Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trying to decide between this and TERA. Has GW2 got a fully open and seamless world?

Comments

• gainesvilleggainesvilleg Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by Charlizzard

Originally posted by gainesvilleg

Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Or does the game contain many instanced zones?

The zones are instanced.  The towns are instanced.  The dungeons are instanced.  The personal story quests are instanced. 

Also, the teleporting will make the game feel even more instanced than that.

Best way to play if you like to feel immersed in the world is to stay in a single zone, don't teleport, don't visit the towns, and don't do your personal quests.

Still engaged in your one-man campaign of misinformation eh. How's that working out for you?

Oh really now?  So what information was inaccurate above?  So you are saying the cities and zones are one instance then, no loading screens?  You are saying the dungeons, zones, and cities are one instance, no loading screens?  You are saying that teleporting doesn't give loading screens (for the APPERANCE) of instancing.  You are saying your personal quests are in the open world no instancing?

NOTHING I have EVER posted is wrong information.  It is either CORRECT information or OPINIONS.

If you are saying it is one big instance that includes all the zones, dungeons, cities, and personal quests then who here is posting misinformation?

GW2 "built from the ground up with microtransactions in mind"
    1) Cash->Gems->Gold->Influence->WvWvWBoosts = PAY2WIN
    2) Mystic Chests = Crass in-game cash shop advertisements

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

The zones are instanced.  The towns are instanced.  The dungeons are instanced.  The personal story quests are instanced. 

Best way to play if you like to feel immersed in the world is to stay in a single zone, don't teleport, don't visit the towns, and don't do your personal quests.

Still engaged in your one-man campaign of misinformation eh. How's that working out for you?

Oh really now?  So what information was inaccurate above?  So you are saying the cities and zones are one instance then, no loading screens?  You are saying the dungeons, zones, and cities are one instance, no loading screens?  You are saying that teleporting doesn't give loading screens (for the APPERANCE) of instancing.  You are saying your personal quests are in the open world no instancing?

NOTHING I have EVER posted is wrong information.  It is either CORRECT information or OPINIONS.

If you are saying it is one big instance that includes all the zones, dungeons, cities, and personal quests then who here is posting misinformation?

I love how you didn't repeat your first piece of misinformation that there are instances in zones.  One of the 25 zones has been quoted as being the size of 4 to 5  zones in any other MMO and there are no instances in the zones "ala SWTOR.  

If you teleport within a zone it is quoted as being near instanteous, after all it is teleporting. 5 team dungeons are instanced, but, as video has proven, there are dozens of dungeons in zones waiting to be found and discovered.  There are even dynamic events that produce different boss monsters in these dungeons.  

Cities contain several instanced areas to accomodate the number of people who hub to cities.  

There isn't a personal story that doesnt have most of its content instanced. COnsidering only SWTOR has a personal story, it's a pretty small pool. I'm sure these areas are instanced cause its hard to give a PERSONAL  story if everyone was invited to a party.  

All you do is spread information. Don't you have a carrot to go try and grab? 

Originally posted by dontadow

I love how you didn't repeat your first piece of misinformation that there are instances in zones.  One of the 25 zones has been quoted as being the size of 4 to 5  zones in any other MMO and there are no instances in the zones "ala SWTOR.  

If you teleport within a zone it is quoted as being near instanteous, after all it is teleporting. 5 team dungeons are instanced, but, as video has proven, there are dozens of dungeons in zones waiting to be found and discovered.  There are even dynamic events that produce different boss monsters in these dungeons.  

Cities contain several instanced areas to accomodate the number of people who hub to cities.  

There isn't a personal story that doesnt have most of its content instanced. COnsidering only SWTOR has a personal story, it's a pretty small pool. I'm sure these areas are instanced cause its hard to give a PERSONAL  story if everyone was invited to a party.  

So you are objecting to my saying zones are instanced?  There are as you said 25 zones, each their own instance.  So what exactly is incorrect in saying the zones are instanced if there are 25 different instances LOL?

You have baically agreed with everything I said.  I guess because I didn't pepper my description with "And GW2 is the greatest game ever so there are 25 instanced zones" and "Of course GW2 made the perfect decision to instance off the cities" etc.

Some of us don't like the design choices in GW2, despite how difficult that is for the true believers to understand...

So you are objecting to my saying zones are instanced?  There are as you said 25 zones, each their own instance.  So what exactly is incorrect in saying the zones are instanced if there are 25 different instances LOL?

