Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I played the game for 3 and a half minutes - And it's the worst thing I've ever seen"

Comments

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

If you play for 3 hours and hate it, you won't just start loving it later.  You have to at least like it a little.

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Why do so many of you suffer from MMO Stockholm Syndrome? Why do you think it's OK to play games that suck and defend them?

I played the beta for get this, 10 minutes. In that time I saw a MMORPG that was different in one way, the combat. Other than that, I was bored with what I saw. What I got out of that 10 minutes is that this is just another game with levels and a gear grind, with ? ! quests, where I'm told to kill 10 pigs and collect eyeballs. A game with tanks, healers, and dps, groups and raids. I logged out and uninstalled it right there.

I've been doing these things for 10+ years. I no longer wish to do these stale things. I will not pay to do these things anymore.

If you're going to reply to this then explain this one thing to me. Why is the onus on the players to suffer through the boredom that is the beginning of this MMO? Open your eyes people. You should demand more entertainment from game developers. I mean really, why do I have to slog through this same old crap until level 20? Why do I have to tell myself "OK dude, I know this sucks for now and it feels like a chore, but let's stick it out to level 20 because I hear it gets better then." I refuse to do that. That's what real life is about. I play games to get away from real life. In real life, I have to wait in line for an hour to ride Space Mountain at Disney World. I'm not going to do that in a video GAME. I play GAMES to have FUN. I refuse to buy this game AND pay $15 a month to have to slog through 20 levels lol.

I just don't understand why you people keep this crap going. By buying these games, all you're telling game devs is that hey it's cool, keep making the same old boring dogshit, we'll keep lapping it up from you.

Wake up people. Personally I think this game is headed for total disaster. I don't understand the hype behind it. I think it's going to be lucky to have 200k-300k initial buys, honestly.

And yes I can't wait for GW2 to come out because I really want to play something new and innovative, but also so that I can stop reading game forums with these types of threads. You people make me crazy.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by Amjoco

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by Vannor
    Any form of entertainment should draw people in from the start.. if it doesn't do that for some people then thats it's problem right there. Everyone can't and probably shouldn't do things they don't enjoy in the hope that it might get better.
    I muself got to about level 30 in TERA and I consider that a good try.. there are more wrongs with the game than right imo. For that reason I won't be buying it. Put that combat system into a more interesting world with more interesting quests and with classes I find more appealing and I would have been into it.

I disagree. I think that video games have to afford a larger learning curve since it is an interactive media. So what ends up happening is that the more familiar you are with how these games work, the more boring the starting levels feel. Conversely, if you aren't used to the combat system or how quests and travel work, then the opening levels are a good way to get you acclimated.
    If you start off you game with the training wheels off, you alienate a large number of potential customers. Its not that big of a deal if an mmo has a slow start. It doesn't get good til level 11? Big deal. That's like 2 hours out of 1000+.

So your telling us they shouldn't be entertaining from the start. hmmm

I didn't say that. hmmm

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

Originally posted by kanezfan

Why do so many of you suffer from MMO Stockholm Syndrome? Why do you think it's OK to play games that suck and defend them?

I played the beta for get this, 10 minutes. In that time I saw a MMORPG that was different in one way, the combat. Other than that, I was bored with what I saw. What I got out of that 10 minutes is that this is just another game with levels and a gear grind, with ? ! quests, where I'm told to kill 10 pigs and collect eyeballs. A game with tanks, healers, and dps, groups and raids. I logged out and uninstalled it right there.

I've been doing these things for 10+ years. I no longer wish to do these stale things. I will not pay to do these things anymore.

If you're going to reply to this then explain this one thing to me. Why is the onus on the players to suffer through the boredom that is the beginning of this MMO? 

I don't agree with other posters, on how you have to endure the first levels if you don't like them, imo if you dislike the first levels you are not going to fall in love with the game at level 20, yes it's a lot better at 20 but won't change your mind.

So my anser is simple, is not on the players if a player don't like a game he should not play it.

But i'm sorry you enter in the kind of players i was describing some post above this. Not every players is the same and not every game is made for you.

And more impontat not every player should prove you right in following you in your choice.

You don't like Tera? it's fine. I don't play games that suck, i play game that i like and who are you to tell me what should i like?

• kanezfankanezfan Member UncommonPosts: 482

Originally posted by Kehdar

If you're going to reply to this then explain this one thing to me. Why is the onus on the players to suffer through the boredom that is the beginning of this MMO? 

