Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Its.....so.....ugly

mechwarriormechwarrior Member Posts: 241

I read the previews and features for this game. It sounds awesome. Im a big fan of medieval rome.

But...

Its so.............UGLY!!!

Omg!!!1 I dont even know the techinal names for the models and texures its jsut so ugly!!!!1

I'd want to like this game but.....UGGGGGGGGGGGGUGUUGUGUGUG

Comments

• royalsea3royalsea3 Member UncommonPosts: 44
    I'm happy you think its ugly, hopefully this means I won't see you ingame when I play it.  If you actually cared, those screenshots don't have all the graphics turned on.  RedBedlam don't care at the moment what there screens look like, and for christ sakes.  I've played runescape and 2D games, these graphics look like a god sent from what I usually play that have alot of content.
  • LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

Originally posted by mechwarrior
    I read the previews and features for this game. It sounds awesome. Im a big fan of medieval rome.
    But...
    Omg!!!1 I dont even know the techinal names for the models and texures its jsut so ugly!!!!1

I'm glad you don't like it. Hopefully people like you and your kind will stay away from it.

• TrakenTraken Member Posts: 172

I'd say something witty...but that's been taken care of.

The graphics in place are set to "Low." When release hits you will have bushes, grass, trees, better textures, hopefully some better modelling on buildings, and hopefully a little less strange bone arangement for people. Anyways, I still play Morrowind and am playing through Gothic right now. They are ugly (morrowind gets better with mods) but are down-right fun to play.

• BestiusBestius Member Posts: 52

World of warcraft had good graphics. And look at it. As we SPEAK it is flopping in slllooowwww moootttiiionn..

Gameplay and content are higher in the priority list then graphics.

Im not anti social, im just pro solitude!

• RingerRinger Member Posts: 21

What Towerz said.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

The graphics are at a very early stage, what has been released for our viewing pleasure that is. Just check the plethora of other "The graphics suxxors!!11" threads in this forum. They will get much better but the main this is going to be the rule set and gameplay.

Let us all wait and see what it will be like, I am thinking it will be a superlative gaming experience. Translation: uber 1337 PvP pwnage. I'll burn your house down sucka! image

• ImperatorianImperatorian Member Posts: 1,000

Medieval Rome?

Heh. The game takes place in 180 AD. The medieval era takes place a couple of hundred years later. Rome wasn't there anymore in the Medieval Era.

(Unless you count the Eastern Roman Empire that did indeed survive)

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253

When I was a younger, angrier forum poster... I would have said something like...

So is your sister... but after enough beer Id still do her...

But Im more mature now image

So Ill just say.... grafix can be fixed bro... but a sucky game will always be a sucky game. If the worst thing about RV is that its not the prettiest game on the market, Ill be more than happy... you want eye candy and gameplay that will rock you to sleep... go play EQ2image

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656
    Or WoW...

...... if you can connect!

*rimshot*

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

these graphics are horrible...not much else to say. some people may think differently, but i cannot play a game with graphics that hurt my eyes. i really like realism. if you want to see some games with good graphics, try the F.E.A.R single player demo, i have never seen a game as detailed as it (its a first person shooter). also, you might want to take a look at Bethesda Softworks upcoming title Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and you will see why i think the graphics on Roma Victor make my eyes bleed.

• zeboathzeboath Member Posts: 396

Originally posted by jayheld90
    these graphics are horrible...not much else to say. some people may think differently, but i cannot play a game with graphics that hurt my eyes. i really like realism. if you want to see some games with good graphics, try the F.E.A.R single player demo, i have never seen a game as detailed as it (its a first person shooter). also, you might want to take a look at Bethesda Softworks upcoming title Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion and you will see why i think the graphics on Roma Victor make my eyes bleed.

The graphics are tame, the terrain is lagging variety and polygons... but that can be fixxed. Besides. If you're looking for Graphics rather than content. You shouldn't play MMORPG. F.E.A.R is beautiful and funny, but it's hardly innovative.

--------------------------------------------

• PrJdGmrPrJdGmr Member Posts: 71

some people may think differently, but i cannot play a game with graphics that hurt my eyes.

