Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of starting from scratch...good time to jump in?

MonorojoMonorojo Member UncommonPosts: 411

I am thinking of resubbing but i sold my account ages ago.

So is it a good time to jump in with a new account and everything? Money is not a problem here. Should I just wait for the expansion instead? Are there any new servers coming?

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651

Sure it is worth but i would wait for mop to come out. It still the best fantasy mmo, after i tried so many mmo's i think not one is half  so good as wow

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Monorojo

So is it a good time to jump in with a new account and everything? Money is not a problem here. Should I just wait for the expansion instead? Are there any new servers coming?

I think you should re evaluate why you quit in the first place, to save you alot of money and heart ache.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I still think World of Warcraft is the best MMO on the market today. I think anytime is a good time to jump in.... if you like the game, I'd play now and just buy the x-pack when it comes out.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Aori

Originally posted by Mellkor

I think you should re evaluate why you quit in the first place, to save you alot of money and heart ache.

He obviously did.. i've quit WoW 10.. 15 maybe 20 times myself.. geez thats alot of accounts >.>

Yeah i did that abit, then i realized:

Leveling is so fast its like taking an elevator to cap.
    Then you proceed to grind tokens for shiny gear.

Didn't used to be like this, but this is the goal of the game now.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• iamflymoloiamflymolo Member Posts: 152

Personally, I think Rift is the best game on the market if you're into end game content - and it's a lot cheaper than buying WoW expansions (even though money is no option for you.)

That said, if I were jumping into WoW and planned on buying any and all expansions that I needed, I'd probably do so now so I could be level capped by the time MoP launched. You'll also almost certainly enjoy the new story lines as well since the entire leveling experienced was revamped with Cata. I know I was tempted to play through several starting zones because I was so impressed with what they did to the Undead story after the Cata launch, but I ended up deciding not to take the time.

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by Jakard

I still think World of Warcraft is the best MMO on the market today. I think anytime is a good time to jump in.... if you like the game, I'd play now and just buy the x-pack when it comes out.

agree...if you're reason to start playing again is to re live what attracted you to the game in the first place, then jump on in...WoW is fantastic game. its got alll those subscribers for a reason

• Son0fZeusSon0fZeus Member Posts: 49

Yeah i dont like the way things are going but honestly is there something better out there. 

And graphics are starting to bore me but still pretty good. 

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Originally posted by wrightstuf

agree...if you're reason to start playing again is to re live what attracted you to the game in the first place, then jump on in...WoW is fantastic game. its got alll those subscribers for a reason

Its funny how you follow one persons post history, and you see just who exactly they agree with.  This was almost anticlimatic.

OP.......WoW would love to have you back. I can even arrange a SoR/RAF for you.

LOL.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Well understand this :

You will speed level to 15 you have no choice. The open world then turns completely dead.  From their on out you will have to play using the Dungeon finder and speed through dungeons with groups as fast as they can run them.  You really don't have too but if you don't, you will be playing alone, getting sub par weapons armor and loot.

Dungeons such as Deadmines and Shadow Fang Keep and everything pass that now only take 10 to 15 minutes to do. What ever you do, don't slow up the group.  It's not about tactics anymore, but more about speed. 

You know all the cool abilities you get as a healer...Well forget them. Your job is to hit the one heal button to keep the tank alive as he moves quickly.

WoW is now a lobby game for using the LFG tool !.....It's made to shoot you to end game so you buy each and every expansion along the way...So have fun :)

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by delete5230

Well understand this :

You will speed level to 15 you have no choice. The open world then turns completely dead.  From their on out you will have to play using the Dungeon finder and speed through dungeons with groups as fast as they can run them.  You really don't have too but if you don't, you will be playing alone, getting sub par weapons armor and loot.

Dungeons such as Deadmines and Shadow Fang Keep and everything pass that now only take 10 to 15 minutes to do. What ever you do, don't slow up the group.  It's not about tactics anymore, but more about speed. 

You know all the cool abilities you get as a healer...Well forget them. Your job is to hit the one heal button to keep the tank alive as he moves quickly.

WoW is now a lobby game for using the LFG tool !.....It's made to shoot you to end game so you buy each and every expansion along the way...So have fun :)

Actually, as the weapons and armor you get in instances are not very much needed as you can always get better later on, this is quite false.

You basically have 3 paths to max level in WoW. 1) Questing, 2) instancing, 3) PvP. These are the major paths, then you also get xp for harvesting or archaeology for example.

