHatLoganBigHatLogan Member Posts: 688

Either a shitstorm or a ghost town...  I love the fact that SWTOR is tanking, I wanted that to happen before it was released since it was well known that it was a simplified WoW clone.  The SWTOR devs even stated that they copied WoW because it is dumb not to copy the vision of their most successful competitor.  They certainly aren't alone in their thinking.  GW2 deserves hype and praise for doing something different, whether you actually like the game or not.  I personally am a little worried about the lack of open pvp, but the WvWvW looks like it could be a lot of fun.  Anyway, Guild Wars 1 is as much of an MMORPG as SWTOR is and a lot of people really liked GW1.  Anet has yet to really screw the pooch on anything so they should get the benefit of the doubt.  They are making some ambitious claims, but the videos and previews coming out look to support them.  Perhaps it is time for jaded mmorpgers to say NO to WoW clones, and realize that it doesn't have to be that way.  When an innovative product finds success, perhaps your triple A developers will take notice and actually try to innovate themselves instead of the relentless WoW cloning.  Whether you like the game or not, GW2 is good for the genre, the exact opposite of SWTOR. 

Are you a Pavlovian Fish Biscuit Addict? Get Help Now!
    I will play no more MMORPGs until somethign good comes out!

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

And if t this "shitstorm" doesnt happen, will you be disapointed? Will you and others of the same opinion come here and start this "shitstorm" no matter what?

This is what I find sad, people acutally excited over the idea that something will fail. People put their heart and soul into this and we got people on here rooting for it to crash. 

And what is my opinion of the game? I never said once what I thought of the game. I'm actually looking forward to it, but it's because of overly defensive people like you that this forum will turn into a total shitstorm come launch.

"There forums are going to become a total shitstorm during the first few weeks, and I can't wait." Is what you said. Dont you get all "oh no, you miss understood me fan boy, I like the game" on me. There is no way that can NOT be taken as you are looking forward to people being disapointed in this game.  What kind of person does that?

I get "defensive" as you put it cause I am so sick of self rightous people comeing on here and telling us how stupid we are for looking forward to features in a game that we have all seen.  Sorry if people like the idea and cant wait for what has been shown. 

Why must peeps put down other game's in an attempt to support this one? And you're completely wrong btw, Those CGI trailers only served one purpose; a set up for where the story in the game began. They weren't meant to give an impression of how the game would play.

They also made trailers showcasing what the game looked like and how it played. The only claim that wasn't fullflled was Ilum. It didn't work right, this happens with MMO's from time to time.

The only other thing people can say in that regard is that they oversold their combat very early on (years ago) making it sound "actiony". When all they did was remove auto-attack. And synced up animations.

In short: People need to stop using what they read on forums as real information, this would be like me saying, GW2 is Pay2win, it's completely instanced, and all their fans are crazed lunatics.

In this day and age that usually means a severely "dumbed down" game. Doesn't mean that will be the case, the wording simply brings that impression to me.

I get you're point, but I think you are also overlooking their entire design philosophy (which drives their game).

Of course they want to be #1, most studios do. That doesn't mean they pander to the lowest common denominator. I think Valve is a really good example of this. They want to be one of the best studios (and imho they are), but they want to do it making games how they want to make them.

Anet's entire design philosophy centers around it's players. If you haven't been following, they are focused on the community their game encourages, and basing it's mechanics off that. This is why they are so adamant about not including things that conflict with people playing together, or that would hurt one person's play experience to boost anothers. A lot of their controversial decisions can be traced back to this. It's why they don't have traditional raids, it's why they don't have open pvp, it's why they don't have need-greed looting, etc. etc. etc.

Take that as you will, but nothing in their design philosophy forces the game to be easy. There is pleanty of room for challenge, and from what I've played the challenge is there (though for some won't readily be noticeable). Similar to the first game, some of the challenge comes from fighting mobs of a higher level than you. Some of the mobs can 1-shot you in some cases, if you're not careful. Not in the starter zones, but if you venture out into some of the harder areas, then yes. The ettins are a good example of this (if you don't evade / interrupt their big smash attack).

Furthermore, I don't know if you've ever played the first game, but GW1 is still one of the hardest online RPGs I've ever played to this day. I tried picking it up again recently, and I've never died so many times in an online game, ever, lol.

"There forums are going to become a total shitstorm during the first few weeks, and I can't wait." Is what you said. Dont you get all "oh no, you miss understood me fan boy, I like the game" on me. There is no way that can NOT be taken as you are looking forward to people being disapointed in this game.  What kind of person does that?