I wonder how many people line up behind that statement after playing games on the earlier game systems, or in arcades 10-15 years back.  Personally, I've been reexperiencing a nintendo 64 game I liked called 'Flying Dragon' though I don't think it was ever widely popular.  I play it for the gameplay, which is good, though not too many of the graphics it uses are very good.

After having playing that for another 5-10 hours, the graphics on Roma Victor will look like the latest thing to me  ;)  *goes back to playing n64*

Originally posted by PrJdGmr
    some people may think differently, but i cannot play a game with graphics that hurt my eyes.
    I wonder how many people line up behind that statement after playing games on the earlier game systems, or in arcades 10-15 years back. Personally, I've been reexperiencing a nintendo 64 game I liked called 'Flying Dragon' though I don't think it was ever widely popular. I play it for the gameplay, which is good, though not too many of the graphics it uses are very good.
    After having playing that for another 5-10 hours, the graphics on Roma Victor will look like the latest thing to me ;) *goes back to playing n64*

i can gaurantee im older than you (it says your 16 in your profile) and i have played games probably before you were born, but times change and so do games/graphics. i just happened to evolve with them, im not very nostalgic i never play older games anymore.

• PrJdGmrPrJdGmr Member Posts: 71

Ah, so thats why people say things like that.  Yes, I am a few years younger than you, and didn't play arcade games so much, but I played my share of games over the years.  Being that I was younger, though, I didn't often get the chance to buy new games, whereas you probably had that chance more often, and could spend afternoons at an arcade as well.  That would probably explain the difference between us.

Anyways, the usual response to the graphics is that they'll be developed last of all, because most of the time up 'til now has been spent building the engine and developing the features that they wanted to put in.  A difference or two between how Roma Victor is being made and how the fourth Elder Scroll game is being made is how the team behind Elder Scrolls IV probably has a larger team, or that RedBedlam says they made the Roma Victor engine "from scratch," since they couldn't find one that would support the features they put in.

And don't think that they're looking bad so close to the release date; the best estimate from the RB team was Fall '05, but several people find an '06 release more probable, so they'll probably have time to work on the graphics.

Originally posted by zeboath

The graphics are tame, the terrain is lagging variety and polygons... but that can be fixxed. Besides. If you're looking for Graphics rather than content. You shouldn't play MMORPG. F.E.A.R is beautiful and funny, but it's hardly innovative.

i realize that graphics are usually a bit lower in an mmo, but i think the graphics from eve online are great and that game has been out for years, also if you look at EQ2 or SWG the graphics are quite good. so why again would i play this when there are so many other games out there with better graphics (which is what i like). im not saying you cant play something with crappy, unartistic graphics if you want. just wondering why anyone would.

You can't compare EVE with ground-based games. EVE has the resources to be beautiful because they have no terrain, grass, bushes, trees, or buildings. Throw in the fact that everything is seperated by KM's of nothingness, and you have a pretty easy-to-make engine.

As to "im not saying you cant play something with crappy, unartistic graphics if you want. just wondering why anyone would." My reason is quite simple, I choose gameplay and community over fabulous, dull (IMO) games. You can take TES4's graphics and make it into a MMO such as EQ, and I would not play. I like games with excitement, daring, the chance to change the world, and not doing the same thing 15 million people have already done. I don't like art unless it has a deeper meaning.

Seriously, if you play to see good graphics, go play FEAR or wait for TES4.

Edit: Now, I'm not saying that graphics don't make a game better. EQ2 is impressive to look at, at least standing still (damn computer ::::26::), but the gameplay just doesn't appeal at all to me.

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

Graphics are not the most important part of a MMOG IMO, but they do matter.

Game companies always release the most recent screenshots available at the highest settings possible in order to promote their product and awe potential customers.

The screenshots currently available are obviously the best graphics possible atm. Only time will tell if the graphics improve, and no one, not even the rabid fanbois, know otherwise.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• ArremusArremus Member Posts: 656
    Yep, that's exactly it.
    Only time will tell if the graphics improve, and no one, not even the rabid fanbois, know otherwise.