You can take just one of the three or mix and match as you like. I find instancing quite boring for example, so I decided to do a questing path. it is very nice and there are some incredible stories out there I had totally forgot (or never saw as they were introduced in Cata).

Is the world dead? honestly this totally depend on your server. On my server, Argent Dawn EU, the biggest RP server this side of the Atlantic, the world is quite alive and I always see (and sometime have to compete) others going around in their quests.

It is true, however, that questing is a solo thing now. You can do it in a group, but there is quite not much of a point in it. All group missions have been scaled down to solo missions, so you will have to wait for MoP and scenarios for some casual group play to come back.

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480

It's not really worth it now.  They removed pretty much all challenge from the game, except the current end tier heroic 25 man boss of the time.  The next expansion looks like a bad joke and many of the community leaders and progression guilds have gone, it's looking pretty dead on a lot of realms now also.

TBH hold out for guild wars 2 if you want a fantasy MMO.  You won't even need to pay an expensive subscription for that either.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

You're going to get a lot of negativity from people, and a lot of naieve positivity from people.  Here are the "facts" of WoW these days.

1. The leveling experience 1-60 has been revamped, quests redone, the areas redone, etc.  It is a lot better.  A lot easier.  I think it is more "fun" to level now than it used to be.   Although I do miss the way some of the old zones look.

2. Posters are correct, the challange has been removed.  Blizzard publically says they want to appeal to a broader audience(just good business here), but the fact is that they neglect the people who hold the game up year after year.  The audience they try to appeal to, the casual playerbase, comes and goes in a year or two when life gets busy.  The raiding/pvp hardcore player base is there every year, for the most part.  They got the shaft starting with Wrath of the Lich King when they made raids easy and accessible by anyone.

3. Blizzard is so far behind in developing new and interesting features/systems is hilarious.  I/people have been clammoring for new things to do for ages.  I myself would like a survival mode, battle waves of mobs.  While new games life Rift, Tera have these sorts of things, Blizzard is JUST getting around to it for MoP which will be released in a few more months.

4. They can't make up their minds with talents.  Your class changes every year or two, sometimes during an expansion too.  Each expansion they rework the talent trees.  Right now its a 31point talent tree system or something.  In MoP it will be I think 6 or 8 talents you choose, every 15 levels or something(correct me of I am wrong beta testers).  So, I am assuming that at max level for MoP you get a talent, level 90.  So when the NEXT expansion comes out, are we not going to get rewarded at 95 with a talent?  Will we have to wait another 15 levels?  Or are they going to rework it. 

5. Graphics...They have made changes for the better, but if you polish a turd its still a turd.  Rift has better graphics, even though I dislike the art style and prefer WoW's palette, Tera utterly craps on WoW.  Guild Wars 2 will do the same.  Games have been coming out for years with much better graphic engines.  WoW's is old, and optimized for low end machines...7 years ago.  I think a lot of people have better machines and can handle a slightly better engine. 

6."The Game"....all it is is rush to max level to cap out: Crafting, Reputation, Gear(raiding), Gear(PVP).  Currently you'll sit in stormwind/Orgrimmar queuing for dungeons.  Thats it.  Blizzard admitted this is a design flaw(although how can you make such a complex MMO and overlook this???).  Theres absolutely no reason or purpose to venture into the world or the level 80-85 zones. 

7. Cataclysm = Epic failure.  When you base an entire expansion around changing the old world and leveling experience, and then blatantly neglect that content when the characters are max level, the game has failed.  Id say a good 80% of the expansion is about revamping 1-60 zones.  At max level, who gives a flying crap what Barrens looks like now?  Theres no reason to see it.  Youre missing out on ALOT of the expansion.  Not to mention, they cut out a very popular raid, Abyssal Maw for no apparent reason.

8 Raids are too easy.  Guilds clearing in a matter of days, farming for months.  Blizzard putting in auto-raid buffs(which can be toggled off) way to soon and easily. 

9. We had Troll/zandalari dungeons for something like 8 months before they put in new ones.  If you wanted the most "valor" points(to purchase good gear), you had to queue for these.  And there were only two.  Imagine how mind numbingly boring it was. 

10. Mist of Pandaria.   Argueably the most "on the fence" expansion to date.  More people are conflicted about MoP than any other expansion.  Normally most of the playerbase is blown away.  Id say its split.  Most people dont like the addition to pandas and think its laughable.  Some think its a great spin to lore.  I personally think it sucks, and its why I quit.

