Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A pleasant surprise after returning to Hyboria [AOC]

emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Like many folks i am waiting for one of the new mmos incoming. During my wait i decided to return to an old haunt AOC. Like many folks i was really annoyed at the AOC launch for many reasons and left shortly after the debacle. I believe i returned 1 or 2 times within its first year with little improvement noted.

However, things have changed the game has come a long way. The ris of the god slayer expansion puts some real meat on the bones of AOC and does a great job in providing atmosphere and immersion for the player. The Robert E Howard lore shines through and an adult gritty theme is really achieved.

Performance is also hugely improved and the game is a joy to behold retaining wonderful visuals and animations. The game has great attention t detail in the open world and feels alive.

Combat, this surprised me i forgot how good it is, having been testing TERA for months i was sold on this feature, however i honestly believe AOC combat is far superior and has greater depth, hard to master but very rewarding, fatalitys rock!

Overall i am enjoying myself so much i have subbed for 3 months, the game has real depth and challenge and is a real joy to play. Initially i loaded up and tinkered around a few days using the ftp model, sorting out all the gfx options tweaking everything until i was totally happy. I recommend anybody returning does this to ensure your happy.

I cant rate this game highly enough now, funcom have really turned the game around, monthly development updates keep the communication between devs and fanbase alive and with so much to do ingame it for me at least is great fun returning to Hyboria!!

Comments

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Sorry, but this reeks of propoganda to me. Sorry, but I've been burned twice by AoC. I will not be burned again.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

Yeah, reads like a commercial. :- /

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Funny, I tried AoC a few months ago on a free weekend before it went f2p, and it was just as terrible as it was when I quit three months after release.

Played maybe ten minutes and promptly uninstalled.
  • ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

Well it is quite funny. He came back a few times the first year, no mention of later returns. So suppose he tried it F2P, but that only grants you access to the same old. Must we believe that was enough for him to purchase Rise of the Godslayer? Though to access that you need to sub again or buy a shortterm pass.

Yeah this post doesn't reek at all.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Sorry, but this reeks of propoganda to me. Sorry, but I've been burned twice by AoC. I will not be burned again.

It appears that it is free to try. I wouldn't freaky consider it being "burned" again if you didn't have to pay. Also, the propoganda thing would make more sense if this guy was a new account... but its from 07...lol
  • BjelarBjelar Member UncommonPosts: 398

Originally posted by AZHokie54

Funny, I tried AoC a few months ago on a free weekend before it went f2p, and it was just as terrible as it was when I quit three months after release. Played maybe ten minutes and promptly uninstalled.

May I suggest that all returning players invest more than ten minutes ingame before making their minds up. If you think AoC has not improved since 3 months after launch, you're simply wrong. 

Oh well, I guess I'm wasting my time writing on forums... Off to Kithai to balance my new POM spec -It's your loss Mr ten -minutes-guy, not mine :)

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I find it sad when folks post something negative about a person who comments on a game they are enjoying, folks feel compelled to post derogatory comments. Says an awful lot about the individual.

AOC has improved immensely, it is a lot of fun. I as stated thoroughly recommend it, a lot of the newer content requires a sub, but the option to sample AOC on a ftp model is highly commendable.
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Trying to get access to my account to take a look during the MMO lull what a odd system they have though,  lock you out if you havent logged in a while then make you send them photo ID if you no longer have access to the email attached to that account.

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Originally posted by thamighty213

Trying to get access to my account to take a look during the MMO lull what a odd system they have though,  lock you out if you havent logged in a while then make you send them photo ID if you no longer have access to the email attached to that account.

Your right very odd, I had to do the same, my account had to get reactivated, I found their response in my spam folder!
  • s1fu71s1fu71 Member Posts: 220

I returned shortly after this went F2P for a couple of months.

If I remember correctly, the classes I wanted to play weren't part of the free model.

I can't really remember, but I think I wanted to play a Herald of Xotli.

I do remember that I enjoyed the combat. Fatalities really were neat.

However, after the beginner area, I also remember not having as much fun.

There were a lot of cutscenes and voice acting that was pretty cool.

After the starting area, I think that all stopped. I don't know if any of that changed.

I will admit that I really enjoyed the graphics and combat, but it seemed like a sort of let down after the tutorial.

It's not about fighting, it's about balance. It's not about enlightenment, it's about balance. It's not about balance.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

not gonna lie. AoC is a very fun and beautiful pve game. one of the best f2p low fantasy game right now.

however, i also went back for the f2p but since i already had 3 level 80s and pretty much done all the content of the original as well as ROTGS the f2p doesnt really offer anything. most of the raids are only aveilable for the subscribers, you can only have a max of 2 gold (so you can't buy almost anything of the end level stuff), you can't take part in sieges, and can't buy any pvp gear past pvp level 3.

so besically the game is great if you have never played and want to experience the levelling but once you get to end level, if you want to have something to do, you pretty much have sub. lame.

needless to say i didn't hang arround long.