They're using the SpeedTree (i think it's called) tech for the game, so go have a look at the SpeedTree site. They have chopper flyover promo videos, and the landscapes they use are very, very simplistic, with their trees plonked on top of it, and it looks sensational.
    And going off a simple promo video like that, there is no reason why RB can't make the environment at least look nice.

But maybe they have a team with really good vision for awesome gameplay, but the graphical prowess of Lunig. And thus the models and whatnot will just completely suck.
    Would I be let down? Certainly.
    Was I let down with how great EQ2 looks, and how much of a bore the game was after a couple of months? Certainly.

Gameplay > Graphics.

And as de Jorev says, only time will tell.

[Edit: "and no one, not even the rabid fanbois, know otherwise" - same thing could be said about the economic model image]

"(The) Iraqi people owe the American people a huge debt of gratitude." - George W Bush.
    Oh. My. God.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

<sarcasm> YEAH LETS BE HAPPY SOME PEOPLE DONT WANNA PLAY!! Woot Woot! The graphics will work as a filter. In this day an age with so much MMO competition we can afford to filter out players. If we have only 1 server and 500 people this game will be so leet yo </sarcasm>

Its a fact that graphics help immerse someone into the game. It also brings attention. If a game has subpar graphics and is being released during a time where graphics are predominant than thats not the best choice. Being happy that players dislike the graphics and wont even give it a chance though is just a digging a game with great potential into the ground. Thankfully I will be playing this regardless, and its in my opinion that the graphics will look better upon the time of release.

• KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Jorev
    The screenshots currently available are obviously the best graphics possible atm.

Not true of RV.  Maybe of other Companies.

Here are a couple of old posts from KFR that still ring true.

"Sounds like it's time for me to shed some more light on the pics.

They were taken in third person view, which currently has a slight fisheye lense effect - this effect doesn't apply in first person view. This can sometimes make screenshots look slightly odd - warped even, particularly towards the edges.

The ground effects aren't on yet and we're only using one tile per ground surface, which is why the ground all looks a bit samey. Also the sky is just a default - it'll look more sensible when we have weather and time of day actually doing their bit. The clouds aren't even moving at the moment.

The people all have the same clothes because we're using a generic auxiliary character for all the testers at the moment.

The multi-coloured circle just noticeable in some pics is a side-effect of the screen capture utility I was using.

In short, these aren't publicity shots - they're much more candid. If I really wanted to wow people, I'd load up a variety of characters, stand them in exactly the right location, turn on some local ground effects and take a screenshot in first-person view. It would probably end up looking something like this.

But I thought it would be better right now to just take some quick screenshots of what actually goes on inside the GOCaT programme."

Or this:

"Kanoth is absolutely right. When you're building a massive virtual world from scratch, appearance is the very last thing you worry about - at least it is if you're doing it right, IMHO. That having been said, and as everyone here hopefully knows, we do welcome all criticism. It's just that this is some criticism that we were rather expecting and, to be honest, not too bothered about.

The cute effects that make us look like a big-brand MMORPG are really very trivial compared to the other things we have to worry about and do. It's much harder to build scalable software infrastructure and solid game mechanics and consequently that's where our focus remains at this stage of development. And believe it or not if we got the easy stuff out of the way first, then it would make some of the hard stuff harder to build and test accurately.

We are not a marketing/hype-based MMORPG developer and at the moment we're a developer that's never launched a product or service. Consequently, you won't see Roma Victor trying to muscle in on column inches in the gaming press or trying to appear on every online gaming web site there is, simply by punting out an almost meaningless assembled screenshot.

Instead, on this site and our fansites, you will see screenshots released of actual development, real testers and their genuine experiences. Most developers are shy of releasing such things in case they meet exactly this reaction - so they rush graphical features out in order to spruce up the screenshots and please the marketing people, who are eager to start making noises.

We won't sacrifice our development plan or schedule in any way to satisfy such whims at this stage. If people are turned away by the look of screenshots from the GOCaT testing then, frankly, I'm really not too bothered at this stage. Anyone making such superficial judgements about something so clearly incomplete will not bring much to this community or Roma Victor itself. And I'm quite sure that these same people will be making very different noises next year when they get to see some screenshots that look much better than they're expecting (because of the limits of their own imaginations, after all).