You have baically agreed with everything I said.  I guess because I didn't pepper my description with "And GW2 is the greatest game ever so there are 25 instanced zones" and "Of course GW2 made the perfect decision to instance off the cities" etc.

Some of us don't like the design choices in GW2, despite how difficult that is for the true believers to understand...

A zone is not an instance. By your definition one big zone would be one big instance. By the way it's always been, an instance is only an instance if it can produce an identical version of itself for each individual group or person.    So, for the sake of truth, (it must be sad that you see the game you play as so dated, that you go out and disparage other games. My dad still plays his intellivision, He doesn't come to my house trying to diss my xbox or ps3) I will give you the definition as it is printed in Simon Carless (2004). Gaming hacks. O'Reilly Media. p. 112. ISBN 9780596007140

In massively multiplayer online games, an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area.

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Red information is incorrect, green information is correct.  Yellow is your opinion.  You are not using Instance correctly.  The presence of a loading screen does not constitute an instance.  For it to be an instance, there has to be a separate version for some subset of the players.  If you enter a zone and everyone else who entered the zone is also in there, then it's not an instance, it's just a zone.

Here are the top 4 results of googling for "mmo instance definition":  See the underlined recurring theme.

Definition: A segment of gameplay in MMORPGs in which players form a group together and enter a special area in the game world, usually through some type of portal. They are then essentially cut off from the rest of the gamers in that only people who are in the group when the group passes through the portal will be able to enter the dungeon with them. Other groups may enter the dungeon, but will not encounter the first group, hence they are in a different INSTANCE of the same dungeon. The use of instances allows players to avoid the risk of kill-stealing or spawn-camping by other players. Loot and monster level inside an instance is usually higher than anywhere else in the game world, and there are usually specific systems in place to ensure the fair distribution of loot among party members.

Usage: My guild just did a new instance for the first time and I won some pretty awesome loot.

In massively multiplayer online games, an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area.

A copy of a particular dungeon for a group of players. Instanced dungeons are parallel worlds which let different groups of players explore the same dungeon in separate groups.

Instance - Instancing is the concept of creating an entire copy of a zone or area that only a specific individual or group of individuals can access at a time. The instanced zone is private to that person or persons, and cannot be accessed by other random players. This is frequently done so the story or scripted events can unfold in a logical manner and not be interfered with by outside players.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• Skyy_HighSkyy_High Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 138

Originally posted by afhn2110

Depending on what you are looking for:

Open world advantage Tera

OWPVP advantage Tera (GW2 is limited to pvp in the pvp areas)

Lore and PVE advantage GW2

Cost advantage GW2

Just depends on what you want...I'm more into Tera as I'm all about OWPVP...GW2 has limited pvp yet they hype it up as its server vs server...no one reallyc ares about that.  For pvp, go tera...pve go GW2.  Both should be crisp and solid games.  So far I can vouch for Tera's support, they have been great.

I assure you, people do care about the 3 server WvW format. Two faction open world PvP has been done to death. Three faction open world PvP hasn't been touched since DAoC. 

Oh, and the above is correct: GW2's open world is not instanced, not in the way that people generally think of when they think of instances, at least. It's a fully persistent world, with loading screens in between the big areas. Every other MMO is built the same way, they just hide it better by loading in the background and funneling you through some canyon or something when you go between zones. The zones also encompass huge level ranges, so really, you should not be hitting loading screens terribly often. 

Also: if waypoints destroy your immersion, I really don't care. Feel free to walk. I don't have the time to waste to sit on griffons anymore. 

Why play MMOs when your delusionary world sounds so much better.  I agreed with what you were saying??? In my first sentence I proved your statement a lie at best.  For the record, all dungeons aren't instanced, zones arent instanced and cities are not instanced, by the definition of what an instance is.  

Cities s and zones are , well zones, which means they are spread out among the server to not tax it from the other heavy use of the other zones.  

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194

Cost advantage GW2

Just depends on what you want...I'm more into Tera as I'm all about OWPVP...GW2 has limited pvp yet they hype it up as its server vs server...no one reallyc ares about that.  For pvp, go tera...pve go GW2.  Both should be crisp and solid games.  So far I can vouch for Tera's support, they have been great.

I wouldn't call a £60 game with a cash shop an advtantage :P Js

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by Skyy_High

Cost advantage GW2

I assure you, people do care about the 3 server WvW format. Two faction open world PvP has been done to death. Three faction open world PvP hasn't been touched since DAoC. 

Tera doesn't have two factions PVP.

