Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aion: Wayback Wednesday - A Short Walk Down Memory Lane

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's Wayback Wednesday, MMORPG.com's Grakulen takes a very short walk down memory lane and revisits Aion. Of keen interest to fans of the game is the recently released v3.0 version of the game which brings a lot of new and expanded upon features into Aion. Check it out!

Can I have your attention please: We interrupt your regularly scheduled Wayback Wednesday to bring you this special announcement: All Daevas are ordered to report to the Abyss and bring the war back to Aion. Aion has gone completely free to play. Introducing Aion 3.0: The Ascension.

Read more of Rob Lashley's Aion: Wayback Wednesday - A Short Walk Down Memory Lane. We've also got last Wednesday's video for your viewing pleasure so keep reading!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• marz.at.playmarz.at.play Member UncommonPosts: 912

Aion got F2P right! AoC could learn a thing or two here (and every other F2P game for that matter). Both Aion and AoC were favourites of mine in the past. When AoC went F2P I quickly realized how many restrictions it had, and that is was really just a trial until level cap that forced you to subscribe if you wanted to enjoy the end game.

Aion on the other hand gives you everything for free and only has fluff items in the cash shop. Nicely done! I'm already spending money in Aion on appearance changes and name changes. I can play knowing I won't be forced to buy items that would make this P2W. It's great to be back and seeing so many new and old players come back to this game.

Highly recommend you come back to Aion or try it if you haven't in the past...and for all the haters who say it's too "GRINDY"...they fixed that a LONG time ago so stop hating and give it a shot.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    That other video is only a highlight of the mount. This link has the first two hours of the VOD.
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

So far I'm having fun.If you're wandering around looking for a game...you may want to give it a try.

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

It's easily the best F2P game right now IMO.

• GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Another thing that they did was retune some of the group instances into solo instances and lower the level of entry into others. All in all they did a very good job of making this game more accessible to a larger range of gamers.
  • JimyHumuHumuJimyHumuHumu Member UncommonPosts: 251

yep, by far best f2p model so far, lets just hope theres big enough community to support it, or they may end up having to add some imbalanced items to raise some money (if not enough people buy their current cash shop stuff). 

I tried gf version, and imo, its actually great f2p model too, just with some nasty restrictions. But as you can spend in game money to get rid of those restrictions, its not that bad really. But compared to NA version, EU is still a lot less newbie friendly, so to speak (cant trade/use auction, etc).

• wrightstufwrightstuf Member UncommonPosts: 659

Originally posted by JimyHumuHumu

yep, by far best f2p model so far, lets just hope theres big enough community to support it, or they may end up having to add some imbalanced items to raise some money (if not enough people buy their current cash shop stuff). 

I tried gf version, and imo, its actually great f2p model too, just with some nasty restrictions. But as you can spend in game money to get rid of those restrictions, its not that bad really. But compared to NA version, EU is still a lot less newbie friendly, so to speak (cant trade/use auction, etc).

I hope the Tera devs took a close look at this game. IMO, Tera will follow in Aion's footseps identically.

oops, hit quote by mistake. should of been a reply

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Zookz1

It's easily the best F2P game right now IMO.

Fact!

I'm playing Aion FTP until TERA and I can say man its seriously the best free to play game now...

I picked it up when it launched but the grind drove me away 3 months after launch at only level 34. 

Now I'm back, level 42 in less than a week of playing and really enjoying this game.

Why would anyone pay for WoW when you can play Aion for free?

I mean I'd understand for the battle grounds, thats the only real thing I miss.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by wrightstuf

I hope the Tera devs took a close look at this game. IMO, Tera will follow in Aion's footseps identically.

And why would you think that?

I mean since we're going off topic (you did with your post) I'll simply explain why your theory is flawed,

Aion failed origionally because it alienated the NA auidence with excessive grinding, and a lack of real content.

TERA is launching a year after it did in Korea,with a year more content for NA to play around with, and the grind is not even noticable.  They are like night and day.  If you had played both of them you'd know  these things.

Not to mention Aion still has rather game breaking bugs, but its free now so eh, oh well.

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

Originally posted by marz.at.play

Aion on the other hand gives you everything for free and only has fluff items in the cash shop. Nicely done! I'm already spending money in Aion on appearance changes and name changes. I can play knowing I won't be forced to buy items that would make this P2W. It's great to be back and seeing so many new and old players come back to this game.

Highly recommend you come back to Aion or try it if you haven't in the past...and for all the haters who say it's too "GRINDY"...they fixed that a LONG time ago so stop hating and give it a shot.

I always wanted to play Aion but couldn't afford to pay that extra cash for monthly sub. I tried the beta and liked the game a lot. Thanks to the Dev for making it F2P and improving lots of features. I'm now playing Aion 3.0! Yay.

I also like AoC and will wait to see what the Dev will do to make it really F2P in the near future!

