Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A big supporter of SWTOR says goodbye

Comments

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by Sanguinelust

Because I have found that over the years people who proclaim their farewells on forums are a dime a dozen...

Can I has your stuff???

Depends on the game, if someone said farewell on UO , WOW or maybe EQ or DAOC then those were/are very popular games with huge fanbases and even in their decline have a steady sub base.

On the other hand games like WAR, or AOC, LOTR, Dark And Light and now SWTOR when people say goodbye its not because of a hunter shot rotation nerf, its because the game is terrible. You are making the mistalke of grouping TOR with successful games.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by colddog04

Well, we've done a lot of raiding in our day. And we were literally shocked at how easy it was.

But you can try and make SWTOR seem hard. It probably is for some people. Especially random groups with no vent.

They weren't debating that you found the combat easy.  It's your claim of one shotting instances that is so totally ridiculous that it overshadows and even begs to question your belief that combat is easy.  It's called Hyperbole, which never does a person's argument any credit.

I have an incredibly hard time believing that even groups that are raid equipped would have done every instance and raid without a single setback of any kind let alone those that are less well equipped, it's so beyond the realm of possiblity as to paint the poster a braggart.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by eddieg50

Originally posted by ajax7

Goodbye we don't need you and one swing of a lightsaber does not take a mob to 90%.

Maybe a crit hit on a special skill will but a normal lightsaber hit will not.

More lies as always.

You have not recently played a Jedi consular than, one hit of my light saber took off 75% of the mobs health, I am not talking about a boss but a regular mob.  25% to me would have been acceptable but 75% is outrageous,  I think if I continued to play or came back I would send my companion off all the time for loot, at least that way it would be somewhat fair.       I can even take on heroic2 by myself with ease WTF.     If you bothered to read my post carefully or read some of my other posts you would know I am one of the biggest supporters of the game, I love the quests, vo, cs, productions but I will not condone a mmo going to super easy mode.

with the exception of PvP . If swtor had great open world PvP than that would be fine for me but they dont

errr yes on tython @ lvl 1-5 maybe. Stop sexing up the dossier. The fact you're talking about 'consular' demonstrates you are judging this class by sub lvl 11 content ~ tutorial mode, and you know it.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Trying to think of any recent mmo that wasn't like this. You would have to be sleeping at the keyboard to die to PvE in nearly any mainstream mmo released in the last 5 years, this is not going to change anytime soon.

I want everything right now, if I can't get it in game I want to buy it and I don't ever want to die, I want to be all powerful to everything. This is the mantra, if it keeps people playing they would have to be stupid to change it. Games change with the gamers playing them, the current new gamers come from cheats as standard and instant gratification, anything outside of this is grind and 'not fun'.

You could die in Rift for sure early on.  In Aion you could die a little less easily, but it could still happen.  In Warhammer you definitely could die before 30 (in PVE, and of course in PVP).  In FFXIV you could die (yes I played it).  Pretty sure you could die in AOC too pretty easily if you weren't paying attention.

The OP is right, there is no challange.  Part of the reason is you always are playing a pet class.  The game would be appropriate challange-wise if you didn't have a companion with you always.

I believe you are wrong that players do not want a challange.  Only time will tell but I think most everybody enjoys the feeling of beating a hard enemy.

Of course, this is coming from someone that actually LIKED the death penalty in FFXI where you lose xp and you could actually level down.  It gave a sense of danger to every fight because losing xp sucked big time.  

Most people don't like harsh death penalties and they're probably a thing of the past, but I do think people enjoy some sense of danger or risk of loss of some kind in fights.

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

Originally posted by tixylix

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I'm sorry, but exactly how many MMOs out there are difficult sub level 25?  Even the most hardcore games out there tend to take it pretty easy on you the first couple dozen of levels.  Even Vanguard does this.  Once you get a toon into his 30's, the difficulty of combat gets harder exponentially.