Oh and GW2 doesn't have thee faction open world PVP, you can't get killed while doing Dynamic Events.

It's more like three faction PVP in a zone separated from the main game world.

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802

the red is whats inaccurate as you very well know but insist on spreading your false info. 

Originally posted by Skyy_High

Cost advantage GW2

I'd probably clarify and say for open world PVP that is in the save zone as PVE, then tera's great. But if you want to play in a game that has a focused and structured PVP area and/or a strong PVE area then go with GW.  WvW is centered around PVP.  Open world PVP is a a PVE zone that allows players to attack other players. There's no focus, no goal, no stratagies, just gank the noob when he signs on.  

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Perhaps you are using a different definition of "instanced" that many people are.

I would subscribe to the following:

In massively multiplayer online games, an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area.[1] Instancing, the general term for the use of this technique,[1] addresses several problems encountered by players in the shared spaces of virtual worlds. It is not widely known when instances were first used in this genre, however The Realm Online (1996) is sometimes credited as introducing the concept.

So no, in fact, neither zones nor main cities are "instanced". Yes, they do have loading screens which last between 5 and 10 seconds, but they are not a uniquely generated location for each person or party that enters them. They are a shared area across the entire server. Now you could argue that loading screens break immersion, and I would tend to agree, but I'm willing to live with them.

Yes, personal stories are instanced, though they can be shared with other players. Yes, dungeons are instanced.

You appear to be arguing that loading screens = instances, which is neither true nor an opinion. So are you misinformed or spreading misinformation?

At any rate, hope to see you in game.

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

Originally posted by cali59

Red information is incorrect, green information is correct.  Yellow is your opinion.  You are not using Instance correctly.  The presence of a loading screen does not constitute an instance.  For it to be an instance, there has to be a separate version for some subset of the players.  If you enter a zone and everyone else who entered the zone is also in there, then it's not an instance, it's just a zone.

Here are the top 4 results of googling for "mmo instance definition":  See the underlined recurring theme.

Definition: A segment of gameplay in MMORPGs in which players form a group together and enter a special area in the game world, usually through some type of portal. They are then essentially cut off from the rest of the gamers in that only people who are in the group when the group passes through the portal will be able to enter the dungeon with them. Other groups may enter the dungeon, but will not encounter the first group, hence they are in a different INSTANCE of the same dungeon. The use of instances allows players to avoid the risk of kill-stealing or spawn-camping by other players. Loot and monster level inside an instance is usually higher than anywhere else in the game world, and there are usually specific systems in place to ensure the fair distribution of loot among party members.

Usage: My guild just did a new instance for the first time and I won some pretty awesome loot.

In massively multiplayer online games, an instance is a special area, typically a dungeon, that generates a new copy of the location for each group, or for certain number of players, that enters the area.

A copy of a particular dungeon for a group of players. Instanced dungeons are parallel worlds which let different groups of players explore the same dungeon in separate groups.

Instance - Instancing is the concept of creating an entire copy of a zone or area that only a specific individual or group of individuals can access at a time. The instanced zone is private to that person or persons, and cannot be accessed by other random players. This is frequently done so the story or scripted events can unfold in a logical manner and not be interfered with by outside players.

Fair enough.  Was using the term "instance" as shorthand.  But just change it to "NOT OPEN AND NOT SEAMLESS" which was the OP's question anyway.  So I will rephrase because the GW2 defenders are out in force:

1) The open world of zones is NOT open and NOT seamless.  There are 25 seperate zones with loading screens between them

2) The cities are NOT open and NOT seamless.  There are different areas with loading screens between them and between the outdoor zones

3) The dungeons are NOT open and NOT seamless.  There are multiple copies ("instanced") and there are loading screens when entering or exiting them

4) The personal stoiry quests are NOT open and NOT seamless.  There are multiple copies ("instanced") and there are loading screens when entering or exiting them.

5) Teleporting gives the appearance of NOT open and NOT seamless because there are loading screens when you do this

Therefore, if you wish to feel immersed in the GW2 world the best way to play is to stay in a single zone, don't teleport, don't enter cities, don't enter dungeons, and don't do your personal story quests.

Man, all that precision just to satisfy the angry GW2 mob.  As much as it pains the GW2 crowd, I am NOT posting misinformation although I guess in the interest of brevety I have shortened my descriptions down (like using term "instance") so people don't have to read a wall of text as I dot all the i's and cross all the t's in my arguments...