I get "defensive" as you put it cause I am so sick of self rightous people comeing on here and telling us how stupid we are for looking forward to features in a game that we have all seen.  Sorry if people like the idea and cant wait for what has been shown. 

I like seeing forum drama. It's immature, but hey, we all have our vices. Reading the insanity of EVE drama is great; Watching the Mortal Online failboat is also entertaining. It has nothing to do with wanting those game to fail. Stop telling me what my motivations are. Like I said, you guys are far too defensive.

Why must peeps put down other game's in an attempt to support this one? And you're completely wrong btw, Those CGI trailers only served one purpose; a set up for where the story in the game began. They weren't meant to give an impression of how the game would play.

They also made trailers showcasing what the game looked like and how it played. The only claim that wasn't fullflled was Ilum. It didn't work right, this happens with MMO's from time to time.

The only other thing people can say in that regard is that they oversold their combat very early on (years ago) making it sound "actiony". When all they did was remove auto-attack. And synced up animations.

1) If you look at the quote (which you so cleverly cut) you will notice that it's in direct response to someone (not you), and I normally do try and avoid bringing other games into it. To paraphrase, the person mentions how SWTOR wasn't nearly as hyped as GW2 is. I think that's bs, unless you distort the very definition of what hype actually is.

2) They made and showed the trailers to hype the game. It's hype because it has almost nothing to do w/ the game, other than it being star wars. Whether you watch the trailers or not has absolutely zero effect on your understand of the game, or it's story. It's there to look cool, and it does it well.

3) I also mention that SWTOR had a lot of promises that went w/ this. GW2 doesn't. There are a few features we haven't seen yet, but none of them are core mechanics.

- And finally, please READ a post before you decide to tear it apart. If you like, I can even provide you with the definition of hype. Again, the post is in no way bashing SWTOR. It's simply showing the difference of what 'actual hype' is, vs. actual information. Please read, before you post. Thank you.

• silvermembersilvermember Member UncommonPosts: 526

@distopia I always thought this was common but I guess not. In school most of the students are told to aim for a grade of A. The reason for that is, by working for an A you are more likely to get an B or higher. It's always a good idea in general to shoot for the stars because you might actually hit it. It not about arrogance, it about being good.

I like seeing forum drama. It's immature, but hey, we all have our vices. Reading the insanity of EVE drama is great; Watching the Mortal Online failboat is also entertaining. It has nothing to do with wanting those game to fail. Stop telling me what my motivations are. Like I said, you guys are far too defensive.

There you go with that "you people". Nice deflection there kid.

SO you are saying you want everyone to be disapointed with this game... but you like the game. You dont want the game to fail, but you want people to not like the game enough to go to forums to express their displeasure.  So you, and "your people" just want to start forum drama... mmm, we need a name for that.

1) If you look at the quote (which you so cleverly cut) you will notice that it's in direct response to someone (not you), and I normally do try and avoid bringing other games into it. To paraphrase, the person mentions how SWTOR wasn't nearly as hyped as GW2 is. I think that's bs, unless you distort the very definition of what hype actually is.

2) They made and showed the trailers to hype the game. It's hype because it has almost nothing to do w/ the game, other than it being star wars. Whether you watch the trailers or not has absolutely zero effect on your understand of the game, or it's story. It's there to look cool, and it does it well.

3) I also mention that SWTOR had a lot of promises that went w/ this. GW2 doesn't. There are a few features we haven't seen yet, but none of them are core mechanics.

- And finally, please READ a post before you decide to tear it apart. If you like, I can even provide you with the definition of hype. Again, the post is in no way bashing SWTOR. It's simply showing the difference of what 'actual hype' is, vs. actual information. Please read, before you post. Thank you.

I knew what you were responding to, and I read your whole post, the above was what I wanted to reply to.

• caremuchlesscaremuchless Member Posts: 603

For one, SWTOR isn't the end all be all of all mmos. 

Speaking of terms of hype, GW2 had more hype during pre and post release of SWTOR.

And it doesn't matter one damn bit if this game doesn't meet "Expectations".

And by expectations, I mean "everyones" expectations. I don't care if it doesn't meet your expectations.

And even if it doesnt reach my expectations, it will still have done better than anything thats on the market currently and that still leaves GW2 sitting pretty.