While those are opinions, you can draw them as fact too.  Theres not much you can argue against it.  Just get to max level and see what the game is like.  One dimensional, and dull.  There are many better choices out there for you.

If you like a dynamic world(random things happening), a lot of end game features(I mean ALOT...the most out of any MMO), Rift is your game.

If you like a beautiful landscape/world, "revolutionizing combat"(even though it isnt the first to try), true aciton combat, and "solable" elite monsters throughout your leveling experience, Tera is your game.

If you want a dynamic world, gorgeous game and art style, casual leveling, and an EXPLORERS paradise, try Guild Wars 2(and no subscription).

My 2 cents

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by cesmode8

You're going to get a lot of negativity from people, and a lot of naieve positivity from people.  Here are the "facts" of WoW these days.

1. The leveling experience 1-60 has been revamped, quests redone, the areas redone, etc.  It is a lot better.  A lot easier.  I think it is more "fun" to level now than it used to be.   Although I do miss the way some of the old zones look.

2. Posters are correct, the challange has been removed.  Blizzard publically says they want to appeal to a broader audience(just good business here), but the fact is that they neglect the people who hold the game up year after year.  The audience they try to appeal to, the casual playerbase, comes and goes in a year or two when life gets busy.  The raiding/pvp hardcore player base is there every year, for the most part.  They got the shaft starting with Wrath of the Lich King when they made raids easy and accessible by anyone.

3. Blizzard is so far behind in developing new and interesting features/systems is hilarious.  I/people have been clammoring for new things to do for ages.  I myself would like a survival mode, battle waves of mobs.  While new games life Rift, Tera have these sorts of things, Blizzard is JUST getting around to it for MoP which will be released in a few more months.

4. They can't make up their minds with talents.  Your class changes every year or two, sometimes during an expansion too.  Each expansion they rework the talent trees.  Right now its a 31point talent tree system or something.  In MoP it will be I think 6 or 8 talents you choose, every 15 levels or something(correct me of I am wrong beta testers).  So, I am assuming that at max level for MoP you get a talent, level 90.  So when the NEXT expansion comes out, are we not going to get rewarded at 95 with a talent?  Will we have to wait another 15 levels?  Or are they going to rework it. 

5. Graphics...They have made changes for the better, but if you polish a turd its still a turd.  Rift has better graphics, even though I dislike the art style and prefer WoW's palette, Tera utterly craps on WoW.  Guild Wars 2 will do the same.  Games have been coming out for years with much better graphic engines.  WoW's is old, and optimized for low end machines...7 years ago.  I think a lot of people have better machines and can handle a slightly better engine. 

6."The Game"....all it is is rush to max level to cap out: Crafting, Reputation, Gear(raiding), Gear(PVP).  Currently you'll sit in stormwind/Orgrimmar queuing for dungeons.  Thats it.  Blizzard admitted this is a design flaw(although how can you make such a complex MMO and overlook this???).  Theres absolutely no reason or purpose to venture into the world or the level 80-85 zones. 

7. Cataclysm = Epic failure.  When you base an entire expansion around changing the old world and leveling experience, and then blatantly neglect that content when the characters are max level, the game has failed.  Id say a good 80% of the expansion is about revamping 1-60 zones.  At max level, who gives a flying crap what Barrens looks like now?  Theres no reason to see it.  Youre missing out on ALOT of the expansion.  Not to mention, they cut out a very popular raid, Abyssal Maw for no apparent reason.

8 Raids are too easy.  Guilds clearing in a matter of days, farming for months.  Blizzard putting in auto-raid buffs(which can be toggled off) way to soon and easily. 

9. We had Troll/zandalari dungeons for something like 8 months before they put in new ones.  If you wanted the most "valor" points(to purchase good gear), you had to queue for these.  And there were only two.  Imagine how mind numbingly boring it was. 

10. Mist of Pandaria.   Argueably the most "on the fence" expansion to date.  More people are conflicted about MoP than any other expansion.  Normally most of the playerbase is blown away.  Id say its split.  Most people dont like the addition to pandas and think its laughable.  Some think its a great spin to lore.  I personally think it sucks, and its why I quit.

While those are opinions, you can draw them as fact too.  Theres not much you can argue against it.  Just get to max level and see what the game is like.  One dimensional, and dull.  There are many better choices out there for you.

If you like a dynamic world(random things happening), a lot of end game features(I mean ALOT...the most out of any MMO), Rift is your game.