Difference is I died in Vanguard lots of times in early levels and never died in SWTOR until I came across this main NPC at level 30 which was part of my class story mission.

i no longer playt swtor i quit before free month was over due everything what was wrong in my point of view.

and i have to say to this reply, vanguard been one of the hardest mmo ive tried ever.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Skuz

Originally posted by Skuz

Well, we've done a lot of raiding in our day. And we were literally shocked at how easy it was.

But you can try and make SWTOR seem hard. It probably is for some people. Especially random groups with no vent.

Finding stuff easy is one thing, I find most stuff in WoW & SWTOR easy, but over-exaggerating to the point of making yourself look ridiculous in the process just to highlight how easy you thought it was is quite another is it not?

I think it's more ridiculous to tell someone they are lying and trolling when they are actually telling the truth.

And to imply that I am trying to inflate my ego seems more like trolling to me.

I haven't previously accused you of either lying OR trolling at all but your adding that accusation does diminish your credibility when it is unfounded, read what I said again I have accused you of over-exaggerating that's really not the same thing if you understand plain English at all.

Please do point out where I implied that you were trying to over-inflate your ego, rather than just make baseless assumptions & imagined attacks upon yourself that existed only inside the confused innards of your skull.

You appear to like inflaming the situation it seems, spewing out accusations from an over-defensive standpoint & protesting far too much, rather than simply respond to the point I made, you go on the attack when it's unnecessarry & unwarranted, these are the trademarks of someone seeking to deflect attention away from their original point because they truly don't have conviction in it, but they feel that it is better to go on the offensive rather than admit anything they said was inaccurate, an immature & indolent strategy.

Troll, no you probably aren't but you are insincere & bombastic, & your posts come off as pompous & arrogant, good day to you.

Wow, I said that we pretty much 1-shotted every boss pre-50. Which is the truth.

I think you should re-read your own post and then take what you said about me and apply it to yourself. The irony is sickening.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by RadixMalorum

You know, when one of the posters said they 'one shotted' the instance, he means they went through successfully in one try, not that they killed every mob in the instance with 1 shot, right?

I get the impression from the flames back that we are suffering from a failure to communicate.

I had the same experience, steam rollering through flashpoints and heroic quests without incident. I'm sure there are some that require planning, but not the ones I encountered.

Pretty sure that is exactly where a lot of the disagreement is coming from. Although using "one shot" in this reference really is a bad descriptor for the very reason it is open to misinterpretation. In fact, don't think I've ever heard someone reference it in this way. Guess now I know why.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by RadixMalorum

You know, when one of the posters said they 'one shotted' the instance, he means they went through successfully in one try, not that they killed every mob in the instance with 1 shot, right?

I get the impression from the flames back that we are suffering from a failure to communicate.

I had the same experience, steam rollering through flashpoints and heroic quests without incident. I'm sure there are some that require planning, but not the ones I encountered.

Pretty sure that is exactly where a lot of the disagreement is coming from. Although using "one shot" in this reference really is a bad descriptor for the very reason it is open to misinterpretation. In fact, don't think I've ever heard someone reference it in this way. Guess now I know why.

People talk about 1-shotting bosses in raids all the timein my experience. It means you do them on your first attempt without any wipes.

People talk about 1-shotting bosses in raids all the timein my experience. It means you do them on your first attempt without any wipes.

I'm sure you have but it is pretty clear that is where a lot of the disagreement is coming from because people are assuming you guys are referring to literally one shotting mobs/bosses. Which is why some are going gonzo in their replies.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Originally posted by OldManFunk

I think they changed their mind and gave everyone free time.

They gave me the week since I already unsubbed, I reinstalled , logged in for less than 30 minutes and quit again.

Oh yeah, that 30 minutes was spent playing around with the new UI and waiting for the Battleground queue to pop, which it never did.

The really bad part is I never wanted to see this fail, it's almost akin to having a child/pet with terminal health problems,it breaks your heart.

Edit: Spelling, I think I got it all now...

