Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

review (short) Thumbs Up

holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

TERA is a lot like WoW and almost every other MMO, but better.  Style-wise it's closely linked to Aion, but has far superior graphics and far more of an "open area" feeling (2x as much as SWTOR).  All NPCs are interactable (Unlike SWTOR) and the world is immersive.  Everything you expect from an MMO is here, expect better (minus battlegrounds).

Combat is the biggest cool thing about Tera.  You actually aim and use your ability where you're aiming.  There are also many wayts to dodge attacks, which makes combat about 100% more involving and less-boring than tab-targetting.

I do like the game based on my initial playtime.  I just got to the main city and got my first mount.

BIggest bummer is battlegrounds won't be in until summer.  Those are kind of standard nowadays.

Quests are pretty much the same as usual, except the number you have to do for whatever is cut in half, so that's nice.

Runs super smooth on high and I don't have all that great a computer.  Puts SWTOR to shame graphics/performance-wise.

Can't say enough good things about how the combat works.  Playing my sorcerer is lots of fun.  Totally different than normal mage gameplay where you stand still and cast spells.

I'd say 8/10 and only because battlegrounds aren't in.  About 10x more fun and detailed than SWTOR.  Definitely a good filler for people who got burned by SWTOR and are waiting for GW2.  I may not even get GW2 if they implement battlegrounds quick enough.  I usually enjoy most the action and unpredictablity of pvp in mmos, so not having battlegrounds is a big bummer for me.  Fortunatley, some of that same action and reaction stuff is found in the PVE in this game, and it's enough to keep me interested.  You'll definitely have more fun doing the PVE in this game than any other.

This thing has had a lot of polish done in Korea before it got here and it shows.  The same was true with Aion but this game just blows Aion away in quality and gameplay.  This makes a big difference because there aren't tons and tons of bugs (I haven't seen a single one yet) and gameplay has all been worked out already, which doesn't happen with a brand new game.

Only weird thing is I play an Elin and there is no possible way you can stand without seeing her panties.  Definitely some asian-perv influence there.  I'll be playing something different at launch because it's just too pervy.

tldr: action based combat makes all the difference.  missing more pvp options, unfortunately, but they will be put in later.  Right now it's a great-looking and fun quest-pve game.

I'm really looking forward to doing an instance and seeing how the action oriented combat plays out in a group.

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

dont want battle grounds on the pvp servers and you dont have to quest any more story yous hould ( after you get to like 20)

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Speaking of pvp, today was so epic. So some of our guild was farming the lvl 32 world boss, and than 2 guild that warred us eailer decide to team up against us. So we had like 15 people than as peopel got here we had like 24, and good 5-6 of them were not even lvl 30. So we started on the world boss and the 2 guild joined forces and jumped us at like 25% hp left, we lost coz i was tanking and got killed so the BAM ran through our group and got more kills than they did on us XD (at thsi point they had total of about 40 people 25 from 1 guild 15 ish from other) So we all regroup cc, and go back. than they found what ch we were in and scouted us and we were like get ready guys. So this time we saw them grouping up and since we knew they were 2 guilds their communction is going to be off, so 1 guild was there while the other went back to town. So we rush them before they could group, and took out people as they ran away, than rest of their group came but we still won about 25v40. Than we go back farm few more world boss, than they charge us again and again using better tactic we beat 25v40 =D most fun i ever had lol =P Only death was 1 guy who had to afk coz of a phone call right before the attack. XD After that they pretty much left us alone, i guess lossing 40 to 25 is pretty demoralizing =P but was fun. This was the type of pvp i wanted to do =D

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by rexzshadow

Speaking of pvp, today was so epic. So some of our guild was farming the lvl 32 world boss, and than 2 guild that warred us eailer decide to team up against us. So we had like 15 people than as peopel got here we had like 24, and good 5-6 of them were not even lvl 30. So we started on the world boss and the 2 guild joined forces and jumped us at like 25% hp left, we lost coz i was tanking and got killed so the BAM ran through our group and got more kills than they did on us XD (at thsi point they had total of about 40 people 25 from 1 guild 15 ish from other) So we all regroup cc, and go back. than they found what ch we were in and scouted us and we were like get ready guys. So this time we saw them grouping up and since we knew they were 2 guilds their communction is going to be off, so 1 guild was there while the other went back to town. So we rush them before they could group, and took out people as they ran away, than rest of their group came but we still won about 25v40. Than we go back farm few more world boss, than they charge us again and again using better tactic we beat 25v40 =D most fun i ever had lol =P Only death was 1 guy who had to afk coz of a phone call right before the attack. XD After that they pretty much left us alone, i guess lossing 40 to 25 is pretty demoralizing =P but was fun. This was the type of pvp i wanted to do =D

I'm sure that was fun, but the same kind of thing happens in any game with an open PVP option.  The difference is normally there's also open world objectives, battlegrounds, lootable players or some other reason to kill people just for the sake of killing people.

Now, I don't know about endgame- there may be open world pvp objectives but I kind of doubt it.  The game is very PVE oriented.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

TERA is a lot like WoW and almost every other MMO, but better.  Style-wise it's closely linked to Aion, but has far superior graphics and far more of an "open area" feeling (2x as much as SWTOR).  All NPCs are interactable (Unlike SWTOR) and the world is immersive.  Everything you expect from an MMO is here, expect better (minus battlegrounds).

Combat is the biggest cool thing about Tera.  You actually aim and use your ability where you're aiming.  There are also many wayts to dodge attacks, which makes combat about 100% more involving and less-boring than tab-targetting.

I do like the game based on my initial playtime.  I just got to the main city and got my first mount.