I don't agree with other posters, on how you have to endure the first levels if you don't like them, imo if you dislike the first levels you are not going to fall in love with the game at level 20, yes it's a lot better at 20 but won't change your mind.
    So my anser is simple, is not on the players if a player don't like a game he should not play it.

But i'm sorry you enter in the kind of players i was describing some post above this. Not every players is the same and not every game is made for you.
    And more impontat not every player should prove you right in following you in your choice.
    You don't like Tera? it's fine. I don't play games that suck, i play game that i like and who are you to tell me what should i like?

I get extremely annoyed by people that say we should give it a chance and play to level xx otherwise our opinion doesn't matter, or say that I have ADD and that I'm an impatient child or whatever other insults they fling out there. I'm not telling you what to like. I just wish that this attitude that if you don't like Tera, you're lazy and a casual bad that can't get past level 3 in WoW would go away.

• Deron_BarakDeron_Barak Member Posts: 1,136
    @Kanezfan

First, your heart man, calm down. I don't care how long you have played MMOs for. If in that amount of time you can't contrast and compare features in MMOs then that time aparently wasn't useful. You already seemed to have a water mark set that nothing will compare to. That's cook just realize it and let people enjoy their game. I bet you're going to every other forum of games coming out doing the sane thing huh? Lol.

Chill and head back to giving hi-fives with the rest of the people you'll be murdering over threads in a few months.

Just not worth my time anymore.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

No one really cares because it is just an opinion. But I tried the free beta just to see what was up. And the combat was interesting, but no where near good enough to replace the lack of anything else. I can never go back to the text based questing. It just will never happen.

Good luck to those who think it will be a game for them, but it is just not a very good game at all for me. Even the graphics looked bad to me. Just not my cup of tea. No reason to bash people that like it though.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

If you're going to reply to this then explain this one thing to me. Why is the onus on the players to suffer through the boredom that is the beginning of this MMO? Open your eyes people. You should demand more entertainment from game developers. I mean really, why do I have to slog through this same old crap until level 20? Why do I have to tell myself "OK dude, I know this sucks for now and it feels like a chore, but let's stick it out to level 20 because I hear it gets better then." I refuse to do that. That's what real life is about. I play games to get away from real life. In real life, I have to wait in line for an hour to ride Space Mountain at Disney World. I'm not going to do that in a video GAME. I play GAMES to have FUN. I refuse to buy this game AND pay $15 a month to have to slog through 20 levels lol.

I just don't understand why you people keep this crap going. By buying these games, all you're telling game devs is that hey it's cool, keep making the same old boring dogshit, we'll keep lapping it up from you.

Wake up people. Personally I think this game is headed for total disaster. I don't understand the hype behind it. I think it's going to be lucky to have 200k-300k initial buys, honestly.

And yes I can't wait for GW2 to come out because I really want to play something new and innovative, but also so that I can stop reading game forums with these types of threads. You people make me crazy.

I really like this, I'll offer you a job. You're seem good at making decisions for ppl.

Wake me up tomorrow, at 7:00 and make up my itinerary for the day, providing my meals and how i should brush my hair. I've been meaning to live a simpler, non thinking existence. You'll be perfect for the post. Welcome Aboard!!

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I get extremely annoyed by people that say we should give it a chance and play to level xx otherwise our opinion doesn't matter, or say that I have ADD and that I'm an impatient child or whatever other insults they fling out there. I'm not telling you what to like. I just wish that this attitude that if you don't like Tera, you're lazy and a casual bad that can't get past level 3 in WoW would go away.

Ok as i said I agree on this. 

I belive it get better at 20, but there is no miracle, if someone hated it at 10 will still hate it at 20.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

I think it is quite easy to get a rather negative first impression of Tera. The new prologue is especially bad in my opinion, and the Isle of Dawn as a whole is pretty uninspiring. It gets better, but I think many people won't survive the start. I must admit, I almost l quite the game myself when I saw how ridiculous the female "armors" are (and they still make me uncomfortable).

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Originally posted by Terminus-Est

I think it is quite easy to get a rather negative first impression of Tera. The new prologue is especially bad in my opinion, and the Isle of Dawn as a whole is pretty uninspiring. It gets better, but I think many people won't survive the start. I must admit, I almost l quite the game myself when I saw how ridiculous the female "armors" are (and they still make me uncomfortable).

