Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question for the community: Why do Rifts annoy you?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Something came up in another thread here, as well on the official forum when it comes to the topic of Rifts and dynamic events.

Seems like some people dislike when rift spawn enemies that kill your quest givers in the area, preventing players from completing quest.

Looking at this, it would be kind of annoying if I were trying to level and wanted to complete my quest from the large Exp chunk from the quest.

But my question is,

1) Would this be less annoying to you, if there were no need to level? (as in, the game had no levels)

2) Would this be less annoying to you, if fighting events and rifts rewarded exp better than Quest? (More exp and drops from events that were better than the exp you get from quest turn in)

3) What if you didn’t need to turn in quest anymore? (Similar to how a pop-up window comes up in WoW for completing quest)

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

The problem with the...ahem...rifts in Rift is the fact that they are an aside to leveling.  Your main path to the level cap still consists of running from quest hub to quest hub, and when an invasion takes over your quest hub, you're forced to slog through previously optional content to complete the main content.  In GW2, the DEs (similar to rits) ARE the main content, so your entire progression will center around stopping that invasion from attacking your camp rather than that particular invasion impeding your progression.

That is to say, I don't really find the rifts very interesting either.  Much like the rest of Rift (don't beat me), I find them to be pretty generic and devoid of any flavor or characte.  They're little else than elementally themed waves of mobs.  The PQs in Warhammer were much more entertaining, and the DEs in GW2 look far better as well.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by SuperXero89

The problem with the...ahem...rifts in Rift is the fact that they are an aside to leveling.  Your main path to the level cap still consists of running from quest hub to quest hub, and when an invasion takes over your quest hub, you're forced to slog through previously optional content to complete the main content.  In GW2, the DEs (similar to rits) ARE the main content, so your entire progression will center around stopping that invasion from attacking your camp rather than that particular invasion impeding your progression.

That is to say, I don't really find the rifts very interesting either.  Much like the rest of Rift (don't beat me), I find them to be pretty generic and devoid of any flavor or characte.  They're little else than elementally themed waves of mobs.  The PQs in Warhammer were much more entertaining, and the DEs in GW2 look far better as well.

Prety much this.  The rifts almost seemed like pvp in most games:  tacked on.  I remember when we had the beta weekends and I was leveling up, I kept being told that there were more rift types the higher level you got.  I never saw them even when I hit max level for the given weekend event.  They were just the same things over and over in varying sizes.  I wanted something to do other than a quest grind, but there just wasn't enough variety to make that worthwhile either.