BIggest bummer is battlegrounds won't be in until summer.  Those are kind of standard nowadays.

Quests are pretty much the same as usual, except the number you have to do for whatever is cut in half, so that's nice.

Runs super smooth on high and I don't have all that great a computer.  Puts SWTOR to shame graphics/performance-wise.

Can't say enough good things about how the combat works.  Playing my sorcerer is lots of fun.  Totally different than normal mage gameplay where you stand still and cast spells.

I'd say 8/10 and only because battlegrounds aren't in.  About 10x more fun and detailed than SWTOR.  Definitely a good filler for people who got burned by SWTOR and are waiting for GW2.  I may not even get GW2 if they implement battlegrounds quick enough.  I usually enjoy most the action and unpredictablity of pvp in mmos, so not having battlegrounds is a big bummer for me.  Fortunatley, some of that same action and reaction stuff is found in the PVE in this game, and it's enough to keep me interested.  You'll definitely have more fun doing the PVE in this game than any other.

This thing has had a lot of polish done in Korea before it got here and it shows.  The same was true with Aion but this game just blows Aion away in quality and gameplay.  This makes a big difference because there aren't tons and tons of bugs (I haven't seen a single one yet) and gameplay has all been worked out already, which doesn't happen with a brand new game.

Only weird thing is I play an Elin and there is no possible way you can stand without seeing her panties.  Definitely some asian-perv influence there.  I'll be playing something different at launch because it's just too pervy.

tldr: action based combat makes all the difference.  missing more pvp options, unfortunately, but they will be put in later.  Right now it's a great-looking and fun quest-pve game.

I'm really looking forward to doing an instance and seeing how the action oriented combat plays out in a group.

I enjoyed the open Beta, but just not quite enough to fork out the 50$ for it.  Almost, but not quite.   I am having a hard time doing the quests in games after TOR.  I wish they would have taken the mmo and combat aspects of Tera and put it into the existing quest/story system from TOR.  I think I would have been in heaven.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by niceguy3978

I enjoyed the open Beta, but just not quite enough to fork out the 50$ for it.  Almost, but not quite.   I am having a hard time doing the quests in games after TOR.  I wish they would have taken the mmo and combat aspects of Tera and put it into the existing quest/story system from TOR.  I think I would have been in heaven.

Actually I find that after you leave the Island that Tera is like a sand box game, the quests are hard to find and there is all kinds of exploriing, yes you have a few quests in velkan castle but once outside there are no quest givers in sight , no monsters either which is weird , you have to ride awhile I guess to get quest givers and monsters

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

I'm sure that was fun, but the same kind of thing happens in any game with an open PVP option.  The difference is normally there's also open world objectives, battlegrounds, lootable players or some other reason to kill people just for the sake of killing people.

Now, I don't know about endgame- there may be open world pvp objectives but I kind of doubt it.  The game is very PVE oriented.

The one key different is how stratgey matters in Tera, many other games if your outnumbered 2 to 1 and your not like overgeared compare to the enemy. Your pretty much screwed no matter what. Where in Tera the position and how well your team work together can let you win a 25 vs 40 =P (even in term of gears and lvl)

@eddieg50 thats because you decide to not follow the main story quest that told you to use the pegsus to next area and went off randomly to area where you don't have quest yet =P

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Originally posted by eddieg50

Actually I find that after you leave the Island that Tera is like a sand box game, the quests are hard to find and there is all kinds of exploriing, yes you have a few quests in velkan castle but once outside there are no quest givers in sight , no monsters either which is weird , you have to ride awhile I guess to get quest givers and monsters

It's funny but it's very possible, depending on how you explore/follow the world/map, etc to completley miss an area that you had done before.

There is this sort of silly hamlet sort of place where I levelled several times over the course of the betas. Now during this OB I realized that I completely missed it and have now outlevelled it.

One can just explore and get into trouble. The quests do give decent xp and decent awards but you can grab a few, finish them, continue on those mobs for a while, run into someone needing help with a BAM, suddenly get into BAM fighting and eventually turn in the quests after leveling from all the BAM fighting. Top that with the pvp on the pvp servers and it's an interesting game.

There's a lot that's mundane but a lot of entertainment you can craft yourself.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

/snip

I'm torn on this topic,  on the one hand I find it refreshing that I can just pvp in the open world without rewards or trinkets.  Then again I would like owpvp to have some sort of meaning when players do get to lvl cap and start vying for political land.  Perhaps the future 4 way server wars will resolve that.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MoonBeansMoonBeans Member Posts: 173

i see Tera like, wow, lineage 2,  rift, and aion .   all those games combined together.     wich is a good thing to me

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

You are supposed to get a pegasus to the next area once you are done in city :p 

The area outside the city is so empty, from what i read, because there was the idea to make the city expandable and ofc for invasions.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Originally posted by Kehdar

You are supposed to get a pegasus to the next area once you are done in city :p 

The area outside the city is so empty, from what i read, because there was the idea to make the city expandable and ofc for invasions.

The area outside of Velika is for anything the players want to do with it. GvG, Events, and other misc stuff. If you populate every inch of the game world with mobs and encounters, there is very little to do outside of what has been stated. TERA has some very beautifully rendered panoramas that are free of mobs, and can be RPed heavily.

On a side note, the guild housing in the game is not instanced. There are 8 guild halls  that I saw in the main city.. and I have been told there are 50 TOTAL guild halls in game. I saw 2 huge guild halls in the main city. That means that with over 200 guilds, there is going to be some racing to get to own these, and keep em.

If the TERA devs are smart, they will put a "Challenge for Guild House" option on the PvP servers. Nothing will get guilds more riled up than someone trying to take their home away. Epic fighting.