This, I should imagine, will pretty much be my final word on the subject until around this time next year. In the meantime I'll keep releasing screenshots of the ongoing GOCaT programme whenever I can. We're much more interested in this community than "the marketplace".

-KFR

P.S. The graphics engine is our own - built from scratch within this year. It's really rather sophisticated, extremely capable and integrates perfectly with the other engines that we've had to build - network, sound etc.

P.P.S. When we get to implement all the latest graphics features I'm actually pretty confident that we'll look better than most big-brand MMORPG's out there. After all we'll have most, if not all, of the same graphical systems that the others have and, in my opinion, we already have much better art material than most."

If you took the time Jorev to research your concerns and find the answers, you may just have a different outlook on the game.  Head to our forums and use that search engine.  You may be pleasenly surprised.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

Thank you for the informative post! I havent seen that screenshot before.

Will the engine which is pretty capable it appears, run smoother than the eq2 engine? That one has some serious design flaws such as a memory leak. I found a program that counteracts it, but none the less its annoying to have to get a thirdparty tool to help it run efficiently.

Also, will it support widescreen? I play all my games on my notebook. I don't mind playing it with the black bars on the side, but it really is much more immersive when widescreen. On top of that, I think we are going to start seeing more widescreen monitors on the market. Especially with widescreen becoming the standard in 2006.

I hope there isnt any instanced zones. It pulls me away from the game.

I have many other questions, but Im going to head to the site to see if I can find the answers.

Originally posted by madazz
    I have many other questions, but Im going to head to the site to see if I can find the answers.

KFR said:
    We will actually have lots of servers but I suspect what you're asking is how many separate shards/worlds/universes/whateveryawannacallit there will be. There will be one. The best way to think of it is that RV is just like conventional MMORPG's with multiple 'shards' except ours aren't all the same. In other words, one shard could be considered one playfield or area such as northwest Gaul. By going from Gaul to Britannia, for example, you're effectively doing a character transfer from one 'shard' to another. Except of course the new shard is very different to the one you just transferred from and the transfer process doesn't involve losing anything from your character.

So basically, multiple servers but you wouldn't know it. To the player it may as well be one world.

-KFR

The only true instanced zone would be Elysium.
  • KanothKanoth RedBedlam Comm. Mgr.Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by madazz

Thank you for the informative post! I havent seen that screenshot before.
    Will the engine which is pretty capable it appears, run smoother than the eq2 engine? That one has some serious design flaws such as a memory leak. I found a program that counteracts it, but none the less its annoying to have to get a thirdparty tool to help it run efficiently.
    Also, will it support widescreen? I play all my games on my notebook. I don't mind playing it with the black bars on the side, but it really is much more immersive when widescreen. On top of that, I think we are going to start seeing more widescreen monitors on the market. Especially with widescreen becoming the standard in 2006.

I've not played EQ2, and I've not played the release version of RV (cuz its not finished) so I cant comment on if it will be a better engine or not.  I'm not even familar with EQ2s engine.  KFR built the engine for RV because the community wanted features that couldnt be supported by any other Engine, so he built one that could.

Currently in Testing, only one resolution is accessable (1024x768).  The release version of the game should support a wide range of resolutions.

"Rome wasn't coded in a day"
    - Kanoth

• Ferox(SM)Ferox(SM) Member Posts: 169

Originally posted by mechwarrior
    But...

is your love for graphics as good as your knowledge of history?

theres no such time , place, or concept... as "medieval rome" .....

I personally hope the kiddies who need eye candy and talk like gollum saying " shiney... my precious... pretty shiney" stay with eq2 and wow anyways. I like some intelligence to the people I play with, not someone who is attracted to shiney things.

Think you have what it takes to take the 'Oath of the legion' and become a true soldier of Rome?
    Service guarantees citizenship!

Awesome, sounds great! The kind of instanced zone that pulls me away could best be described by City of heroes. As much as I love that game I didnt enjoy each part of the city having a gigantic wall around it with a blue aura/force field. The way this game handles it sounds just about right. Im deffinitely looking forward to getting my hands on this game.

Thank you for the quick replies.