I'm sure you have but it is pretty clear that is where a lot of the disagreement is coming from because people are assuming you guys are referring to literally one shotting mobs/bosses. Which is why some are going gonzo in their replies.

I do understand what you're saying. I just... how can it be possible that someone would think that I intended to say that I went up to bosses, swung once and killed them? I mean.. it's just so ridiculous that I didn't even see that as an option for interpretation.

But whatever. I hope people understand now.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

How the hell are you a big supporter of TOR and quit the moment ME3 came out? Relabel the thread "big supporter of Bioware quits TOR". This is by far the dumbest stuff ever.

What do you people expect? You quit and everyone else will just wait for you? This is like dumb ass guilds leads in Rift expecting everyone to hang around while we prayed they came back from swinging light sabers in TOR. Your server died because you left plain and simple.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

It's hard for some it seems to understand that for some the game is very easy, and those who dont find it easy getting pissed beacuse they suck at it?

Well this is what i've gather from this thread.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

I do understand what you're saying. I just... how can it be possible that someone would think that I intended to say that I went up to bosses, swung once and killed them? I mean.. it's just so ridiculous that I didn't even see that as an option for interpretation.

You got me. Although I do still think it is a bad descriptor. Just seems an odd choice to me. Doesn't mean I would think someone meant they literally one shotted a raid boss XD

Anyways, on a personal note while the majority of the 4 mans/fps are very easy there are a couple that I doubt most completed on their first try. The Foundry and Colocoid Wars are two fps that I simply do not believe most are being honest if they say they went through completely without a wipe. I don't buy it. Unless of course they read up on it ahead of time or had a member in their group that already ran it so filled them in on things.

There is a 4 man that I wish I could remember the name of because it had one of the hardest bosses I encountered in the fucking game. Granted with a heavy armor tank he wasn't bad but if your tank relied on evasion...he could two shot the bastard with his damage spikes. God I wish I remembered the name of it. Completely caught us off guard because well...outside heroics you just don't see that in this game.

You got me. Although I do still think it is a bad descriptor. Just seems an odd choice to me. Doesn't mean I would think someone meant they literally one shotted a raid boss XD

Anyways, on a personal note while the majority of the 4 mans/fps are very easy there are a couple that I doubt most completed on their first try. The Foundry and Colocoid Wars are two fps that I simply do not believe most are being honest if they say they went through completely without a wipe. I don't buy it. Unless of course they read up on it ahead of time or had a member in their group that already ran it so filled them in on things.

There is a 4 man that I wish I could remember the name of because it had one of the hardest bosses I encountered in the fucking game. Granted with a heavy armor tank he wasn't bad but if your tank relied on evasion...he could two shot the bastard with his damage spikes. God I wish I remembered the name of it. Completely caught us off guard because well...outside heroics you just don't see that in this game.

Which I did alread say we did in an earlier post.

We had a guy named Granpa in the group that would basically go: "Ok, this guy does this, this and this. Go!" He would sort of passively play on trash pulls while he looked up what was coming up next. And with the 3 one minute long CCs available to us, trash pulls were an insane joke that basically just wasted time. Fortunately, there wasn't a ton of it.

I know that'll take away from how great and awesome we were, but  we were still shocked at how easy it was. This is pre-50, mind you. 

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I made a Sith inquistor on a different server just to see if what the OP was saying was true, that mobs lose 75% of their hp's in one lightsabre swing. Ok, since it was a new server to me, I of course could not send any items from an older character to her, so she was really out-of-the-box.

My normal vibroblade swings did not take off 75% health on any of the mobs I fought. Some of my powers could one-shot the weaker mobs, but the normal mobs or strong mobs definitely required more. So unless the Sith inquisitor is really underpowered at low levels compared to a Jedi counsellor, which I doubt highly, or the original poster boosted the heck out of his low levels with better items than what is available to someone starting out, then I call foul.