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

So Ive been playing Aion on the new server. Pretty much an amazing F2P game. I checked out the cashshop and decided to pick up a few minor things just to show support on what I think, in my opinion, is the correct f2p model, albeit very risky.

Few questions for veteran Aion players, why can't I create one of the "good" characters on ANY of the servers? I understand having only one type of character/faction per server, but I am unable to create ANY good character on ANY server after I created my first toon on the "evil" faction.

Another question: I don't mind grind. Matter of fact if there is ENOUGH content, you never truly feel the grind, that is unless u are one of the spoiled new-age gamers who wants everything NOW NOW NOW.

Will I reach max level in Aion in a week? I ask because I keep hearing about all the changes to the grind that was made, if so I will pass.

Is the content easy at higher levels? I prefer an actual challenge.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Originally posted by marz.at.play

Aion got F2P right! AoC could learn a thing or two here (and every other F2P game for that matter). Both Aion and AoC were favourites of mine in the past. When AoC went F2P I quickly realized how many restrictions it had, and that is was really just a trial until level cap that forced you to subscribe if you wanted to enjoy the end game.

Aion has a great F2P system in place, that being said it is still the same ole , same ole game I played 6 months ago, in short boreing, I will play Tera which has a much better combat system

• PopplePopple Member UncommonPosts: 239

Stick to perfect world..Aion is a carbon copy of it..At least you can fly all over the place in Perfect world..In Aion you are limted and need to take a transporter to go plave to place..Serious compare the two Perfect world is much better..

I retired retroactively..Haha

• anniebarlowanniebarlow Member Posts: 1

Originally posted by Nevulus

So Ive been playing Aion on the new server. Pretty much an amazing F2P game. I checked out the cashshop and decided to pick up a few minor things just to show support on what I think, in my opinion, is the correct f2p model, albeit very risky.

Few questions for veteran Aion players, why can't I create one of the "good" characters on ANY of the servers? I understand having only one type of character/faction per server, but I am unable to create ANY good character on ANY server after I created my first toon on the "evil" faction.

Another question: I don't mind grind. Matter of fact if there is ENOUGH content, you never truly feel the grind, that is unless u are one of the spoiled new-age gamers who wants everything NOW NOW NOW.

Will I reach max level in Aion in a week? I ask because I keep hearing about all the changes to the grind that was made, if so I will pass.

Is the content easy at higher levels? I prefer an actual challenge.

Neither of them is good or evil. Depending on your point of view, Elyos can be evil....

Character creations are restricted as there are too many Elyos everywhere, need more Asmodians ;)

• diabisdiabis Member Posts: 35

Agreed the Elyos get over made because it is assumed that sun means good. It is the Balor that are the evil. Actually the Elyos storyline wise have a Nobilty point of veiw because they got the sun side when the planet was torn apart. The Asmodians are the survivors they managed to adapt and survive. ;-P

Look for the Rose with the Thorn.

• AlexlongwellAlexlongwell Member UncommonPosts: 23

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Originally posted by wrightstuf

And why would you think that?

I mean since we're going off topic (you did with your post) I'll simply explain why your theory is flawed,

Aion failed origionally because it alienated the NA auidence with excessive grinding, and a lack of real content.

TERA is launching a year after it did in Korea,with a year more content for NA to play around with, and the grind is not even noticable.  They are like night and day.  If you had played both of them you'd know  these things.

Not to mention Aion still has rather game breaking bugs, but its free now so eh, oh well.

Meh, been playing aion since launch, the content is there and has always been there. There is tons of content throught the lvling up experience, end game content is more of a gear grind, but what game isnt(besides GW2). It is a pvpve game  and  has made vast improvment in alot of areas(some are still lacking). I have never encountered a game breaking bug int the 2+ years ive been playing.

Tera on the other hand...i wanted to play it but hear nothing but bad things. Repeatative combat that leaves your hands cramped, lack of content(even after being released a year later in NA) failing in Korea, horrible pvp. Now im not one to not try a game because of what other people say, i like to make up my own opinions, but rolled an asmo(always been eylos) on the new server and am having a blast, so it may be a little while till i get around to trying it out.

In no means is Aion perfect, but it has been one of the few games to keep my attention for a extended period of time.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

The game support is still just horrible.  Why, even as a free to play I will not touch it.

• UronksurUronksur Member UncommonPosts: 310

It's the depressing that one of the big highlights of Aion 3.0 is obscenely priced vanity mounts (wait, aren't we supposed to be Ascended demigods with wings? And we're buying horses and flying carpets?) with funny emotes. But then again, from the emails and stuff I get about Aion from NCsoft, they've been under the impression that all they need to make people play again is more vanity shop clothing items and pets for a long time.

For heaven's sake, I want music that doesn't sound like an elevator, a story that actually has some tension in it, decent support, and all the bugs to go away.