Originally posted by silvermember

@distopia I always thought this was common but I guess not. In school most of the students are told to aim for a grade of A. The reason for that is, by working for an A you are more likely to get an B or higher. It's always a good idea in general to shoot for the stars because you might actually hit it. It not about arrogance, it about being good.

I didn't say anything about arrogance. I'm only looking at the ways companies typically shoot for the stars. Which usually lands them an F.

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Originally posted by Serelisk

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by Eir_S

It's Puremallace, I don't know why anyone still takes his bait.

^^This times 100.

The least he could do is get his facts straight.

What facts do I need to get straight? The last update to Guild Wars. What did it do some new quest and I think a new zone and items added to the cash shop. Where is the genre changing stuff there?

What has this dev done to impress me? As far as I can tell outside of the pvp changes they have put into the genre they have been flat out lazy on the pve side. Hell on the pvp I consider them lazy because they COMPLETELY homogenized the classes because Trinity is too hard to balance and completely killed world pvp.

"Now 2 years of delays on a game that was promised in 2011 Summer we are hyped again. WHERE THE HELL IS THE OUTRAGE OVER no open beta in December of 2011 like they touted?"

ArenaNet has never given a release date(excluding a beta test in late 2008, which they renounced). It's always been when it's ready. They also never promised an open beta in December. They said closed betas would begin by the end of 2011, which they did. There was a closed beta test in the middle of December 2011.

Why are you even talking about Guild Wars 1? You clearly neither follow nor care for it. Aside from that being false information, highlighting your unwillingness to actually back up the things you say with some semblance of fact, Guild Wars 1 is not Guild Wars 2, so whatever disembodied point you're attempting to make is moot.

None of us actually care if what they're doing impresses you. None of us are out to convert or antagonize you because of your opinion. Whatever persecution complex you're suffering from is entirely self inflicted.

Thanks Serelisk.  I got pulled away to work and couldn't answer right away.  You said exactly what I was talking about.  Sorry, Puremallace, you may think you're being objective and factual but anyone taking even a casual glance at your post history regarding GW2 will find that you are neither.

Maybe from now on when you state "objective facts" you could maybe link to your source?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

GW2:

Like it, love it or hate it, You have to admit, With the given billing structure, this game can not be hurt financially from any over hype let down. In fact the more that buy it up front due to hype, even if they wouldn't have otherwise, the better it is for GW2. They do not have to worry about subs dropping off after 30 days. Ongoing box sales will drop off after a few months regardless of the hype factor. In my opinion, the more hype this game generates, the more it becomes Win/Win for ANet.

That said, I do think this hype is going to bite them. Not sure how hard but there will be some disappointment. But, by then, ANet will have already made their money. They are quite clearly going after the WoW crowd with a game that isn't designed for the WoW crowd. I don't know how that's going to work for them 3 months down the road. But as I said. They'll have sold their millions of boxes with no care of retaining Sub fees. 

There you go with that "you people". Nice deflection there kid.

SO you are saying you want everyone to be disapointed with this game... but you like the game. You dont want the game to fail, but you want people to not like the game enough to go to forums to express their displeasure.  So you, and "your people" just want to start forum drama... mmm, we need a name for that.

[Mod Edit]

• DLangleyDLangley Member Posts: 1,407

Let's keep the discussion civil guys. Thanks!

• OldMMOGamerOldMMOGamer Member UncommonPosts: 100

It's coming GW2 fans, every person in the world will be giving "their" opinion on what "they" think this game "should" have been .  Troll monster cometh!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Unlight

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooo muchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hypeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. Will it ever end. Nice read and in depth articles about the devs.

There arrogance is really starting to piss me off though just so you know. The "we know better then everyone else" attitude is getting old and will bite them once the game is released.

They've got *nothing* on Bioware, when it comes to arrogance.  But for the most part, they're very diplomatic when they refer to their competitors.  Only Mike O'Brien strikes me as a bit cocky.  I wish he would adopt more of a quiet confidence stance.

EDIT:  Oh, and I think they actually do know better.  But I'd prefer if they let their work speak to that though.

I'd have to agree with that. BW are not very humble.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Originally posted by evolver1972

Originally posted by Eir_S

It's Puremallace, I don't know why anyone still takes his bait.

^^This times 100.

The least he could do is get his facts straight.

LOL.  You're kidding, right?  That would completely go against the divine plan to turn people from this evil called Guild Wars 2. The plan must not be thwarted.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club