The early game is calibrated to people who are brand-new and to people with characters with no equipment, so the difficulty actually seemed just right.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Originally posted by m0lly

i no longer playt swtor i quit before free month was over due everything what was wrong in my point of view.

and i have to say to this reply, vanguard been one of the hardest mmo ive tried ever.

I don't get why people say VG is such a difficult MMO. I never felt that. I did die a few times in it at low level, but usually because it took time to load in some areas and I aggro'ed "invisible" mobs. Other than that, I thought VG was about average. It is somewhere in the middle of trying to solo EQ mobs with a non-solo class and WoW in its WotLK days when I thought soloing was by far the easiest.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by MurlockDance

I made a Sith inquistor on a different server just to see if what the OP was saying was true, that mobs lose 75% of their hp's in one lightsabre swing. Ok, since it was a new server to me, I of course could not send any items from an older character to her, so she was really out-of-the-box.

My normal vibroblade swings did not take off 75% health on any of the mobs I fought. Some of my powers could one-shot the weaker mobs, but the normal mobs or strong mobs definitely required more. So unless the Sith inquisitor is really underpowered at low levels compared to a Jedi counsellor, which I doubt highly, or the original poster boosted the heck out of his low levels with better items than what is available to someone starting out, then I call foul.

The early game is calibrated to people who are brand-new and to people with characters with no equipment, so the difficulty actually seemed just right.

That's how I felt as well. The first real test for the Inquisitor comes around level 14 when you have to take out that cyborg sith. It was easier to kill with my healer since I could just keep healing ken val, but with my assasin it was a real challenge and I wiped a couple times before getting him. But I couldn't whip that guy with either character  with the ease that some of the posters here are making up.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• goldiewilsongoldiewilson Member Posts: 90

Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by MurlockDance

That's how I felt as well. The first real test for the Inquisitor comes around level 14 when you have to take out that cyborg sith. It was easier to kill with my healer since I could just keep healing ken val, but with my assasin it was a real challenge and I wiped a couple times before getting him. But I couldn't whip that guy with either character  with the ease that some of the posters here are making up.

I doubt there is a conspiracy about something so specific, however there is a discrepency in skill from one player to another.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

Originally posted by Hurvart

I'm sorry, but exactly how many MMOs out there are difficult sub level 25?  Even the most hardcore games out there tend to take it pretty easy on you the first couple dozen of levels.  Even Vanguard does this.  Once you get a toon into his 30's, the difficulty of combat gets harder exponentially.

Because Vanguard is not the game it was intended and planned to be when it was in early beta. In some of the first MMO:s you could die over and over at level 1. You started more or less naked with a basic rusty sword. And there was a steep learning curve with no hand holding at all. In a game like that new players often died more often lv1-20 compared to lv20-40. Because there was a lot to learn and they had terrible gear and no gold.

QFT, Some people have sadly never played games that require any effort or really drag you in. Pretty much everything in the last 5 years has been garbage.

I will revisit Vanguard could be fun.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by Fennris

By 30 you will not be killing anything at level with 2 swings. The higher level pve and fps are among the hardest in the industry (but not for all classes - some solo better than others)..

I'd like to see the vids of these so called "2 swipe and win" claims. I've been playing the game since launch and the only NPCs ive whipped with a couple of swipes was npcs labeled WEAK. And I'm someone that always keeps his character and companions geared up to level. It gets even harder at the higher levels and I even recently had to call in for help from a guildie to defeat an elite on Voss that hits for like 4k every time he zaps you with lightning.  So I'm calling B.S on that easy mode claim.

I dont have a character at lvl 30 so I will have to take your word for it.  What I am complaining about is that at launch  Lvl 1-20 had some tough mobs and you could be killed especially by bosses.  Recently at least the last 4 weeks or so it has become much easier, even bosses fall wilthout much trouble-when i first started I had to inject my character with a stimulant to defeat a boss and make sure I was carefull, now i dont need a stim and can just button mash and can easily defeat a boss.