If you like a beautiful landscape/world, "revolutionizing combat"(even though it isnt the first to try), true aciton combat, and "solable" elite monsters throughout your leveling experience, Tera is your game.

If you want a dynamic world, gorgeous game and art style, casual leveling, and an EXPLORERS paradise, try Guild Wars 2(and no subscription).

My 2 cents

I would listen to this man as its very  true ......in my opinion anyway. On another note love how the graphics are put (point 5).

• Winterheart8Winterheart8 Member Posts: 1

I've played wow since 2007. A lot of my interest were held up by people I met in game and guilds. I was already feeling tired of game during Wotlk and I took month or two breaks here and there. With cata hitting, my interest was renewed with new guild but I decided to call quits simply because the game doesn't interest anymore.

It's always fun to read goodbye messages on wow forums, people thrash this game to pieces without realizing even good things get boring when you repeat them long enough. Wow will forever hold place near and dear to my heart. Best thing Cata did was completely revamped 1-60 leveling and never had I leveled up so many alts than during this expansion.

I think leveling up is the best part of this game. For end game, it might boil down what kind of guild you manage to find. Killing same bosses week after week is much easier when you've got equal-minded people to have a laugh with.

Biggest kick in the knee for me about pandaria is twiddling with talent trees. I didn't like when they stricted you having to spend 58(?) points in one tree until you can move on to another, but the new model for pandaria is even worser.

I play rpg's for dungeon runs and improving character and talent points are vital part of that. Even if I won't be around to see pandaria, I hope they would drop that idea and stick with the current model.

• VolkmarVolkmar Member UncommonPosts: 2,501

Originally posted by Winterheart8

I've played wow since 2007. A lot of my interest were held up by people I met in game and guilds. I was already feeling tired of game during Wotlk and I took month or two breaks here and there. With cata hitting, my interest was renewed with new guild but I decided to call quits simply because the game doesn't interest anymore.

It's always fun to read goodbye messages on wow forums, people thrash this game to pieces without realizing even good things get boring when you repeat them long enough. Wow will forever hold place near and dear to my heart. Best thing Cata did was completely revamped 1-60 leveling and never had I leveled up so many alts than during this expansion.

I think leveling up is the best part of this game. For end game, it might boil down what kind of guild you manage to find. Killing same bosses week after week is much easier when you've got equal-minded people to have a laugh with.

Biggest kick in the knee for me about pandaria is twiddling with talent trees. I didn't like when they stricted you having to spend 58(?) points in one tree until you can move on to another, but the new model for pandaria is even worser.

I play rpg's for dungeon runs and improving character and talent points are vital part of that. Even if I won't be around to see pandaria, I hope they would drop that idea and stick with the current model.

First you bash the Cata model because it locks you in a tree until you spend 31 points in it and then you comment Pandarias's even worse even if that one does not lock you AT ALL and all talents are useful to all specs?

Sorry, I do not see the logical connection between these two statements considering Pandaria's system is a complete 180 from Cata and more a return to Vanilla's freedom.

Yes, there are much less talents, is that the issue? if it is, then say so :D

Oh btw, also Prime Glyphs are gone, I wonder why I do not see more people crying about them too.

After trying it for myself, I found out the new system works pretty well and it leave you with about the same number of abilities you have now (at 85) only many have changed either in how they work or got substituted with others.

Minor glyphs are awesome now :D

"If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day, if you teach him how to fish, you feed him for a lifetime"

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by Aori

He obviously did.. i've quit WoW 10.. 15 maybe 20 times myself.. geez thats alot of accounts >.>

Yeah i did that abit, then i realized:

Leveling is so fast its like taking an elevator to cap.

Then you proceed to grind tokens for shiny gear.

Didn't used to be like this, but this is the goal of the game now.

this is the goal of every mmo , hows else you keep players subbedif there is no repeat factor. i know new things needs to be invented and im sure there is plenty ideas what to do instead but somehows its not so easy way since none have done it yet, upcoming mmos like gw2 maybe one to change it due the real vs realm endgame based system but its remains to be seen. the key thing in this GRIND is " do you like it? " its the one thing that matters, the grind is everywhere you only chose wich one you like the most ;)

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381

I did that recently for hmmm 4 days? The problem I had was not with the game but with the complete lack of ANYONE around through all the starting zones. Had the feeling everyone's holed up in the capitals... ended up playing solo rpgs instead...