• DerpybirdDerpybird Member Posts: 991

Man, all that precision just to satisfy the angry GW2 mob.  As much as it pains the GW2 crowd, I am NOT posting misinformation although I guess in the interest of brevety I have shortened my descriptions down (like using term "instance") so people don't have to read a wall of text as I dot all the i's and cross all the t's in my arguments...

This is precious. Do you work for Fox News?

"Loading screens" are not "instances".
    Your personal efforts to troll any game will not, in fact, impact the success or failure of said game.

This is precious. Do you work for Fox News?

No of course not.  I working as a freelance consultant to every MMO company other than Anet.  We are so scared that GW2 will take all the players from every other MMO on the planet that we MUST lead a campaign of disinformation against this godly game called GW2, also known as "the savior of the MMO genre."  We are very frightened and there are thousands of us on the payroll to stop this GW2 before it ends world hunger and eliminates our dependence on foreign oil.

The devious tactics I employ are using terms such as "instance" instead of saying "is not open and seamless."  What was I thinking!

Now, please let me go back to my masters and see how I should proceed now that this term "instance" has been brought into the light LOL...

• starstar Member Posts: 1,101

going to just copy/paste this in every thread that even sniffs of this debate from now own

Alright. I skipped over the majority of the thread, but by page 2 there were so much misinformation being tossed around that I had to step in. 

Note: I have played GW2 multiple times, including AT ARENA NET. I've probably played the game more than anyone on this forum, or website, excluding some of the employees. I. Know. What. I. Am. Talking. About.

There are loading screens: 

A) Loading into your Personal Story (including portions that take place in the open world)

B) Loading into your home district

C) Loading into any of the cities

AND D) Between zones. There are portals between zones. Period. End of Story. Anyone else who says otherwise is incorrect.

the game world is not seamless. period. end of story/

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

Originally posted by star

going to just copy/paste this in every thread that even sniffs of this debate from now own

Alright. I skipped over the majority of the thread, but by page 2 there were so much misinformation being tossed around that I had to step in. 

Note: I have played GW2 multiple times, including AT ARENA NET. I've probably played the game more than anyone on this forum, or website, excluding some of the employees. I. Know. What. I. Am. Talking. About.

A) Loading into your Personal Story (including portions that take place in the open world)

AND D) Between zones. There are portals between zones. Period. End of Story. Anyone else who says otherwise is incorrect.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Originally posted by star

This ^.

Honestly, neither of the games are seamless, they just handle it differently. Both have instances for certain parts of their game, and both have loading screens (though they function a bit differently in each game). GW2 gives you a traditional loading screen for any loading, TERA mixes between that (dungeons / pvp battlegrounds / etc.) and a flight portal animation which hides the fact that you are loading a new zone. (you are basically flying through a vortex during that time). Overall, though TERA feels more like what WoW had, except with instanced zones (multiple channels per zone), whereas GW2 does not have channels per zone, but rather has loading screens between each one.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

Cost advantage GW2

You have it backwards.

Originally posted by RizelStar

GW2 = no

TERA = yes

However, many people on these forums seem to be unclear as to what an instance actually is. An instance is a copy of parts of the game world that exist on the same server. For example, PvP battlegrounds / warzones are instances (same map, different copies).

GW2's instances = personal story, personal instance, dungeons, PvP battlegrounds.

TERA's instances = everything (The world does feel more seamless, but the entire game has channels (copies) for each zone)

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Guildwars 2 Zones are instanced by portals.

Originally posted by moosecatlol

Guildwars 2 Zones are instanced by portals.

Dunno if that's an attempt at humor, but there's already a lot of missinformation about what an instance actually is.

You are incorrect, sir.

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,152

I cant believe we are still educating people on the difference between an Area, an Instance and a Zone.

Clearly this must come from a lack of diversity in thier games, probably only played a couple MMOs, and decided they had it all figured out.

Absolutly astonishing!

Originally posted by Adalwulff

I cant believe we are still educating people on the difference between an Area, an Instance and a Zone.

Clearly this must come from a lack of diversity in thier games, probably only played a couple MMOs, and decided they had it all figured out.

Absolutly astonishing!

Meh... it's the internet. Not exactly known as a haven for the educated.

More like a crap shoot. It's not surprising that a lot of people don't have a clue as to what those 3 actually mean. What is annoying, though is that many of them have been told repeatedly and been given official definitions and still don't seem to understand.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Buy Tera, then when you've had enough sugar injected via your eyeballs, try GW2.