IF you want to see for yourself just build a new character I recommend a Jedi Consular since i have been useing as a example and just use the same light saber swing and use nothing else and you will blow through those mobs like butter. Try it , it will take maybe an hour of your time but you will be shocked at the ease, shame a damn shame

Originally posted by Tayah

Vanguard is still pretty tough in the early levels and although i have not played AOC in awhile I remember that had somewhat difficult battles, Ryzom can be tough, Fallen earth can be tough if you stray into the wrong area,   I love the fact that Vanguard did not go to the super easy mode and I hope that when it goes F2P it will not fall victim to the "popular" thing to do.   Tera has a mixture of the tough and easy.    So shame on you eq2, wow, Lotro, and swtor for catering to the Lazy by going on super easy mode

Ugh yes, Ryzom was tough, mobs would chase you until they died, you couldn't outrun them. I remember dying a whole day, was about 6 or 7 hours trying to make it through a zone of mobs to be able to get from I think the fyros to the matis area(the color coding on mobs was so frustrating, you didn't know what was agressiver or passive). Finally, had some guildies come over and help us through it, still took another 2 hours, lol.

Harvesting was scary, you would be there doing your harvesting thing and all of a sudden 5 mobs would attack you, you really had to be on your toes playing Ryzom

So, out of the hundreds of MMOs out there, AAA and F2P, you have what 3 to 8 that would be deemed hardcore, kick you in the face when you're down games?  Not only are they small in number, but they seem rather small in player base as well.  Shouldn't that be telling you something about your beloved play style and why it gets so little love from developers across the board?

All as I have to do is Look at WOW to tell me what players want an easy mode game with bland questing, super easy combat and an super fast elevator up to max lvl, I am happy at least that SWTOR at least has very good questing

Originally posted by ignore_me

Originally posted by Fennris

By 30 you will not be killing anything at level with 2 swings. The higher level pve and fps are among the hardest in the industry (but not for all classes - some solo better than others)..

I'd like to see the vids of these so called "2 swipe and win" claims. I've been playing the game since launch and the only NPCs ive whipped with a couple of swipes was npcs labeled WEAK. And I'm someone that always keeps his character and companions geared up to level. It gets even harder at the higher levels and I even recently had to call in for help from a guildie to defeat an elite on Voss that hits for like 4k every time he zaps you with lightning.  So I'm calling B.S on that easy mode claim.

Yeah I'm going to have to go with ktanner on this one. Maybe on the starter worlds (Tython, Nal Hutta) but after that if you are close to level of the mobs you can get in deep pretty fast. Exception may be soloing with Merc/Commando as they can heal/dps and use companion solo through 2+ Heroics fairly stress free.

What you are saying is fair enough but why should we have to wait til Level 30 to have the hard mobs?   Level 1-20 have become a super easy joke and it was not that way when it was launched

Originally posted by Anubisan

I am also a long-time supporter of this game. I still enjoy it a lot, but I just recently started a new alt and I have to say that Bioware definitely did change some things in the early game. It IS much easier to kill things now at low level. I did not notice a difference on my high level characters, but the difference in early game was very noticeable to me. I was able to absolutely breeze through areas that I remembered giving me difficulties during beta and early after release...

Honestly though, I don't see this as a problem. Bioware has just made it easier to speed through the early part of the game. After doing each of the starter worlds several times already, I actually appreciate being able to speed through that content and get to the more interesting parts of the game.

Ahhh Haaaa,  i knew I was not crazy!   You make a very good point about speeding through with your alts and that is fine for you but for me it is boreing , at least make the bosses tough

Originally posted by Darth-Ninja

SWTOR is easy-mode but VG's poor game design and lack of things like alchemy and herbalism is what makes it hard and have you played or watched anyone play VG recently? Youll remember why you stopped playing if you do.

I  have played Vanguard many times and enjoyed myself .  However the world is so open and there are so few people playing that it has an empty feel and THAT  is why people stop playing. Vanguards combat, crafting , and diplomacy are top notch and I hope that once sony goes F2P it will attract the audience it deserves