OT:  If memory serves, wasn't Terminus-Est the name of the sword in that Gene Wolfe series?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

If the game hasn't sparked your interest in the first 15 minutes they've done something wrong. Not saying the entire game is bad but it should be fun from the start or like I said, interesting.

Remember the first time you went into WoW and everything just felt so damn polished? Smooth controls, character animations, intuitive UI and most of all people didn't need a tutorial. For it's time that was a pretty big thing.

But for me it did get my attention long before the 15 minute mark.

• Terminus-EstTerminus-Est Member UncommonPosts: 352

Originally posted by Charlizzard

OT:  If memory serves, wasn't Terminus-Est the name of the sword in that Gene Wolfe series?

Yes. Severian's sword.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

If the game hasn't sparked your interest in the first 15 minutes they've done something wrong. Not saying the entire game is bad but it should be fun from the start or like I said, interesting.

Remember the first time you went into WoW and everything just felt so damn polished? Smooth controls, character animations, intuitive UI and most of all people didn't need a tutorial. For it's time that was a pretty big thing.

But for me it did get my attention long before the 15 minute mark

I disagree that they botched the opening.  There's an epic short movie explaining why you get there and you get to try out abilities you'll have when you're level 20.

Compare that to WoW where you magically appear in front of a farmer who tells you to kill 10 imps.  LOL

People can decide whenever they want if a game is going to be for them or not.  But before you delete Tera from your computer, consider what the first 8 horus were like in any other MMORPG.  They're always designed to give you a feel for how to play the game and are never representative of what most of the game is going to be like.

Only opening I liked better was LOTRO, because it was really dramatic, even if the fights were typical tab target and easy.  But I really like the idea of starting you out at 20 to give you a really good idea of what your class is going to be like.

• ArkiniaArkinia Member Posts: 251

Originally posted by Sideras

But for me it did get my attention long before the 15 minute mark.

I disagree with this. My  first hour playing Tera was Terable! I hated the combat system, the look and style of the charcters, silly races... I was thinking, how can I get my money back even though I preordered and knew I couldn't. However, I persevered and glad I did. It took awhile for me to get used to the mechanics and once I did, and I'm still having some issues, I started having fun, even though I'm still not thrilled with some of the races and the kindegarten chat. I'm assuming that will pass once the Beta ends. Once past the starting area, the chat really picked up and was free of the juvenile jerkoffs that infested the starting area, here were the serious players. I'm just shocked at how fast many of them have leveled. I'm still doing Fed Ex quests but mobs are now attacking me which is more to my liking. I;m enjoyung my time so far and plan on coninuing my subscription and still excitedly awaiting GW2. I can have my cake and eat it, too.

• chibineko89chibineko89 Member CommonPosts: 107

Originally posted by holdenhamlet

[quote]

But for me it did get my attention long before the 15 minute mark.[/quote]

I disagree that they botched the opening.  There's an epic short movie explaining why you get there and you get to try out abilities you'll have when you're level 20.

Compare that to WoW where you magically appear in front of a farmer who tells you to kill 10 imps.  LOL

People can decide whenever they want if a game is going to be for them or not.  But before you delete Tera from your computer, consider what the first 8 horus were like in any other MMORPG.  They're always designed to give you a feel for how to play the game and are never representative of what most of the game is going to be like.

Only opening I liked better was LOTRO, because it was really dramatic, even if the fights were typical tab target and easy.  But I really like the idea of starting you out at 20 to give you a really good idea of what your class is going to be like.

the game needs to b FUN to want to play it for 8hrs i got through the starter area and i didnt care to to even log back in

• Skarecrow7Skarecrow7 Member UncommonPosts: 339

I played in an earlier beta for about an hour and didnt care for it. Decided to give it another chance this week end. Played for about 3 hours. It was ok, nothing I would buy or see myself playing on a regular basis. I can see it being really popular with a niche market. Hopefully there is enough people to make a loyal communtiy. I just know it wont include me because this game isnt for me. No harm no foul, not everyone like the same sort of game.

Granted I never would even have said anything, but since the OP is saying that you have to play at lest TEN hours before it really gets fun... err, yeah, gotta chime in on that. Ten hours? sersiously? If after three I am not sure about it, or not haveing enough fun to buy it, no fricken WAY am I going to keep playing. A game need to get ya within that first hour, if it doent another game out there will.

• headphonesheadphones Member Posts: 611

Originally posted by Jayaris

Why are people judging the game based off of less than 10 hours playing time? The game isn't 10 hours long, a miniscule fraction of the game is 10 hours. So don't play for four hours and say 'Overall' I think TERA is bad - You haven't played the game, you've messed around for a few hours.

it's a valid reason to not like a game.

the big problem with mmos is they often skimp out on the early part of the game as they focus more on endgame for the raiders. in my opinion, they're catering to the wrong group.

the WHOLE game needs to be a fantastic experience. not just the end. or that bit over there. the whole game needs to capture you. and, like a good book or movie, if you can't impress your customer/audience in the first chapter/ten minutes, you really have failed. i have seen a few movies where i like the end, or i like the middle, but the rest was rubbish. in all cases, i wouldn't watch the film again. same with books. i wouldn't read them again.

but those which are amazing all the way through, they keep you going back.

if an mmo needs you to play longer than 10 hours just to become mildly interesting, then there's some serious work needing to be done.

• dirlokdirlok Member UncommonPosts: 16

I agree, if you only give the game a small amount of time you wont get the proper experience. Although MMO's are meant to draw from the start.

I must admit, if I only played the first 10 levels I'd probably not continue. The game changes dramatically (IMO) for the better once you leave the start zone (Island of Dawn).

Tip - give the game a chance and play passed level 11. You'll enjoy it.

Tip 2 - Its not like other MMO's. Take your time killing mobs, position yourself, use your abilities properly. You'll enjoy the game so much more.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

i always give a game at least 4 hours. 4 hours is a long enough time to base an opinion on something.

we judge people in less than 10 seconds, so 4 hours for something is awesome lol. i didnt like the game personally. more interested in archeage and pso2.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371

It s all a matter of opinion, of course, but I didn t find the game any better after 11 or after the magic number of 20. It s still the same MMO we ve played for years. Yes thats you BAMs and Dungeons I m talking to. The Bams I found to get redundant after awhile, gets boring, just like Rift, rifts did.

• dirlokdirlok Member UncommonPosts: 16

Originally posted by Leucent

It s all a matter of opinion, of course, but I didn t find the game any better after 11 or after the magic number of 20. It s still the same MMO we ve played for years. Yes thats you BAMs and Dungeons I m talking to. The Bams I found to get redundant after awhile, gets boring, just like Rift, rifts did.

Absolutley correct. Its a matter of opinion. I'm still looking for a new SWG (Star Wars Galaxies) style MMO. The game is the best MMO I've ever played (pre-cu).

I'm enjoying the combat of TERA. Its different, challenging and enjoyable.

• ZenIrishChaiZenIrishChai Member UncommonPosts: 527

The fact is there are MMOs that entertain me right within the first few minutes. Sometimes I'll play a game that at least shows promise in the first few minutes, and I'll enjoy it a lot more after a few hours, but why the hell would anyone waste time playing a game that isn't fun, whether it be within the first few minutes or after dozens of hours of 'giving it a chance'? It's supposed to be entertainment, so if it's not entertaining, it fails.

I think I'll stick with the ones that immediately feel fun, and especially if it stays as fun many levels later. Unless you're just harder to please and you know there isn't any other game on the market that can entertain you right at the beginning, why torture yourself? I just don't see any logic in that. I have dozens of games to play that have always been fun from start to end (or endgame) or at least however long I've been playing it towards the end. It just makes more sense to me to focus on those instead of waste my time with anything else.

• XakotXakot Member Posts: 17

Some of you need to wake up to reality in all honesty. This game is pretty good in my own opinion and i will be playing it for a while. Sure ill keep my eye out for GW2, archeage, and some of the other titles everyone is hoping and waiting on, wishing something will be completly different and change everything we know about MMO's. Your never going to be satisfied with any title ever. These elitist players wont be happy until a ".Hack//"esk mmo comes out and you can plug yourself into the game. This game is decent at least, and so will GW2 and other hyped releases, but once its out they wont be happy and will start worshipping the next hype and the next and so on never even giving most decent games a chance without their hyperelevated goals and critisicism destroying their own experiance of the game. So my request to you people is to sit back and enjoy a game to pass the time, or STFU and quietly wait for your jesus-MMO to come out.

• rexzshadowrexzshadow Member Posts: 1,428

Why do you assume everyone thinks like you? lol

This discussion has been closed.